Playing With Food: May Meringues

Hello everyone! It’s Emilie and I’m back with the May edition of Playing With Food. Thank you for your warm response to my first post, it’s wonderful to see the joy that food brings! I believe food is all about sharing. I’m glad to see you think so, too.

Playing With Food today on decor8

Today I decided to work on two desserts, both based on French meringue.

Playing With Food today on decor8

I love working with this stuff. You can create all kinds of shapes, it’s sweet, decadent and easy to colour ! I’ll start by showing you how to make little meringues that you can make for a gift (or eat yourself!). As with my first Playing with food post, I’ll just give you the broad sweep rather than step-by-step instructions. Please feel free to ask me any questions you have in the comments below! I whip my egg whites into peaks with castor sugar, and then fold in icing sugar with a spatula to stiffen up my meringue nicely.

Playing With Food today on decor8

I then spoon the meringue, that I’ve colored with a bit of powdered colorant into five exquisite pastel colors, into little pots. (Make sure you don’t get your pots mixed up!) Add more colorant to make your colors brighter.

Playing With Food today on decor8

I make my meringues using a piping bag and put them in the oven on a very low heat for about one hour and 30 minutes. The result: a delightful assortment of crunchy and pretty pastel-colored meringues!

Playing With Food today on decor8

I arrange my meringues in a little box lined with a doily, and close it with a charming piece of string, a colorful card and little pompoms. What a deliciously boxed gift!

Playing With Food today on decor8

The second dessert is a pavlova. Ohhhh…. Pavlova! This dessert is truly decadent! With meringue at the bottom, velvety cream in the middle, sweet gariguettes garden strawberries (one of the best varieties in France, yummy!) on top, and a bit of coulis, it is simply divine! It’s crunchy, melt-in-your-mouth and fresh – everything I love!

Playing With Food today on decor8

Makes you wish it was teatime, doesn’t it? I hope you enjoyed reading this post! I’ll be back next month with new treats! – Emilie

(images: emilie guelpa)

Posted by decor8 in Playing With Food on May 07, 2012

1. Iva Y commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:23pm

Oh, this is just too pretty <3

I'm so happy pastel colors are in style now, I've always loved them :)
    Iva Y´s last blog post ..Happy Firday

2. Knit Spirit commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:28pm

Nie pictures as usual! Thanks Emilie for this great post.

3. Frau Süd commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:33pm

BRILLIANT! Just brilliant! I really, really, really LOVE this!

4. Lindsey commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:37pm

So happy to see Emilie here! Those colored meringues are brilliant, bookmarking this for my next edible gift!
    Lindsey´s last blog post ..Franco File Friday: Doni Belau, Girl’s Guide to Paris

5. Gabriela {What Liberty Ate} commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:39pm

Pavlova it’s my crush, I could eat without stopping. I love the idea of a tea party using these meringues which look really inviting. And the photography, it’s useless to say, how wonderful it is! <3
    Gabriela {What Liberty Ate}´s last blog post ..French Madeleines and Millésime

6. Tina Ramchandani commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:43pm

I’ve never been very good at making at meringues but you make it look so easy. The colors are beautiful!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Rue Mag Highlight: Tamara Kaye-Honey Pasadena Design

7. Cyn | decyng commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 4:46pm

I really like your idea of meringues boxed gift and the photos!
    Cyn | decyng´s last blog post ..Keith Haring y Google | Keith Haring and Google

8. Andrea commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:13pm

Hi there! Where do you get your powdered colorants from? I’m wondering if I can buy them online and use them to also color the white chocolate I use for my cake pops.

Thanks so much!

9. Audrey - This Little Street commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:14pm

Oh emilie! These look SO happy and yummi!!!!

10. Karena commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:21pm

Oh yum how pretty and delicious!! Holly I love the little pots!!

xoxo
    Karena

Art by Karena
    Karena´s last blog post ..Featuring Tina from The Enchanted Home An Interview and Giveaway

11. Jardim de Algodão Doce commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:30pm

Wondurful!

12. Amalia commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:34pm

Thank you for this light and airy treat! It’s beauty cheered me up in a less than perfect day
    Amalia´s last blog post ..Happy Birthday Yonathan

13. Tracey Fisher commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:35pm

Hi Emilie
    Love this. So pretty and fresh. The colours that you have used are amazing. I have a question. Do you use a standing mixer or a hand-held mixer to whip the eggs. Thanks so much – have a lovely day!
    Tracey Fisher´s last blog post ..Wrap it up Thursday – Neon Packages

14. Neza commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:45pm

Oh, my! Gorgeous!!! The colours are lovely. But I couldn’t get all the pastel powders here.
    The flowery tray caught my eye, it’s perfectly springy – where is it from? Please tell!
    Want want ;)

15. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 5:46pm

Gorgeous meringues! So pretty! I love the way you packaged them too. Oh, and I love the color coordinated spoons! So cute!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..Happy Skinnygirl margarita day! And girly week in review.

