Living Room Decorating Ideas Under $100!

I love how changing 3 things in a room can make such a big difference – yeah, just THREE. An American friend of mine, Tina Fussell from the Traveling Mama blog, is now living up in Denmark and loves to do DIY projects and to decorate on a budget. Recently she wrote in with three quick changes that she made to her living room that I think made a pretty big impact — all for under $100!
Decorating Ideas

BEFORE (below)

Decorating Ideas

AFTER (below)

Decorating Ideas

“This cabinet was just washed out and too country for our home here in Denmark. This was one of the few pieces I brought from the States, so I was in a near panic about painting it because it was going to be hard to replace a solid wood piece, but I love the result! I’m so glad I didn’t let fear stand in the way!”

Decorating Ideas

Before (above)
Tina also decided to change up something else in the space, “I didn’t like all the little things on the side tables in our living room and it just didn’t feel pulled together.” So this is what she did…

Decorating Ideas

After (below), “By pulling the tables to the center, we have a place to prop up our feet, but also somewhere my little guys can race their cars!” But that’s not all, Tina decided to change another element in the room…

Decorating Ideas

Before (below),”This wall just felt a bit blank and out of place. The chair was too big for this room and couldn’t recline the way it was suppose to. The table was full of too many little messy things…”

Decorating Ideas

After (below),”I created a new piece of art and exchanged the chair for one that was a better scale. Shopping in my own home, buying a can of paint and a canvas, and moving things about gave me a mini room makeover for less than $100!”

Decorating Ideas

What a great job Tina, thank you for sharing this! What a difference shopping at home and a fresh can of paint can make!

(images: tina fussell)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, diy on June 19, 2012

1. Tina Ramchandani commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 3:44pm

Fabulous job. Painting makes a huge difference and even I am scared of it sometimes because it seems like such a large task. I really like the self made art, too.
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Snapshots of my Home Office

2. desiree - vosgesparis commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 3:48pm

Great new cupboard she made out of the wooden piece!
    desiree – vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Lets talk Concrete and Stone!

3. Mariela commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 3:59pm

Amazing job! everything look perfect. Thanks for sharing, have a lovely day! xo

4. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 4:20pm

I love simple home and room makeovers! The power of paint!! Thanks for sharing!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..A chat with Sylvia Day, author of Bared to You. (Podcast + transcript.)

5. juliemarg commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 4:20pm

Nice colors. great decoration, looks clean…
    juliemarg´s last blog post ..a cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and…

6. Juliette commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 4:28pm

Tina is always just full of good ideas! Nice feature!

7. Heather commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 4:51pm

Love it! Her great ideas make me want to rush home and give my own living room a boost!
    Heather´s last blog post ..What summer looks like…

8. Monika commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 4:59pm

sometimes small budget push your imagination further and you get better results, it can be to easy to spent thousands and always get what you want
    more limits gets limitless imagination working …
    thanks for sharing
    Monika´s last blog post ..the Bluecoat

9. Andreia commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 5:02pm

Tina has done a dreat job, I specially love the new cabinet and the canvas!

10. Dear Demoiselle commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 5:14pm

The cabinet turned out fabulous!!! This style was all the rage during the -80s and -90s here in Norway, but everybody tired of it and has gotten rid of it now. Norwegians are great at 1) buying new or 2) painting white… I love how this shows an alternative.
    Dear Demoiselle´s last blog post ..Almost summer

11. kalanicut commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 5:30pm

It’s amazing what a few changes can do to completely change the view. It’s amazing how much more the architecture of the sofa stands out with the tables moved from sides to front. Love the new artwork and the painted cabinet is gorgeous. Well done, Tina!
    kalanicut´s last blog post ..Totally Loving Tote Bags

12. Nuit commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 6:29pm

this is amazing! thanks :)
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Seriously amazing small kitchens

13. tinajo commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 8:30pm

I love tranforming things with paint! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..The garden is thriving – and so is my soul!

14. Nicole commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 8:40pm

A wonderful change! I love the color of the cabinet, fresh, clear but cosy. The idea with the flowers and pictures on top of it is great! The cabinet looks not as massive, has something light and casual. More PILLOWS PILLOWS PILLOWS on the sofa! Oh, I can never get enough of changes, with textiles and paint, such an fantastic and easy way! Thank you for sharing!
    Nicole´s last blog post ..Papierladen

15. frank commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 9:18pm

What a lovely change. I think the color you chose is perfect for the room! I love the charcol grey color….which brand of paint did you use and the name of the paint?

16. eskimo*rose commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 9:53pm

I especially love the wardrobe, I’m always cautious about painting over wood, but this has proven to me not to be such a wimp!

17. The Cupcake Lady commented
    June 19th, 2012 at 11:20pm

Great tips for creating a whole new look without blowing the budget.

18. PennyJ commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:02am

Oh my gosh – they made a beautiful difference!

