Home Tours

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

December 13, 2012

I was reading a favorite blog of mine that belongs to my friend Yvonne called Yvestown. Do you know this blog? If you’ve been hiding under a rock and haven’t, it’s time to know about Yvestown. This blog is such a pretty one and the blogger, Yvonne, is a very talented lady who loves to decorate and photograph her home for all to see on the “pages” of her fabulous site. Look at her gorgeous home…

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

I really love looking at what she’s photographed from day-to-day, her photos are captivating and since I’ve been in her home I can tell you first hand that it’s as beautiful as her photos show it to be.

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

I thought that since Yvonne is really into the holidays that you may like to see corners of her home as she did a lovely job decorating it for Christmas this year. I also spent some time having a chat with her this morning and asked some questions about her approach to the holidays AND what goals she has for the new year so below find an excerpt from our tea and chat. She has even included a free download so you can make the white houses shown below for your tea lights. I do hope that you enjoy it!

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

Houses download
Roofs download

“Download the templates and print them on 220-250 grams A4 sized paper. Cut out the templates and fold and glue where needs folding and gluing (instructions can be found on the template). Place a tea light in them and ta-da. Please be careful with paper and fire, I can not be held responsible for when your paper house burns down or your own house.” – Yvonne.

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

Christmas in Belgium Home Tour

decor8: What does Christmas mean to you, Yvonne?
Yvestown: That I can do all that I love all year round, like cooking, decorating and entertaining, completely over the top with glitter, twinkle lights and red nose reindeers included.

decor8: What doesn’t Christmas mean to you?

Yvestown: I’m an atheist so Christmas doesn’t mean the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ to me. It’s an arbitrary day when all the people I love are off work and we get together to be together.

decor8: What three dream items would you love to be gifted with this year?
Yvonne: A Ferm Living wire basket medium in yellow, a Diptyque rose candle because they smell amazing, and the cookery book What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits and Pieces.

decor8: What are some special things that you do with your family and friends this time of year?
Yvonne: Where I come from we celebrate Christmas on the 25th and 26th. Traditionally we go to my parents in law on the first day of Christmas and on the second we spend time with my part of the family. That varies as my sister runs a restaurant and my mother lives miles away. This year we might end up having dinner with friends instead.

decor8: What will you do on Christmas?
Yvonne: We eat, exchange presents and we play a massive amount of board games.

decor8: What is your favorite food to eat this time of year and why?
Yvonne: It’s turkey with cranberry sauce and yorkshire puddings with Christmas gravy as it’s so traditional.

decor8: What memory do you associate with Christmas the most?
Yvonne: I’ve inherited the Christmas gene from my mother. One year she insisted on having real candles in a real tree. My father was in agony and had a bucket of sand and water installed next to the tree. It was just so hilarious as they were arguing about something so silly as candles in a tree. They brought such a warmth to me and my siblings during Christmas and I’m so thankful for that.

decor8: New Year’s Resolutions! What are your goals for 2013 as a blogger and with your business?
Yvonne: I want to be more serious as a blogger, not something I do as an eight hours a day side job. I want to start acknowledging that I’m now a full-time blogger and that I should take myself serious.

So bloggers, what does Christmas mean to you? Would you like to answer any of the questions above and tell us?

(images: yvonne from yvestown)

You Might Also Like

48 Comments

• Reply Melanie December 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm

So gorgeous!!! Merry, Merry!

• Reply FrauSchmitt December 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I just saw her pictures on Pinterest this morning and thought they were adorable. I love the Christmas tree and the candle holders on the mantlepiece. Yvonne’s style is perfect. It’s interesting to read that she wants to spend more time blogging since that’s my personal goal for 2013 too.

• Reply Hollie@MiaFleur December 13, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Such a gorgeous house and blog! I hadn’t heard of Yvestown before, but I’m so glad I have now, thanks Holly!

• Reply Annette December 13, 2012 at 5:16 pm

love love love all the pictures. The one with the tree on the car.. adorable!!!

• Reply Chloe Moon December 13, 2012 at 5:44 pm

What a lovely decorated home! I’m going to go check out her blog right now! I love that she has the car w/ the lil tree on it! So cute!

• Reply Juliette December 13, 2012 at 6:42 pm

I love her blog, so it’s fun to see her lovely home here again, too!

Next year I plan to take my blog more seriously as well. There was too much going on this year with all our travels and work, but I think a DSLR will be showing up under the tree and I’ve already planned a blog design revamp early next year during a slow season with my work. I’m looking forward to some polish and shine in 2013!

• Reply Esther December 13, 2012 at 7:09 pm

Personally, I am more of a ‘Sinterklaas’ person so all my love and DIY goes to this Dutch traditional holiday in the beginning of December. Christmas is good as I have some days off and so does my husband. This year we’re going away over Christmas, for the first time ever. We’re hoping for hills, hikes and lots of glühwein by the fire. No one does Weihnacht better than the Germans!
    Esther.

