May 7, 2012

Hello everyone! It’s Emilie and I’m back with the May edition of Playing With Food. Thank you for your warm response to my first post, it’s wonderful to see the joy that food brings! I believe food is all about sharing. I’m glad to see you think so, too.

May Meringues

Today I decided to work on two desserts, both based on French meringue.

May Meringues

I love working with this stuff. You can create all kinds of shapes, it’s sweet, decadent and easy to colour ! I’ll start by showing you how to make little meringues that you can make for a gift (or eat yourself!). As with my first Playing with food post, I’ll just give you the broad sweep rather than step-by-step instructions. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have in the comments below! I whip my egg whites into peaks with castor sugar, and then fold in icing sugar with a spatula to stiffen up my meringue nicely.

May Meringues

I then spoon the meringue, that I’ve colored with a bit of powdered colorant into five exquisite pastel colors, into little pots. (Make sure you don’t get your pots mixed up!) Add more colorant to make your colors brighter.

May Meringues

I make my meringues using a piping bag and put them in the oven on a very low heat for about one hour and 30 minutes. The result: a delightful assortment of crunchy and pretty pastel-colored meringues!

May Meringues

I arrange my meringues in a little box lined with a doily, and close it with a charming piece of string, a colorful card and little pompoms. What a deliciously boxed gift!

May Meringues

The second dessert is a pavlova. Ohhhh…. Pavlova! This dessert is truly decadent! With meringue at the bottom, velvety cream in the middle, sweet gariguettes garden strawberries (one of the best varieties in France, yummy!) on top, and a bit of coulis, it is simply divine! It’s crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth and fresh – everything I love!

May Meringues

Makes you wish it was teatime, doesn’t it? I hope you enjoyed reading this post! I’ll be back next month with new treats! – Emilie

(images: emilie guelpa)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Iva Y May 7, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Oh, this is just too pretty <3

I'm so happy pastel colors are in style now, I've always loved them :)

• Reply Knit Spirit May 7, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Nie pictures as usual! Thanks Emilie for this great post.

• Reply Frau Süd May 7, 2012 at 4:33 pm

BRILLIANT! Just brilliant! I really, really, really LOVE this!

• Reply Lindsey May 7, 2012 at 4:37 pm

So happy to see Emilie here! Those colored meringues are brilliant, bookmarking this for my next edible gift!

• Reply Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} May 7, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Pavlova it’s my crush, I could eat without stopping. I love the idea of a tea party using these meringues which look really inviting. And the photography, it’s useless to say, how wonderful it is! <3

• Reply Tina Ramchandani May 7, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’ve never been very good at making at meringues but you make it look so easy. The colors are beautiful!

• Reply Cyn | decyng May 7, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I really like your idea of meringues boxed gift and the photos!

• Reply Andrea May 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi there! Where do you get your powdered colorants from? I’m wondering if I can buy them online and use them to also color the white chocolate I use for my cake pops.

Thanks so much!

• Reply Audrey - This Little Street May 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Oh emilie! These look SO happy and yummi!!!!

• Reply Karena May 7, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Oh yum how pretty and delicious!! Holly I love the little pots!!

Art by Karena

• Reply Jardim de Algodão Doce May 7, 2012 at 5:30 pm

• Reply Amalia May 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Thank you for this light and airy treat! It’s beauty cheered me up in a less than perfect day

• Reply Tracey Fisher May 7, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Hi Emilie
    Love this. So pretty and fresh. The colours that you have used are amazing. I have a question. Do you use a standing mixer or a hand-held mixer to whip the eggs. Thanks so much – have a lovely day!

• Reply Neza May 7, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oh, my! Gorgeous!!! The colours are lovely. But I couldn’t get all the pastel powders here.
    The flowery tray caught my eye, it’s perfectly springy – where is it from? Please tell!
    Want want ;)

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} May 7, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Gorgeous meringues! So pretty! I love the way you packaged them too. Oh, and I love the color coordinated spoons! So cute!

• Reply The Ugly Cupcake May 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Where can I find those spoons?! They are lovely!

• Reply argone May 7, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I love your pictures, Emilie ! :-))) These soft colours are so yummy ! I have one question : may I ask you the reference of the tip you are using for this small meringue shape ? Thanks a lot

• Reply Cate May 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Simply lovely! This post is a pleasure for the eyes! And not only!

• Reply sandra lund May 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm

what beautiful pictures! I love meringues! And pavlova is such an amazing thing :-)

• Reply Susan May 7, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I adore these colors for the candies and the box with tag. Lovely.

• Reply Lindsay at Bliss & Whimsy May 7, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh yummy!! The meringues look so pretty and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Sacred & Profane Designs May 7, 2012 at 8:13 pm

The pastel-colored meringues are sooo beautiful just to look at! And I bet they are delicious too!

• Reply hennymats May 7, 2012 at 8:19 pm

those look so pretty Emilie! Love the colors. And the mug in that one shot. One question I have: what piping tip did you use? The result looks so much finer and nicer than the average star tips I’ve seen.

