Organize Your Office: Clipboard DIY!

I thought that today I’d share a peek from my own workspace of a corner that I’ve created where I clip my inspirations. While I have a mood board in the space and a bulletin board, I find this corner a refreshing space because I’ve hung 9 patterned clipboards that look neat and organized yet hold my inspirations of the moment.

Alternate Moodboard Idea

First, I asked my husband to hang a simple white shelf from IKEA and below it, I placed a few wooden stools so the shelf didn’t look quite so lonely. I intentionally hung the shelf lower because I knew that above it I wanted to hang clipboards and after measuring them (length x width), I knew how much space I needed to begin my project. I measured carefully to insure the shelf was at the correct level. The best thing is that the shelf doubles as a guest work space so when my students are here they can use this nook to jump on their laptop or to take notes while I’m teaching. The shelf is about the same height as a desk for this purpose.

Alternate Moodboard Idea

These clipboards came with patterns, so I selected 3 patterns and opted for 3 each for a total of 9 to fit the space. For your wall, you may need less (or more). My clipboards are from House Doctor in Denmark via Agentur Pedersen (their German rep) but if you cannot find their products in your country, you can always use clipboards from an office supply store and add your own patterns with wallpaper or you can paint them in a favorite color or colors. You could even be a bit subtle yet playful and paint them solid gray and if they have sides that are visible, you could paint only the sides neon colors like yellow or pink. You could also use chalkboard paint so that you can jot down notes or quotes using chalk on some and one others, clip what inspires you at the moment.

Alternate Moodboard Idea

Using a leveler, pencil and a measuring tape, my husband and I pulled together this little nook in about 20 minutes. I rent my apartment, so I’m stuck with the wallpaper in the bumpy white for now (oh well) but I still love my home and do what I can to distract the eye from the things that I do not like and in this case, the clipboards really work well and help me to better organize my office.

Alternate Moodboard Idea

I hope that this idea inspires you to try this in your own workspace. Would you experiment with this idea? What do you think? Any other ways you can think of to organize an office wall easily?

(photos: holly becker)

Posted by decor8 in diy on August 01, 2012

1. Yna commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 11:59am

I have clipboard too on my wall. But these patterned clipboards are really nice. Almost too good to turn something on them.
    Yna´s last blog post ..Like No. 10

2. Jodi commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:21pm

I love the radio! Who makes it?

3. Claire commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:41pm

What a lovely, accessible DIY! Simple yet gorgeous, thank you for sharing. Claire.x

4. Emma commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 1:07pm

I just have to know, where did you get your ‘radio’ radio from??!

5. nathalie commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 1:14pm

bonjour Holly :)I have in my office supplies just the very thing “a boring platic black clip board” hiding away … well now, it just want to come out and have fun, your installation looks great, thank you for the inspiration !

6. decor8 commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 1:23pm

@Emma: it’s a vintage German radio that I got at a shop specializing in such old cute things in 2006 – the shop is called ComingHome Interiors in Hannover, Germany.

7. Tina Ramchandani commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 2:08pm

I’ve seen hanging clipboards a lot recently but the shelf below that is at desk height is a great idea. Definitely useful. Really like the stool fabric too :) I haven’t seen patterned clipboards here, may have to do some more digging.
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..Chobani Soho: A Non-Frozen Yogurt Bar

8. Samira commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 2:32pm

I love how that looks!! super great idea!!!!
    Samira´s last blog post ..Autumn Accessory

9. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 3:35pm

I love it! Just beautiful hunnie! And how much do I love the branch with garland hanging from it? Where is that garland from? I love…..:)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

10. decor8 commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 4:02pm

@Melissa – It was handmade for my book launch in London by my friend, Sania Pell. :)

11. Ashley {GirlyObsessions} commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 5:41pm

I love this idea! Clever and cute!
    Ashley {GirlyObsessions}´s last blog post ..Ashley from 7th House on the Left: in her makeup bag.

12. Christine commented
    August 1st, 2012 at 8:37pm

Love the clipboard idea!!