• Reply Igor December 13, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Oh thanks for this interview, Holly. I love Yvonne and I can’t wait to meet her next year! Hugs to both of you!

• Reply lindsay December 13, 2012 at 7:35 pm

HEy! Where is the rig from…under dining table in first pic? Thanks!

• Reply Siloseando December 13, 2012 at 7:40 pm

wow! I love all the pictures!

• Reply Andreia December 13, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Ivonne’s home is so sweet!

Love the wool in the basket!

• Reply Kimberly December 13, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I always find it quite hypocritical for atheists to celebrate Christmas.

• Reply decor8 December 13, 2012 at 9:37 pm

@kimberley – loads of non-Christians celebrate Christmas – look at a bulk of Asia for instance and Turkey – my Turkish friends are Muslim and celebrate it. I have Jewish friends who celebrate Christmas along with Hanukkah. I think it boils down to people wanting to belong to this universal idea of family, joy, peace, equality and love and for many, Christmas brings that and everyone has a right to their beliefs, customs and culture. To each his own, right?

• Reply Martine | WAHM. Wife. Blogging Belle. December 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I love her home! So simple, yet quirky and girly all at the same time. Love it, and love her decorations. We’ve got our Christmas decorations up, too, and I think they’re pretty sweet, but Yvonne’s little car with the Christmas tree stop is just killing! I adore it! <3

• Reply Scandi Coast Home December 13, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I completely love Yvonne’s home……it truly is gorgeous.
    I loved everything about it……Tania xx

• Reply Magda December 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I love this little car holding a minature xmas tree, so cute!

• Reply Alison @Brocantehome December 13, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Oh heavens my two favorite bloggers in one place! I feel as if we grew up together in the olden days of blogging and it is so wonderful to see the two of you doing so incredibly well…

My New Year blogging resolution is the same as Yvonnes… I want to start taking myself and my business more seriously…

Have a wonderful Christmas Holly!x

• Reply itziar December 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm

WOW
    love those inspiring pictures

• Reply Kimberly December 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

Then let them celebrate Thanksgiving.

• Reply Kelly December 13, 2012 at 10:03 pm

First, I am a big fan of Yvonne’s and would love to come see her place all decked out for Christmas! You asked what Christmas means to us. For me, it may be cheesy, but it is all about love – a love first expressed by God – and a love which I gladly extend to friends + family who celebrate (and believe) all sorts of things. My favorite part of the whole season is the Christmas Eve candlelight service when we all sing Silent Night. It heals my heart every time. @decor8 – would love to hear your answers!

• Reply Marianne December 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I love Yvonne’s blog! I agree with your comment to Kimberley. If more people thought like that there would be less war and violence.

• Reply mel mccarthy December 13, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Such a lovely home! Thanks also for the lovely house template. (Thought I’d share a little tip for lighting them: I find that little glass tealight cups usually fit in things like this & make it feel a tiny bit safer).

• Reply Kristin Johnsen December 13, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thanks for sharing, Holly – I LOVE the tree “strapped” to the model car….I have a model T-bird My hubby bought me a couple of years ago, and some bottle brush trees – PERFECT idea for my home!!!

• Reply Judith December 14, 2012 at 1:19 am

@decor8: Exactly! I think everyone should celebrate their own idea of christmas (or any other festive holiday really). Especially when it’s about celebrating universal values like family, peace, joy, love, light any occasion is good. This world could use a little bit more love every now and then :)

• Reply Shalagh Hogan December 14, 2012 at 3:59 am

Yvonne does share Holly’s design sensibilities. More white but lots of pastel girly. And she makes it look easy as well. The paper chain above caught my eye. Merry Christmas to all, whatever your reason for decorating, tis’ the season for the creation I say.
    Love,
    Shalagh

• Reply Stephanie December 14, 2012 at 6:18 am

Madly, madly, madly in love with this home. So cozy, colorful, and happy. And adore the holiday cheer throughout.

• Reply Melissa J December 14, 2012 at 6:47 am

Holly, I recently bought some ‘electric’ (battery powered) tea lights from IKEA. They would be perfect for the paper houses – no flame!
    melissa.x

• Reply isa December 14, 2012 at 10:01 am

magnique la décoration de Noel de cette maison !!!
    C’est si beau !!!

• Reply Julia December 14, 2012 at 11:42 am

That is such a beautiful home! I love it!

• Reply Lela December 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ve been following Yvestown for quite some time now and I’m always very happy about every single new post she publishes. It’s really a beautiful blog!

• Reply Ashley Lorelle December 14, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Everything is so bright and cheerful! I love it.

