Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Hello friends! How are you and how was your weekend? I did some crafting on Saturday, in fact I shot a DIY for you this morning that I’ll share on decor8 in a moment but first…. When it comes to holiday decorating, do you want to go bold and graphic in black and white this year but wonder how to go about it or whether it will look festive enough? With most people going with red and green or the more traditional palette, why not dare to be different?

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Lynne Robinson from Papermash, an online site that sells stationery based in London, recently contacted me to share her decorating ideas using mostly products from her shop after being inspired by her monochromatic enthusiasts online and via Instagram, like @apieceofcake82 and @amerrymishap.

She had an idea to update a kit on her site too, “The make your own banner kit was recently changed to include lots of international symbols so I had the idea to make a Bon Noël banner and it all stemmed from there”. She would with photographers Charlotte Love and Lenka Ryan on these shots, which are just lovely! I think the “trick” to making them more festive was to add a little metallic – in this case gold warmed it up though you could also try silver to cool it down.

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black and white confetti (made with a simple paper punch) gets festive when you introduce a metallic – like gold!

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Black & White Holiday Decorating Ideas

Use rubber stamps on kraft paper, spray paint plastic animals in glossy black, paint ornaments black and use white paint on them to create words or designs (I just thought that maybe you could try chalkboard paint on ornaments inside and use chalk to draw on them – fun!)… This is also cool because you can reuse some of your supplies from Halloween (black tissue paper for instance) for your holiday decor.

If this look is a bit TOO nontraditional for your holiday, you can decorate in black and white for New Year’s Eve – complete with your little black dress – how perfect and classy!

You can see more beauty on Lynne’s new blog HERE.

(images: Charlotte Love and Lenka Ryan)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on November 19, 2012

1. Monsterscircus commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:01pm

So so wonderful Christmas decorations! Love the graphic look, so inspirational, thank you and have a happy day :-)

2. Kerry Layton commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:03pm

I love Papermash – Lynne stocks my tape in her shop in fact (the tape with the black triangles on in the picture). I’m a big monochrome fan too, so this is perfect :)

3. Kimberly commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:08pm

I actually like the black and white more than I thought I would, but I think I would have to add maybe just a touch of red. I especially love the look for gift wrapping! So chic.
    Kimberly´s last blog post ..DIY Christmas (Stockings and ruffle tree skirt)

4. Leen commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:12pm

Beautiful and very stylish this black and white Christmas decorations!
    Leen´s last blog post ..Autumn

5. Michela commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 5:56pm

It isn’t too untraditional at all! I love Black & White Christmas decorations and I’m seriously thinking to turn everything in Black & white this year!
    Great Inspiration. Thanks Holly!
    Ciao
    Michela

6. Michela commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 6:18pm

It isn’t too untraditional at all! I love Black&White Christmas decorations and I’m seriously thinking to turn everything in Black&White this year!
    Great Inspiration! Thanks Holly.

7. mundart commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 6:44pm

WOW!

I love black and white – so cool.
    Especially the “Happy New Year”-bag.

Great great great..

8. Sophie Arcand commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 8:37pm

Beautiful!!! Unfortunatly the expression “Bon Noel” isn’t french at all, we say “Joyeux Noël”

9. Cindy commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 10:45pm

Black & White looks great!
    Cindy´s last blog post ..Toonkamer

10. Mervi (tasselflower) commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 11:29pm

Very cool. Silver and gold works great with black and white, so they form a perfect combination for Midwinter celebrations.
    Mervi (tasselflower)´s last blog post ..Empty (Mustaa ja valkoista 138) and the Weekly Wrapup

11. Martine commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 11:59pm

Very nice,. And always good black en white. Love these period of the year, sweet Greet, Martine.

12. Rebecca commented
    November 19th, 2012 at 11:59pm

The black and white theme is so chic and modern! It’s great to think out of the box for the holidays if we’re getting a little tired of the same old color schemes year after year.
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Ways to Give Thanks for the Holidays

13. ariel commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 2:23am

Black and white is a great color combo. It truly can add a great accent when you design your home. I love getting these kinds of color and design ideas when searching the internet. I usually get lots of ideas from Decorate, a huge help when I designed my own home.

14. Carrie Rowe commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 3:58am

This is beautiful. I love the black and white.
    Carrie Rowe´s last blog post ..thankful chalkboards

15. Jessica @ MrsDoll commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 8:33am

All of this is so beautiful and awesome! I love the clean & modern look of the monochrome colors, but the gold adds a nice warmth.

16. Lucianna Samu commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 12:11pm

What a snappy collection! So graphic, classy and well done. Great job!

17. MMonk commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 3:59pm

Love the ideas here, roll on christmas!

18. Ivana @ Macarons and Pearls commented
    November 20th, 2012 at 6:02pm

Such an original Christmas decor! I love her beautiful stationery, I’m obsessed with the confetti, and I need to recreate that French garland! Perfect inspiration!
    Ivana @ Macarons and Pearls´s last blog post ..Ideas to steal: Pastel harmony

19. Shanon commented
    November 21st, 2012 at 12:38am

I have boxes of multicolored traditional glass blown ornaments, but once again I’m drawn to something more simple. This year I think I’m going to craft most of our ornaments (which is helpful, in that a 1 year old can touch them without hazard) out of chipboard, yarn, fabric, paper, glitter, pine cones, etc. I’m thinking creams, whites, natural colors, and a toned down gold and silver.

I’m feeling a bit guilty as a type all that, thinking that G would probably really enjoy all the bright colors, if I could only find a way to decorate one tree with all the normal hoopla. Maybe stick it in around corner, where it would become sort of like a surprise and a change from all the soft neutrals I’ll do everywhere else? Would that be odd? =)
    Shanon´s last blog post ..recently…

20. :iomdragomcustom commented
    November 23rd, 2012 at 8:38am

It’s really great! Thank you.

21. Katie commented
    November 23rd, 2012 at 9:06pm

These pics are amazing! I love Papermash. The woman who runs it held a fun washi tape decoration event over the summer and it was such a fun event – so glad to see her featured on here!
    Katie´s last blog post ..Winter plants for the windowsill

22. shalini commented
    December 11th, 2012 at 9:58am

This is very creative and attractive. People who love black and white colors will surely love this. If more colors are included means it will be more attractive
    shalini´s last blog post ..Types Of Wood

23. jessica bell commented
    December 19th, 2012 at 10:25pm

I love your blog and your book I just order your new book.