19. Rin Simpson commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 12:16am

Fantastic! I particularly love the wardrobe. I just did an Annie Sloan painting course (all about upcycling furniture) and it was a revelation. I’ll definitely be giving my old pine furniture a make over soon.
    Rin Simpson´s last blog post ..Art at Paintworks

20. dervla @ The Curator commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 2:20am

wow that cabinet turned out amazing. I would have passed that light wooden color right by but the dark green really gives it a punch.

21. Pink Ronnie commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 3:00am

That cabinet looks amazing post paint job. Great shade of grey she chose!
    Ronnie xo
    Pink Ronnie´s last blog post ..On the kiddo table, part 2

22. Jaclyn commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 3:34am

amazing what paint can do to transform a new room, love the under $100 theme Holly!

23. Desha Peacock commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 4:57am

Well done Traveling Mama! I like the dark grey much better than the wood. Very pretty home. Thanks for sharing, Holly~
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..Dear Vermont

24. Kathryn@TikiBoo commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 6:01am

I love the paint job on the wardrobe, it is a huge improvement and a fantastic colour.

25. Tracy A. commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 2:32pm

I just love the color of the cabinet. I do like natural wood – but I have recently been taken with when it has been painted – so versatile!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post .."One dip in the ocean – and seawater, from still wet hands and knees, seeps into the pages." ~ Editorial, The New York Times

26. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 4:25pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Love this gal & love her redo! That cabinet is beautiful and I love the quick easy changes she made. Shopping in your own home & some cans of paint make me happy every time! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

27. Melissa@Julia's Bookbag commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 4:42pm

I adore Tina’s site and it’s so lovely to see her beautiful home featured here!
    Melissa@Julia’s Bookbag´s last blog post ..We Made a Castle

28. Bonnie McCarthy commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 7:38pm

I love that little changes can make such a big difference! What a pretty home!
    Bonnie McCarthy´s last blog post ..Cherry Picking!

29. sandra lund commented
    June 20th, 2012 at 8:18pm

Tina’s home is so beautiful. I love her styling.
    sandra lund´s last blog post ..Lovage Love

30. Patti Trostle commented
    June 21st, 2012 at 12:17am

Love the changes. I am a fan of clean lines..love the “afters”!

31. Anastasia commented
    June 21st, 2012 at 2:40am

Yes, I love what Tina has done with this one piece of furniture!! Looks amazing!
    The whole room is really great – the combining of the two Ikea (cheap) square tables is perfect, I might have to steal that idea!

32. Chrystina commented
    June 21st, 2012 at 6:05am

Great tips. I’m moving into a new place soon – and the cheaper the better. It still blows my mind how painting/refinishing a piece of furntiture can make such a difference!!
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..I’m (almost) over my salad fear, how to make salads at a salad bar

33. Jürgen commented
    June 21st, 2012 at 9:57am

Grey are for this furniture the perfect color. Thank you for the pictures
    Jürgen´s last blog post ..Elizabeth Siddal: Mujer, poeta, pintora y musa./// Elizabeth Siddal: Frau, Dichterin, Malerin und Muse./// Elizabeth Siddal: Woman, poet, painter and muse.

34. caroline @trend-daily commented
    June 22nd, 2012 at 11:30pm

Gorgeous, clever Tina! I LOVE the grey cupboard. The best changes don’t have to be the most expensive-wonderful! C :-)
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Before and After

35. Kat commented
    June 25th, 2012 at 12:26am

Loved this post Holly, Tina has a wonderful eye!
    And I think her cushion collection is just the best!
    It’s really useful to see the before and after, rather than
    just an end result. I too would’ve been nervous to go so dark on the paint for the wardrobe but Gosh it so works – makes an impact and ties the room together.
    I also like the tables brought to the forefront and the little area with the wicker chair. A few tweaks and it’s brought the interior up so many notches!
    Beautiful home Tina!
    Love Kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..Enchanted wood – only kindness matters

36. Justine commented
    July 4th, 2012 at 11:05pm

It’s amazing. I should take more time and think about paintint instead of buying new stuff.

37. Mark E Tisdale commented
    July 7th, 2012 at 2:17am

Wow, the difference in that cabinet is huge. Normally prefer natural wood, but it looks much better painted.

Never underestimate a quart of paint!

38. Kelly commented
    July 9th, 2012 at 5:28am

Thanks for the inspiration. The charcoal cupboard is just stunning. What a transformation. You’ve given me the confidence to paint our dated bedroom furniture.

39. Anja commented
    July 22nd, 2012 at 11:24am

Love love love the color of the cabinet! I think many times we are too afraid of choosing dark colors – even though they really leave a great impact in a room! Before painting my dining room grey, I had thought about it for a long time and everyone was like “No, that’s too dark” – but today I love it! -Anja
    Anja´s last blog post ..The Liebster Blog award

40. Ericafpc (Erica Cottrill) commented
    December 7th, 2012 at 8:33pm

Love the fact that furniture can be art. Great ideas Holly!

41. Jo commented
    July 5th, 2014 at 9:49am

Love the paint colour. What shade and brand is it?