Decorating Tips

September 11, 2012

I’ve got washi tape on the brain now after seeing Tina’s home, don’t you? Do you recall when just last year lots of bloggers were a-buzz with the news that Japanese washi tape company, MT Tape, had launched a line of super jumbo tape called MT Casa that you could use on your walls, ceiling, floor – anywhere and everywhere? I do. Do you remember this post from Hello Sandwich? She really got me exited over it. Then, as quickly as the buzz started, it died… blogs went silent and nothing else was mentioned again. Until now.

MT Casa: XL Washi Tape For Decorating

Seems it was super tricky to find MT Casa in the US and Europe but now that British writer Ellie Tennant visited French design fair Maison & Objet this past week and reported about it on her blog, I have hope that we just may see it becoming trendy (and available) very soon. This is so much fun! I’ve been talking about designing wallpaper for years and years that you can peel and stick for those who rent and this stuff could very well help those who lease property and want to personalize it without begging the landlord for paint and paper. TAPE IT UP!

MT Casa: XL Washi Tape For Decorating

Ellie reports on her blog, “Available in 5cm, 10cm or 20cm widths, the new tape is specifically designed for home decoration and, as if stripes on your surfaces aren’t exciting enough, there are 5cm diameter sticky polka dot spots available, too.” Check this kitchen out below. Wild, right!?

MT Casa: XL Washi Tape For Decorating

That’s a little over the top for me, but in moderation I can see this stuff really working. You can watch this crazy kitchen (above) come to life here via this video that MT Tape put on YouTube. What a riot! Apparently, you can stick it to cabinetry, floors, glass and appliances, too. If it comes in white, I can see applying it together with black for a funky graphic black and white floor. The idea of being able to cover a horrible floor in a rental apartment, like a 1970s avocado lino in a kitchen, is a delight – right!?

MT Casa: XL Washi Tape For Decorating

Ellie reports that this will also be on display soon in London at TOP DRAWER. Looks like we’ll be seeing MT Casa in stores soon, exciting!

(images: mt casa, ellie tennant and hello sandwich)

You Might Also Like

• Reply vert foncé September 11, 2012 at 11:47 am

I love the washi tape!!!

Happy day

• Reply Rachel Poole September 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I adore washi tape and have recently discovered a little company that sell it in the UK, Superlovely I had a super lovely chat with the owner at the Farnham Maltings Monthly Market

• Reply Juliette September 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm

So funny b/c just this morning I was looking at a German online shop and noticed they sell the aqua dot wide version (23.5cm wide on a 5m roll) and I was thinking, huh, so I guess they’re selling the big stuff in shops now! =D

Here’s a link if anybody’s interested:

• Reply decor8 September 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Juliette thank you!
      And I love your new photo!!!!

• Reply Juliette September 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm

@decor8: Thanks! Tina took it for me. =)

• Reply Lucianna Samu September 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I haven’t seen the Washi Tape before but I will be on the look out from now on. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Ellie Tennant September 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for the mention Holly :)

• Reply Bethany September 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Has anyone who has used this on walls had luck removing it without damaging the walls? I had a pretty unfortunate experience with “removable” wallpaper in a rental apartment. I’d love to hear, if you have.

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk September 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

It’s a washi tape frenzy!!

• Reply Kelly @ Studio DIY September 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Fingers crossed it’s available in the US soon too! Saw it again at the NYIGF and had high hopes someone would pick it up for their shop! On the lookout!

• Reply Cindy September 11, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Woow, xxl mt is great

• Reply Jenna September 11, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Does anybody know if this will be available in Canada or available to ship to Canada? Thanks!

• Reply Ashley {GirlyObsessions} September 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I love all of these ideas! Thanks for sharing, Holly!

• Reply ines September 11, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Hi there!

What a lovely post. I met at the “kreativ” in Hamburg some very lovely ladies who sell the tapes as well here in Germany. If you like to have a look:

Have a fab day, ines

• Reply fenny setiawan September 12, 2012 at 4:06 am

This projects makes me happy :). I always love using Washi Tapes.

• Reply September 12, 2012 at 5:13 am

We are so excited that it’s coming to the US in the very near future!

• Reply Eleanor September 12, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Okay. This could seriously change my life. We have been living with an awful AWFUL off-white linoleum floor in our odd shaped bedroom for years. If I could experiment with affordable, low-commitment 20cm wide washi tape it would revolutionize that room and could quite possibly end my carpet dilemma forever.

Oh please, please I hope this stuff is available soon! Thanks for the heads up!!!

• Reply Caisee September 12, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Oh my goodness this would be awesome! I have been staring at my walls wanting to paint/paper- but I lease and I plan on moving when it’s up, but I so want to do something like this! Hopefully it’s available in the US soon! I’d so buy it! LOTS of it! :)

• Reply craftyjapan September 19, 2012 at 6:16 am

We sell the entire range of mt casa if anyone needs :) Ship to anywhere in the world :D I just did my son’s bedroom in the Lime Green Washi spots – gorgeous!!

• Reply Lauren November 2, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Has anyone been able to find the MT Casa XL tape in the US? I’ve attempted to contact Sweet Bella a few times but haven’t ever heard back. Wah!

• Reply Ashley March 24, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Here is a site I found that sells the Casa tape. I can’t where it is located, but I have ordered previously and the items arrive in 2 days or less! Great service and selection.

• Reply Lauren April 5, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I was hunting to see if anyone was using this for more than just wallpaper and came across your site. I’m about to buy some from http// (they’re in the US) and wanted to see if anyone else is using it!

• Reply mt casa April 7, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Yes, we are selling mt casa in the US now!

• Reply Jacki April 12, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I absolutely love those taped stairs, I’m really wishing I didn’t have carpeted stairs right about now!

• Reply Jurgen July 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I love washi tapes since seeing them for the first time this year at ambiente. I don’t think it would holdup on floors though, also it would be interesting to know on which wall surfaces it can’t be used?

I would also imagine it could get very, very expensive pretty soon. Anyone have any experience in doing up a wall?