Color Me Pretty: Krafty October

Hello friends! It is Leslie here with my Color Me Pretty column for October. Holly and I decided to try something different this time. She sent me an image that she liked and I created the color story based off of that image. We wanted to show how you can take something that inspires you and turn it into a craft project, a floral arrangement or maybe a little décor item for your home. She thought with so many people pinning stuff on Pinterest, why not try to inspire YOU with how to actually translate something you’re pinning into a real project that you can work on at home. Here is the inspiration from Holly – this photo and this palette. This was my mission!

Inspiration behind CMP for October

The image of Kelli Murray’s invitations was a fun starting off point for me because I love stationery and I often look at paper for inspiration! The palette of a medium gray, coppery brown, black, and bright melon is a fun one to use for fall. Since it is not a traditional fall palette it could definitely be used year around. Since I did not have much copper paper on hand I shifted the color to a kraft brown. I hope you enjoy this series!

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I just love the cute little feather garland Kelli included in her invitations and I wanted to try scaling it up to make one for my studio. I had a natural twine on hand and cut the feathers out of scrap paper, including a paper grocery bag (can’t get enough of them!!!). I had seen a post Merrillee on the Mer Mag blog had done on feather crowns and used her tips on how to cut out feathers as a guide. I did not use I stencil but rather just free hand cut the shapes. The feather shape is a nice change from the typical fall leaf shapes.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

The black on white stylized owl illustration inspired me to get out some of the stamps I purchased last year from Impress in Seattle. I wanted to try making some stamped wrapping paper with them. I cut open large mailing envelopes because I have a box of them to use up! Then I quickly stamped some strips, cut them out and used them on some parcels. I finished the gifts off with some washi tape, black ribbon and more paper feathers. All this gift-wrapping had me motivated to make some more gift tags using my scraps and my handy Marvy Uchida gift tag punch! Their punches are awesome and it is a super fast way to use up any scrap paper. I then punch a small hole in them and store them away for future wrapping in a little box.

Color Me Pretty

I continue to create small mood boards in my little notebooks. It is an easy way for me to record a color palette I have worked with. I like using bits of paper to create a tiny color story. It is always inspiring to go through them later and look back on what I was interested in. Do you create visual journals? If you don’t you may want to try, as it is a relaxing way to get the creativity flowing.

Color Me Pretty

Of course, you can also create the more traditional mood board on the wall, which is what I did above.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I also thought of ways to simply add some dots of the palette around my work studio – you can see the results of that above on my shelves. I even added washi tape around the shelves for some color.

Thinking about all my friends on the east coast who have been dealing with this terrible storm. Take good care. xo Leslie.

(text/styling/photography: leslie shrewing)

Posted by decor8 in Color Me Pretty on October 31, 2012

1. Katia commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 10:18pm

So lovely! I really like it all and was inspired by the shelves decoration. Thank you Leslie!
    Katia´s last blog post ..Nuove minicard – biglietti da visita e un po’ di più!

2. Pilar commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 10:32pm

So inspiring! I love the stamps and wrapping! :)

Love,
    Pili.

Pilar´s last blog post ..Halloween flowerpot!

3. Tania commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 10:53pm

Love!!! I really like this idea for wrapping packages. And I do like the concept of digging deeper on why a particular image appeals to us and the color story being one of the reasons we like a photo, room or product.

On apartment therapy, they do have an add on now that you can click on when in home tours and it creates a color palette in chip form for you.
    Tania´s last blog post ..Take a Picture…Eerie Beauty

4. lpm commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 10:58pm

Great work! Leslie: you just gave me an idea on how else I can use my rubber stamps. As always, thanks for the inspiration!

5. Cloud Nine commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 11:24pm

What a wonderful color palette. Great inspiration for this year’s Christmas wrapping. Thanks.
    Cloud Nine´s last blog post ..Apple-Cinnamon-Latte

6. Maria @ Scandi Home commented
    October 31st, 2012 at 11:59pm

Absolutely gorgeous! Love Leslie’s work and always leave feeling so inspired! x
    Maria @ Scandi Home´s last blog post ..Friday Craft

7. Lela commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:01am

Your studio must look lovely! And I have to tell you, I’m a huge fan of your color palette series. Keep up the inspiring work!