16. The Ugly Cupcake commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 6:20pm

Where can I find those spoons?! They are lovely!

17. argone commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 6:21pm

I love your pictures, Emilie ! :-))) These soft colours are so yummy ! I have one question : may I ask you the reference of the tip you are using for this small meringue shape ? Thanks a lot
    argone´s last blog post ..Macarons au coquelicot

18. Cate commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 6:37pm

Simply lovely! This post is a pleasure for the eyes! And not only!
    Cate´s last blog post ..Minicard from Moo.com

19. sandra lund commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 7:03pm

what beautiful pictures! I love meringues! And pavlova is such an amazing thing :-)
    sandra lund´s last blog post ..Just a little Copenhagen tip

20. Susan commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 7:46pm

I adore these colors for the candies and the box with tag. Lovely.
    Susan´s last blog post ..Favor?

21. Lindsay at Bliss & Whimsy commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 7:55pm

Oh yummy!! The meringues look so pretty and delicious! Thanks for sharing :)
    Lindsay at Bliss & Whimsy´s last blog post ..Fresh "Spring" Water

22. Sacred & Profane Designs commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 8:13pm

The pastel-colored meringues are sooo beautiful just to look at! And I bet they are delicious too!

23. hennymats commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 8:19pm

those look so pretty Emilie! Love the colors. And the mug in that one shot. One question I have: what piping tip did you use? The result looks so much finer and nicer than the average star tips I’ve seen.

Oh and I love those tiny strawberries. They’re called forest strawberry here I think, and while mine are blossoming like there’s no tomorrow, I don’t have any berries yet. But now I have some more ideas for when I do… Thanks for sharing!
    hennymats´s last blog post ..{the simple things} at the fair

24. caroline trend-daily commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 8:20pm

your phoos look so lovely and he meringues are gorgeous! I showed my son Gabriel, 6 and he has been saring at he pictures-he’s wanted to be a chef since he was 3! Thank you fo r a lovely post!
    caroline trend-daily´s last blog post ..Moodboards Elle Decoration

25. Beth commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 8:24pm

I love your springy pastel photos!

26. Federica commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 9:34pm

So yummy!!
    Federica´s last blog post ..Il Sabato del Vi…aggio!

27. Bouboulette commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 9:46pm

28. Greta commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 10:41pm

How incredibly sweet! Just love the packaging!
    Greta´s last blog post ..Acorn

29. Sibylle@Funkytime commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 10:47pm

Oh so beautiful!!!
    Sibylle@Funkytime´s last blog post ..Fancy Popsicles

30. Griottes commented
    May 7th, 2012 at 11:42pm

Thank you so much for all your comment ! Its really nice :) I’m happy to read your lovely comments !

For answer :
    @Andrea : I use powdered colorants that I bought in Paris.. not online sorry.. Where to you live ?
    @Neza : ikea ! New collection !! So beautiful no ? :D
    @Tracey Fisher : To mix the eggs I have an electric mixer! A Kitchen Aid. have a lovely day too !
    @Ashley : Well done for the spoons! you have good eyes :)
    @The Ugly Cupcake : here : http://fr.sabre.fr/catalogue/couverts
    @Argone : je te réponds en francais hein ! Alors je ne sais pas comment je fais pour savoir le numéro de la pointe ? je te ferrais une photo sur twitter !
    @hennymats : I do not know the exact reference but I would do a picture tomorrow, I would put here! I liked the name of your strawberry, it’s very poetic !
    @caroline : so cute !!!
    Griottes´s last blog post ..Welcome to the circus !

31. Noelle Williams commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:23am

Hello colors! Yes, please.

32. Alicia commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:26am

I love it!
    Are you able to list your quanitites and ingredients please so I can make these yummy treats?

33. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:49am

Beautiful pictures! These are truly amazing and lovely!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..A walk around the backyard…

34. Jenni @ Jarfly commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 2:28am

I would like to know where the lovely dishes and specifically the tray and utensils can be purchased? Gorgeous gorgeous food, photography and props!
    Jenni @ Jarfly´s last blog post ..Floral Favorites: Spring and Summer Too!

