Color Me Pretty: Ocean Hues

Hello friends, it is Leslie here for May’s edition of Color Me Pretty. As you can see this series is about the many shades of ocean blue, like fresh aqua, ultramarine, indigo and pale blue. With summer around the corner it is hard not to think about this classic blue and bright white combination.

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

I have been spending a lot of time in my studio lately working on some projects with watercolors and acrylics. If you don’t already, I highly recommend playing with paints to explore color combinations. It is nice because you can also experiment with a color’s intensity by adding a little water to lighten, or a little more paint to get a darker shade. You can explore a color palette on a small sheet of paper before you use it in a larger scale design project.

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

A couple weeks ago I spent the day on a little beach near my home with my family and we had fun finding loads of sea glass that was washed up among the rocks. I decided to sort our colorful treasures into piles. It is always an interesting design challenge to think about good ways to display collections. I can imagine this sea glass glued to these pieces of paper and then put into a deeper frame or shadow box. It may also be nice to find some pretty clear bottles to put the glass in to then admire on a little shelf. I think my daughter would like that as she enjoys holding and looking at her “treasures from the sea”. I love the aqua and pale teal shades, and could see them looking pretty in the water of a floral arrangement or in a dish in my bathroom.

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

Color Me Pretty:  Ocean Blues

With all the watercolors on my desk I couldn’t help but dip the edges of some doilies in the colored water! I have seen some crocheted doilies dip dyed and wanted to experiment with the paper ones for gift-wrapping. This was so quick and you just need a big sheet of paper to dry them on. The drying paper looked beautiful too with the doily patterns left on it in blue paint. The dip dyed little doilies would look sweet wrapped around a jelly jar full of flowers. You could also dye the paper with food coloring for a food safe option. I think I may try dipping them in hot pink next!

I hope you have enjoyed this color story and maybe you have a few ideas to try out. Take care, enjoy May and thank you! – Leslie.

(photography: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Me Pretty on May 04, 2012

1. shanon commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:12pm

Yay for the dreaminess and the talent that is Leslie and Color Me Pretty! =)
    shanon´s last blog post ..Our Year of Photos: week 17

2. sarah hardaker commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:13pm

supremely GORGEOUS,
    i have a huge collection of sea glass from our trips to cornwall, i love it thanks for the inspiration

3. Tina Ramchandani commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:15pm

I saw a few of your blue water color images on instagram but didn’t guess this month’s post was going to be about these blues! They are so, so pretty! I would probably put the glass in jars too :)

4. Alexis commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:30pm

Oh this is beautiful, I want to get out my own watercolors now :).
    Alexis´s last blog post ..More Entryway Projects

5. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:32pm

Very pretty! Love watercolors and shades of blue
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Happy Weekend

6. Michele commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:34pm

Delighted to see a new color story! Lovely, as always. Inspirational, as always. It gave me a cool and refreshing feeling, just looking at the beautiful colors.

7. Lindsay commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:35pm

omg this whole post is giving me a colorgasm! beachy blues are some of my favorites! oh, who am i kidding, all color combos are my favorite! howeverrrrr… all the patterns, tones, photos, swatches are all so gorgeous and tranquil. it makes me want to dedicate an entire room in my house to these “pretty ocean hues!”

thanks for sharing!

Lindsay´s last blog post ..I Blessed the Rains…

8. Susan Graham commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:55pm

I could DIE! These are my favorite colors and every little thing Leslie has done here is gorgeous. So inspiring!

9. olive green anna commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:57pm

This post really inspires me to get painting again!

Thank you for sharing.

Anna

10. Tracey Fisher commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 8:59pm

So beautiful as always Leslie! I love blue, and sea glass, or as we call it “mermaids tears”, is a favourite around our house. We’ve put some of it in a clear glass and then a votive with candle in that. It makes the coloured glass come to life. I love your watercolours – I have been playing around with that as well this spring. Not as pretty as yours but thank you for the inspiration. Have a great spring!
    Tracey Fisher´s last blog post ..Wrap it up Thursday – Neon Packages

11. Heather B commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:10pm

Oh Leslie, You are so uber talented! I would give an appendage to spend an afternoon in your studio, even though I know I’d have serious craft-supply/ photo prop envy.
    Heather B´s last blog post ..The Humble Object – Dustpans

12. Kim Fisher commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:11pm

So clever- lovely post.

13. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:20pm

Gorgeous collection as usual, Leslie! I love the range of blues, and I especially LOVE the sea glass! Watercolors were always my least favorite medium because I couldn’t cover my mistakes, but maybe I should pick them up again as I don’t think I’m as anal as I once was. :) I think I’d enjoy some happy watercolor accidents now!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..Celebrating Moms.

14. Melissa Allam commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:24pm

Gorgeous! I never tire of these shades of blue.

15. Renee commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:40pm

Leslie, What a stunning array of photos. Love the little collection of sea glass. Your watercolor patterns are wonderful.

