Books + Magazines

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

May 27, 2012

I currently have a crush on stylist and author Hans Blomquist and wanted to drop in for a moment to give his work a shout out and point you over to his book, The Natural Home, published by Ryland Peters & Small in London. Hans is a stylist after my own heart, giving rooms a very casual lived-in touch with heart. Nothing in his new book looks overly styled or fussed with and I admire that.

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

I own a few of the books that he has directed and styled for IKEA, but The Natural Home is unique in that it is his vision from cover-to-cover and is completely independent of IKEA so he was able to really go for it and scout spaces for the book that spoke to his aesthetic AND he didn’t have to worry about including specific products so he used what was in people’s homes to tweak as he worked. There are so many beautiful photos in this book which was photographed by Debi Treloar whom I’ve worked with on two books.  I can really see Debi working with Hans more in the future, they seem to really click – you can always tell that about a book I think – the relationship between the stylist and the photographer. Debi told me that Hans would deliberately mess things up when styling for a shot – and from what I can see in his book, he did a brilliant job doing that — the wrong somehow looks very, very right when done by his expert hand.

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

From Amazon, “The Natural Home is a place where natural materials and motifs are the key elements of a decorating style that is a joy to live with and a joy to behold. Influential art director and stylist Hans Blomquist starts off by exploring the essence of his style. In Texture, he revels in the textures and patinas of natural materials. Still Life reveals Hans’ passion for creating displays that showcase treasured pieces, while Plants and Flowers celebrates the beauty of nature and the cycles of the natural world. Color presents his favorite earthy, natural color palette, which provides the perfect backdrop for hits of brighter natural hues. In the second part of the book, Homes, through a series of case studies, Hans explores houses and apartments that showcase the beautiful simplicity and elegance of the natural look.” As a bit of a bonus, I’ve included some photos from his portfolio below so you can see his other work…, Hans is represented by Agent Bauer and you can find more information about him here.

The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist
The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

Bottom line… If you love the idea of living naturally in a relaxed environment filled with vintage finds, texture, industrial touches, old meets new and natural earthy colors you will adore The Natural Home. It’s stunning and a current fave of mine!

(images: top 6: holly becker, all the rest: portfolio of hans blomquist )

You Might Also Like

• Reply Jem May 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

Thank you for the recommend, Holly. May have to check this out!

• Reply the upholstress May 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

have ordered a copy……thanks for posting

• Reply rowena May 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I’ve seen lots of his work before but didn’t know it was all his. I think I really love this Hans Blomquist.

• Reply Chez chouke May 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I would love to live in all of those pictures….oh my! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply MndM May 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm

your blog is very nice! very… american!! i lov it ! i’m french.

• Reply Igor May 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Thanks for this cool book review. Sounds like I would really love it, too. Love lived-in places that do not look like showrooms. After all, I want inspiration for a home not for a store! Thanks Holly!

• Reply Vicki May 27, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Must buy this book, it’ll be good company for my much-thumbed copy of Decorate. V x

• Reply tinajo May 27, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Great sense of style, never too much! :-)

• Reply Tracy A. May 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I absolutely love the photos that you have shared from Hans’ book – just lovely. I am inspired by them and know that his book will have to be on my bookshelf!

• Reply Cathy Turley May 27, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Thanks for sharing about Hans. I love his look.

I just had a glance at his website. I absolutely love the image he did for Ikea with the geese (?)… If you haven’t seen it, a stuffed/paper-mache goose or swan is standing on the table with wings fully extended. Another bird is on the mantle. The light is lavender. There are 2 helium balloons and shiny ornaments hang from the ceiling. It looks magical.

Here’s the link…

• Reply Bouboulette May 27, 2012 at 10:30 pm

Nice pics !

• Reply caroline @trend-daily May 27, 2012 at 11:00 pm

I adore his work and the book looks so wonderful-I have it on order and now can’t wait to receive it! Lovely review.

• Reply Jules May 28, 2012 at 4:51 am

I’m going to check this book out. I can’t resist a collected, professorial home with natural elements. My home is on its way to looking that way, and I love it!

• Reply Alejandra Zuluaga May 28, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I love the old meets new vibe, totally into it.
    I feel most of what inspires me comes from this idea, and this images are giving me a new perspective on what I can get done.
    Thank you for sharing it!

• Reply Gizem May 28, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Beautiful interior work. I appreciate his style where he uses warm colours and nostalgic/classic aesthetics from our romanticised dream home into his works. I would say some are rather whimsical for my liking, but I think it sort of represents the NATURAL HOME look. I also like the retro approach in his designs.

• Reply millepertuis May 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I adore his work, so I’m going to check this book out. Nice pics and Thanks for sharing, I like your blog!

• Reply Cathy May 29, 2012 at 7:23 am

Love the shelving and living room furniture pics! Always gives me such great ideas!

• Reply nathalie May 29, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I feel drawn to this book, maybe it is the words “natural” and “home”, the calming tones … I feel so curious about all the many interesting details we can see in the photos, thank you Holly for this review :)

• Reply Alexandra May 29, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Oh wow. This book is going to on my birthday wish list!

• Reply Ría May 30, 2012 at 11:24 pm

I love the flower wallpaper from the last picture.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang May 31, 2012 at 7:22 am

I just love that you introduce me to so many new people!

• Reply Folksy June 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

This book looks like a MUST! Thanks for the great review.

• Reply Kat June 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I hadn’t heard of this, definately going to see if I can get a copy from the library. Sometimes they have the latest interior books. They have Decorate!
    And I like the collection of plates on the wall in the last image.
    Luv kat x

• Reply g. June 26, 2012 at 7:04 pm

This is such a lovely book! I can’t stop read it every day!