10 Creative Decorating Ideas

I’m always seeking out fresh ways to be more creative at home, especially when it comes to decorating. I also love to browse for ideas that I can share on decor8 that are inspirational on some level. You never know when you may see something and have that light bulb moment, right? We all need inspiration but often I find that this inspiration gets dropped into a folder never to be found again. I decided that starting this week, I will pick one small project from my inspiration folders to actually experiment with at home – one per week. Doesn’t that sound like a good idea?

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Here are 10 creative ideas that I found to be quite out of the box. I wonder which one will resonate with you? Or perhaps several?

Idea 1: Wallpapered Door Panels from Martha Stewart, Idea 2: a Polaroid heart made using tons of Polaroids of course from the portfolio of Warren Heath and Idea 3: Stack magazines in an unused fireplace as a design element but also quite a practical storage space from French by Design. This also works because the spines are neutral and the magazines are the same width. Bear this in mind if you try this at home.

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 4: Frame fabric or wallpaper that you love (especially practical for renters!) and mount to the wall for a bit of pattern and color, this photo comes from BH&G.

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 5: Using chalk, sketch an rough outline of something that you admire (like a chandelier) on a wall painted in chalkboard paint OR on a chalkboard mounted or leaning against your wall. This clever ideas is from Velvet, a cafe in Croatia designed by owner Saša Šekoranja that Sania Pell photographed recently for her blog.

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 6: Why not wallpaper a wooden headboard from BH&G? Of if you don’t have a headboard, try tracing an outline of one on your wall with pencil and cut wallpaper to size and mount directly onto the wall.

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 7: Change up your eat-in kitchen by mixing up your chairs – things don’t always have to match! If you have wooden floors and want to change things up, stain them in a very deep chocolate brown for a more rustic “French bistro” look. It’s not nearly the huge commitment that painting floors black entails, but the darkened wood elevates the space in my opinion and looks quite stunning. This photo is from Alvhem, a real estate agency and interior design firm in Sweden.

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 8: Group lovely things together that have special meaning to you. This is from graphic designer and knitter extraordinaire Sandra Juto in Berlin, a Swedish lady whom I’m very fond of for her authenticity, wit, courage and amazing eye for style. Here she shows that you don’t even need to use frames in the correct size to make a stylish statement. Love this!

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 9: Pick a palette and layer from there, on my own dresser at home I’ve placed all of the things that I use and love and they happen to work rather nicely together!

10 Creative Decorating Ideas

Idea 10: Paint your fireplace in a bold color and group art from mantle top to ceiling and forget the glass, just find frames and paint them all in the same color, inserting art inside fixed to the wall so the focus first is the art and grouping, THEN people notice the frames. This is exactly what Regas NY did in their studio and I love it, via Brooklyn Bride.

See any ideas to try at home?

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 20, 2012

1. the chronic utilitarian commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:27pm

what a fun post, holly.

so love the magazines in the fireplace and that swedish kitchen.
    happy weekend!
    the chronic utilitarian´s last blog post ..studio revamped

2. belinda commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:34pm

lovely ideas – i love the fireplace and the chalkboard chandelier. i actually used to draw in flowers or leaves above empty vases propped in front of my chalkboard. a bit quirky but fun x
    belinda´s last blog post ..artist bianca green

3. Callie Grayson commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:44pm

#2 & 5 really inspire me….. I my just work on them this weekend. We are to get a lot of snow!
    Great post, I look forward to the inspiration
    Xx
    Callie

4. NauticalWheeler commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:45pm

I love the wallpapered doors and the chandelier chalkboard! Definitely things I would put in my home.

From Brooklyn with love,

Jen
    NauticalWheeler´s last blog post ..Egg Souffle Recipe

5. Sandra commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:51pm

I love the vignette on your dresser. Put together well but still casual and not overly “done”. I’ll be experimenting and playing around with this next week!

So many of these ideas are quick and simple fixes – great!

