Playing With Food: Something Red

Hello decor8 readers! It’s me, Emilie, and I’m here to post a little something red for you for my Playing With Food column… A few months ago, I went down to the south of France to the home of my grandparents. They live near the sea Méditteranée, in a region called l’Herault. There, the sun shines almost all year, the weather is warm, the sky is often blue, and the village is surrounded by fields and vineyards. It’s so nice!

Playing with Food

Going for a walk, we came across a field that was so special as it was a vast field of poppies! Like red paint in the fields, it was magical! The wind blew the flowers and a kind of red wave was rippling in the wind, just amazing!

Playing with Food

I stopped for a moment, and the next day I returned with a wicker basket. We sat near the fields, we had cookies (shortbread specific region) with strawberries that I had prepared the day before by marinating them in a mixture of thyme and sugar, and we took the time to snack while enjoying the beautiful poppy fields.

Playing with Food

Playing with Food

Playing with Food

Playing with Food

This visit gave me a new idea for my column on decor8, Playing with Food! Why not occasionally include some articles with colors that inspire me? So I searched red food ideas to add to the theme.

I picked cherries from the garden and I made small meringues, accompanied by a chocolate mousse and a cherry. I also picked a lot of raspberries (it’s finally summer, there are plenty in the garden! YUMMY!), made tarts, and then I ended up with a few cupcakes with red cream icing, of course!

Playing with Food

All this reminds me of this pretty poppy fields, the one who made me realize that summer was finally here! What color is inspiring you lately? Any colors that you have noticed popping up often in your dishes at home that you’re preparing lately?

(images: emilie griottes)

Posted by decor8 in Playing With Food on July 16, 2012

1. madame love commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:42pm

Super Emilie! j’adore tes photos et tes mises en scène sur fond de Liberty!
    madame love´s last blog post ..lika a dutch painting

2. Sukaina commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:42pm

I am currently inspired byt the crimson and dusky hues of plums- lots of varieties on the market and they’re adding a little color to my kitchen. Lovely post as always Emilie.
    Sukaina´s last blog post ..Plum Cakes with Coconut and Hazelnut Crumble

3. Judith commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:52pm

Beautiful! Poppies are my favorites. I used some fake ones in my wedding bouquet… so pretty! Merci Emilie!
    Judith´s last blog post ..La Galerie Végétale

4. Knit Spirit commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 12:53pm

Gorgeous pictures, as usual!
    Knit Spirit´s last blog post ..La Semaine de la Laine arrive en France

5. argone commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 1:05pm

I did a lemon sorbet photo shoot and was inspired by the lemons’bright yellow color. It was fun to try to find the right fabric to match with it, and style the whole thing.

6. muscade commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 1:20pm

Red a wonderful summer colour! Raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes… Beautiful pictures as usual!

7. Tina Ramchandani commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 1:50pm

Very pretty. The red fields look so peaceful and the food looks delicious!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..King’s Cube – a 16 square foot apartment in Hong Kong

8. Petit Pastel commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 3:28pm

Emilie, beautiful pictures! I also love cakes and tarts with red fruits – cherries or raspberries :) Greetings!
    Petit Pastel´s last blog post ..Wakacje w pełni. Czereśnie

9. Sue Schlabach commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 9:32pm

The raspberry photo, in particular, is sublime. And only a few weeks until raspberry picking time. Great post.
    Sue Schlabach´s last blog post ..Dachshunds on Parade

10. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    July 16th, 2012 at 11:50pm

Beautiful! Thank you for such a sweet and colorful post today! It brightened my afternoon.
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Girl’s Night Out, #Applebees and a Giveaway

11. Audrey - This Little Street commented
    July 17th, 2012 at 5:03am

Oh yes, red definitely! These are gorgeous, Emilie. And yellow. It’s lemon this and lemon that – I just love how refreshing lemon is in the summer. I could (do) eat lemon curd by the spoonful :)
    Audrey – This Little Street´s last blog post ..Wood you rather…

12. Bouboulette commented
    July 17th, 2012 at 7:58am

Love that color !! Pics are beautiful !!
    Bouboulette´s last blog post ..Envie #9

13. fenny setiawan commented
    July 18th, 2012 at 3:41am

I really love the color red. Lovely styling too…

14. Tracy A. commented
    July 18th, 2012 at 2:57pm

Amazing shades of red!
    Tracy A.´s last blog post .."As Rosemary is to the spirit, so Lavender is to the soul." ~ Anonymous

15. Pink Sister commented
    July 20th, 2012 at 10:10pm

I am just preparing for a big ruby wedding party for the folks tomorrow with an entirely red menu… Details on my blog with more tomorrow. Just waiting for the eton mess meringues to come out of the oven. Love the post. Thanks.
    Pink Sister´s last blog post ..Big Red Party