Color Inspiration, uncategorized

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

January 12, 2012

When undertaking a decorating project, one of the first considerations is color and what your overall palette will be in addition to floor plan, furnishings, lighting, etc. Color sets the mood. If you need color inspiration, check out Design Seeds founded by color consultant Jessica Colaluca. Here are 8 of my favorite palettes at the moment, all dreamed up by talented Jessica.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

Fun for a kitchen or living room: Treat Tones.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

Very relaxed for the bedroom yet also a bit energetic for mornings when you don’t want to get out of bed: Produced Purple.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

This could be a nice entryway, I see a very glamorous chandelier in silver discs suspended from the ceiling and a huge mirror above a lacquered white entry table: Glamorous Escape.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

I love this palette – so fresh and inspiring – perfect for a child’s playroom or a crafting space for mom: Boxed Palette.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

I see this and think of a nursery for the newest gift to the family: Present Tones.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

A very happy and stylish palette, this looks like the office for a fashion designer or for a magazine editor: Glow Brights.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

Very cottage in the country, a nice palette for a guest bedroom in your country home: Pink Plans.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

I imagine a room with super dark walls so this could be charming in a very little nook in your home where you read and relax: Bouquet Hues.

Design Seeds even has lovely color palette books on Blurb and she has a zillion of them that you can view on her blog by color. Her “Creature Color” book is a favorite of mine, combining sweet animal shots with color palette ideas.

Color Palettes From Design Seeds

If you are not interested in using these for your next decorating project, why not think of other clever ways you can put these palettes to good use. If you design websites, these could be a great jumping off point. Perhaps you are a book cover designer? Scrapbook queen? Maybe you can put together a wedding using a palette from Design Seeds? Or compose your next outfit? Maybe plan out how you will wrap presents or something as simple as using one of these palettes to base your own mood board from over your work desk?

Psst: Design Seeds clearly even explains in THIS POST how to use her palettes to match the color and convert them to Pantone colors exactly – brilliant!

This is such a great resource, isn’t it!?

(images: design seeds)

You Might Also Like

37 Comments

• Reply Susan @ The Kitchen Designerr January 12, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yes, this is an incredible resource! Such delectable, elegant, fun, sophisticated and fresh palettes! But, more than that…super inspiring!

• Reply kalanicut January 12, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Ah, every one of these is so gorgeous. I like realizing that there are so many colors that inspire me when I see them in a gorgeous palette of colors. I’m not a big purple person, but with the perfect palette I’m going gaga for it. Thanks for sharing these!

• Reply Jillian January 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I tend to get in color ruts whether I’m designing for myself or others. I love putting together color palettes like these for inspiration. I really like her inspirational images and the graphic aspect of the fonts and layouts.

• Reply Punctuation Mark January 12, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love all of these palettes but have to say my favorite is the purple one!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy January 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

These are a treat for the eyes!! I am going to spend some time looking at these palettes -they are inspiring…and I’ve got some painting to do! Thanks for sharing -it’s beautiful!

• Reply Wen January 12, 2012 at 8:25 pm

You’ve read my mind :-) Great resource, I like the palettes you have chosen: specially the glow brights!

• Reply Artplay by Vivian Hawker January 12, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I love, love, love this! Such a great resource! Lately I’m really drawn to a soft almost pastel palette of colors for my art (with a pop of bright color). This gives me so many great ideas for my next Graphic Word Play paintings. Thanks so much and I can’t wait until your next book (your last book was one I look at almost daily for inspiration)!

• Reply Laetitia January 12, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I found design seeds a couple months ago and it’s like going to heaven every time i visit the site! I don’t visit everyday just so I can save it all up and get a massive dose of colour inspiration! So happy to see her posted on here!

• Reply Jen @ Opal Never Shouts January 12, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I love design seeds! Such a great way to start a project, I absolutely love the neautral palette of browns, taupes and creams. So glamourous…

• Reply Karena January 12, 2012 at 9:04 pm

The Produced Purple with the wonderful Fig hues, adore!!

Xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

• Reply Vicki January 12, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Wow, what a beautiful post! She has a real talent. This post is pure eye candy. :)

Soory I haven’t visited lately, Holly. I was really sick the past couple of months. Good to be back to take in all the beauty on Decor 8 …. the first design blog I discovered 3 years ago. xo

~ Vicki

• Reply Glenda Childers January 13, 2012 at 12:14 am

Such beautiful color combinations … makes me want to paint something.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Jessica January 13, 2012 at 1:26 am

What an amazing tool! Love those glow brights

• Reply Splendidlywendy January 13, 2012 at 1:55 am

How awesome and yes! truly a superb resource!!

• Reply Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita January 13, 2012 at 2:00 am

Such happy colors! Love the Glamorous Escape! 20’s style has certainly made a comeback!

• Reply Tina Ramchandani January 13, 2012 at 2:31 am

These are so pretty and so inspiring! Thanks for sharing Holly!

• Reply Kathi January 13, 2012 at 4:12 am

what a great resource, making me think outside of the box already

• Reply Marloes January 13, 2012 at 8:40 am

So beautiful! Thank you for introducing Design Seeds, I immediately favourited it.

• Reply Judy January 13, 2012 at 9:27 am

I love the pink and bouquet palette!! But usually, I decorate in blue instead of pink, maybe I only just like the oink color! And the bouquet hues are really my favorite!!

• Reply Fröken Prickig January 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

Thank you for the inspiration! That website was great!

• Reply Rose January 13, 2012 at 11:03 am

This is such an exciting post – I am totally gaga for colour and colour combinations. Just looking at these images, I am so inspired by the artistic, authentic beauty of her work. Am I ever glad her name came across my path. thanks so much Holly for opening a world of beautiful people, places and things to us.

• Reply Ilze January 13, 2012 at 11:05 am

What a great find !!!! SOO many talented people. Color is KING !! Thanks for posting Holly.

• Reply caro January 13, 2012 at 11:35 am

I love Seeds and I often came to the website when I have to layout a new brochure or an invitation or something. It’s really inspiring and so helpful :)

• Reply Heather January 13, 2012 at 12:16 pm

My goodness. This site is just gorgeous! I love it. Just what I needed to chase the winter greys away.
    Heather

• Reply Collette Osuna January 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE Design Seeds…..I just recently discovered the site on Pinterest…..love the palettes!!!

• Reply Natasha Williams January 13, 2012 at 4:21 pm

What a great resource, I love the Glow Brights palette. The handbook Color Index 2 is normally my resource for color palette inspiration.

• Reply Shalini January 13, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Very inspiring idea, loved previewing the book ‘Global Color’. It inspires me to think about what scenery inspires me and how I’d like to incorporate that into my work and home.

• Reply viv January 13, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Great resource! I am in the process of decorating my new apartment and this was the info I needed.

• Reply Carmen January 13, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Fantastic !

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang January 14, 2012 at 4:56 am

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply dialoguewithspace January 14, 2012 at 5:18 am

beautiful inspiration! great job!!!

• Reply mariwitch January 15, 2012 at 1:34 am

These color palettes are so great that I will find excuses to use them — I am actually considering applying them to my presentation slides at work since my projects often has a theme and I am so particular about having presentation slides that delight and do not bore. Thanks for sharing! :)

• Reply Andy Mathis January 16, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Oh, wow. I was familiar with the site, but not aware that there was a book of Critters available. Will have to check it out, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Chrystina January 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I love the idea of breaking out pictures by color, it’s a great way to remember what color combinations inspire you!

• Reply amy January 17, 2012 at 6:27 am

i absolutely adore this site. just so much gorgeousness and color inspiration. it’s one of those kinds of resources you can’t help but bookmark right away.

• Reply susan January 18, 2012 at 2:33 am

I’d love to use Treat Tones for an updated crochet granny square blanket!

• Reply Bobbijo Harrison April 27, 2014 at 12:58 pm

I love their colour schemes, but the design of their ebooks seems to be lacking something.