Handmade

Mud Studio

January 31, 2012

I’m dreaming of a chandelier for my living room and Mud Studio has the one that I want though there is no way I can afford it so it will remain on my dream wish list for a very long time. I’ve become obsessed with Mud Studio, a fan for a few years now but even more now as their beaded chandelier continues to captivate me and my affection for it only grows stronger by the day… Here it is shown in the home of the founders of Mud Studio, Werner and Philippa du Toit, who live in South Africa along with other wares from Mud Studio that I’m dreaming of…

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio is on one hand, earthly and natural and on the other, very chic I think. I wouldn’t mind having some of their dinnerware, it’s right up there on my Astier de Villatte wish list!

Speaking of Africa, I’ll be in Amsterdam tomorrow (I know, sounds unrelated but I’ll get to that in a moment) for a few days with Debi Treloar as we will begin the first batch of shoots for my next interiors book to be published simultaneously by Chronicle Books (US) and Jacqui Small Publishing (UK). I’m very excited because my home will be in my next book, something I’ve been hoping for, but beyond that I can’t wait to share more of the homes I love with you and to give you more inspiration and ideas through my words and ideas. I’m excited!

But anyway, in Amsterdam, there is a shop called From Africa With Love that I heard opened not too long ago that specializes in design from Africa and I just know I’ll love it. It’s my top priority of things to do during my free time this week between shoots and I’ll even do some shopping with Stephanie Rammeloo from Dreamboat, an amazing stylist and author who had her home in my book and she is such a lovely person to spend time with. I feel so lucky that decor8 has opened so many doors for me to meet so many talented, generous people out there…

(images: mud studio)

33 Comments

• Reply lebenslustiger January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

OH yes – that beaded chandelier IS amazing! Always love the combination of ethno and plain…Wonderful company you shared and I’m so excited about your new Book projects!

• Reply Juliette January 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Another book! Will you be throwing out any more teasers as to the direction? Or will we have to wait a while longer?

We recently had a house guest who fell in love with my copy of ‘Decorate’ so much that she went and bought her own copy! =)

• Reply Tracy A. January 31, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I have a good friend who has a chandelier hanging in her teeny, tiny breakfast nook – it transforms the small space into something enchanting. She says that wherever she lives in her life, the chandelier will go with her!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy January 31, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Africa!! WOW! How cool is that! Can’t wait to see photos -do share!! And have a great trip!

• Reply Jaclyn Bishop January 31, 2012 at 5:59 pm

LaylaGrace.com.

It’s no South African beauty, but it could satisfy the dream! Love MudStudio.

• Reply Nicole Riseley Ketchum January 31, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I am designing a line of acrylic chandeliers that are 2D and put together as 3D. I will be launching 3 to start. I’ll make sure to send you the info when its ready. I think you will love the whimsy and elegance of them. Love the chandeliers you did post. Beautiful!

• Reply Karena January 31, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I love, love that chandelier. Keep looking for a very similar version at a better price ( well one can try)!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

• Reply Emma January 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm

That is an amazing chandelier! Worthy of an investment I think… :-)

• Reply Sara January 31, 2012 at 6:34 pm

It’s all gorgeous…but that side table stole my heart :). Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 31, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Oh, me too! Makes me so very very happy!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Zane January 31, 2012 at 8:24 pm

love everything, all the pieces are so beautiful

• Reply Jeanette January 31, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Love these photos and chandelier! I just spotted that House Doctor has one similar for fall season.
    Have a happy time in Amsterdam and give my best to Debi. She is such a wonderful photographer and lovely person. I´m looking forward to your new book. Wish you the best!

• Reply Pretty Dandy Homewares February 1, 2012 at 12:54 am

It’s lovely to see something so fresh and stylish, the African influence is really interesting and feels different to a lot of other homewares around at the moment. Thanks for this breath of beautiful fresh air!

Becky
    x

• Reply Lauren February 1, 2012 at 2:34 am

We have a chandelier in our foyer that’s original to the house (1936). It hasn’t worked in ages, but I love it. Far fussier (and not all that fussy, really) than my normal fare, with crystal droplets hanging down. We took it down this weekend to diagnose and hopefully repair the problem. As we cleaned each droplet, I found myself thinking, “If we can’t fix it, I’m going to look for something even fancier!”

