Shop Tours

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

January 31, 2012

I’ve known and featured Heather Moore from African interiors brand Skinny laMinx for years now and have enjoyed watching her grow her business into a now successful and known brand in South Africa and beyond. With a brand new Skinny laMinx store and studio in Cape Town that just opened last month, Heather takes her business seriously and loves her creative company.

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

A self-taught designer with a background in education and illustration, she sells screen-printed fabrics and homegoods that are available in her Etsy shop and at Heath Ceramics in California along with many other locations worldwide.

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

When I asked Heather about her new store and why she opened it she revealed, “For some time, I’d been looking looking for a special space that could house both shop and studio, where I could meet my customers, give them a peek into what goes on behind the scenes at Skinny laMinx, and also use the shop as a lab for testing new products and designer collaborations.I spotted a freshly placed To Let sign on my way to my favourite morning coffee spot on Cape Town’s Bree Street one morning, and within just over a month, with the help of my friend and architect, Jo Anderson, we managed to transform a greasy scooter garage into a chic and clean-lined store filled with eye-candy for fabric lovers.”

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

In the photo above you can see a series of solid brass pegs and steel shelves entitled “The Skinny” by Cape Town design duo Pedersen + Lennard .This installation is a showcase of a brand new product developed especially for her shop.

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

<Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

Skinny laMinx Studio Tour in Cape Town, South Africa

In her shop she carries the complete line of Skinny laMinx tea towels, cushions, table runners, tablecloths, table napkins and stationery as well as retail fabric sales from the studio. You can also order custom 50s-style sofas in Skinny laMinx fabrics along with vintage Danish furniture and accessories.

Beautiful new space Heather, congratulations!

(images: heather moore)

27 Comments

• Reply Sandra January 31, 2012 at 1:58 pm

What a lovely shop! And beautiful fabrics. I was lucky enough to live in Cape Town for two years. It was incredible – inspiring, challenging, and gorgeous. If you have the chance you must go!

Very entrepreneurial too. And creative.

They say that once you breathe in the dust of Africa, it never leaves you. Too true!

• Reply Dee January 31, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I love Heathers work and have also watched her business grow over the last few years. I’m sure her new shop will bloom, I only wish it was close enough to visit.

• Reply Rebecca January 31, 2012 at 2:20 pm

The shop is looking fab and heathers worked so hard for it so I hope it is a hit! I’m sire it will be! I am totally in love with the sofa in the yellow stem print!x

• Reply colleen @ hello olive January 31, 2012 at 2:47 pm

So great to see a lovely store being featured that I’ve been to. Usually I’m just drooling over places that I’ll probably never get to see in the flesh :-)

• Reply Victoria January 31, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Beautiful! I am enchanted! This is a great story of someone making her dreams come true! This is what I like best about people!
    PS: Just got your book, Holly! Fantastic! Thanks for making your dreams come true as well, for all of us!

• Reply Faith @ Ordinary Mommy Design January 31, 2012 at 3:38 pm

What a dream come true! Heather’s brand is so lovely; how wonderful for her local customers to be able to stop by her shop. It’s gorgeous!

• Reply michelle January 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Her front door is adorable. If I was walking past that shop there is no way I could resist going inside. Good luck to you Heather, you do beautiful work!

• Reply Kompromisslos toll. January 31, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Wow, what a stylish shop! So warm and welcoming. And the fabrics are stunning…

• Reply Kathi January 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm

love it all ! it is great to see someone who is so talented and works so hard do so well- the very best to you

• Reply Jaclyn Bishop January 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm

So beautiful. I need her to be my local!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy January 31, 2012 at 6:01 pm

What a great story! I wish her all success & happiness in her new adventure! Way to go!

• Reply Helen January 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm

What a gorgeous store, I wish I could pop by, lucky locals!

• Reply Jessica January 31, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Beautiful textiles! I love the floating shelves against the grey walls…a perfect way to display!

• Reply Jillian January 31, 2012 at 6:22 pm

The shop is gorgeous. I love that she offers the 50s sofas in her fabrics. What an awesome idea!

• Reply Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods January 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Gorgeous! I love these designs!

• Reply sue bulmer January 31, 2012 at 9:26 pm

oh, now this is how all shops should look, utterly divine. I too have been follwoing Heathers rise to stardom and I’m in awe of what she has achieved. Hope to get somewhere even near that one day myself but I have an awfully long way to go!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente February 1, 2012 at 12:43 am

Love Heather’s work & adore her beautiful new space/studio. Just so happy-inducing. Especially love that front window! Beautiful…..
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Silvia February 1, 2012 at 2:32 am

I loved your posts today … I am going home to South Africa in March for a wedding and will be in Cape Town for the first time in years … your posts were very relevant and inspiring today, as always. Thanks !

• Reply Heather Moore February 1, 2012 at 7:29 am

Oh wow, thanks so much for this lovely post, and for all the wonderful comments too! This shop may be a dream come true, but if it wasn’t for all the support from bloggers like Holly and the encouragement from all the amazing people out there, I wouldn’t even have dared to BEGIN to dream. You guys rock! xx

• Reply Lauren Kellim February 1, 2012 at 7:53 am

I love her textiles!! And, what a gorgeous shop! Very inspiring!

• Reply Rose February 1, 2012 at 11:09 am

Heather is one of those local creatives that make me so proud to be South African. I too stand in awe of her creative flair and dare. We are indeed very lucky to have such a shop locally. I wish her further success in her business. She’s an inspiration.

• Reply arounna February 1, 2012 at 8:40 pm

what a beautiful post !
    heather’s work is stunning and what a beautiful space to showcase her lovely designs.

congrats heather!

• Reply Sara February 2, 2012 at 2:23 pm

All of her textiles are so gorgeous! I adore that yellow couch, oh my!!!

• Reply Inge February 2, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I am also from Cape Town!
    The city is an artists’ hub filled with all kinds of creative sorts. I have recently been introduced to another lovely Cape Town gem – Vamp Furniture in Woodstock.

• Reply Keren February 2, 2012 at 10:46 pm

The solid brass pegs on the wall remind me of a plinko board! What a beautiful yet simple concept.

• Reply dialogue with space February 6, 2012 at 1:42 am

love the textiles
    really interesting post
    thanksss

• Reply Lelanie Slater February 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love my fellow South African Heather’s work at Skinny la Minx. I really enjoy her concept. I am so proud of her for doing so well and being such a passionate designer. She is a great inspiration. :)

Thanks for sharing Holly. I haven’t seen her new studio as I live in Johannesburg, which is about 1400km’s from Cape Town where she’s based. It is a fab space.