Mud Studio

I’m dreaming of a chandelier for my living room and Mud Studio has the one that I want though there is no way I can afford it so it will remain on my dream wish list for a very long time. I’ve become obsessed with Mud Studio, a fan for a few years now but even more now as their beaded chandelier continues to captivate me and my affection for it only grows stronger by the day… Here it is shown in the home of the founders of Mud Studio, Werner and Philippa du Toit, who live in South Africa along with other wares from Mud Studio that I’m dreaming of…

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio

Mud Studio is on one hand, earthly and natural and on the other, very chic I think. I wouldn’t mind having some of their dinnerware, it’s right up there on my Astier de Villatte wish list!

Speaking of Africa, I’ll be in Amsterdam tomorrow (I know, sounds unrelated but I’ll get to that in a moment) for a few days with Debi Treloar as we will begin the first batch of shoots for my next interiors book to be published simultaneously by Chronicle Books (US) and Jacqui Small Publishing (UK). I’m very excited because my home will be in my next book, something I’ve been hoping for, but beyond that I can’t wait to share more of the homes I love with you and to give you more inspiration and ideas through my words and ideas. I’m excited!

But anyway, in Amsterdam, there is a shop called From Africa With Love that I heard opened not too long ago that specializes in design from Africa and I just know I’ll love it. It’s my top priority of things to do during my free time this week between shoots and I’ll even do some shopping with Stephanie Rammeloo from Dreamboat, an amazing stylist and author who had her home in my book and she is such a lovely person to spend time with. I feel so lucky that decor8 has opened so many doors for me to meet so many talented, generous people out there…

(images: mud studio)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on January 31, 2012

1. lebenslustiger commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 3:35pm

OH yes – that beaded chandelier IS amazing! Always love the combination of ethno and plain…Wonderful company you shared and I’m so excited about your new Book projects!

2. Juliette commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 3:38pm

Another book! Will you be throwing out any more teasers as to the direction? Or will we have to wait a while longer?

We recently had a house guest who fell in love with my copy of ‘Decorate’ so much that she went and bought her own copy! =)
    Juliette´s last blog post ..A Peppy Monday Song

3. Tracy A. commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 4:43pm

I have a good friend who has a chandelier hanging in her teeny, tiny breakfast nook – it transforms the small space into something enchanting. She says that wherever she lives in her life, the chandelier will go with her!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..Some Saturday Shore Shots!

4. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 5:16pm

Africa!! WOW! How cool is that! Can’t wait to see photos -do share!! And have a great trip!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Grime Fighters: Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

5. Jaclyn Bishop commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 5:59pm

LaylaGrace.com.

It’s no South African beauty, but it could satisfy the dream! Love MudStudio.
    Jaclyn Bishop´s last blog post ..one. mom’s feelings.

6. Nicole Riseley Ketchum commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 6:00pm

I am designing a line of acrylic chandeliers that are 2D and put together as 3D. I will be launching 3 to start. I’ll make sure to send you the info when its ready. I think you will love the whimsy and elegance of them. Love the chandeliers you did post. Beautiful!

7. Karena commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 6:04pm

I love, love that chandelier. Keep looking for a very similar version at a better price ( well one can try)!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Love Feast 2012 and Giveaway

8. Emma commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 6:06pm

That is an amazing chandelier! Worthy of an investment I think… :-)

9. Sara commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 6:34pm

It’s all gorgeous…but that side table stole my heart :). Thanks for sharing.
    Sara´s last blog post ..Style in unexpected places

10. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 7:43pm

Oh, me too! Makes me so very very happy!
    xo
    Melis

11. Zane commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 8:24pm

love everything, all the pieces are so beautiful
    Zane´s last blog post ..Don’t think, just let it out

12. Jeanette commented
    January 31st, 2012 at 10:51pm

Love these photos and chandelier! I just spotted that House Doctor has one similar for fall season.
    Have a happy time in Amsterdam and give my best to Debi. She is such a wonderful photographer and lovely person. I´m looking forward to your new book. Wish you the best!
    Jeanette´s last blog post ..// ON THE ROAD //

13. Pretty Dandy Homewares commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 12:54am

It’s lovely to see something so fresh and stylish, the African influence is really interesting and feels different to a lot of other homewares around at the moment. Thanks for this breath of beautiful fresh air!

Becky
    x

14. Lauren commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 2:34am

We have a chandelier in our foyer that’s original to the house (1936). It hasn’t worked in ages, but I love it. Far fussier (and not all that fussy, really) than my normal fare, with crystal droplets hanging down. We took it down this weekend to diagnose and hopefully repair the problem. As we cleaned each droplet, I found myself thinking, “If we can’t fix it, I’m going to look for something even fancier!”
    Lauren´s last blog post ..tea and toast {life}

15. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 5:27am

Isn’t it interesting how a change of materials can turn something old and done into something completely unique and much more interesting. Chandeliers are out of my budget at the moment, but I’m completely inspired by these beautiful ones. Lovely!
    Penelope@thirdroomstudio´s last blog post ..still life

16. FrauSchmitt commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 5:01pm

OMG, I love this chandellier. And I’m so happy to ear that you are planning to have a new book. Actually I was already wondering why you haven’t posted pictures from your new home in such a long time ;)
    I’m already excited to buy your new book, when is it due to be published?

