Decorating Tips

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

September 10, 2012

I want to show you a cute decorating idea with washi tape but first, I heard from blogger Tina Fussell today from Traveling Mama, who is based in Copenhagen, about the new room for her daughter / guest bedroom that she’s been working on. It’s simply too cute to pass by so I thought I’d share it with you today, especially since I’m fond of how she’s used washi tape in both of these spaces…

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Notice the washi tape and how it is used above? A art/headboard! What a cute way to use tape. You can also make your own affordable artwork and you will see that below in her work studio so watch for it. Super cool.

About this bedroom Tina says, “We just recently bought ourselves a new bed, so our daughter inherited our old bed. We thought it would be a nice treat for her and a great place for guests to stay when they come to visit because everyone wants to visit when you live in a wonderful place such as Copenhagen!”

She continues, “My biggest problem was the fact that I could not find a bed that I liked and after a couple weeks of hitting all the chain stores here and searching the Danish version of Craig’s List, I finally realized that it might take me some time to find something I really love. And I really believe that you should always wait to buy something you love rather than buying something that is convenient! So, I created a temporary headboard with washi tapi and actually, I kind of love it and I think it might have to stay! Her room still shows signs of the fact that she is not quite grown up and as her mom that kind of makes me happy! She was tired of the hot pink and bright colors and was wanting something that felt a little more grown up and soothing.”

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Tina adds, “We put some fun artwork and a few boxes on her dresser. This dresser was originally a pine wood stain (just like the cabinet in our living room shown here) but it got a coat of white paint a while back and I just love it!” I think it’s pretty great also, Tina.

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

She also spruced up the hardware, “New knobs did wonders to the piece as well! They are from House Doctor.” Great idea!

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

This decorating project was also affordable as Tina explains, “The best part about this updated tween/guest bedroom is that it didn’t cost a single penny! I either grabbed something from a different room, incorporated what I already had, or more importantly, removed a lot from the room and simplified things! I was surprised by how much it made what we already had look so different, which is kind of awesome!”

Isn’t this a sweet room?

In addition, Tina has a lovely space for blogging and sewing in her Danish apartment that I have to share with you as I think it’s so light, bright and pretty. Check it out below…

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

Notice the washi tape art?!?!

So cute! Would you try this idea with washi tape?

(images: tina fussell)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Inge September 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm

How come I never thought of that?? :-) She’s so right to not buy anything if you’re not totally in love with it. And about the washi tape thing: sometimes simple things are the best. I never tried that out, but I could… It’s so easy, cute and affordable as well!
    Oh and I fell in love with the last picture… that cute little owl in the white chair is so adorable!

• Reply Cyn | decyng September 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm

Nice rooms and ideas. I was planning to do something to my walls, so this is inspiring!

• Reply Miranda September 10, 2012 at 9:54 pm

You can make so much beautiful decorations with washi tape. I love it and it’s so much fun!
    And i realy like the way it’s used here as a headboard. Nice idea!
    For myself i made a photocollage in the hall with family pictures and with christmas i like the washi tape deer i made last year.
    And by the way, this is a beautiful light workspace with all the photo’s and lovely lamps. Just my style.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Juliette September 10, 2012 at 10:15 pm

She’s a true creative maven, love her! — and yes, washi art has been on the to-do for a while, just need to execute!

• Reply Monsterscircus September 10, 2012 at 10:51 pm

Wow it looks so delightfull and creative! I really love the easy but stunning idea from Tina. Thanks for sharing

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang September 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Oh I love this! I have ideas spinning around in my head!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily September 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Tina has made such a beautiful job-clever lady!

• Reply kelly September 11, 2012 at 1:20 am

A couple of years ago, we were having problems with our landlord and they were insisting on doing unnecessary work. Long story short, we couldn’t have a Christmas tree. I ended up using washi tape and Christmas cards and making a tree on the wall. It was super cute and lasted as long as we needed it to!

• Reply Christina @ Little Victorian September 11, 2012 at 2:48 am

Very cute idea. I would love to try it, but unfortunately, Washi tape doesn’t stick very well to my satin-finished walls. Is that just me? Anyone else have that experience?

• Reply belinda September 11, 2012 at 3:02 am

oooh tina, I adore your style and just want to move into your house xx

• Reply Laura Gaskill September 11, 2012 at 3:44 am

So lovely to see Tina’s home! I have to say, my favorite part is the blogging/sewing space – how dreamy! I would love, love, love to have a space like this in my home…perhaps someday. :) Of course, the small space I do currently have would be much more delightful with a little sprucing up, and I am getting all sorts of ideas from Tina’s desk area, artwork, and handmade touches. Lovely! xoxo Laura

• Reply Art and Chic September 11, 2012 at 7:33 am

oh, that` s a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Love it!
    Happy Day:-)

• Reply fenny setiawan September 11, 2012 at 8:13 am

I always admire Tina’s home. Love the airy and bright feeling. I recently did some simple washi decorating for my daughter room too. I love how it turned up.

• Reply Lara Jade September 11, 2012 at 9:05 am

For interior design I always prefer on simple but stylish furniture that is made for eye catching. I’ve got some idea from your blog to create some furniture for my new design plan.

• Reply nauli September 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

Really nice expamples for using the magic tape. We use it for temporary writing childrens names on the doors, if we have he wall.guests. And have a big to do list on the wall. So it’s not totally out of our head to write a quote with it.

But very exciting are the new wide Washi Masking Tapes for wall and furniture decor! We wait to have them in the shop next week and can’t wait to try out what to do with MT Casa!

• Reply fräuleinwunder September 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

i realy love the animal parade :-) nice inspiration. thx

• Reply Jeanette September 11, 2012 at 10:24 am

LOVE it!
    And Tina is the sweetest :) I had the pleasure to meet her in Berlin this spring. She is so chic!

Wish you a lovely day Holly :) xox

• Reply Anya Andores September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I love it so – looks absolutely gorgeous :)

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 11, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Love it, what a beautiful home and I love the washi tape ideas. I think I am going to try something like that….right….now! :)

• Reply Kat September 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Oh I love this, Tina has such a good eye for detail!
    Love the butterfly knobs. And the sweet dreams headboard.
    Her inspiration wall is beautifully done too.
    Thanks for sharing it with us Holly
    Kat x

• Reply Traveling Mama September 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Thank you, Holly for such a lovely feature and thank you to everyone for the sweet comments! You all really made my daughter’s day!

• Reply Traveling Mama September 13, 2012 at 5:12 pm

@Inge The owl is from Kempton Jones!

• Reply Steph Kara September 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Love the room and the idea. More inspired to paint my old sideboard white and grab some funky ceramic handles from the overseas imports shop in the next town!

• Reply Capri October 17, 2012 at 2:02 am

I love, love, love the gold and white vase on your daughter’s dresser. I have seen these before also as a lamp. Is this vintage? I assume so. I have been looking everywhere to find and have not been able to find one yet! :( The pictures are wonderful, love your style!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply shalini December 11, 2012 at 9:41 am

I have never heard about this washi tape and because of you I came to know about this washi tape. I also came to know that how creatively we can use this.

• Reply Astrid February 11, 2013 at 11:24 pm

@Capri: capri, that vase is actually by IKEA, a collaboration with Dutch artist Helle Jongerius. IKEA still carries it, good luck finding one, Astrid

• Reply Siobhan March 5, 2014 at 7:01 pm

I love the washi tape and I adore that computer chair, where did you get it? I’m looking for one for my desk, but all the standard office ones are really ugly.

• Reply Washi Kawaii May 3, 2014 at 1:24 am

That’s a really cute washi tape idea~!