Have a lovely weekend.
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Sabbath or Shabbat – it’s all about friends and family

6. Reni commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 2:53pm

I like the idea of the different frames with corkboard in them, no.8. Such a great idea to switch art even more easily… plus, I like the effect of putting something in the frame that’s a bit too big… might go make me some paper dolls to frame, this weekend ;-)

7. Igor commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:13pm

Great ideas for a quiet weekend at home! I have a great wallpaper swatch which I want to frame and then I want to group some frames together for a little statement in my living room.
    Igor´s last blog post ..Happily Ever After: Stylist Myrica Bergqvist

8. Giulia commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:13pm

You are right with all the inspiration on Pinterest and such. I have created a board on Pinterest that’s called Project completed. I pin the things we did – craft, decor, food there so I can see what I actually implemented.
    Giulia´s last blog post ..Friday Food Files

9. nana commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:19pm

thanks for sharing with us, i like the idea 4 and the kitchen! nice weekend, nana

10. Sara commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:21pm

Great ideas!! Oh my goodness, I actually feel like I have somehow tapped into your design blogging genius for a a VERY brief moment ;)! Last week I “officially” launched the website and blog for my new decorating business (I actually credit you in my welcome post for all of your inspirational posts encouraging the pursuit of creative passions!)

Anyway, back to my point, I used 2 of the same pictures in one of my first blog posts (talking about wallpaper and how to incorporate it in your home in a way that fits your style). That I might choose 2 of the same pics as you…is it weird that I feel honored by this?? Here’s the post: http://inner-decor.com/2012/01/trend-watch-wallpaper/

I love the other ideas, too! Thanks, Holly!

11. Mina commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:52pm

You have some really great ideas here! I’ll be sure to add some of them to my inspiration folder. Of course, with a newborn who knows if I’ll get around to doing any of them! But, someday. : )
    Mina´s last blog post ..Random Friday – 01.20.2012

12. Jamie says dream commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Inspirational! What I think I might apply at home, in my rental, is the wallpaper in frames (nice with three frames in a row) and the way Sandra Juto puts her artwall togheter. I really like how the papergirls legs dangle outside the frame :-) i would like to do a headboard as well, but I’m not sure I really will…
    Jamie says dream´s last blog post ..Go and organize!

13. Jessica commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 4:41pm

Those wallpapered doors are awesome! What an inspiring post…happy Friday!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Inspiring Elements: Shell

14. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 5:29pm

LOVE the panels – such a fantastic idea! If we weren’t looking at selling our house soon, I would totally give them a try! :)
    Tabitha (From Single to Married)´s last blog post ..Living with IBS

15. Karena commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 5:36pm

Oh I am ready!! Thank you for so many fab ideas!! Several I am going to pass on to my daughter!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..A Special Interview with Kansas City Artist Gregory Summers

16. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 6:17pm

I really like the idea of actually doing/completing one project a week! I absolutely love all the inspiring resources, but it does get overwhelming. Where to start? That chalkboard painting could be just the thing! Cool looking, simple and not a huge commitment! Love!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Tray Chic!

17. Lisa Mende Design commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 8:29pm

What a fun post! Thought provoking!
    Lisa Mende Design´s last blog post ..OMG!!! MY HEART JUST SKIPPED A BEAT!!!

18. Charity commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 9:17pm

I always love looking at “gallery walls”. I have one but I am still messing with it. I want it to look more vintage/eclectic. These are inspiring.Thanks.

19. caitlin of wanderlustings commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 9:47pm

what a great post Holly! i absolutely love sandra juto’s wall; it is so carefully curated and full of quirk! i also love that bright and bold faux fireplace from Regas NY. my place doesn’t quite have a fireplace so i would love to do this on one of the walls!

20. colleen attara commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:02pm

I love #2 and especially #5. I use a bunch of chalk in my rented art studio. I painted a backsplash with chalk paint and chalked in subway tile. Cheapest and coolest tile job around.

What I especially love about #5 is a drawing of a light fixture with an actual lamp right in front of it. I like this sort of irony, like pictures of chairs hung over a couch.

