Washi Tape Idea For Your Walls

I want to show you a cute decorating idea with washi tape but first, I heard from blogger Tina Fussell today from Traveling Mama, who is based in Copenhagen, about the new room for her daughter / guest bedroom that she’s been working on. It’s simply too cute to pass by so I thought I’d share it with you today, especially since I’m fond of how she’s used washi tape in both of these spaces…

Darling Room from Traveling Mama

Notice the washi tape and how it is used above? A art/headboard! What a cute way to use tape. You can also make your own affordable artwork and you will see that below in her work studio so watch for it. Super cool.

About this bedroom Tina says, “We just recently bought ourselves a new bed, so our daughter inherited our old bed. We thought it would be a nice treat for her and a great place for guests to stay when they come to visit because everyone wants to visit when you live in a wonderful place such as Copenhagen!”

She continues, “My biggest problem was the fact that I could not find a bed that I liked and after a couple weeks of hitting all the chain stores here and searching the Danish version of Craig’s List, I finally realized that it might take me some time to find something I really love. And I really believe that you should always wait to buy something you love rather than buying something that is convenient! So, I created a temporary headboard with washi tapi and actually, I kind of love it and I think it might have to stay! Her room still shows signs of the fact that she is not quite grown up and as her mom that kind of makes me happy! She was tired of the hot pink and bright colors and was wanting something that felt a little more grown up and soothing.”

Darling Room from Traveling Mama

Tina adds, “We put some fun artwork and a few boxes on her dresser. This dresser was originally a pine wood stain (just like the cabinet in our living room shown here) but it got a coat of white paint a while back and I just love it!” I think it’s pretty great also, Tina.

Darling Room from Traveling Mama

She also spruced up the hardware, “New knobs did wonders to the piece as well! They are from House Doctor.” Great idea!

Darling Room from Traveling Mama

This decorating project was also affordable as Tina explains, “The best part about this updated tween/guest bedroom is that it didn’t cost a single penny! I either grabbed something from a different room, incorporated what I already had, or more importantly, removed a lot from the room and simplified things! I was surprised by how much it made what we already had look so different, which is kind of awesome!”

Isn’t this a sweet room?

In addition, Tina has a lovely space for blogging and sewing in her Danish apartment that I have to share with you as I think it’s so light, bright and pretty. Check it out below…

Traveling Mama Workspace

Traveling Mama Workspace

Traveling Mama Workspace

Traveling Mama Workspace

Notice the washi tape art?!?!

So cute! Would you try this idea with washi tape?

(images: tina fussell)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on September 10, 2012

1. Inge commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 9:04pm

How come I never thought of that?? :-) She’s so right to not buy anything if you’re not totally in love with it. And about the washi tape thing: sometimes simple things are the best. I never tried that out, but I could… It’s so easy, cute and affordable as well!
    Oh and I fell in love with the last picture… that cute little owl in the white chair is so adorable!
    Inge´s last blog post ..Lovely Etsy Find {romantic prints by Lisa Barbero + giveaway}

2. Cyn | decyng commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 9:30pm

Nice rooms and ideas. I was planning to do something to my walls, so this is inspiring!
    Cyn | decyng´s last blog post ..La vida sin textiles | A life without textiles

3. Miranda commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 9:54pm

You can make so much beautiful decorations with washi tape. I love it and it’s so much fun!
    And i realy like the way it’s used here as a headboard. Nice idea!
    For myself i made a photocollage in the hall with family pictures and with christmas i like the washi tape deer i made last year.
    And by the way, this is a beautiful light workspace with all the photo’s and lovely lamps. Just my style.
    Thanks for sharing!

Miranda

4. Juliette commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 10:15pm

She’s a true creative maven, love her! — and yes, washi art has been on the to-do for a while, just need to execute!
    Juliette´s last blog post ..Weekend Links

5. Monsterscircus commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 10:51pm

Wow it looks so delightfull and creative! I really love the easy but stunning idea from Tina. Thanks for sharing
    Monsterscircus´s last blog post ..Mask Monday

6. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 11:13pm

Oh I love this! I have ideas spinning around in my head!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..4 Year Blog Anniversary

7. caroline @trend-daily commented
    September 10th, 2012 at 11:25pm

Tina has made such a beautiful job-clever lady!
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Raw Ingredients…

8. kelly commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 1:20am

A couple of years ago, we were having problems with our landlord and they were insisting on doing unnecessary work. Long story short, we couldn’t have a Christmas tree. I ended up using washi tape and Christmas cards and making a tree on the wall. It was super cute and lasted as long as we needed it to!
    kelly´s last blog post ..Christmas in September!

