The Natural Home by Stylist & Author Hans Blomquist

I currently have a crush on stylist and author Hans Blomquist and wanted to drop in for a moment to give his work a shout out and point you over to his book, The Natural Home, published by Ryland Peters & Small in London. Hans is a stylist after my own heart, giving rooms a very casual lived-in touch with heart. Nothing in his new book looks overly styled or fussed with and I admire that.

The Natural Home

I own a few of the books that he has directed and styled for IKEA, but The Natural Home is unique in that it is his vision from cover-to-cover and is completely independent of IKEA so he was able to really go for it and scout spaces for the book that spoke to his aesthetic AND he didn’t have to worry about including specific products so he used what was in people’s homes to tweak as he worked. There are so many beautiful photos in this book which was photographed by Debi Treloar whom I’ve worked with on two books.  I can really see Debi working with Hans more in the future, they seem to really click – you can always tell that about a book I think – the relationship between the stylist and the photographer. Debi told me that Hans would deliberately mess things up when styling for a shot – and from what I can see in his book, he did a brilliant job doing that — the wrong somehow looks very, very right when done by his expert hand.

The Natural Home

The Natural Home

The Natural Home

The Natural Home

The Natural Home

From Amazon, “The Natural Home is a place where natural materials and motifs are the key elements of a decorating style that is a joy to live with and a joy to behold. Influential art director and stylist Hans Blomquist starts off by exploring the essence of his style. In Texture, he revels in the textures and patinas of natural materials. Still Life reveals Hans’ passion for creating displays that showcase treasured pieces, while Plants and Flowers celebrates the beauty of nature and the cycles of the natural world. Color presents his favorite earthy, natural color palette, which provides the perfect backdrop for hits of brighter natural hues. In the second part of the book, Homes, through a series of case studies, Hans explores houses and apartments that showcase the beautiful simplicity and elegance of the natural look.” As a bit of a bonus, I’ve included some photos from his portfolio below so you can see his other work…, Hans is represented by Agent Bauer and you can find more information about him here.

Hans Blomquist
Hans Blomquist

Bottom line… If you love the idea of living naturally in a relaxed environment filled with vintage finds, texture, industrial touches, old meets new and natural earthy colors you will adore The Natural Home. It’s stunning and a current fave of mine!

(images: top 6: holly becker, all the rest: portfolio of hans blomquist )

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on May 27, 2012

1. Jem commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 3:10pm

Thank you for the recommend, Holly. May have to check this out!
    Jem´s last blog post ..Plunder

2. the upholstress commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 4:19pm

have ordered a copy……thanks for posting

3. rowena commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 4:51pm

I’ve seen lots of his work before but didn’t know it was all his. I think I really love this Hans Blomquist.

4. Chez chouke commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 5:01pm

I would love to live in all of those pictures….oh my! Thanks for sharing!

5. MndM commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 5:42pm

your blog is very nice! very… american!! i lov it ! i’m french.
    MndM´s last blog post ..L’été est déjà dans vos assiettes !

6. Igor commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 5:46pm

Thanks for this cool book review. Sounds like I would really love it, too. Love lived-in places that do not look like showrooms. After all, I want inspiration for a home not for a store! Thanks Holly!
    Igor´s last blog post ..Ideas For A Happy Weekend

7. Vicki commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 6:51pm

Must buy this book, it’ll be good company for my much-thumbed copy of Decorate. V x
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Another Lovely Wedding Digizine

8. tinajo commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 7:00pm

Great sense of style, never too much! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Vadstena – part one!

9. Tracy A. commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 8:01pm

I absolutely love the photos that you have shared from Hans’ book – just lovely. I am inspired by them and know that his book will have to be on my bookshelf!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post ..Pinternalysis: The process by which one analyzes specific aspects of one’s life through the use of Pinterest boards.

10. Cathy Turley commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 10:04pm

Thanks for sharing about Hans. I love his look.

I just had a glance at his website. I absolutely love the image he did for Ikea with the geese (?)… If you haven’t seen it, a stuffed/paper-mache goose or swan is standing on the table with wings fully extended. Another bird is on the mantle. The light is lavender. There are 2 helium balloons and shiny ornaments hang from the ceiling. It looks magical.

Here’s the link… http://web.me.com/hansblomquist/Webbplats/IKEA_JUL_MA.html
    Cathy Turley´s last blog post ..Flower Delivery

11. Bouboulette commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 10:30pm

Nice pics !

12. caroline @trend-daily commented
    May 27th, 2012 at 11:00pm

I adore his work and the book looks so wonderful-I have it on order and now can’t wait to receive it! Lovely review.
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..A Visit To….

13. Jules commented
    May 28th, 2012 at 4:51am

I’m going to check this book out. I can’t resist a collected, professorial home with natural elements. My home is on its way to looking that way, and I love it!
    Jules´s last blog post ..Happy, Happy

14. Alejandra Zuluaga commented
    May 28th, 2012 at 2:42pm

I love the old meets new vibe, totally into it.
    I feel most of what inspires me comes from this idea, and this images are giving me a new perspective on what I can get done.
    Thank you for sharing it!

15. Gizem commented
    May 28th, 2012 at 4:04pm

Beautiful interior work. I appreciate his style where he uses warm colours and nostalgic/classic aesthetics from our romanticised dream home into his works. I would say some are rather whimsical for my liking, but I think it sort of represents the NATURAL HOME look. I also like the retro approach in his designs.

16. millepertuis commented
    May 28th, 2012 at 4:15pm

I adore his work, so I’m going to check this book out. Nice pics and Thanks for sharing, I like your blog!
    millepertuis´s last blog post ..Millepertuis

17. Cathy commented
    May 29th, 2012 at 7:23am

Love the shelving and living room furniture pics! Always gives me such great ideas!

18. nathalie commented
    May 29th, 2012 at 3:41pm

I feel drawn to this book, maybe it is the words “natural” and “home”, the calming tones … I feel so curious about all the many interesting details we can see in the photos, thank you Holly for this review :)
    nathalie´s last blog post ..un automne à Amsterdam

19. Alexandra commented
    May 29th, 2012 at 4:12pm

Oh wow. This book is going to on my birthday wish list!
    Alexandra´s last blog post ..cozy blue hour

20. Ría commented
    May 30th, 2012 at 11:24pm

I love the flower wallpaper from the last picture.

21. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    May 31st, 2012 at 7:22am

I just love that you introduce me to so many new people!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Sweet Baby J…

22. Folksy commented
    June 1st, 2012 at 11:01am

This book looks like a MUST! Thanks for the great review.

23. Kat commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 9:13pm

I hadn’t heard of this, definately going to see if I can get a copy from the library. Sometimes they have the latest interior books. They have Decorate!
    And I like the collection of plates on the wall in the last image.
    Luv kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..#9ofpride on Instagram, part 3

24. g. commented
    June 26th, 2012 at 7:04pm

This is such a lovely book! I can’t stop read it every day!