13. Amanda Talbot aka SnOOp commented
    August 2nd, 2012 at 6:01am

This is a wonderful idea. I’m so flattered and thrilled to see you use one of my styled shots for inspiration!!! The glass wardrobe shot is by me :-))))
    Amanda Talbot aka SnOOp´s last blog post ..Camping with a Tee Pee

14. fenny setiawan commented
    August 2nd, 2012 at 6:37am

This is a lovely DIY and easy to make, also in the same time will make my wall more lively. Thank you for the ideas. Holly!

15. radhika mansata commented
    August 2nd, 2012 at 7:44am

beautiful

16. shanon commented
    August 2nd, 2012 at 3:30pm

You’re so good, you know. =)
    shanon´s last blog post ..Our Year of Photos: week 30

17. Desha Peacock commented
    August 3rd, 2012 at 12:18pm

This is a cool project I could see myself doing. It’s visually appealing and only doesn’t take a lot of time. I like the fact that you can change your inspirations quickly on the boards, too. Nice!
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..Naughty Dog. Cute Skirts.

18. Chrystina commented
    August 3rd, 2012 at 4:47pm

Which magazines are the pages from? – they look incredible!
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..friday links: an august series, week 1

19. Kat commented
    August 3rd, 2012 at 7:00pm

Can I just ask what did you use to hold the clipboards to the wall? Just a nail? Anything else?

20. Steph Kara commented
    August 4th, 2012 at 6:56am

Hey I love what you’ve done and I even love the wallpaper! Always a challenge in a rented home!

21. Nancy commented
    August 5th, 2012 at 11:14am

Boy those photos are so gorgeous, they make me feel very ashamed of my messy office space… time for a sort out I think and these are fabulously inspiring!
    Nancy´s last blog post ..Brilliant Books – The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater (and a Delicious Peach and Bourbon Cake)

22. Lucianna Samu commented
    August 9th, 2012 at 2:18pm

I’ve always told my clients they can have a great area to hang their notes and kids art work. This is another fabulous use of space. Thanks for sharing.

23. Christabelle commented
    August 10th, 2012 at 8:38pm

What a beautiful way to organize your thoughts and inspirations. And I love the clipboard idea so you can simply “refresh” as needed. I’m a fan of odd #s with decór, so this idea I’d definitely borrow. Thank you!

24. jane commented
    August 10th, 2012 at 9:22pm

I have to know where you got the wooden flowers! they’re brilliant.

25. Melanie commented
    August 18th, 2012 at 6:46pm

This is so cool! Right now all of my ripped magazine sheets are in piles around my apartment or filed away in a folder I never open. Having them on display would make me much more likely to write about them or create projects based around the stuff I love. I would definitely try this idea!
    Melanie´s last blog post ..August Break: Hip

26. Rachel commented
    August 20th, 2012 at 12:25am

This is super cute! And very easy to work with ^^
    I have 2 black thin ropes (maybe there´s another way to call, sorry for my english), crossing one of my walls, and then I hang black and white pictures with big silver clips :)

27. sarah hardaker commented
    August 27th, 2012 at 1:09pm

great idea and one i am going to put to good use in my studio, i might even cover the clipboards in our new toile or stripe, it will be much better than the bits of paper and bluetack on the stdio wall at the moment!!!

28. desiree - vosgesparis commented
    August 29th, 2012 at 12:45am

Big fan of clipboards I even have a huge one in my beroom Not sure if you ever saw them ;)
    desiree – vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Vogue Fashion night

29. desiree - vosgesparis commented
    August 29th, 2012 at 12:46am

Big fan of clipboards. I even have a huge one in my bedroom

Not sure if you ever saw them ;)
    desiree – vosgesparis´s last blog post ..Vogue Fashion night

30. Kate commented
    September 1st, 2012 at 9:29am

I love this idea! What a great way to organise inspirational images – especially good for a specific project
    Kate´s last blog post ..Holiday time…

31. Lu commented
    September 3rd, 2012 at 1:34am

Hello!! That yellow apple cake is amazing looking, could I have the recipe?

32. Sabowtage commented
    November 27th, 2012 at 1:35pm

Great idea! it’s beautiful!
    Sabowtage´s last blog post ..Bon plan #2