8. Marjory commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:40am

Hi Leslie, thanks for sharing. What a great idea! Beautiful patterns and palettes. Oh, these mood boards are so lovely and inspiring, they melt my heart. I love stationary and nothing like creating your own!
    Marjory´s last blog post ..You are a flow system in the landscape. Flow, nature & space design

9. Joey Thomas commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:45am

Wow.. so inspiring. I love everything about this post. The colour theme, the feathers and the amazing wrapping paper. I’m heading to the website you recommended and buying myself some stamps and one of those gift tag cuts outs – brilliant ideas all round!

10. caroline @trend-daily commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:06am

What a really lovely post Leslie. I recently made some paper feathers-inspired by Pinterest too. Your lessons reminded me that I’m great at collecting my favourite images and then never doing anything with them. It’s so lovely trying out some crafting again. The colour palette is really gorgeous :-) caroline
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..Styling Details…

11. kirsty commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:47am

Oh I love all of this. The wrapping especially!
    kirsty´s last blog post ..A cute tshirt and Mr Goop

12. Desha Peacock commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 2:19am

Hi Leslie, I love what you did with this challenge, especially the stamped wrapping paper with feathers- you are SO creative!
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..Local Writer Exposes Brattleboro’s Real Ghosts

13. Yelle commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 2:57am

You are so very innovative! I love how you can see so much style and design in that one photo inspiration!
    Yelle´s last blog post ..Homemade Halloweens

14. michelle commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 3:31am

Hi Leslie,
    I love the greys with the pops of melon and how contemporary the spots in black and white are but also … how the kraft paper relaxes the colour palette.
    The paper feathers are adorable – I am certainly inspired to learn how to make them!
    I really enjoy visually …. how your styling is perfect but with an air of simplicity.
    Many thanks for sharing your extraordinary creativity.
    michelle

15. Michele S commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 4:16am

Leslie, I love the new idea of Holly giving you an “assignment” with a starting point. What a great idea to help us, in turn, try to apply your ideas in a practical way for ourselves!

And I’m excited to hear that you have been to Impress in Seattle. It’s a great rubber stamp store and they offer wonderfully inspiring classes (I’ve taken several over the years.)

Now, on to your post–fabulous, as usual. I love your photographs and spend a long time looking at each one, at every detail. So beautiful.

16. fenny setiawan commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 4:52am

I love the new little twist that you have in Color Me Pretty. It was a good idea indeed to try something from the images that inspired us and transform it into project/DIY. Lovely.

I also like the feather garland so much, I am gonna try it out.

17. Jessica Senti commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 6:43am

Inspiring as usual Leslie! I love the idea of using an inspiration image! It’s really fun seeing your creative process! :)

xo
    Jessica Senti´s last blog post ..{My Life} Inspiration Board Challenge Winner!

18. Yna commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 8:08am

Das ist ja alles ganz traumhaft. Die Federn gefallen mir supergut. Was für eine schöne Deko Idee. Und auf die Seite mit den Stempel n habe ich natürlich auch gleich gestürzt. :)
    Yna´s last blog post ..Smile

19. agnieszka n. commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 8:10am

Hello, wonderful jnspirations I find here, on your blog!! I stay;))
    Hugs for a new day:))

20. Anna commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 10:03am

It’s very nice!

21. Erika commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 11:40am

Aw, I absolutely love the feather garland!

xx,
    Erika

22. Inge commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:06pm

Those colors are beautiful and I love what you’ve done with them. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Inge´s last blog post ..Hello Etsy

23. Jutta commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:07pm

I’m in awe – again! Simply gorgeous!
    Jutta´s last blog post ..Old School Charts

24. Maria commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 12:20pm

Love you blog. Inspiring. Beautiful ideas!
    Maria´s last blog post ..Instants

25. Margarida commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 1:15pm

This is so inspiring :-)
    I love the colours.
    I love the paper feathers.
    I love the stamps.
    Margarida´s last blog post ..Let’s play scrabble?

26. Ella commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 2:52pm

Leslie,
    I love this!
    YOUR post has inspired an idea..
    Thank you so much!
    @>———-
    Ella´s last blog post ..Hallow’s Edge

27. mer commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 5:39pm

gorgeous Leslie! The feathers turned out fabulous. This remains one of my favorite color schemes of all time.

xo
    Mer

28. Heidi Dudley commented
    November 1st, 2012 at 6:13pm

Funny how the things you think about show up in your life! Yesterday I was thinking about how fall is so beautiful, yet the colors are not my favorite. How inspiring to see your new color & motif take on fall. Love it!! So pretty!
    Heidi Dudley´s last blog post ..Inspired by Fall’s Colorful Palette

29. Polly commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 12:36am

Ahhh I love love love these colours and those papercut feathers! x
    Polly´s last blog post ..Debbie Powell

30. Jupa commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 1:47am

Love it! so inspiring… what to make things

31. Pearls of Style commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 3:53am

So creative. I absolutely love the watercolour tags. Very inspired to try something out myself!
    Pearls of Style´s last blog post ..One Day. Why is relaxing so stressful?

