Arts + Crafts

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

November 19, 2012

Hello friends! How are you and how was your weekend? I did some crafting on Saturday, in fact I shot a DIY for you this morning that I’ll share on decor8 in a moment but first…. When it comes to holiday decorating, do you want to go bold and graphic in black and white this year but wonder how to go about it or whether it will look festive enough? With most people going with red and green or the more traditional palette, why not dare to be different?

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Lynne Robinson from Papermash, an online site that sells stationery based in London, recently contacted me to share her decorating ideas using mostly products from her shop after being inspired by her monochromatic enthusiasts online and via Instagram, like @apieceofcake82 and @amerrymishap.

She had an idea to update a kit on her site too, “The make your own banner kit was recently changed to include lots of international symbols so I had the idea to make a Bon Noël banner and it all stemmed from there”. She would with photographers Charlotte Love and Lenka Ryan on these shots, which are just lovely! I think the “trick” to making them more festive was to add a little metallic – in this case gold warmed it up though you could also try silver to cool it down.

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black and white confetti (made with a simple paper punch) gets festive when you introduce a metallic – like gold!

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Use rubber stamps on kraft paper, spray paint plastic animals in glossy black, paint ornaments black and use white paint on them to create words or designs (I just thought that maybe you could try chalkboard paint on ornaments inside and use chalk to draw on them – fun!)… This is also cool because you can reuse some of your supplies from Halloween (black tissue paper for instance) for your holiday decor.

If this look is a bit TOO nontraditional for your holiday, you can decorate in black and white for New Year’s Eve – complete with your little black dress – how perfect and classy!

You can see more beauty on Lynne’s new blog HERE.

(images: Charlotte Love and Lenka Ryan)

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

• Reply Monsterscircus November 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

So so wonderful Christmas decorations! Love the graphic look, so inspirational, thank you and have a happy day :-)

• Reply Kerry Layton November 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love Papermash – Lynne stocks my tape in her shop in fact (the tape with the black triangles on in the picture). I’m a big monochrome fan too, so this is perfect :)

• Reply Kimberly November 19, 2012 at 5:08 pm

I actually like the black and white more than I thought I would, but I think I would have to add maybe just a touch of red. I especially love the look for gift wrapping! So chic.

• Reply Leen November 19, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Beautiful and very stylish this black and white Christmas decorations!

• Reply Michela November 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm

It isn’t too untraditional at all! I love Black & White Christmas decorations and I’m seriously thinking to turn everything in Black & white this year!
    Great Inspiration. Thanks Holly!
    Ciao
    Michela

• Reply Michela November 19, 2012 at 6:18 pm

It isn’t too untraditional at all! I love Black&White Christmas decorations and I’m seriously thinking to turn everything in Black&White this year!
    Great Inspiration! Thanks Holly.

• Reply mundart November 19, 2012 at 6:44 pm

WOW!

I love black and white – so cool.
    Especially the “Happy New Year”-bag.

Great great great..

• Reply Sophie Arcand November 19, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Beautiful!!! Unfortunatly the expression “Bon Noel” isn’t french at all, we say “Joyeux Noël”

• Reply Cindy November 19, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Black & White looks great!

• Reply Mervi (tasselflower) November 19, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Very cool. Silver and gold works great with black and white, so they form a perfect combination for Midwinter celebrations.

• Reply Martine November 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm

Very nice,. And always good black en white. Love these period of the year, sweet Greet, Martine.

• Reply Rebecca November 19, 2012 at 11:59 pm

The black and white theme is so chic and modern! It’s great to think out of the box for the holidays if we’re getting a little tired of the same old color schemes year after year.

• Reply ariel November 20, 2012 at 2:23 am

Black and white is a great color combo. It truly can add a great accent when you design your home. I love getting these kinds of color and design ideas when searching the internet. I usually get lots of ideas from Decorate, a huge help when I designed my own home.

• Reply Carrie Rowe November 20, 2012 at 3:58 am

This is beautiful. I love the black and white.

• Reply Jessica @ MrsDoll November 20, 2012 at 8:33 am

All of this is so beautiful and awesome! I love the clean & modern look of the monochrome colors, but the gold adds a nice warmth.

• Reply Lucianna Samu November 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

What a snappy collection! So graphic, classy and well done. Great job!

• Reply MMonk November 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Love the ideas here, roll on christmas!

• Reply Ivana @ Macarons and Pearls November 20, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Such an original Christmas decor! I love her beautiful stationery, I’m obsessed with the confetti, and I need to recreate that French garland! Perfect inspiration!

• Reply Shanon November 21, 2012 at 12:38 am

I have boxes of multicolored traditional glass blown ornaments, but once again I’m drawn to something more simple. This year I think I’m going to craft most of our ornaments (which is helpful, in that a 1 year old can touch them without hazard) out of chipboard, yarn, fabric, paper, glitter, pine cones, etc. I’m thinking creams, whites, natural colors, and a toned down gold and silver.

I’m feeling a bit guilty as a type all that, thinking that G would probably really enjoy all the bright colors, if I could only find a way to decorate one tree with all the normal hoopla. Maybe stick it in around corner, where it would become sort of like a surprise and a change from all the soft neutrals I’ll do everywhere else? Would that be odd? =)

• Reply :iomdragomcustom November 23, 2012 at 8:38 am

It’s really great! Thank you.

• Reply Katie November 23, 2012 at 9:06 pm

These pics are amazing! I love Papermash. The woman who runs it held a fun washi tape decoration event over the summer and it was such a fun event – so glad to see her featured on here!

• Reply shalini December 11, 2012 at 9:58 am

This is very creative and attractive. People who love black and white colors will surely love this. If more colors are included means it will be more attractive

• Reply jessica bell December 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I love your blog and your book I just order your new book.