Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

August 1, 2012

I thought that today I’d share a peek from my own workspace of a corner that I’ve created where I clip my inspirations. While I have a mood board in the space and a bulletin board, I find this corner a refreshing space because I’ve hung 9 patterned clipboards that look neat and organized yet hold my inspirations of the moment.

Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

First, I asked my husband to hang a simple white shelf from IKEA and below it, I placed a few wooden stools so the shelf didn’t look quite so lonely. I intentionally hung the shelf lower because I knew that above it I wanted to hang clipboards and after measuring them (length x width), I knew how much space I needed to begin my project. I measured carefully to insure the shelf was at the correct level. The best thing is that the shelf doubles as a guest work space so when my students are here they can use this nook to jump on their laptop or to take notes while I’m teaching. The shelf is about the same height as a desk for this purpose.

Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

These clipboards came with patterns, so I selected 3 patterns and opted for 3 each for a total of 9 to fit the space. For your wall, you may need less (or more). My clipboards are from House Doctor in Denmark via Agentur Pedersen (their German rep) but if you cannot find their products in your country, you can always use clipboards from an office supply store and add your own patterns with wallpaper or you can paint them in a favorite color or colors. You could even be a bit subtle yet playful and paint them solid gray and if they have sides that are visible, you could paint only the sides neon colors like yellow or pink. You could also use chalkboard paint so that you can jot down notes or quotes using chalk on some and one others, clip what inspires you at the moment.

Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

Using a leveler, pencil and a measuring tape, my husband and I pulled together this little nook in about 20 minutes. I rent my apartment, so I’m stuck with the wallpaper in the bumpy white for now (oh well) but I still love my home and do what I can to distract the eye from the things that I do not like and in this case, the clipboards really work well and help me to better organize my office.

Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

I hope that this idea inspires you to try this in your own workspace. Would you experiment with this idea? What do you think? Any other ways you can think of to organize an office wall easily?

(photos: holly becker)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Yna August 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

I have clipboard too on my wall. But these patterned clipboards are really nice. Almost too good to turn something on them.

• Reply Jodi August 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I love the radio! Who makes it?

• Reply Claire August 1, 2012 at 12:41 pm

What a lovely, accessible DIY! Simple yet gorgeous, thank you for sharing. Claire.x

• Reply Emma August 1, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I just have to know, where did you get your ‘radio’ radio from??!

• Reply decor8 August 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm

@Emma: it’s a vintage German radio that I got at a shop specializing in such old cute things in 2006 – the shop is called ComingHome Interiors in Hannover, Germany.

• Reply nathalie August 1, 2012 at 1:14 pm

bonjour Holly :)I have in my office supplies just the very thing “a boring platic black clip board” hiding away … well now, it just want to come out and have fun, your installation looks great, thank you for the inspiration !

• Reply Tina Ramchandani August 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I’ve seen hanging clipboards a lot recently but the shelf below that is at desk height is a great idea. Definitely useful. Really like the stool fabric too :) I haven’t seen patterned clipboards here, may have to do some more digging.

• Reply Samira August 1, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I love how that looks!! super great idea!!!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I love it! Just beautiful hunnie! And how much do I love the branch with garland hanging from it? Where is that garland from? I love…..:)

• Reply decor8 August 1, 2012 at 4:02 pm

@Melissa – It was handmade for my book launch in London by my friend, Sania Pell. :)

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} August 1, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I love this idea! Clever and cute!

• Reply Christine August 1, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Love the clipboard idea!!

• Reply Amanda Talbot aka SnOOp August 2, 2012 at 6:01 am

This is a wonderful idea. I’m so flattered and thrilled to see you use one of my styled shots for inspiration!!! The glass wardrobe shot is by me :-))))

• Reply fenny setiawan August 2, 2012 at 6:37 am

This is a lovely DIY and easy to make, also in the same time will make my wall more lively. Thank you for the ideas. Holly!

• Reply radhika mansata August 2, 2012 at 7:44 am

• Reply shanon August 2, 2012 at 3:30 pm

You’re so good, you know. =)

• Reply Desha Peacock August 3, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This is a cool project I could see myself doing. It’s visually appealing and only doesn’t take a lot of time. I like the fact that you can change your inspirations quickly on the boards, too. Nice!

• Reply Chrystina August 3, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Which magazines are the pages from? – they look incredible!

• Reply Kat August 3, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Can I just ask what did you use to hold the clipboards to the wall? Just a nail? Anything else?

• Reply Steph Kara August 4, 2012 at 6:56 am

Hey I love what you’ve done and I even love the wallpaper! Always a challenge in a rented home!

• Reply Nancy August 5, 2012 at 11:14 am

Boy those photos are so gorgeous, they make me feel very ashamed of my messy office space… time for a sort out I think and these are fabulously inspiring!

• Reply Lucianna Samu August 9, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I’ve always told my clients they can have a great area to hang their notes and kids art work. This is another fabulous use of space. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Christabelle August 10, 2012 at 8:38 pm

What a beautiful way to organize your thoughts and inspirations. And I love the clipboard idea so you can simply “refresh” as needed. I’m a fan of odd #s with decór, so this idea I’d definitely borrow. Thank you!

• Reply jane August 10, 2012 at 9:22 pm

I have to know where you got the wooden flowers! they’re brilliant.

• Reply Melanie August 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm

This is so cool! Right now all of my ripped magazine sheets are in piles around my apartment or filed away in a folder I never open. Having them on display would make me much more likely to write about them or create projects based around the stuff I love. I would definitely try this idea!

• Reply Rachel August 20, 2012 at 12:25 am

This is super cute! And very easy to work with ^^
    I have 2 black thin ropes (maybe there´s another way to call, sorry for my english), crossing one of my walls, and then I hang black and white pictures with big silver clips :)

• Reply sarah hardaker August 27, 2012 at 1:09 pm

great idea and one i am going to put to good use in my studio, i might even cover the clipboards in our new toile or stripe, it will be much better than the bits of paper and bluetack on the stdio wall at the moment!!!

• Reply desiree - vosgesparis August 29, 2012 at 12:45 am

Big fan of clipboards I even have a huge one in my beroom Not sure if you ever saw them ;)

• Reply desiree - vosgesparis August 29, 2012 at 12:46 am

Big fan of clipboards. I even have a huge one in my bedroom

Not sure if you ever saw them ;)

• Reply Kate September 1, 2012 at 9:29 am

I love this idea! What a great way to organise inspirational images – especially good for a specific project

• Reply Lu September 3, 2012 at 1:34 am

Hello!! That yellow apple cake is amazing looking, could I have the recipe?

• Reply Sabowtage November 27, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Great idea! it’s beautiful!

• Reply Whitney July 20, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Love this. Just got some cute clipboards to give this a try. How did you fasten Them to the wall, though??