32. carla commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 4:57am

Hi from Holland. A thank you to Holly to share her friends with us and thank you Leslie for the color you bring into this world.
    I am a “white” person but I really do love your work, i was looking at it with my mouth wide open.

33. Melanie Saucier commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 8:14am

I love that you mentioned reusing the grocery paper bags. I have tons of it and kept it waiting for the right project. Love this! And YES, it is a great idea and series.

34. Eleanor commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 10:22am

Such great ideas! What an inspirational post!

35. Anisley commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 11:31am

LOVE these projects!! Those invites are so cute!

36. Steph Kara commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 1:04pm

Lovely colour combo! Thanks for the inspiration !

37. Marloes commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 7:48pm

Lovely as always!

38. April Louise commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 8:49pm

I love everything about your gift wrap, the colour palette, the prints and handmade style! You’re so talented.
    April Louise´s last blog post ..Thumbnails

39. Wendy commented
    November 2nd, 2012 at 10:11pm

I particularly like the coral and tan / brown colors together in the white bookcase.

40. Catie commented
    November 3rd, 2012 at 1:09am

I found you thru Pinterest and I’m so inspired! I am such a sucker for polka dots, kraft and neon coral :) I’m very lucky to live in Seattle, so am headed to Impress ASAP. Those stamps are great! Next time you’re here, make sure you visit Uwajimaya which is amazing. The grocery store part is huge and the bookstore has tons of washi tape at great prices.
    Catie´s last blog post ..My biggest giveaway yet!

41. Leslie commented
    November 3rd, 2012 at 9:00am

Amazing as always! Fab combo and some great wrapping ideas.
    Leslie´s last blog post ..Life Instyle – Doing it for the kids!

42. Les Papiers commented
    November 5th, 2012 at 1:29pm

So cute! Love it!!!

43. KMP Modern commented
    November 6th, 2012 at 3:14am

something inspiring turned into a craft project or a home decor!…Love the idea… the black patterns are my favorite… great post!
    KMP Modern´s last blog post ..Modern architecture and Interiors for a New York, Ny house

44. Diane commented
    November 6th, 2012 at 3:27am

Amazing post Leslie! Love the feathers and the color palette you used.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

45. Fabric World commented
    November 6th, 2012 at 3:01pm

Je t’adore! Absolutely gorgeous colour palette and a very clever combination of colours that just work. I know some perfect fabrics that would look great with these colours too. the intricate detailing on the wrapped presents with the feathers are sublime and you have given me ideas for Christmas wrapping. Love your blog!
    Best, Sonia
    Fabric World´s last blog post ..Major new development underway in Bishopton

46. Olivia commented
    November 6th, 2012 at 3:35pm

Thanks for all this ideas !!! I’m lovin’
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Les perles en bois

47. Renee @ Rustic Crafts and Chic Decor commented
    November 6th, 2012 at 9:21pm

This is a fantastic idea! I love what you did with the wrapping. I am now going on a search for things that inspire me!
    Renee @ Rustic Crafts and Chic Decor´s last blog post ..Thanksgiving Centerpieces To Make Inexpensively

48. itziar commented
    November 7th, 2012 at 5:07pm

Wow! love the colors!
    Thanks for sharing this creative process… i wanna put my wrap papers in order!

49. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 7th, 2012 at 6:06pm

Just absolutely gorgeous hunnie! I LOVE this palette and love the inspiration behind it. Your interpretation is just spectacular….I want to create something with those feathers! LOVE! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

50. Chrystina commented
    November 13th, 2012 at 5:48pm

Such pretty packaging, I wouldn’t ever want to open it!
    Chrystina´s last blog post ..my very first car show

51. Nelly DUTARDE-GABARD commented
    January 12th, 2013 at 11:04am

MY ENGLIS IS TOO BAD TO TELL YOU OUR MY EYES WERE EXCITING DISCOVERING YOUR BLOG

THE PACKAGING IN THOSE COLOURS IS MARVELLOUS !

SO ! BRAVO !