Love it all.
    Renee´s last blog post ..Fabulous Fashion Giveaway From Shabby Apple

16. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:41pm

Awe Les this is stunning! Gorgeous veggies make me weak at the knees but this palette is right up there too! Makes me want to water colour right now!! and add more aqua & blue to my home! Thanx for the creative inspiration in between my nutrition studies:) Holly, hope you are well, I’ve been loving your posts lately, just no time to say hi, so HI:)
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Petite Slaw of Celeriac, Broccoli Sprouts, Meyer Lemon & Thyme – Guest Post @ Golubka

17. Cyn | decyng commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 9:43pm

really nice pictures! I love your work.
    Cyn | decyng´s last blog post ..Coincidencia pallet | Pallet´s coincidence

18. Beth commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 10:30pm

I love the sea glass spectrum of color. So soothing. And refreshing.
    And lovely.

19. Kristin Johnsen commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 10:30pm

Leslie – as always, VERY pretty and inspiring! I’m always so in awe of your use of color and your ingenious way of putting the colors together. I love beach glass – lived on the waters of Washington state and love to still visit from my home in SEattle – so I have glass that my Mom and I picked up when I was little (I’m over 55 now) that I still treasure – so I”m betting your daughter will do the same years from now! Thanks as always for your inspirations – I don’t do watercolors but you always make it look so easy!!!
    Kristin Johnsen´s last blog post ..A City of Bridges

20. Sacred & Profane Designs commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 11:15pm

Breathtaking! Fantastic hues, patterns and textures!

21. caroline trend-daily commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Lesley-love this colour me pretty SO much! Beautiful… Have a wonderful weekend! :-)
    caroline trend-daily´s last blog post ..Moodboards Elle Decoration

22. Nina Lamb commented
    May 4th, 2012 at 11:58pm

This has to be one of my favorite color stories. Your watercolor patters are simply beautiful. Great work Leslie!
    Nina Lamb´s last blog post ..German "Gemütlichkeit"

23. Josefin commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:01am

this are SOO much my colors!!!
    Not that I use them much, but this are MY colors anyhow;-)
    LOVELY color inspiration!!!

24. PriscilaPetersDecor commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:30am

So refreshing! The colors are inspiring…
    PriscilaPetersDecor´s last blog post ..Weekend

25. lebenslustiger commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:52am

Absolutely gorgeous and so summery and beachy!
    lebenslustiger´s last blog post ..Washi Tape Pedicure

26. Ría commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:55am

I love this color. It takes me to summer.
    I love your work with the acrilic.
    Ría´s last blog post ..New life for a magazine

27. Sara @ Zahara Dessert commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 1:09am

Just stunning! This is my favourite colour in the whole world… it makes me happy! Thanks so much for all the ideas
    Sara @ Zahara Dessert´s last blog post ..#29: Wall to ceiling library with a rolling ladder

28. Yolonda commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 4:06am

Love the colors…makes me want to hit the beach!

29. Mary Ann commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 4:38am

intoxicating.
    leslie you really know how to pull out all the stops don’t you?
    Going to look for my doilies now…gotta run!
    Thanks for making my already happy Friday a little sweeter.
    Mary Ann´s last blog post ..happy friday!

30. Amy commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 8:49am

The colour of the sea and the sky – so life-affirming, thanks Leslie. Have been thinking of a new colour for our front door, may go with a vibrant cobalt blue…x [PS. Have you seen the new book by Nichole Robertson – Paris in Colour? Right up your street ; ) x Amy
    Amy´s last blog post ..Sharrow Vale Market Sheffield

31. April Louise commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 9:07am

The swatches look so good taped on the wall x
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Oasis Scarf Collection

32. Yna commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 9:41am

Great colors. Great photos. I particularly love the collages. They are always a great inspiration. Today I will dream of the sea.
    Yna´s last blog post ..Wochenende

33. Bouboulette commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 11:28am

Love, love, love !!
    Thank you for these pics, it’s wonderful !!
    Bouboulette´s last blog post ..Autour du papier

34. tinajo commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 11:50am

This must be one of my favourites of your colorful posts – love the different hues and the fresh feeling! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..What an anticlimax!

35. Tracy A. commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 2:25pm

Oh my! This entire post is a visual feast!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..“What is elegance? Soap and water!” ~ Cecil Beaton

36. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 2:51pm

Oh, Leslie! This is so incredibly beautiful…and makes me wish I was beside the sea….I don’t know how you come up with all of these beautiful ideas every time….just so inspiring and so incredibly beautiful, my friend!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

37. madisoncary commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 3:38pm

gorgeous!
    madisoncary´s last blog post ..5 friday favorites.

38. Susan Mathison commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 3:48pm

Never met a blue I didn’t LOVE!!!
    Susan Mathison´s last blog post ..What’s in a name?

39. Shell commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 4:17pm

Oh, how much i love blue. This blue filled post makes my dreamy heart smile.

40. Karena commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 5:50pm

Oh I adore this idea, and the shades of blue are delightful!!

