Color Inspiration

October 31, 2012

Hello friends! It is Leslie here with my Color Me Pretty column for October. Holly and I decided to try something different this time. She sent me an image that she liked and I created the color story based off of that image. We wanted to show how you can take something that inspires you and turn it into a craft project, a floral arrangement or maybe a little décor item for your home. She thought with so many people pinning stuff on Pinterest, why not try to inspire YOU with how to actually translate something you’re pinning into a real project that you can work on at home. Here is the inspiration from Holly – this photo and this palette. This was my mission!

Krafty October

The image of Kelli Murray’s invitations was a fun starting off point for me because I love stationery and I often look at paper for inspiration! The palette of a medium gray, coppery brown, black, and bright melon is a fun one to use for fall. Since it is not a traditional fall palette it could definitely be used year around. Since I did not have much copper paper on hand I shifted the color to a kraft brown. I hope you enjoy this series!

Krafty October

I just love the cute little feather garland Kelli included in her invitations and I wanted to try scaling it up to make one for my studio. I had a natural twine on hand and cut the feathers out of scrap paper, including a paper grocery bag (can’t get enough of them!!!). I had seen a post Merrillee on the Mer Mag blog had done on feather crowns and used her tips on how to cut out feathers as a guide. I did not use I stencil but rather just free hand cut the shapes. The feather shape is a nice change from the typical fall leaf shapes.

Krafty October

The black on white stylized owl illustration inspired me to get out some of the stamps I purchased last year from Impress in Seattle. I wanted to try making some stamped wrapping paper with them. I cut open large mailing envelopes because I have a box of them to use up! Then I quickly stamped some strips, cut them out and used them on some parcels. I finished the gifts off with some washi tape, black ribbon and more paper feathers. All this gift-wrapping had me motivated to make some more gift tags using my scraps and my handy Marvy Uchida gift tag punch! Their punches are awesome and it is a super fast way to use up any scrap paper. I then punch a small hole in them and store them away for future wrapping in a little box.

Krafty October

I continue to create small mood boards in my little notebooks. It is an easy way for me to record a color palette I have worked with. I like using bits of paper to create a tiny color story. It is always inspiring to go through them later and look back on what I was interested in. Do you create visual journals? If you don’t you may want to try, as it is a relaxing way to get the creativity flowing.

Krafty October

Of course, you can also create the more traditional mood board on the wall, which is what I did above.

Krafty October

I also thought of ways to simply add some dots of the palette around my work studio – you can see the results of that above on my shelves. I even added washi tape around the shelves for some color.

Thinking about all my friends on the east coast who have been dealing with this terrible storm. Take good care. xo Leslie.

(text/styling/photography: leslie shrewing)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Katia October 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm

So lovely! I really like it all and was inspired by the shelves decoration. Thank you Leslie!

• Reply Pilar October 31, 2012 at 10:32 pm

So inspiring! I love the stamps and wrapping! :)

• Reply Tania October 31, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Love!!! I really like this idea for wrapping packages. And I do like the concept of digging deeper on why a particular image appeals to us and the color story being one of the reasons we like a photo, room or product.

On apartment therapy, they do have an add on now that you can click on when in home tours and it creates a color palette in chip form for you.

• Reply lpm October 31, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Great work! Leslie: you just gave me an idea on how else I can use my rubber stamps. As always, thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Cloud Nine October 31, 2012 at 11:24 pm

What a wonderful color palette. Great inspiration for this year’s Christmas wrapping. Thanks.

• Reply Maria @ Scandi Home October 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Love Leslie’s work and always leave feeling so inspired! x

• Reply Lela November 1, 2012 at 12:01 am

Your studio must look lovely! And I have to tell you, I’m a huge fan of your color palette series. Keep up the inspiring work!

• Reply Marjory November 1, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hi Leslie, thanks for sharing. What a great idea! Beautiful patterns and palettes. Oh, these mood boards are so lovely and inspiring, they melt my heart. I love stationary and nothing like creating your own!

• Reply Joey Thomas November 1, 2012 at 12:45 am

Wow.. so inspiring. I love everything about this post. The colour theme, the feathers and the amazing wrapping paper. I’m heading to the website you recommended and buying myself some stamps and one of those gift tag cuts outs – brilliant ideas all round!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily November 1, 2012 at 1:06 am

What a really lovely post Leslie. I recently made some paper feathers-inspired by Pinterest too. Your lessons reminded me that I’m great at collecting my favourite images and then never doing anything with them. It’s so lovely trying out some crafting again. The colour palette is really gorgeous :-) caroline

• Reply kirsty November 1, 2012 at 1:47 am

Oh I love all of this. The wrapping especially!

• Reply Desha Peacock November 1, 2012 at 2:19 am

Hi Leslie, I love what you did with this challenge, especially the stamped wrapping paper with feathers- you are SO creative!

• Reply Yelle November 1, 2012 at 2:57 am

You are so very innovative! I love how you can see so much style and design in that one photo inspiration!

• Reply michelle November 1, 2012 at 3:31 am

Hi Leslie,
    I love the greys with the pops of melon and how contemporary the spots in black and white are but also … how the kraft paper relaxes the colour palette.
    The paper feathers are adorable – I am certainly inspired to learn how to make them!
    I really enjoy visually …. how your styling is perfect but with an air of simplicity.
    Many thanks for sharing your extraordinary creativity.

• Reply Michele S November 1, 2012 at 4:16 am

Leslie, I love the new idea of Holly giving you an “assignment” with a starting point. What a great idea to help us, in turn, try to apply your ideas in a practical way for ourselves!