Oh and I love those tiny strawberries. They’re called forest strawberry here I think, and while mine are blossoming like there’s no tomorrow, I don’t have any berries yet. But now I have some more ideas for when I do… Thanks for sharing!

• Reply caroline trend-daily May 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

your phoos look so lovely and he meringues are gorgeous! I showed my son Gabriel, 6 and he has been saring at he pictures-he’s wanted to be a chef since he was 3! Thank you fo r a lovely post!

• Reply Beth May 7, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I love your springy pastel photos!

• Reply Federica May 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm

So yummy!!

• Reply Bouboulette May 7, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Cute !! :)

• Reply Greta May 7, 2012 at 10:41 pm

How incredibly sweet! Just love the packaging!

• Reply Sibylle@Funkytime May 7, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Oh so beautiful!!!

• Reply Griottes May 7, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Thank you so much for all your comment ! Its really nice :) I’m happy to read your lovely comments !

For answer :
    @Andrea : I use powdered colorants that I bought in Paris.. not online sorry.. Where to you live ?
    @Neza : ikea ! New collection !! So beautiful no ? :D
    @Tracey Fisher : To mix the eggs I have an electric mixer! A Kitchen Aid. have a lovely day too !
    @Ashley : Well done for the spoons! you have good eyes :)
    @The Ugly Cupcake : here :
    @Argone : je te réponds en francais hein ! Alors je ne sais pas comment je fais pour savoir le numéro de la pointe ? je te ferrais une photo sur twitter !
    @hennymats : I do not know the exact reference but I would do a picture tomorrow, I would put here! I liked the name of your strawberry, it’s very poetic !
    @caroline : so cute !!!

• Reply Noelle Williams May 8, 2012 at 1:23 am

Hello colors! Yes, please.

• Reply Alicia May 8, 2012 at 1:26 am

I love it!
    Are you able to list your quanitites and ingredients please so I can make these yummy treats?

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 8, 2012 at 1:49 am

Beautiful pictures! These are truly amazing and lovely!

• Reply Jenni @ Jarfly May 8, 2012 at 2:28 am

I would like to know where the lovely dishes and specifically the tray and utensils can be purchased? Gorgeous gorgeous food, photography and props!

• Reply Glenda Childers May 8, 2012 at 2:33 am

Holly ~ I was just watching the season finale of the sitcom “2 Broke Girls” and there on a book shelf … in clear view … your book Decorate. Very fun.

• Reply Aneta May 8, 2012 at 4:46 am

As usual – stunning photos that my my mouth watering :) Beautiful sweet delights, I will definitely try to make Pavlova once I have strawberries ready in my backyard .

• Reply Amberly May 8, 2012 at 6:33 am

Yum!! And so beautiful. Love your posts!

• Reply katrina May 8, 2012 at 7:03 am

these look sooooo incredible!!

• Reply Lisse May 8, 2012 at 7:54 am

What a lovely post, all the photos are so pinnable the pastels are so beautiful!

I can’t resist pinning it on my pinterest board (

• Reply Neza May 8, 2012 at 11:10 am

Thank you Emilie! For this great post, for reading our comments and also for answering our questions.
    Sending happy thoughts your way ;)
    And love XO

• Reply Jane May 8, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh Emilie! This post is beyond divine. I am swooning in faraway Hobart, Australia. I would also love to buy that pretty tray. You say it’s from IKEA – do you know the name? I am trying to find out if it’s available in Australia! Many thanks J x

• Reply Jessica @shimmerkai May 8, 2012 at 1:13 pm

These look delicious! Definitely one of my favorite light desserts…

• Reply argone May 8, 2012 at 1:57 pm

ok – merci Griottes, je guette la photo sur twitter ;-) bizzz

• Reply Patti Trostle May 8, 2012 at 3:06 pm

What great ideas! I would have never thought of these. Beautiful too!

• Reply jet May 8, 2012 at 3:47 pm

gourgious those picts and it looks so dreamy and sweet and yummie.
    Love them, great and awesome idea of yours.

• Reply Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods May 8, 2012 at 7:26 pm

YUM! They look so delish and so pretty!

• Reply Gretchen May 8, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Daydreaming time – Love polka dots and Pavlova.

• Reply Kate May 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Absolutely divine…I’m in the middle of planning my wedding menu and you have definitely provided some wonderful inspiration for dessert! I just need to try and find the powdered food colouring as I have tried to colour meringue with liquid food colouring before without much success! Anybody got any ideas?

• Reply Linsi May 8, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Hummm ! It seems very delicious !!! I published a recipe of cookies on my blog ! Enjoy !

• Reply Helen May 9, 2012 at 1:15 am

My goodness…. how exquisite! I was just having a ‘discussion’ with hubby as he was requesting I make a pavlova for him which has never been attempted by me before. And now you’ve inspired me! Those little meringues as gifts are delightful!! :) PS: the photography is absolutely beautiful too.

• Reply Maria @ All Things Luxurious May 9, 2012 at 5:18 am

Oh, my goodness! Both are beautiful, but I especially love the colors and shapes of those meringues!! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)

• Reply Jelena May 9, 2012 at 9:42 am

Sooooooo cute :)

• Reply Tracy A. May 9, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Lovely, lovely photos!