Thank you Holly….enjoyed this.
    colleen attara´s last blog post ..Ready for the New Year…

21. Karen commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:20pm

I especially love number one and five! I have a house full of those cheap hollow doors, wall paper framed out would be a lovely idea. Love the chalkboard chandelier, genius! Thanks for sharing Holly!
    Karen´s last blog post ..Friday Link Up Party #39 and Les Preferes

22. dialoguewithspace commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:43pm

beautiful inspiration! thanks for sharing:)
    dialoguewithspace´s last blog post ..HOTEL REVIEW

23. anna maria commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:44pm

alrighty miss holly, thanks for making me suddenly not want to do all the things I need to do this weekend ;-P

Very inspiring! xo, Anna Maria

24. Vicki commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:56pm

These are great ideas, Holly! I really enjoyed reading through this. :) I’m thinking I’ll try the white frame idea above our mantel and the Polaroid heart…or maybe even a different shape. xo
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Gatherings Winter White Issue

25. Vicki commented
    January 20th, 2012 at 10:57pm

Oh, and the chalkboard with a white chalk illustration …. genius! :)
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Gatherings Winter White Issue

26. Jae commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 1:32am

I love the idea of putting wallpaper on a headboard. So creative, and can match any decor already in the room for the color scheme or design you are going for! I also love the idea of using bold color for a fireplace. I LOVE color!

27. desiree - vosgesparis commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 12:42pm

No5 looks a bit like something I did in my garden.. I had an old zinc plate (bought at some iron dump) and sketched a french vase medecin on it with chalk ;)
    desiree – vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Today at Emmas Designblogg {new kitchen pictures}

28. Robin commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 5:15pm

I LOVE these tips. Especially the chalk board & framed wallpaper. Thank you!

29. sécia commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 6:51pm

Fantastic ideas. Loving the door panels and the mix and match chairs.

sécia
    sécia´s last blog post ..where am I again?!

30. The Linen House commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 7:09pm

Great ideas. Looking forward to reading more in the coming weeks!!!!

31. Tina Ramchandani commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 8:20pm

Wallpaper panels and mixing up your chairs are great ideas! Very inspiring!

32. Joanne commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 10:59pm

Oh so many great ideas. In particular No. 7 – recently painted dull floorboards white and they came up stunning and then got carried away with our dining table and chairs and pained the table white and each of the chairs in different pastel colours and love it.

33. Brooke H commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 7:12am

Love numbers 5 and 6! Its funny that I’m just now reading this post because just this week I was thinking the same thing. I collect all these files and images on pinterest and its about time I started using them in my life. I’ve made a little promise to myself to do at least one DIY a month. (I originally was aiming for 1 per week, but in all honesty that will never happy. I’ve settled on one per month and anything above and beyond that will be a nice little bonus.)
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..Spotted: VIPs with Brooklit Cards

34. agneta commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 8:17am

Your blog is fantastic and I just want to leave a footprint behind me.

Peace & Light

Agneta, a swedish one ,)
    agneta´s last blog post ..Ruven Afanador, Torero

35. Laura Trevey commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 4:07pm

Love #4 – Framing wallpaper or Fabric! An inexpensive way to Wow a room!
    Laura Trevey´s last blog post ..Best Art, Design and Fashion Blogs

36. Chrystina Noel commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 4:15pm

These ideas are great – such little details can make such big impact!! I have light and dark wood chairs around my kitchen table right now and I absolutely love it!
    Chrystina Noel´s last blog post ..Who wants to play Valentine’s Day BINGO?

37. Fenny setiawan commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 6:37pm

I basically love all the ideas, immediate idea to proceed for me is the heart polaroid. I’ve been thinking to make my bedroom especially on the head bed site more lively than a bare wall. So I thought this idea is creative n have sentimental value as I could put photos of my dearest family :)
    Fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Little party ideas : Think garnish

38. Keely commented
    January 22nd, 2012 at 10:07pm

I love all of these, but I especially want to try the painted fireplace and kitchen ideas. I have been wanting to paint my table white for a while. I just need to find the guts to do it and see how it turns out!
    Keely´s last blog post ..Happy Thoughts

39. Nicole commented
    January 23rd, 2012 at 6:33am

Love the blog

40. Brooke {Bassett Furniture} commented
    January 24th, 2012 at 2:58pm

Love the wallpapered door panels. That’s a great idea to spice up a room. :)

41. Miss Twiss commented
    January 25th, 2012 at 3:35pm

Love the wallpapered panels and framed fabric. Definitely going to mix this up with my wrapping paper drawer liners

42. Camille commented
    March 7th, 2012 at 12:40pm

Thanks for sharing, really love #10 with the painted fireplace!