I have featured an Interview with Tina from The Enchanted Home…

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena

41. Anna Fieduna commented
    May 6th, 2012 at 3:22am

Just lovely! I am always inspired to pull out all my paints and doodle away. Thanks for the inspiration.

Take care
    Anna Fieduna´s last blog post ..Crochet veges by jungjung

42. Kelsey @ Pinegate Road commented
    May 6th, 2012 at 5:51am

How beautiful! Growing up on Lake Erie I spent many days each summer collecting sea glass. I had jars upon jars in my childhood room, this post in making me so nostalgic. I love the watercolor studies as well…something I haven’t done since high school. So many memories in this post, thank you so much for sharing :)
    Kelsey @ Pinegate Road´s last blog post ..the good kind of packing design, good food

43. Cathy Graves commented
    May 6th, 2012 at 4:55pm

Oh, what a beautiful post–incredible colors, incredible photos!! Thank you for this lovely study of one of my most favorite colors!!

44. Eva commented
    May 6th, 2012 at 5:03pm

Hello Leslie,

Love your blog! I look forward to receive your daily email and of course the fact that you like Dutch home décor magazines since I’m Dutch (love Vt-wonen too and we have a few more great ones :) ).
    I was wondering about the second to last picture in this post. It looks like you used watercolors on a canvas. Is that a special canvas or did you use acrylics?

Thanks!
    Eva.

45. Salli @ Tiipii commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 1:00am

This color me pretty post is stunning! The blue hues are such a relaxing and peaceful combination.

46. MeAndBoo commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 3:28am

Great idea! I shall certainly be making use of this for wrapping the next pressie.
    MeAndBoo´s last blog post ..The White Bear Necklace by MeAndBoo

47. Sabine commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 9:12am

Thanks for those lovely colors. I love especially your painting with different patterns and the ocean glass. A wonderful idea! :)

48. fenny setiawan commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 9:38am

I love this post and the color really soothe my day :). The blue gradient is beautifully arranged. My most fave will be the doilies dip into the water color for gift wrapping, I will try it out my self.

49. Miss Milky commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 1:51pm

Nice work! Love watercolors and shades of blue…

50. Joybucket commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 7:52pm

Your watercolor painting project would make a great cheater quilt. You could scan it and have it digitally printed. I look forward to these Color Me Pretty posts. Thank you.
    Joybucket´s last blog post ..Favor?

51. leslie commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 8:07pm

Thank you for all the wonderful comments!

Hi Eva- I used acrylics on a regular canvas in the second to last photo. I just watered some of the acrylics down.
    leslie´s last blog post ..Happy Spring

52. Chantal Vandenberg commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 3:08pm

Wow!!! I’m wanting to paint now! TFS! :D

53. The Single Nester commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 12:26am

Just love those shades of blue.

54. sabarinath commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 8:29am

this is a beautiful blog

55. Shabby Chic Decor commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 3:21pm

So stunning. I love all the shades of blue and the mood board is perfect inspiration!
    Shabby Chic Decor´s last blog post ..East End Reno is complete!

56. Rodinia commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 3:36pm

Ohhhh blue (and green) is my favorite color !!! Your work on shades is really beautiful !!

57. Imiw commented
    May 11th, 2012 at 9:27am

Oh! i love the Colors!
    Imiw´s last blog post ..Good Morning

58. Shannon Willey commented
    May 14th, 2012 at 11:02pm

This is sooo beautiful! I have been inspired. Thank you!

59. frank commented
    May 16th, 2012 at 10:48pm

I really like the color you picked out for the fabric collage, placed against the white wall is pretty. Did you end up filling the entire wall?

60. ALEXANDRA commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 6:02pm

oh my, I think WATERCOLORS is my next painting course…this is soooo lovely!! thank you

61. www.wishywashi.com commented
    August 12th, 2012 at 5:54pm
  62. anmaco commented
    October 3rd, 2012 at 11:39am

c’est magnifique, merci !!!!!

63. Ivy commented
    October 4th, 2012 at 1:32am

So beautiful and serene! I absolutely love these whimsical and pretty posts from Leslie! Thank you for sharing! xo.

64. Sophia commented
    October 11th, 2012 at 5:03am

wow~ i love ur painting~ it looks peaceful and pretty..
    i live near the beach in vancouver and the sea is blue ~

65. val/mra commented
    December 13th, 2012 at 9:45am

how all these diferent blues are so beautifull!!
    val/mra´s last blog post ..12-12-2012…..

66. Vera commented
    February 4th, 2013 at 10:35pm

I love the dyed doilies, what a great idea!

67. uk bathrooms commented
    February 25th, 2013 at 10:43am

I love this! I tried to make something similar once ago, for my bathroom. Finally I decided to wait until I restyle and change all the room… But it is something I want to put there!
    Helen

68. Veronica commented
    March 19th, 2013 at 6:25pm

I absolutely love those doilies, they would be the perfect touch on a gift. And hot pink would be adorable, please share when you do them!
    Veronica´s last blog post ..Blue Meets Yellow