Trends

Ombre Trend

February 24, 2012

Ombre, a French word that literally means gradation, is a trend that I’m seeing in fashion and in the home for Spring & Summer that carried over into 2012. Have you noticed? In Paris, I spotted the French playing with various shades and felt inspired by how colors were used, on what, and which colors were selected in the first place. I noticed mostly watercolor citrus hues and ocean tones in fashion, flooring and even wallpaper and tiles. Here are a few inspirational photos that spotlight this trend – pretty, right?!

Ombre Trend

Beautiful ombre in pinks from fellow fellow.

Ombre Trend

Ombre Trend

Ombre Trend

Shown above: Windsor Love Seat, curtains, ceramics, pillows, glass pendant light, illustration. Not shown: scarf DIY and lots of pretty dresses.

Do you like the ombre trend? Do you own anything for home or in your closet like this? I like it, but more on pillows and rugs and for ceramics and glassware then anywhere else. Do you have a preference too?

(images linked above.)

You Might Also Like

55 Comments

• Reply anh February 24, 2012 at 4:50 pm

love the ombre trend!!!! def with the purple and blue hues.

• Reply Giulia February 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I like the ombre trend as an opposite to colour blocking. I find it soothing and pleasant. It’s been holding on for quite some time – I remember seeing a feature in Martha Stewart Living early 2011 or even 2010.
    My favourite are linens and cushions and I own a pretty blue ombre skirt made of linen and perfect on a hot summer day.

• Reply Starlet February 24, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I enjoy looking at ombre products. But I don’t own one (yet). I’d LOVE to be able to grow peonies like aboveeee. So dreamy!!!

• Reply Alex February 24, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Hi… just to be specific in terms of traduction: “ombre” means shadow, and gradation is “dégradé” in french. sorry about my english ;)

• Reply tinajo February 24, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I do really love these colors, so pleasing to the eye! :-)

• Reply Mary February 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have several large ombre scarves/shawls but since they were purchased more than a decade ago, I guess you could say I was trendy before my time (not).

• Reply Debbie G February 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Beautiful pictures. I love the transition in the shades.

• Reply Syl February 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Very very pretty, Thanks for sharing Holly:-)))
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Syl

• Reply Beth February 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

I love Ombre- I have a whole pinterest board of Ombre: http://pinterest.com/bethy_rodgers/ombre-hombre/ – check it out!

I don’t think of it as a trend, though it has been very popular on the runways and in home decor lately :)

• Reply Summer // House&Hold February 24, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Lovely post! I have been thinking about the same thing this week & have started to make an OMBRE pinboard on Pinterest!

But am loving what you found — esp. the lampshade! <3

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai February 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Love ombre! It’s so natural and calming. This is a beautiful round up- those curtains add a ton of color to a room, but in a soothing way. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Seventeendoors February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I like a lot!!
    Have a nice weekend!
    Ulrika

• Reply Emily @ Peck Life February 24, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’m loving the ombre trend! I don’t have too much of it in clothing either but I love it in homewares and ESPECIALLY paper products. I dip dyed my son’s birthday invitations to add this effect and they were great! I’ve also seen some great wedding invitations in this style. :)

• Reply Emily February 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I’ve been watching the ombre thing—I love dyeing things and have been at it again lately. I like it best when it’s very subtle, like that dress with the pink at the bottom. It’s just a hint that the object was hand-dyed/ hand-colored, that extra second look that it asks for. Also reminds me of the trend I think you covered awhile back of things dip-dyed or dipped in paint. Burda Style had a fun spread on that idea sometime last year. More projects to dream about….

• Reply Sandra Nachtsheim February 24, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I love the Ombre Trend! I am really happy about this trend, especially with the apricot colors… Can’t wait for summer in Germany!!

• Reply Maggie February 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I love these! I am loving the tye-dyed fabric. I am wanting to do a white linen with a color on the bottom for my living room. Great ideas! I hope its okay but I’m adding you to my blog roll. I just love coming here!

xoxo,
    maggie

• Reply Claire T February 24, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I love that cake idea! May try it out as I got two 60th Birthdays this year and need a excuse to bake cakes you know as a practice! LOL

• Reply Ingrid Jansen February 24, 2012 at 10:11 pm

hej Holly, Ombre is cool right!
    For furnature, fashion and even hair. (just not too ombre hairdo, my hair needs some sun bleeching ;)
    Happy weekend and Paris is great, toujours

• Reply Lisa February 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I like the softness of the ombre trend especially when used with citrus hues and white. It is a more subtle way to use color and I find that refreshing when brights like Tangerine Tango are central to the year’s palette. The watercolor-inspired look of ombre adds a delicate touch.

• Reply Glenda Childers February 25, 2012 at 12:02 am

Ok, that cake is beautiful, and I don’t even like cake. (I will take the ice cream, though.)

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Tracy A. February 25, 2012 at 2:04 am

Love this! I recently snapped some photos of Spanish Moss hanging from trees – there is such a lovely gradation of hues – very soft and buttery. Lovely trend.

• Reply carrie February 25, 2012 at 2:17 am

GORGEOUS!!!! I never knew that is what “Ombre” was… duh. I was calling it “gradient”. I’m going to feel more in the know than EVER now because I finally know the real term for this ;) Thanks so much for sharing… every single picture is so so beautiful.