• Reply Trish December 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

First let me say this, I have always marvelled at Yvonne’s design sensibilities! I can honestly say that she has probably influenced the world of design forever with her lovely white walls & all that….well….cuteness! Honestly, how many design books have you been featured in??? :) Holly, I read the comments here and was disheartened a bit as sadly the infuence was put on her decision to be Atheist. As a Christian myself, I would NEVER begrudge anyone from celebrating with merry decorations & family togetherness. I tried walking away from commenting here this morning (went got a cup of coffee, and as I did… heard that still small voice, so I’m doing as I’m inspired) Yvonne, although our beliefs differ…I am constantly amazed at your aweseomess!! :) Your talent is truly amazing, and I for one am excited to see what you will do next! I hope you will enjoy your Christmas with your family and friends this year and that your blogging will take you to new and wonderful places in 2013. I am happy to call you a fellow friend and aquaintance through Flickr, blogging etc….and I hope you know that many Christians believe as I do. I would be remiss if I didn’t say we would love to show everyone the miracle of Christmas for what it really is….but I’ve never been one to shove anything down someone’s throat. I hope that there are others reading these comments who would agree with me….but if not that’s ok. I’ve taken the risk to comment…and now I’ll leave it as it lies. Sorry for leaving such a ginormous comment Holly…I hope it bodes well with you ;) Christmas Blessings from the bottom of my heart!
    T.
    x

• Reply decor8 December 14, 2012 at 5:33 pm

@Trish – only one comment was left about Yvonne’s faith – I don’t think anyone cares either way – I certainly don’t – so don’t worry!

• Reply Tonya December 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love Yvonnes home but I stopped following her blog when she twice deleted all her previous posts without a thought for her audience.

• Reply Vero P December 14, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I love this time of the year for the opportunity of dressing your home with many nice details… but also because I am catholic and the birth of Jesus is the beginning of something HUGE for the ones we believe! As I said today in my blog, the most important “deco” objetc in Xmas is the Belen (ups I do not know exactly the word in English but I guess you will understand) as nobody would have the change to put stars, lights and all that stuff without that miracle in Belen!
    Anyway, it is a nice opportunity to everybody to gather with family and friends and to wish peace and love for this sometimes crazy world!
    and now, I’m going to Yvestown! Christmas Greetings from Argentina!

• Reply Jutta December 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Lovely! The little car carrying a christmas tree made me smile. I had a very strong opinion about our christmas tree having only traditional red, white and golden ornaments, but after seeing Yvonne’s tree I might have to change my mind… :)

• Reply Angela December 16, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Beautiful home, love the pink paper chains!

• Reply Hanna December 16, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Thanks for sharing this beautiful blog! I want to move into her house now…

• Reply fenny setiawan December 17, 2012 at 3:53 am

Love Yvonne’s blog and home, followed her for few years already. Amazing styles and funny personality, love the way she writes on her blog.

My blog are currently load by Christmas posts :). I have several gathering held at my home with close friends to celebrate Christmas. For me Christmas is a blessing celebration because of Jesus was born and be savior. It is a season of Joy,

In Malaysia, it is a Muslim country but the Christmas atmosphere is huge here. Everywhere decorates with massive Christmas tree and fake snow :). Hotels are offers scrumptious Christmas buffet with imported turkey and glaze ham. So you really can feel that everyone regardless what religion are, they really enjoy the festive season.

Marry Christmas to you and Yvonne :). Xo.

• Reply Heather December 17, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Oh my. I just love the colour palette used in this room. Simply stunning. I love it. Heather

• Reply Aline December 17, 2012 at 7:55 pm

To me Christmas means the birth of Jesus Christ reminding us to let love grows in our heart and soul. A happy date to celebrate with family and loving ones!

• Reply ombre December 17, 2012 at 11:37 pm

• Reply ellomennopee December 21, 2012 at 10:35 am

Seriously, don’t leave those paper houses unattended, or buy electric fairy lights. I’ve witnessed a fire originating from paper around a candle.

• Reply Liondra December 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Meu tipo de receita favorita: fácil, leve e deliciosa. Adorei!

• Reply Simon Food Favourites January 3, 2013 at 10:02 am

Lovely decor. I wish my place looked like this at Christmas time, or any time for that matter.

• Reply Anne November 20, 2013 at 10:50 am

I really love your houses with tea candles, but unfortunaly the links for the instructions and patterns are brokes. Could you help me please. I like to do that with my son. And sorry for my very bad English, I’m french !
    Anne

• Reply Elvira December 15, 2014 at 10:41 am

Love the houses, but unfortunately both the links are broken. I get a 404-message.
    Can you solve the problem please? Tnx!

• Reply Home Decorating Blog December 20, 2014 at 2:18 pm