• Reply Rodinia May 9, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Trop trop trop beauuuuuuu !!!! T’as pas fini de m’inspirer (depuis que je connais ton blog c’est mon nouveau hobby : décorer des boites et les remplir avec des bons pti trucs) ! Faudrait que j’achète la bonne douille pour faire les mêmes que toi car pour l’instant j’en fais mais des rondes toutes simples :( Encore merci pour ces belles photos !!! ^^

• Reply giulietta May 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Are the Ressource colorants foodsafe?????

• Reply Julie-white tapestry May 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Looks so delicious! I tried making this once but it definitely didn’t look as good as this!

• Reply Chrystina May 10, 2012 at 12:16 am

Colored meringues! These look incredible. I’m impressed. I always have problems getting peaks in the egg whites. I recently learned you should do it in a glass bowl and not a plastic bowl though, so that was a help….

• Reply juliet May 10, 2012 at 6:24 am

I love the little white cup with red dots! Do you mind telling where I can find one of them?

• Reply decor8 May 12, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Thank you Emilie for your beautiful post! Always a pleasure to welcome you each month on decor8!

• Reply Bobbi May 10, 2012 at 7:20 pm

I love playing with meringue; it’s just so pretty! These are lovely, can’t wait to try them out:)

• Reply Melle M. May 11, 2012 at 9:34 am

mais comment fait la “griotte déesse internationale de la cuicine poétique française” pour faire des recettes cro cro jolies et cro cro appétissantes???je veux le secret, allez stp emilie!!

• Reply Yemi@Cot Bed Mattress May 12, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Love the soft pastel colours. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

• Reply Kimberly Jones May 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I enjoyed this fun, colorful post so much! Your photos are so pretty and inspiring. Emilie, you are the perfect addition to decor8!

• Reply Alison May 20, 2012 at 5:46 am

this is blowing my mind! both the meringues and the photography! xo

• Reply Alessandra May 21, 2012 at 10:14 am

So lovely, i pinned one of your images!

• Reply Toffee May 31, 2012 at 9:42 am

i love the yummy color.. pretty xoxo
    hope i can bake the same as u too :)

• Reply Kat June 7, 2012 at 9:25 pm

This is so inspiring Emilie I love how you did those tiny meringues in such pretty colours and then placed them in a lovely box.
    Kat xx

• Reply Elle July 20, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hello, I’d like to know the star tip used to make those meringues! Please send me a photo? Thanks!!

• Reply Manuela August 25, 2012 at 2:06 pm

hhmmmmmmmmmhhhhmmm …looks so much delicious! I love them!

• Reply Angela October 5, 2012 at 2:07 am

Would love the detailed recipe for your meringues…would you kindly share? Looks divine!

• Reply Jane October 18, 2012 at 9:43 am

Could you use liquid/gel food colours?

• Reply Rachel January 11, 2013 at 4:30 am

Are you open to sharing your meringue recipe? I haven’t had any success so far!!

• Reply Ashley January 21, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Where do you get the pastel food coloring for the meringue cookies?

• Reply Leslie January 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

French Meringue has been a favorite treat of mines since I was a little girl! I’ve made them before as well but never tried doing the different colors…it’s such a cute and simple idea. I also loved the idea of giving them as gifts never thought of that but next time I need a cute, simple gift for someone or even as a babyshower treat I will definitely think about Meringues!

• Reply Mari February 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Would you be willing to post step by step instructions on your recipe for meringues Im not having any luck with mine.

• Reply antje olszewski March 28, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Hey There. I love your meringues. Which piping tip did u use???

• Reply Kelly April 22, 2013 at 3:04 am

YAY – Love this! You’ve inspired me once again. I have been looking at ideas for party favours… This is i. It is perfect! Am off to the kitchen to give this a go xx

• Reply Renata August 26, 2013 at 8:40 am

The meringues are such a cute idea for gifts!
    Mind me ask at what temperature you baked them at? Since you didn’t mention it. Also what brand of powdered colorants did you use?
    Please email me! I’d love to try your recipe. I love French meringues! Thanks!!

• Reply Ananda October 11, 2013 at 10:06 pm

What a lovely desert and gift wrap! What an inspiration! This post and the little pastel-colored meringues make me smile. THANK YOU

• Reply Langthang May 3, 2014 at 2:36 am

I love the coloured meringues, they are so delicious. Please show me how to make them for this coming Mother’s Day. If you can share your recipe, please send to my email address.

Thanks so much

• Reply Lindsey May 4, 2014 at 11:49 pm

These are just the cutest ever! So adorable and look so yummy! I love the colored meringue in the little jars, looks so festive! Can’t wait to give them a try!

• Reply Debbie May 5, 2014 at 5:17 am

Your meringues and pavlova look wonderful. I noticed that a number of people asked you for the recipes. I didn’t see them posted. Do you give them out? I would love to try them.

• Reply Ana September 10, 2014 at 9:28 pm

is there an ingredients list? and what is considered a low temperature for baking these? and, how long do they stay good for? They look fantastic! Can’t wait to try these out.