• Reply kristin February 25, 2012 at 5:04 am

i love ombre! i had been wanting to try dying something like that forever, and i finally did it recently on a maxidress for my preschool-aged daughter. it turned out so well i want to make myself an ombre summer skirt, too! here’s my post:

• Reply Gosia February 25, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I like ombre hair- I know Drew Barrymore is a big fan of it. I’ve had- quite fasionable now- ombre lilac flats for 8 years !

• Reply Nancy February 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I love the look of ombre especially when I dye with all natural plant extracts.

• Reply Ivy February 25, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Last year I bought the most beautiful dip dyed dress from Anthropologie. It is much like the gradient theme in this post, the hem is deep navy fading to ivory with a bit of navy design. I can’t wait for nice weather again so I can twirl in it!
    Lovely gathering of inspiration Holly.
    Cheers~Ivy

• Reply Holly Marder February 25, 2012 at 7:36 pm

So, so pretty! I adore that dress, but I mostly love ombre used in peach and turquoise tones for crockery. Thanks for sharing, Holly.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang February 26, 2012 at 3:30 am

Holly, I am so glad you wrote this post! I have been wondering what exactly Ombre meant for a while now!

• Reply Viv February 26, 2012 at 5:28 am

Much love for ombre. Hope you have been well, lovely Holly. I dyed the ends of my hair a few months ago and when the colour fades it fades to a lovely ombre – brown -> pale pink -> blonde.

Lots of fun!

• Reply MissRouge February 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

Wunderschöne Bilder und eine menge Inspiration!
    TOLL!
    MissRouge

• Reply Jutta February 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

I have to try to make a cake like this! Looks great!

• Reply Brooke H February 26, 2012 at 11:48 am

Ahh the pillows of ABC, be still my heart. . .I’m a huge fan of ombre in fashion and home.

• Reply SALLI @ TIIPII February 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

I’m a big fan of the ombre trend. Those pink colours at the top are stunning.

• Reply Decorator's Notebook February 27, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’m really loving this trend… whatever the colour it has a softening, feminine effect I love. Though saying that, the peachy pinks are my favourite.

• Reply Cyn February 27, 2012 at 3:07 pm

It’s true as Alex says, ombre means shadow in french. But maybe in design terms, it is different! I like those cakes, they are so beautiful. I wish I could make food so beautiful as that ^.^,

• Reply Hilary February 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm

That pink scarf is just amazing!…and I’ve thought about doing a DIY of the bench from Anthropologie, that way it could be any color I want.

• Reply Sari / A Little Hummingbird February 27, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Lovely post! The dress in the second photo is gorgeous!
    Thanks for sharing :)

xx Sari

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy February 28, 2012 at 12:22 am

Gorgeous photos! The colors are just amazing and I really love the way you have softly interpreted the ombre trend! Just beautiful!

• Reply Alex Royal February 28, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love your blog! It inspires me daily!! I hope you don’t mind me pinning some of your pics on pinterest?

• Reply viv February 29, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Love this trend, the curtains from anthropology are just adorable!

• Reply Sara February 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I really like the ombre trend and its more subtle way of adding color. All of your picks are so pretty!

• Reply Carmen March 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Excellents Ideas, and the most important, simple !

• Reply Kelly March 1, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I love the Ombre trend-especially in hair! It’s so subtle and unexpected. I’m even considering it myself…I love the curtains you featured – great find!!

• Reply Sitt March 2, 2012 at 7:00 am

I must admit, I’m bored with ombre trending.

• Reply Rosa March 4, 2012 at 1:36 am

I don’t but I now may have to!

• Reply Becky! March 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Got my hair ombred and I love it. It seems like it’s popping up everywhere now. I want to ombre my curtains now!

• Reply Marta March 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Lately I thought of ombre-painted walls, the desired effect must be difficult to obtain though.

• Reply Damien March 7, 2012 at 11:51 am

I love the colors. Your post gave me some decorating ideas. I am planning to redecorate my room. These are very creative designs.

• Reply esther March 8, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I just did an ombre roundup too. Wish I had seen your posting so that I could use some of it as inspiration/reference!

• Reply Erika March 14, 2012 at 11:58 am

I agree, this trend is really pretty and the colours are calming and fresh. It is very summery too!

• Reply Lisa March 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

where is the dress in the top right pic from?

• Reply minouette March 14, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I really like the ombre trend, particularly in textiles… though the work is weird. In French, ‘ombre’ means shadow, not gradation. Also, it doesn’t have an accent on the end, like we pronounce it in English. It’s one of those funny borrowed terms which does not really mean the same thing in the new language.

• Reply minouette March 14, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I really like the ombre trend, particularly in textiles… though the word is weird. In French, ‘ombre’ means shadow, not gradation. Also, it doesn’t have an accent on the end, like we pronounce it in English. It’s one of those funny borrowed terms which does not really mean the same thing in the new language.

• Reply oli March 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm

hi there, just wondering if you could tell me where you found the first dress on the right hand side there.. i would really to purchase it for my wedding dress, i’ve seen it on a few blogs and haven’t been able to trace the maker, any information would be helpful! beautiful collection- thanks for sharing!

olive

• Reply Comp March 28, 2012 at 1:53 pm

i love the shaded bench!
    Just wonderful