South African Design at West Elm

I love that West Elm has partnered with Elle Décor magazine to bring South African design to America with sixteen lovely collaborations with artists and designers who live and work there. I love this! You can catch a peek here of the collection – everything is simply divine.

West Elm

west elm

I particularly love the elephant lamp by Shirley Fintz and the ceramics from Gemma Orkin who describes her style as, “Happy and uncomplicated.” So, so pretty, right???

West Elm

west elm

West Elm

west elm

west elm

west elm

What do you think of these gorgeous, colorful designs? I am smitten!

(images: west elm)

Posted by decor8 in shopping on June 07, 2012

1. Natasha Fatah commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 1:27am

We have those little elephants at home! :)
    xoxo
    Natasha

2. Igor commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 1:50am

I love the ceramics, so happy and vibrant!!!
    Igor´s last blog post ..5 Happy Inspirations: Eye-Catcher

3. Kari McIntosh commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:19am

Amazing. I brought home a ceramic giraffe from Shirley 4 years ago. I cherish it still.
    Kari McIntosh´s last blog post ..French Countryside Bebe Fete

4. Alia Chambers commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:27am

Love this! Always been a fan of west elm…love this collab.

5. Chrystina commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:55am

Oh wow, now I’m going to have even more things to buy from West Elm.
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..a beautiful card from virginia

6. julie @ tractorgirl commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 3:27am

holey moley I WANT those patterned plates & cups from Potters Workshop!!
    Colour and pattern ~ two of my most favourite things :)
    julie @ tractorgirl´s last blog post ..Food : Grandma’s beetroot patties

7. Sandra commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 4:14am

I was lucky enough to live in South Africa for two years and brought home lots of furniture. The chairs with the riempies (leather straps) are iconic in southern Africa. Makes me homesick for my second home!

Congrats to West Elm for promoting South African design!
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Photographers Who Inspire – Kasper Tuxen

8. Cynthia commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 4:49am

funny, was just blogging bout the same thing. Love West elm.

9. S & H commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 6:54am

Gotta love it!
    Have a nice day!

Greetings from Norway!
    S & H´s last blog post ..Bildevegg= FERDIG!!

10. Amberly @ The Good Life commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 8:44am

That elephant lamp is too cool! Way to go West Elm – such a wonderful idea!
    Amberly @ The Good Life´s last blog post ..DIY: Herb Wall in the Kitchen

11. Nicole commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 8:56am

The lamp is fantastic! Love the ceramics! Absolutly pretty! Thank you for sharing, Holly!
    Nicole´s last blog post ..Kitchen Queen

12. Eva commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:04pm

I too am smitten with them. I adore the texture on the plates from Gemma along with the color palette ~ pretty, pretty! The rug in the dining room picture also has me drooling, but those hardwood floors under it are taking my breath away!

13. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:33pm

I’m loving West Elm’s collaborations! I am in love with the elephant lamp! I really don’t need any more elephants at home, but I might have space for that lamp!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..From Fresh Prince to Legend: Will Smith.

14. Yemi@baby Nursery ideas commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 2:36pm

Love the ceramics. The colours are bright and bold. Thanks for sharing
    Yemi@baby Nursery ideas´s last blog post ..Unique Ideas for Baby’s & Kids to celebrate the Queen’s Jubilee

15. Julie commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 4:49pm

Oh My Gosh! I love everything on here! I have a few African pieces, but now I have to have more!

Julie

16. Megan commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 5:14pm

I live in Cape Town, South Africa, and Gemma Orkin’s ceramic bird plate series decorates an entire wall of my local coffee shop… a beautiful space to enjoy a latte!
    Very proud to see our local talent being recognised abroad!
    thank you for sharing this, Holly. xo
    Megan´s last blog post ..Snap! #13

17. Aleta commented
    June 7th, 2012 at 6:20pm

Any idea where to get that last white desk with the cool legs? When I search the West Elm website it doesn’t come up. Thanks!!

18. Linsi commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 1:19am

I love theses accessories!
    Linsi´s last blog post ..Breathing Down Your Own Neck

19. Sukaina commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 7:18am

I grew up in Tanzania (East Africa) and am very pleased to see fellow African artists gettign the recognition they deserve. So much talent here. The elephant lamp is my fave too.
    Sukaina´s last blog post ..Creamy Pea and Mint Spaghetti

20. kalanicut commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 9:27am

Oh I just have the biggest smile on my face after looking at this post, Holly. So gorgeous. I learned from a smart woman named Holly Becker to take the time to really look at design that touches us and find out what exactly it is that gets us so excited. I am going to do that right now. Thank you for this post that gave me goosebumps!
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..A Course In Self Care

21. Toni-Skandivis commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 9:41am

The South African design scene ROCKS! Married to a South African I’ve been coming to Cape Town for the past 24 years, and have seen huge chance during the past 5 years South African and Cape Town in particular is now cutting edge and very exciting! If you haven’t been there Holly I would suggest you go and check it out! You will love it!

22. Cathy commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 11:26am

Thank you Holly for showcasing the amazing design talent coming out of South Africa – my home!! I was recently in a “Mud” shop in a small country town and saw a few of the spectacular chandeliers that you covet – made me think of you and, having now seen them close-up, I realise why you want one!! (and I had to explain why they are so expensive to my husband – the amount of craftsmanship going into them is astounding!!)

23. Natalie commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 11:44am

I love this it is sooo pretty. Proud to be a South African.

24. shabby chic decor commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 3:31pm

My husband is South African so we have a lot of unique art and artifacts in our home. I love to see west elm branching out and showcasing unique patterns, textures and and colour combinations from artist.
    Love!

