Decorating Tips, DIY

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

June 19, 2012

I love how changing 3 things in a room can make such a big difference – yeah, just THREE. An American friend of mine, Tina Fussell from the Traveling Mama blog, is now living up in Denmark and loves to do DIY projects and to decorate on a budget. Recently she wrote in with three quick changes that she made to her living room that I think made a pretty big impact — all for under $100!
Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

BEFORE (below)

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

AFTER (below)

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

“This cabinet was just washed out and too country for our home here in Denmark. This was one of the few pieces I brought from the States, so I was in a near panic about painting it because it was going to be hard to replace a solid wood piece, but I love the result! I’m so glad I didn’t let fear stand in the way!”

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

Before (above)
Tina also decided to change up something else in the space, “I didn’t like all the little things on the side tables in our living room and it just didn’t feel pulled together.” So this is what she did…

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

After (below), “By pulling the tables to the center, we have a place to prop up our feet, but also somewhere my little guys can race their cars!” But that’s not all, Tina decided to change another element in the room…

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

Before (below),”This wall just felt a bit blank and out of place. The chair was too big for this room and couldn’t recline the way it was suppose to. The table was full of too many little messy things…”

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

After (below),”I created a new piece of art and exchanged the chair for one that was a better scale. Shopping in my own home, buying a can of paint and a canvas, and moving things about gave me a mini room makeover for less than $100!”

Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

What a great job Tina, thank you for sharing this! What a difference shopping at home and a fresh can of paint can make!

(images: tina fussell)

You Might Also Like

41 Comments

• Reply Tina Ramchandani June 19, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Fabulous job. Painting makes a huge difference and even I am scared of it sometimes because it seems like such a large task. I really like the self made art, too.

• Reply desiree - vosgesparis June 19, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Great new cupboard she made out of the wooden piece!

• Reply Mariela June 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Amazing job! everything look perfect. Thanks for sharing, have a lovely day! xo

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} June 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I love simple home and room makeovers! The power of paint!! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply juliemarg June 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Nice colors. great decoration, looks clean…

• Reply Juliette June 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Tina is always just full of good ideas! Nice feature!

• Reply Heather June 19, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Love it! Her great ideas make me want to rush home and give my own living room a boost!

• Reply Monika June 19, 2012 at 4:59 pm

sometimes small budget push your imagination further and you get better results, it can be to easy to spent thousands and always get what you want
    more limits gets limitless imagination working …
    thanks for sharing

• Reply Andreia June 19, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Tina has done a dreat job, I specially love the new cabinet and the canvas!

• Reply Dear Demoiselle June 19, 2012 at 5:14 pm

The cabinet turned out fabulous!!! This style was all the rage during the -80s and -90s here in Norway, but everybody tired of it and has gotten rid of it now. Norwegians are great at 1) buying new or 2) painting white… I love how this shows an alternative.

• Reply kalanicut June 19, 2012 at 5:30 pm

It’s amazing what a few changes can do to completely change the view. It’s amazing how much more the architecture of the sofa stands out with the tables moved from sides to front. Love the new artwork and the painted cabinet is gorgeous. Well done, Tina!

• Reply Nuit June 19, 2012 at 6:29 pm

this is amazing! thanks :)

• Reply tinajo June 19, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I love tranforming things with paint! :-)

• Reply Nicole June 19, 2012 at 8:40 pm

A wonderful change! I love the color of the cabinet, fresh, clear but cosy. The idea with the flowers and pictures on top of it is great! The cabinet looks not as massive, has something light and casual. More PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS on the sofa! Oh, I can never get enough of changes, with textiles and paint, such an fantastic and easy way! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply frank June 19, 2012 at 9:18 pm

What a lovely change. I think the color you chose is perfect for the room! I love the charcol grey color….which brand of paint did you use and the name of the paint?

• Reply eskimo*rose June 19, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I especially love the wardrobe, I’m always cautious about painting over wood, but this has proven to me not to be such a wimp!

• Reply The Cupcake Lady June 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Great tips for creating a whole new look without blowing the budget.

• Reply PennyJ June 20, 2012 at 12:02 am

Oh my gosh – they made a beautiful difference!