17. MISSILI commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 5:50pm

I have been wanting to get a chandelier, but i never thought chandelier can be made so casual. I always thought of chandelier as a fancy accent for a fancy room. This is amazing! I love it!
    MISSILI´s last blog post ..Stronger, Longer Nails!

18. becky commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 8:10pm

I love that chandy! I remember finding Mud at some off-site show during ICFF the very first time I went and falling in love. It’s been so much fun to see how they’ve evolved over the years.

Side Note: You are the second source in two days that has me dying to go to Amsterdam; the first one was my Anthology mag that arrived yesterday. Have a great trip.

19. Suzanne Vachon commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 8:17pm

I love the Mud Studio bedroom so shabby chic with a bit of Out of Africa look. Thanks for great posts and super infos, I really enjoy your discoveries. Have a super time in Amsterdam..hope you will share it with us..
    Suzanne Vachon´s last blog post ..THE MOST INGENIOUS SMALL HOME

20. Deepa commented
    February 1st, 2012 at 10:58pm

Gorgeous chandeliers. Have a great time in Amsterdam! Looking forward to seeing what fab finds you’ll turn up this time :)
    Deepa´s last blog post ..MangoJuiced: A review of "Decorate"

21. Cathy commented
    February 2nd, 2012 at 6:26am

It’s so great to see South Africa on Decor8!! We may be far south, but the talent down here is amazing Holly. Put the “Design Indaba” on your ‘must visit’ list for the future. I love the first image – the walls,floor and ceiling are exactly what I’m planning for our beach house (currently building) – such a simple, clean canvas to decorate. I love this post!! Cathy
    Cathy´s last blog post ..Colour Pop – Grey and Yellow Inspiration

22. Casa e Cose commented
    February 2nd, 2012 at 2:52pm

Well i can see why you cant afford it but its heavenly! And wow i didnt know about them but all there things are gorgious, as your blog. Allways tons of info – love it!

23. lisa commented
    February 2nd, 2012 at 5:35pm

I made a seashell chandy out of those strings of tiny shells that everybody brings back from Florida. The junk stores here in BC Canada always have loads of them. It’s not quite as fancy as those… but I’m inspired now. I think if a person found the right frame, they could do anything…..

24. Ada commented
    February 2nd, 2012 at 8:52pm

MudStudio should just send you a chandelier, because you’re bringing them business with you love affair with their quality products which someone is going to buy now. AND maybe send one more to me too?

25. laura commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 3:06am

i have to say, i’ve been following you on twitter for awhile and i am so envious of your life! i would love to be able to travel to these amazing places and shoot photos of beautiful things. so impressed by what you do!

26. Elizabeth @PrinceDesignUK commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 3:39am

These all look so tactile – I almost want to hug the planters! Gorgeous. Looking forward to the book!

27. Jane commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 12:43pm

Oh Holly, I hope you manage to hook up with my gorgeous friend, Iris, of Irideeen – the Hague isn’t far away and her apartment is to die for! J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Painting for pleasure: my distraction therapy

28. Jessica commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 2:19pm

So excited to see your home in your next book!
    Jessica´s last blog post ..Decor from the Shore: Wave

29. Wrenaissance Art commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 6:08pm

Enjoyed both your posts about South African design. That white creamware pitcher is very ’50s.
    Emerging economies really have a lot of design energy right now–I certainly found that Brazil had a lot of exciting artists and artisans while I lived there.
    Good luck with the book production!
    Wrenaissance Art´s last blog post ..Current projects: Still life with squashes, Day 2

30. maria commented
    February 3rd, 2012 at 10:08pm

OMG I’ve been searching for a chandelier for the living room for ages and the ones you’ve posted are exactly what I want!! Great inspiration – thanks!!
    maria´s last blog post ..Inspiration: vilda vardagsrum

31. dialogue with space commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 1:41am

beautiful chandelier match perfectly with the atmosphere of the room
    looking for one in my living room …other challenge :)
    dialogue with space´s last blog post ..MISE EN SCENE

32. Lelanie Slater commented
    February 6th, 2012 at 5:00pm

Hi Holly,

these are indeed beautiful. A pity they are so unaffordable. I thought I should tell you about the company called Hellooow handmade. They are South African and make very similar chandeliers. Each bead is handmade by a team of disabled ladies from recycled paper clay.

I have seen them around and simply love the work they do.
    And I think they might be a bit more budget friendly.

33. Clair McLaughlin commented
    February 14th, 2012 at 12:00am

Hi Holly, So happy to see so many South Africans on your site! Another great ceramicist is Liesl Trautman. http://www.lieseltrautman.co.za/
    And as mentioned before: http://www.designindaba.com/
    And did you know that Cape Town has been named Design Capital for 2014! Very exciting. I do miss it so much, having moved to London recently!