9. Christina @ Little Victorian commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 2:48am

Very cute idea. I would love to try it, but unfortunately, Washi tape doesn’t stick very well to my satin-finished walls. Is that just me? Anyone else have that experience?
    Christina @ Little Victorian´s last blog post ..The desk lamp is redone!

10. belinda commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 3:02am

oooh tina, I adore your style and just want to move into your house xx

11. Laura Gaskill commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 3:44am

So lovely to see Tina’s home! I have to say, my favorite part is the blogging/sewing space – how dreamy! I would love, love, love to have a space like this in my home…perhaps someday. :) Of course, the small space I do currently have would be much more delightful with a little sprucing up, and I am getting all sorts of ideas from Tina’s desk area, artwork, and handmade touches. Lovely! xoxo Laura

12. Art and Chic commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 7:33am

oh, that` s a great idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Love it!
    Happy Day:-)
    Art and Chic´s last blog post ..Chic & Style – Louis Vuitton Cruise 2012!

13. fenny setiawan commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 8:13am

I always admire Tina’s home. Love the airy and bright feeling. I recently did some simple washi decorating for my daughter room too. I love how it turned up.

14. Lara Jade commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 9:05am

For interior design I always prefer on simple but stylish furniture that is made for eye catching. I’ve got some idea from your blog to create some furniture for my new design plan.

15. nauli commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 9:21am

Really nice expamples for using the magic tape. We use it for temporary writing childrens names on the doors, if we have he wall.guests. And have a big to do list on the wall. So it’s not totally out of our head to write a quote with it.

But very exciting are the new wide Washi Masking Tapes for wall and furniture decor! We wait to have them in the shop next week and can’t wait to try out what to do with MT Casa!
    nauli´s last blog post ..Color the street! Masking Tape street art in neon…

16. fräuleinwunder commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 9:40am

i realy love the animal parade :-) nice inspiration. thx

17. Jeanette commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 10:24am

LOVE it!
    And Tina is the sweetest :) I had the pleasure to meet her in Berlin this spring. She is so chic!

Wish you a lovely day Holly :) xox

18. Anya Andores commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 3:01pm

I love it so – looks absolutely gorgeous :)
    Anya Andores´s last blog post ..Raise your glass

19. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 11th, 2012 at 4:17pm

Love it, what a beautiful home and I love the washi tape ideas. I think I am going to try something like that….right….now! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Little things & little moments

20. Kat commented
    September 12th, 2012 at 10:59pm

Oh I love this, Tina has such a good eye for detail!
    Love the butterfly knobs. And the sweet dreams headboard.
    Her inspiration wall is beautifully done too.
    Thanks for sharing it with us Holly
    Kat x
    Kat´s last blog post ..Indigo essences, their support & blessings

21. Traveling Mama commented
    September 13th, 2012 at 5:11pm

Thank you, Holly for such a lovely feature and thank you to everyone for the sweet comments! You all really made my daughter’s day!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..the {unbirthday} party

22. Traveling Mama commented
    September 13th, 2012 at 5:12pm

@Inge The owl is from Kempton Jones! http://www.etsy.com/shop/kemptonjones
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..the {unbirthday} party

23. Steph Kara commented
    September 14th, 2012 at 5:43pm

Love the room and the idea. More inspired to paint my old sideboard white and grab some funky ceramic handles from the overseas imports shop in the next town!

24. Capri commented
    October 17th, 2012 at 2:02am

I love, love, love the gold and white vase on your daughter’s dresser. I have seen these before also as a lamp. Is this vintage? I assume so. I have been looking everywhere to find and have not been able to find one yet! :( The pictures are wonderful, love your style!!!!!!!!!!

25. shalini commented
    December 11th, 2012 at 9:41am

I have never heard about this washi tape and because of you I came to know about this washi tape. I also came to know that how creatively we can use this.
    shalini´s last blog post ..Types Of Wood

26. Astrid commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:24pm

@Capri: capri, that vase is actually by IKEA, a collaboration with Dutch artist Helle Jongerius. IKEA still carries it, good luck finding one, Astrid

27. Siobhan commented
    March 5th, 2014 at 7:01pm

I love the washi tape and I adore that computer chair, where did you get it? I’m looking for one for my desk, but all the standard office ones are really ugly.
    Siobhan´s last blog post ..Best Lasagne Recipe EVER?

28. Washi Kawaii commented
    May 3rd, 2014 at 1:24am

That’s a really cute washi tape idea~!
    Washi Kawaii´s last blog post ..Washi Kawaii reviews Washi Wonderful by Jenny Doh