• Reply Rin Simpson June 20, 2012 at 12:16 am

Fantastic! I particularly love the wardrobe. I just did an Annie Sloan painting course (all about upcycling furniture) and it was a revelation. I’ll definitely be giving my old pine furniture a make over soon.

• Reply dervla @ The Curator June 20, 2012 at 2:20 am

wow that cabinet turned out amazing. I would have passed that light wooden color right by but the dark green really gives it a punch.

• Reply Pink Ronnie June 20, 2012 at 3:00 am

That cabinet looks amazing post paint job. Great shade of grey she chose!
    Ronnie xo

• Reply Jaclyn June 20, 2012 at 3:34 am

amazing what paint can do to transform a new room, love the under $100 theme Holly!

• Reply Desha Peacock June 20, 2012 at 4:57 am

Well done Traveling Mama! I like the dark grey much better than the wood. Very pretty home. Thanks for sharing, Holly~

• Reply Kathryn@TikiBoo June 20, 2012 at 6:01 am

I love the paint job on the wardrobe, it is a huge improvement and a fantastic colour.

• Reply Tracy A. June 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I just love the color of the cabinet. I do like natural wood – but I have recently been taken with when it has been painted – so versatile!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente June 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Love this gal & love her redo! That cabinet is beautiful and I love the quick easy changes she made. Shopping in your own home & some cans of paint make me happy every time! :)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Melissa@Julia's Bookbag June 20, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I adore Tina’s site and it’s so lovely to see her beautiful home featured here!

• Reply Bonnie McCarthy June 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I love that little changes can make such a big difference! What a pretty home!

• Reply sandra lund June 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Tina’s home is so beautiful. I love her styling.

• Reply Patti Trostle June 21, 2012 at 12:17 am

Love the changes. I am a fan of clean lines..love the “afters”!

• Reply Anastasia June 21, 2012 at 2:40 am

Yes, I love what Tina has done with this one piece of furniture!! Looks amazing!
    The whole room is really great – the combining of the two Ikea (cheap) square tables is perfect, I might have to steal that idea!

• Reply Chrystina June 21, 2012 at 6:05 am

Great tips. I’m moving into a new place soon – and the cheaper the better. It still blows my mind how painting/refinishing a piece of furntiture can make such a difference!!

• Reply Jürgen June 21, 2012 at 9:57 am

Grey are for this furniture the perfect color. Thank you for the pictures

• Reply caroline @trend-daily June 22, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Gorgeous, clever Tina! I LOVE the grey cupboard. The best changes don’t have to be the most expensive-wonderful! C :-)

• Reply Kat June 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

Loved this post Holly, Tina has a wonderful eye!
    And I think her cushion collection is just the best!
    It’s really useful to see the before and after, rather than
    just an end result. I too would’ve been nervous to go so dark on the paint for the wardrobe but Gosh it so works – makes an impact and ties the room together.
    I also like the tables brought to the forefront and the little area with the wicker chair. A few tweaks and it’s brought the interior up so many notches!
    Beautiful home Tina!
    Love Kat x

• Reply Justine July 4, 2012 at 11:05 pm

It’s amazing. I should take more time and think about paintint instead of buying new stuff.

• Reply Mark E Tisdale July 7, 2012 at 2:17 am

Wow, the difference in that cabinet is huge. Normally prefer natural wood, but it looks much better painted.

Never underestimate a quart of paint!

• Reply Kelly July 9, 2012 at 5:28 am

Thanks for the inspiration. The charcoal cupboard is just stunning. What a transformation. You’ve given me the confidence to paint our dated bedroom furniture.

• Reply Anja July 22, 2012 at 11:24 am

Love love love the color of the cabinet! I think many times we are too afraid of choosing dark colors – even though they really leave a great impact in a room! Before painting my dining room grey, I had thought about it for a long time and everyone was like “No, that’s too dark” – but today I love it! -Anja

• Reply Ericafpc (Erica Cottrill) December 7, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Love the fact that furniture can be art. Great ideas Holly!

• Reply Jo July 5, 2014 at 9:49 am

Love the paint colour. What shade and brand is it?