P.s Those ceramic plates are beautiful! I want one of each!
    shabby chic decor´s last blog post ..Office Reno – King Street

25. Rachel May commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 5:38pm

I like that this gives the pieces more of a story behind them, and I’m a big fan of the collaboration. I think they do a lot with 20 x 200 as well.

And those furniture pieces that are paint dipped with bare feet? Wow.
    Rachel May´s last blog post ..Things to Check Out Online & Off

26. Robert commented
    June 8th, 2012 at 10:00pm

I love those chairs!

27. Joanna commented
    June 9th, 2012 at 6:42pm

I love their products and the ethnic character. It’s so good to see so many smaller designers emerging from different parts of the world. Inspiration just keeps coming.
    Joanna´s last blog post ..Introducing: Jaime Hayon

28. The Cupcake Lady commented
    June 10th, 2012 at 1:02am

Loads of inspiration! I love the little elephants.

29. Vicki commented
    June 10th, 2012 at 4:28pm

So pleased to see you celebrating South African style Holly. I have a Gemma Orkin vessel next to my bed that is crammed with pens – i love its irregularity. We have so many talented here in SA and it’s great to have companies like West Elm appreciate them too. V x
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Another Lovely Wedding Digizine

30. sy commented
    June 10th, 2012 at 9:56pm

these are really cool, love the ceramics.

31. itziar commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 7:24am

I know why i love so much this blog
    Thanks for sharing this!

32. Susan Corner commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 8:23pm

Hurrah! I’m proudly South African and so excited to see how our design is slowly infiltrating the rest of the world. For two long we relied on design influences coming into the country; SA designers have matured and, with the confidence gained, now realise that they can stand tall amongst their international peers.

33. Susan Corner commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 8:24pm

Oops… TOO

34. Shannon commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 9:08pm

Beautiful, very organic, earthy. Thanks for sharing!

35. Nicole commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 10:19pm

Gorgeous! These spreads are so beautiful! Thanks for sharing this great mash up of design.

36. Sarah {Lacquer and Linen} commented
    June 11th, 2012 at 11:57pm

This collaboration is fantastic! I especially love the white klismos chairs and the Gemma Orkin ceramics. There are so many lovely South African artists and designers, its awesome to see them recognized by West Elm.

37. Yeshen commented
    June 12th, 2012 at 2:11pm

Good stuff, earthy tones all round. the fabrics have a cozy feel and the colourful ceramics are great.

38. Rin Simpson commented
    June 12th, 2012 at 2:28pm

Fantastic, glad to see my home country being so well promoted :)
    Rin Simpson´s last blog post ..Welcome to my world…

39. hena tayeb commented
    June 12th, 2012 at 8:49pm

gorgeous items.. i can’t decide what I love more.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Washington DC

40. Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com commented
    June 12th, 2012 at 9:58pm

The Potter Ware dishes? Gorgeous! Those colors are just so vivid, and the patterns could make even the simplest of foods look gourmet. I. Want.
    Katie B. of HousewifeHowTos.com´s last blog post ..How To Clean and Maintain Your Vacuum Cleaner

41. JennyLynn commented
    June 13th, 2012 at 2:56am

The red bench is so amazing. Great designs!

42. deneise bucko commented
    June 13th, 2012 at 6:23am

I do love me some West Elm!

43. Jessica @shimmerkai commented
    June 13th, 2012 at 4:36pm

Lovely plates. Perfect for summer!
    Jessica @shimmerkai´s last blog post ..Anchor Father’s Day Card + DIY Gifts

44. Jennifer commented
    June 13th, 2012 at 8:35pm

I love all the plates mixed and matched together.
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Teal and White Polka Dot Bib Necklace by jenndubs

45. Catherine (thepinkdoormat) commented
    June 14th, 2012 at 11:41am

These items are so gorgeous! I specially love the plates, the colors just pop and the patterns are beautiful. Love it!

46. Jamie Herzlinger commented
    June 14th, 2012 at 9:20pm

I absolutely adore west elm…the seem to always get it right!!

Love,

Jamie Herzlinger

47. Carly commented
    June 15th, 2012 at 6:15am

Love the whimsy!!! So cute and fun!
    Carly´s last blog post ..It’s My Spirituality, Not Your Spirituality

48. Rebekah commented
    June 15th, 2012 at 10:14pm

Just lovely! We spent a year in South Africa and I love this modern twist on traditional African patterns and ideas.
    Rebekah´s last blog post ..Modern Wood Fence

49. Sam Lennie commented
    June 18th, 2012 at 11:16pm

The bright red bench seat is beautiful, that would look lovely on my slate grey veranda :-0

50. Kirstey commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 3:57pm

Its so exciting for us South Africans who are in the States! can’t wait to get my hands on some of these – especially the kudu table lamp. Gorgeous! Well done, West Elm :)

51. decoguy commented
    June 28th, 2012 at 3:45am

these are beautiful! they have got to be my favourite by far!
    i love the detail in each craft =)

52. Esther commented
    July 11th, 2012 at 3:40pm

Oh, this is lovely. I just love the ceramics and the white chairs. {heart}
    Esther.
    Esther´s last blog post ..Tote bag in fuchsia with leather straps

53. Charlene commented
    January 10th, 2013 at 9:01am

So proud that my home town and the amazing designers that we have here are being celebrated internationally! Thanks West Elm! Thanks Holly, x

54. clayshapes pottery commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 4:41pm

Love the ceramics!
    clayshapes pottery´s last blog post ..Ocean pendant, ceramic pendant by Clayshapes