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio February 1, 2012 at 5:27 am

Isn’t it interesting how a change of materials can turn something old and done into something completely unique and much more interesting. Chandeliers are out of my budget at the moment, but I’m completely inspired by these beautiful ones. Lovely!

• Reply FrauSchmitt February 1, 2012 at 5:01 pm

OMG, I love this chandellier. And I’m so happy to ear that you are planning to have a new book. Actually I was already wondering why you haven’t posted pictures from your new home in such a long time ;)
    I’m already excited to buy your new book, when is it due to be published?

• Reply MISSILI February 1, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I have been wanting to get a chandelier, but i never thought chandelier can be made so casual. I always thought of chandelier as a fancy accent for a fancy room. This is amazing! I love it!

• Reply becky February 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I love that chandy! I remember finding Mud at some off-site show during ICFF the very first time I went and falling in love. It’s been so much fun to see how they’ve evolved over the years.

Side Note: You are the second source in two days that has me dying to go to Amsterdam; the first one was my Anthology mag that arrived yesterday. Have a great trip.

• Reply Suzanne Vachon February 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I love the Mud Studio bedroom so shabby chic with a bit of Out of Africa look. Thanks for great posts and super infos, I really enjoy your discoveries. Have a super time in Amsterdam..hope you will share it with us..

• Reply Deepa February 1, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Gorgeous chandeliers. Have a great time in Amsterdam! Looking forward to seeing what fab finds you’ll turn up this time :)

• Reply Cathy February 2, 2012 at 6:26 am

It’s so great to see South Africa on Decor8!! We may be far south, but the talent down here is amazing Holly. Put the “Design Indaba” on your ‘must visit’ list for the future. I love the first image – the walls,floor and ceiling are exactly what I’m planning for our beach house (currently building) – such a simple, clean canvas to decorate. I love this post!! Cathy

• Reply Casa e Cose February 2, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Well i can see why you cant afford it but its heavenly! And wow i didnt know about them but all there things are gorgious, as your blog. Allways tons of info – love it!

• Reply lisa February 2, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I made a seashell chandy out of those strings of tiny shells that everybody brings back from Florida. The junk stores here in BC Canada always have loads of them. It’s not quite as fancy as those… but I’m inspired now. I think if a person found the right frame, they could do anything…..

• Reply Ada February 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

MudStudio should just send you a chandelier, because you’re bringing them business with you love affair with their quality products which someone is going to buy now. AND maybe send one more to me too?

• Reply laura February 3, 2012 at 3:06 am

i have to say, i’ve been following you on twitter for awhile and i am so envious of your life! i would love to be able to travel to these amazing places and shoot photos of beautiful things. so impressed by what you do!

• Reply Elizabeth @PrinceDesignUK February 3, 2012 at 3:39 am

These all look so tactile – I almost want to hug the planters! Gorgeous. Looking forward to the book!

• Reply Jane February 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Oh Holly, I hope you manage to hook up with my gorgeous friend, Iris, of Irideeen – the Hague isn’t far away and her apartment is to die for! J x

• Reply Jessica February 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

So excited to see your home in your next book!

• Reply Wrenaissance Art February 3, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Enjoyed both your posts about South African design. That white creamware pitcher is very ’50s.
    Emerging economies really have a lot of design energy right now–I certainly found that Brazil had a lot of exciting artists and artisans while I lived there.
    Good luck with the book production!

• Reply maria February 3, 2012 at 10:08 pm

OMG I’ve been searching for a chandelier for the living room for ages and the ones you’ve posted are exactly what I want!! Great inspiration – thanks!!

• Reply dialogue with space February 6, 2012 at 1:41 am

beautiful chandelier match perfectly with the atmosphere of the room
    looking for one in my living room …other challenge :)

• Reply Lelanie Slater February 6, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hi Holly,

these are indeed beautiful. A pity they are so unaffordable. I thought I should tell you about the company called Hellooow handmade. They are South African and make very similar chandeliers. Each bead is handmade by a team of disabled ladies from recycled paper clay.

I have seen them around and simply love the work they do.
    And I think they might be a bit more budget friendly.

• Reply Clair McLaughlin February 14, 2012 at 12:00 am

Hi Holly, So happy to see so many South Africans on your site! Another great ceramicist is Liesl Trautman. http://www.lieseltrautman.co.za/
    And as mentioned before: http://www.designindaba.com/
    And did you know that Cape Town has been named Design Capital for 2014! Very exciting. I do miss it so much, having moved to London recently!