35. Glenda Childers commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 2:33am

Holly ~ I was just watching the season finale of the sitcom “2 Broke Girls” and there on a book shelf … in clear view … your book Decorate. Very fun.
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Where everybody knows your name

36. Aneta commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 4:46am

As usual – stunning photos that my my mouth watering :) Beautiful sweet delights, I will definitely try to make Pavlova once I have strawberries ready in my backyard .
    Aneta´s last blog post ..Martha Stewart Show and Etsy

37. Amberly commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 6:33am

Yum!! And so beautiful. Love your posts!

~amberly
    Amberly´s last blog post ..Cinco de Mayo in Apt. 302

38. katrina commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 7:03am

these look sooooo incredible!!

39. Lisse commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 7:54am

What a lovely post, all the photos are so pinnable the pastels are so beautiful!

I can’t resist pinning it on my pinterest board (http://pinterest.com/lissez/)

40. Neza commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 11:10am

Thank you Emilie! For this great post, for reading our comments and also for answering our questions.
    Sending happy thoughts your way ;)
    And love XO

41. Jane commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:06pm

Oh Emilie! This post is beyond divine. I am swooning in faraway Hobart, Australia. I would also love to buy that pretty tray. You say it’s from IKEA – do you know the name? I am trying to find out if it’s available in Australia! Many thanks J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Would you care to fill in a little survey for me, pretty please?

42. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:13pm

These look delicious! Definitely one of my favorite light desserts…
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Happy Weekend

43. argone commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 1:57pm

ok – merci Griottes, je guette la photo sur twitter ;-) bizzz
    argone´s last blog post ..Macarons au coquelicot

44. Patti Trostle commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 3:06pm

What great ideas! I would have never thought of these. Beautiful too!

45. jet commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 3:47pm

gourgious those picts and it looks so dreamy and sweet and yummie.
    Love them, great and awesome idea of yours.

46. Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 7:26pm

YUM! They look so delish and so pretty!
    Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods´s last blog post ..A Few Shots of Life

47. Gretchen commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 9:16pm

Daydreaming time – Love polka dots and Pavlova.

48. Kate commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 9:51pm

Absolutely divine…I’m in the middle of planning my wedding menu and you have definitely provided some wonderful inspiration for dessert! I just need to try and find the powdered food colouring as I have tried to colour meringue with liquid food colouring before without much success! Anybody got any ideas?
    Kate´s last blog post ..Some new friends x

49. Linsi commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 10:06pm

Hummm ! It seems very delicious !!! I published a recipe of cookies on my blog ! Enjoy !
    Linsi´s last blog post ..Wear This Now: Stripes

50. Helen commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 1:15am

My goodness…. how exquisite! I was just having a ‘discussion’ with hubby as he was requesting I make a pavlova for him which has never been attempted by me before. And now you’ve inspired me! Those little meringues as gifts are delightful!! :) PS: the photography is absolutely beautiful too.
    Helen´s last blog post ..Nurturing

51. Maria @ All Things Luxurious commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 5:18am

Oh, my goodness! Both are beautiful, but I especially love the colors and shapes of those meringues!! Thanks so much for sharing. :-)
    Maria @ All Things Luxurious´s last blog post ..Day Planners to Love

52. Jelena commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 9:42am

Sooooooo cute :)

53. Tracy A. commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 2:10pm

Lovely, lovely photos!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post .."And they’re off!!!!!"

54. Rodinia commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 3:28pm

Trop trop trop beauuuuuuu !!!! T’as pas fini de m’inspirer (depuis que je connais ton blog c’est mon nouveau hobby : décorer des boites et les remplir avec des bons pti trucs) ! Faudrait que j’achète la bonne douille pour faire les mêmes que toi car pour l’instant j’en fais mais des rondes toutes simples :( Encore merci pour ces belles photos !!! ^^

55. giulietta commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 9:49pm

Are the Ressource colorants foodsafe?????

56. Julie-white tapestry commented
    May 9th, 2012 at 9:58pm

Looks so delicious! I tried making this once but it definitely didn’t look as good as this!
    Julie-white tapestry´s last blog post ..Bushwick, Brooklyn Renovation {Before and After}

57. Chrystina commented
    May 10th, 2012 at 12:16am

Colored meringues! These look incredible. I’m impressed. I always have problems getting peaks in the egg whites. I recently learned you should do it in a glass bowl and not a plastic bowl though, so that was a help….
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..when social media collides and blows your mind

58. juliet commented
    May 10th, 2012 at 6:24am

I love the little white cup with red dots! Do you mind telling where I can find one of them?

