Eclectic Second Hand Charm in the Midwest

Would you like to visit an eclectic home today belong to a blogger who shops mostly second hand? Oh yes, of course! Lovely Amanda from Here’s Looking at Me, Kid and her partner Phil want to share their cozy Ohio home with you. I thought it would be fun to get her thoughts on decorating so in addition to her photos, here’s a mini interview too. I hope this gets your creative wheels spinning and pay extra special attention to the many details – very sweet!

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

What is the inspiration behind your eclectic second hand home decorating style?
Amanda: I’m really inspired by eclectic places that aren’t too carefully decorated. I like to see homes, like the loft space of Emily Chalmers (of the book, Flea Market Style), that look like the contents have been collected over a period of years and where everything is truly loved — though might not perfectly fit. We’ve only been on our own for just under five years and have been in this apartment for under two, so collecting and curating is something we’re just beginning to figure out. We are moving into our first house soon so I’m looking forward to wallpapering (yippee!) and arranging beautiful treasures that will add a nice, cozy feeling to our home. It’s also important to note that in addition to the dream homes of admirable artists and designers, I’m also heavily inspired by our tiny budget. If it’s free, made by me, or found at a thrift store, it’s much more likely to take a place in our ever-changing home.

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

How do you define your interior style?
Amanda:
My style used to be much more modern, wavering between an intense appreciation for minimal Swiss design and American mid-century modern style. Since moving into this 1920′s Tudor revival apartment, I found my tastes encompassing more of a crazy variety of styles- like a mix of kitschy vintage, traditional, and a dash of the sort of mid century style I can afford.

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

Where do you find ideas and inspiration for your home?
Amanda:
On blogs, online and in magazines. I appreciate referring to my inspiration folder, where I had adhered all of my favorite tear sheets from Domino, Metropolitan Home and Elle Decor. Since most of my inspiration is found lately in the digital world, my inspiration folder resides at Pinterest these days. It is tremendously important to save images of homes and styles I love because it can be so difficult pin-pointing my exact style. I appreciate all good design but don’t necessarily want to live with all of it in my home! Keeping inspiration folders online or otherwise makes everything much less overwhelming, helps me detect trends I enjoy, and encourages me to figure out ways to bring similar elements into my own home.

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

What do you love about your home?
Amanda:
I really adore the high ceilings, unique architectural elements, and even the squeaky old wooden floors that hint to our apartment’s mysterious history. The structure of the space really sets a nice vibe for everything we’ve put inside. We appreciate the things that fill our apartment and are quite proud that none of our home furnishings and accessories are monetarily valuable. Almost everything has been purchased second hand, and that sort of responsibility makes for guilt-free enjoyment of everything we have.

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

What makes a house a home?
Amanda:
We host lots of parties in our apartment, so it’s important for our space to seem approachable, comfortable, and intimate. I love that when new guests arrive and proclaim that “everything is just sooo you!” To me, that means our apartment hasn’t been just a living space, but a home that says something about the people who live there. I love to be here, our friends love to be here, and happiness abounds in our home. And that’s why it’s more than just a house.

Amanda in Ohio Home Tour

Lovely, right!? What caught your attention? I love that striped light green sofa shown directly above because my mother had this in our home when I was a child and it made me happy to see it again! I also love all of her rugs, they are fun!

(images: amanda johnson)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on January 23, 2012

1. Rebecca commented
    January 23rd, 2012 at 1:33pm

Im loving that awesome curvy sofa in the first pic and that work space!! very jealous…the plywood chair with the mint green leather in the last pic is pretty special too x
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..littletree loves…’Ava’ at paperchase

2. Daniel commented
    January 23rd, 2012 at 2:14pm

Hi! Wonderful images! I really love the chair on the last photo! Have a great day!

3. Lauren commented
    January 23rd, 2012 at 2:25pm

I love home tours and interviews SO much! They are among my favorite things to read, these behind-the-scenes peeks into people’s lives. This is a gorgeous apartment, and I loved hearing her style evolution. I’m totally going to start looking for that turquoise desk chair!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..monday mash up, january 23

4. Susan @ The Kitchen Designer commented
    January 23rd, 2012 at 3:18pm

Fantastic! For me, it’s the white foundation that makes the interiors fresh, with a flow from one area to another that just works. What caught my attention was the green sofa – I just don’t see many sofas with that color green, which is so dominating but looks so perfect – not too bright, not too dark, not too anything, just perfect!
    Susan @ The Kitchen Designer´s last blog post ..Kohler

5. donna commented
    January 24th, 2012 at 2:53am

Usually I don’t like couches without arms, but that green sofa looks super comfy.

6. Kristin from The Linen House commented
    January 24th, 2012 at 5:56pm

Love it! It looks like a home that any visitor would feel comfortable kicking off their shoes and settling into – which is much more important than having a pristine, catalog-worthy set up of expensive furniture and accessories. Thanks for the lovely inspiration!

7. Paula Pierce commented
    January 24th, 2012 at 7:23pm

I really like those string art pictures. It looks like they are done on velvet, and with the earth tone colors they look really warm and textural.
    Paula Pierce´s last blog post ..New House, New Garden

8. Tricia Lynn commented
    January 25th, 2012 at 5:55am

Ohio?! It looks like it belongs in hipsterville San Francisco, amazing! Love it!

9. Abigail commented
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:31am

House tours are my absolute favorite, and this house is EXACTLY what I love… so inspirational. Thanks for pointing to her blog too; it is bookmarked! :D

10. katie commented
    January 26th, 2012 at 2:31pm

I love all the great chairs!!

11. margarita commented
    January 26th, 2012 at 3:05pm

Great sense of style, she knows how to mix and match old pieces, to create a cosy and interesting space. Love the living room and desk area, the drawings plan chest, which by the way i am looking for, but they cost a fortune, so if you spot one at a reasonable price, pls let me know. Warm regards from cold and grey London…
    margarita´s last blog post ..See you at Home London

12. Os. commented
    January 26th, 2012 at 5:37pm

I LOVE this space – its pretty amazing!!! All the little pieces work. <3

13. Ada commented
    February 2nd, 2012 at 9:42pm

I imagine my own apartment to look pretty close to this. I love colour, mix of style, I just love this home!

14. Sarah-Jane Janackovic commented
    July 20th, 2012 at 12:28am

Just lover your images – woman after my own heart totally