Color Palettes From Design Seeds

When undertaking a decorating project, one of the first considerations is color and what your overall palette will be in addition to floor plan, furnishings, lighting, etc. Color sets the mood. If you need color inspiration, check out Design Seeds founded by color consultant Jessica Colaluca. Here are 8 of my favorite palettes at the moment, all dreamed up by talented Jessica.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

Fun for a kitchen or living room: Treat Tones.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

Very relaxed for the bedroom yet also a bit energetic for mornings when you don’t want to get out of bed: Produced Purple.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

This could be a nice entryway, I see a very glamorous chandelier in silver discs suspended from the ceiling and a huge mirror above a lacquered white entry table: Glamorous Escape.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

I love this palette – so fresh and inspiring – perfect for a child’s playroom or a crafting space for mom: Boxed Palette.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

I see this and think of a nursery for the newest gift to the family: Present Tones.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

A very happy and stylish palette, this looks like the office for a fashion designer or for a magazine editor: Glow Brights.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

Very cottage in the country, a nice palette for a guest bedroom in your country home: Pink Plans.

8 Palettes from Design Seeds

I imagine a room with super dark walls so this could be charming in a very little nook in your home where you read and relax: Bouquet Hues.

Design Seeds even has lovely color palette books on Blurb and she has a zillion of them that you can view on her blog by color. Her “Creature Color” book is a favorite of mine, combining sweet animal shots with color palette ideas.

Creature Colors Book

If you are not interested in using these for your next decorating project, why not think of other clever ways you can put these palettes to good use. If you design websites, these could be a great jumping off point. Perhaps you are a book cover designer? Scrapbook queen? Maybe you can put together a wedding using a palette from Design Seeds? Or compose your next outfit? Maybe plan out how you will wrap presents or something as simple as using one of these palettes to base your own mood board from over your work desk?

Psst: Design Seeds clearly even explains in THIS POST how to use her palettes to match the color and convert them to Pantone colors exactly – brilliant!

This is such a great resource, isn’t it!?

(images: design seeds)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, uncategorized on January 12, 2012

1. Susan @ The Kitchen Designerr commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 7:37pm

Yes, this is an incredible resource! Such delectable, elegant, fun, sophisticated and fresh palettes! But, more than that…super inspiring!
    Susan @ The Kitchen Designerr´s last blog post ..Kohler Design Center – Kitchen & Bath Plumbing Products, Furniture, Tile

2. kalanicut commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 7:40pm

Ah, every one of these is so gorgeous. I like realizing that there are so many colors that inspire me when I see them in a gorgeous palette of colors. I’m not a big purple person, but with the perfect palette I’m going gaga for it. Thanks for sharing these!
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Ask For What You Want

3. Jillian commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:07pm

I tend to get in color ruts whether I’m designing for myself or others. I love putting together color palettes like these for inspiration. I really like her inspirational images and the graphic aspect of the fonts and layouts.
    Jillian´s last blog post ..Iowa Nice: Why I Love Living Here

4. Punctuation Mark commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:09pm

I love all of these palettes but have to say my favorite is the purple one!
    Punctuation Mark´s last blog post ..Rosemary

5. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:25pm

These are a treat for the eyes!! I am going to spend some time looking at these palettes -they are inspiring…and I’ve got some painting to do! Thanks for sharing -it’s beautiful!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Neighborhood: Cedros Avenue, Solana Beach

6. Wen commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:25pm

You’ve read my mind :-) Great resource, I like the palettes you have chosen: specially the glow brights!
    Wen´s last blog post ..TODAY’S INSPIRATION: Design Seeds

7. Artplay by Vivian Hawker commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:36pm

I love, love, love this! Such a great resource! Lately I’m really drawn to a soft almost pastel palette of colors for my art (with a pop of bright color). This gives me so many great ideas for my next Graphic Word Play paintings. Thanks so much and I can’t wait until your next book (your last book was one I look at almost daily for inspiration)!
    Artplay by Vivian Hawker´s last blog post ..Original Custom Graphic "I LOVE YOU" Canvas Painting

8. Laetitia commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 8:43pm

I found design seeds a couple months ago and it’s like going to heaven every time i visit the site! I don’t visit everyday just so I can save it all up and get a massive dose of colour inspiration! So happy to see her posted on here!

9. Jen @ Opal Never Shouts commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 9:01pm

I love design seeds! Such a great way to start a project, I absolutely love the neautral palette of browns, taupes and creams. So glamourous…

10. Karena commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 9:04pm

The Produced Purple with the wonderful Fig hues, adore!!

Xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..A Special Interview with Kansas City Artist Gregory Summers

11. Vicki commented
    January 12th, 2012 at 9:41pm

Wow, what a beautiful post! She has a real talent. This post is pure eye candy. :)

Soory I haven’t visited lately, Holly. I was really sick the past couple of months. Good to be back to take in all the beauty on Decor 8 …. the first design blog I discovered 3 years ago. xo

~ Vicki
    Vicki´s last blog post ..REGISTRATION for Raining Umbrellas Now Open!

12. Glenda Childers commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 12:14am

Such beautiful color combinations … makes me want to paint something.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Solving Problems at … The Container Store

13. Jessica commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 1:26am

What an amazing tool! Love those glow brights
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Beach Valentine

14. Splendidlywendy commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 1:55am

How awesome and yes! truly a superb resource!!

15. Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 2:00am

Such happy colors! Love the Glamorous Escape! 20′s style has certainly made a comeback!
    Michelle @ AM Dolce Vita´s last blog post ..Giveaway: Pair of Trellis Ikat Pillow Cushion Covers

16. Tina Ramchandani commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 2:31am

These are so pretty and so inspiring! Thanks for sharing Holly!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Design Spotlights

17. Kathi commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 4:12am

what a great resource, making me think outside of the box already

18. Marloes commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 8:40am

So beautiful! Thank you for introducing Design Seeds, I immediately favourited it.

19. Judy commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 9:27am

I love the pink and bouquet palette!! But usually, I decorate in blue instead of pink, maybe I only just like the oink color! And the bouquet hues are really my favorite!!
    Judy´s last blog post ..Can’t Fall Asleep? Le’s Count The Little Lambs!

20. Fröken Prickig commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 10:12am

Thank you for the inspiration! That website was great!
    Fröken Prickig´s last blog post ..Ett ord duger

21. Rose commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 11:03am

This is such an exciting post – I am totally gaga for colour and colour combinations. Just looking at these images, I am so inspired by the artistic, authentic beauty of her work. Am I ever glad her name came across my path. thanks so much Holly for opening a world of beautiful people, places and things to us.

22. Ilze commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 11:05am

What a great find !!!! SOO many talented people. Color is KING !! Thanks for posting Holly.

23. caro commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 11:35am

I love Seeds and I often came to the website when I have to layout a new brochure or an invitation or something. It’s really inspiring and so helpful :)
    caro´s last blog post ..There’s a new mag in town!

24. Heather commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 12:16pm

My goodness. This site is just gorgeous! I love it. Just what I needed to chase the winter greys away.
    Heather

25. Collette Osuna commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 3:51pm

I LOVE Design Seeds…..I just recently discovered the site on Pinterest…..love the palettes!!!

26. Natasha Williams commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 4:21pm

What a great resource, I love the Glow Brights palette. The handbook Color Index 2 is normally my resource for color palette inspiration.
    Natasha Williams´s last blog post ..Shop NataMari Now Open!

27. Shalini commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 5:17pm

Very inspiring idea, loved previewing the book ‘Global Color’. It inspires me to think about what scenery inspires me and how I’d like to incorporate that into my work and home.

28. viv commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 6:26pm

Great resource! I am in the process of decorating my new apartment and this was the info I needed.

29. Carmen commented
    January 13th, 2012 at 6:57pm

Fantastic !

30. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    January 14th, 2012 at 4:56am

Love this! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Insta-Friday…

31. dialoguewithspace commented
    January 14th, 2012 at 5:18am

beautiful inspiration! great job!!!

32. mariwitch commented
    January 15th, 2012 at 1:34am

These color palettes are so great that I will find excuses to use them — I am actually considering applying them to my presentation slides at work since my projects often has a theme and I am so particular about having presentation slides that delight and do not bore. Thanks for sharing! :)

33. Andy Mathis commented
    January 16th, 2012 at 8:44pm

Oh, wow. I was familiar with the site, but not aware that there was a book of Critters available. Will have to check it out, for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

34. Chrystina commented
    January 16th, 2012 at 9:32pm

I love the idea of breaking out pictures by color, it’s a great way to remember what color combinations inspire you!
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..photographs, a blast from the past

35. amy commented
    January 17th, 2012 at 6:27am

i absolutely adore this site. just so much gorgeousness and color inspiration. it’s one of those kinds of resources you can’t help but bookmark right away.
    amy´s last blog post ..Life is a Daring Adventure, or Nothing – Free Desktop Background

36. susan commented
    January 18th, 2012 at 2:33am

I’d love to use Treat Tones for an updated crochet granny square blanket!

37. Bobbijo Harrison commented
    April 27th, 2014 at 12:58pm

I love their colour schemes, but the design of their ebooks seems to be lacking something.
    Bobbijo Harrison´s last blog post ..Logo Design: Communities & Social Networks Conference 2014