59. Bobbi commented
    May 10th, 2012 at 7:20pm

I love playing with meringue; it’s just so pretty! These are lovely, can’t wait to try them out:)
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..A Wonky Wednesday

60. Melle M. commented
    May 11th, 2012 at 9:34am

mais comment fait la “griotte déesse internationale de la cuicine poétique française” pour faire des recettes cro cro jolies et cro cro appétissantes???je veux le secret, allez stp emilie!!

61. decor8 commented
    May 12th, 2012 at 2:09pm

Thank you Emilie for your beautiful post! Always a pleasure to welcome you each month on decor8!

62. Yemi@Cot Bed Mattress commented
    May 12th, 2012 at 4:29pm

Love the soft pastel colours. Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

63. Kimberly Jones commented
    May 15th, 2012 at 4:17pm

I enjoyed this fun, colorful post so much! Your photos are so pretty and inspiring. Emilie, you are the perfect addition to decor8!

64. Alison commented
    May 20th, 2012 at 5:46am

this is blowing my mind! both the meringues and the photography! xo

65. Alessandra commented
    May 21st, 2012 at 10:14am

So lovely, i pinned one of your images!

Ciao
    Alessandra

66. Toffee commented
    May 31st, 2012 at 9:42am

i love the yummy color.. pretty xoxo
    hope i can bake the same as u too :)

67. Kat commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 9:25pm

This is so inspiring Emilie I love how you did those tiny meringues in such pretty colours and then placed them in a lovely box.
    Kat xx

68. Elle commented
    July 20th, 2012 at 12:28pm

Hello, I’d like to know the star tip used to make those meringues! Please send me a photo? Thanks!!

69. Manuela commented
    August 25th, 2012 at 2:06pm

hhmmmmmmmmmhhhhmmm …looks so much delicious! I love them!

70. Angela commented
    October 5th, 2012 at 2:07am

Would love the detailed recipe for your meringues…would you kindly share? Looks divine!

71. Jane commented
    October 18th, 2012 at 9:43am

Could you use liquid/gel food colours?

72. Rachel commented
    January 11th, 2013 at 4:30am

Are you open to sharing your meringue recipe? I haven’t had any success so far!!

73. Ashley commented
    January 21st, 2013 at 11:10pm

Where do you get the pastel food coloring for the meringue cookies?

74. Leslie commented
    January 24th, 2013 at 5:37pm

French Meringue has been a favorite treat of mines since I was a little girl! I’ve made them before as well but never tried doing the different colors…it’s such a cute and simple idea. I also loved the idea of giving them as gifts never thought of that but next time I need a cute, simple gift for someone or even as a babyshower treat I will definitely think about Meringues!

75. Mari commented
    February 23rd, 2013 at 11:15pm

Would you be willing to post step by step instructions on your recipe for meringues Im not having any luck with mine.

76. antje olszewski commented
    March 28th, 2013 at 2:20pm

Hey There. I love your meringues. Which piping tip did u use???

77. Kelly commented
    April 22nd, 2013 at 3:04am

YAY – Love this! You’ve inspired me once again. I have been looking at ideas for party favours… This is i. It is perfect! Am off to the kitchen to give this a go xx

78. Renata commented
    August 26th, 2013 at 8:40am

The meringues are such a cute idea for gifts!
    Mind me ask at what temperature you baked them at? Since you didn’t mention it. Also what brand of powdered colorants did you use?
    Please email me! I’d love to try your recipe. I love French meringues! Thanks!!

79. Ananda commented
    October 11th, 2013 at 10:06pm

What a lovely desert and gift wrap! What an inspiration! This post and the little pastel-colored meringues make me smile. THANK YOU

80. Langthang commented
    May 3rd, 2014 at 2:36am

Hi

I love the coloured meringues, they are so delicious. Please show me how to make them for this coming Mother’s Day. If you can share your recipe, please send to my email address.

Thanks so much
    Langthang

81. Lindsey commented
    May 4th, 2014 at 11:49pm

These are just the cutest ever! So adorable and look so yummy! I love the colored meringue in the little jars, looks so festive! Can’t wait to give them a try!

82. Debbie commented
    May 5th, 2014 at 5:17am

Your meringues and pavlova look wonderful. I noticed that a number of people asked you for the recipes. I didn’t see them posted. Do you give them out? I would love to try them.
    Thanks