And I’m excited to hear that you have been to Impress in Seattle. It’s a great rubber stamp store and they offer wonderfully inspiring classes (I’ve taken several over the years.)

Now, on to your post–fabulous, as usual. I love your photographs and spend a long time looking at each one, at every detail. So beautiful.

• Reply fenny setiawan November 1, 2012 at 4:52 am

I love the new little twist that you have in Color Me Pretty. It was a good idea indeed to try something from the images that inspired us and transform it into project/DIY. Lovely.

I also like the feather garland so much, I am gonna try it out.

• Reply Jessica Senti November 1, 2012 at 6:43 am

Inspiring as usual Leslie! I love the idea of using an inspiration image! It’s really fun seeing your creative process! :)

• Reply Yna November 1, 2012 at 8:08 am

Das ist ja alles ganz traumhaft. Die Federn gefallen mir supergut. Was für eine schöne Deko Idee. Und auf die Seite mit den Stempel n habe ich natürlich auch gleich gestürzt. :)

• Reply agnieszka n. November 1, 2012 at 8:10 am

Hello, wonderful jnspirations I find here, on your blog!! I stay;))
    Hugs for a new day:))

• Reply Anna November 1, 2012 at 10:03 am

It’s very nice!

• Reply Erika November 1, 2012 at 11:40 am

Aw, I absolutely love the feather garland!

• Reply Inge November 1, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Those colors are beautiful and I love what you’ve done with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Jutta November 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I’m in awe – again! Simply gorgeous!

• Reply Maria November 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Love you blog. Inspiring. Beautiful ideas!

• Reply Margarida November 1, 2012 at 1:15 pm

This is so inspiring :-)
    I love the colours.
    I love the paper feathers.
    I love the stamps.

• Reply Ella November 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I love this!
    YOUR post has inspired an idea..
    Thank you so much!

• Reply mer November 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm

gorgeous Leslie! The feathers turned out fabulous. This remains one of my favorite color schemes of all time.

• Reply Heidi Dudley November 1, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Funny how the things you think about show up in your life! Yesterday I was thinking about how fall is so beautiful, yet the colors are not my favorite. How inspiring to see your new color & motif take on fall. Love it!! So pretty!

• Reply Polly November 2, 2012 at 12:36 am

Ahhh I love love love these colours and those papercut feathers! x

• Reply Jupa November 2, 2012 at 1:47 am

Love it! so inspiring… what to make things

• Reply Pearls of Style November 2, 2012 at 3:53 am

So creative. I absolutely love the watercolour tags. Very inspired to try something out myself!

• Reply carla November 2, 2012 at 4:57 am

Hi from Holland. A thank you to Holly to share her friends with us and thank you Leslie for the color you bring into this world.
    I am a “white” person but I really do love your work, i was looking at it with my mouth wide open.

• Reply Melanie Saucier November 2, 2012 at 8:14 am

I love that you mentioned reusing the grocery paper bags. I have tons of it and kept it waiting for the right project. Love this! And YES, it is a great idea and series.

• Reply Eleanor November 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

Such great ideas! What an inspirational post!

• Reply Anisley November 2, 2012 at 11:31 am

LOVE these projects!! Those invites are so cute!

• Reply Steph Kara November 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Lovely colour combo! Thanks for the inspiration !

• Reply Marloes November 2, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Lovely as always!

• Reply April Louise November 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I love everything about your gift wrap, the colour palette, the prints and handmade style! You’re so talented.

• Reply Wendy November 2, 2012 at 10:11 pm

I particularly like the coral and tan / brown colors together in the white bookcase.

• Reply Catie November 3, 2012 at 1:09 am

I found you thru Pinterest and I’m so inspired! I am such a sucker for polka dots, kraft and neon coral :) I’m very lucky to live in Seattle, so am headed to Impress ASAP. Those stamps are great! Next time you’re here, make sure you visit Uwajimaya which is amazing. The grocery store part is huge and the bookstore has tons of washi tape at great prices.

• Reply Leslie November 3, 2012 at 9:00 am

Amazing as always! Fab combo and some great wrapping ideas.

• Reply Les Papiers November 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

So cute! Love it!!!

• Reply KMP Modern November 6, 2012 at 3:14 am

something inspiring turned into a craft project or a home decor!…Love the idea… the black patterns are my favorite… great post!

• Reply Diane November 6, 2012 at 3:27 am

Amazing post Leslie! Love the feathers and the color palette you used.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Fabric World November 6, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Je t’adore! Absolutely gorgeous colour palette and a very clever combination of colours that just work. I know some perfect fabrics that would look great with these colours too. the intricate detailing on the wrapped presents with the feathers are sublime and you have given me ideas for Christmas wrapping. Love your blog!
    Best, Sonia

• Reply Olivia November 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Thanks for all this ideas !!! I’m lovin’

• Reply Renee @ Rustic Crafts and Chic Decor November 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm

This is a fantastic idea! I love what you did with the wrapping. I am now going on a search for things that inspire me!

• Reply itziar November 7, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Wow! love the colors!
    Thanks for sharing this creative process… i wanna put my wrap papers in order!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 7, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Just absolutely gorgeous hunnie! I LOVE this palette and love the inspiration behind it. Your interpretation is just spectacular….I want to create something with those feathers! LOVE! :)

• Reply Chrystina November 13, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Such pretty packaging, I wouldn’t ever want to open it!

• Reply Nelly DUTARDE-GABARD January 12, 2013 at 11:04 am