Color Inspiration

Pops of Yellow with zEST

January 24, 2013

Est magazine is zESTY! I went through a bunch of their gorgeous issues recently and found the most delicious tones of yellow! I’ve collected some of my favorites below to show a little love for yellow today simply because I need this color currently  – it’s been so gray and miserable outside for several weeks – where is the sun? Where is that golden orb that gives me so much energy!? I can’t wait until the sun shines again but until it does, let us focus on the color yellow hoping it does the trick. :)

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Pops of Yellow with zEST

Yellow in small doses can really lift a room visually but most importantly, lift the emotions. Yellow is energizing and optimistic. It can also be mellow and relaxing depending on the tone. It’s a fun color to experiment with in the home and in your wardrobe. Mix in a little metallic while you’re at it too – brass and gold is a great start.

I added a bunch of yellow tulips to my desk today and it definitely improved my mood in addition to watching The Lumineers sing Ho Hey though I always want to call the song, “Hey, Ho!” just for giggles. :)

(images:est mag)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Judith January 24, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Yellow is one of THE colors in our home. It’s so cheerful and makes me feel at home immediately. Our yellow is a little less zESTy, but a little more like sunflower-yellow. Works just as good :)

• Reply Chloe Moon January 24, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I agree! Pops of yellow totally make my day! I love daffodils so whenever I see them in the store I pick them up! I also have a similar desk lamp in a pastel yellow on my desk that I just love! =)

• Reply Elisa January 24, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I can especially appreciate happy pops of yellow in the cold months of winter. BRRRRR!

• Reply Marjory January 24, 2013 at 8:21 pm

Lovely! I have been feeling attracted to yellow lately and even created a board named ‘yellow love’ on pinterest. Appreciate the yellow splashes/accents in these spaces. Nothing like the unique burst of energy yellow gives to any moment, space, mood. Thanks.

• Reply Lauren January 24, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I agree- pops of yellow are just the thing to cheer up a gray day. I love this feature that A Blog About Love did on yellow recently:
    I’ve been listening to The Lumineers today too! I just got their album and can’t get enough :)

• Reply Inge January 24, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I was thinking the same thing all week long! Where did the sun go? It’s so boring and grey, a bit depressing actually. And I definitely agree with you: yellow is such an uplifting colour. I immediately got happy just by looking at your favourite pictures here!
    But today I won’t be needing any yellow (flowers) in my home, because I’m already happy… Your book Decorate Workshop just arrived in my mail! YAAAAYYY!!! :) I’m excited, like a kid in a candy store… and I’d better run now since I’ve got some reading to do! ;)

• Reply decor8 January 25, 2013 at 12:34 am

@Inge – That is great, I hope that you enjoy it and read every word and that it brings you sunshine and ideas! :) xoxo

• Reply Stephanie Nelson January 24, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Yellow really is such a wonderful addition to any space – delightful, light, warm and inspiring. I don’t think there could be a better combination! I love the yellow desk lamp, the mix of yellow, auburn and neutrals in the picture behind it expand the warmth throughout the room.

• Reply lei January 24, 2013 at 9:42 pm

i love that parrot painting! oh my goodness. any idea who the artist is or where i can get one (if it’s a print)? thanks!

• Reply paola January 24, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Hi Holly, nice post!!
    hey, do you know where the dinning room chairs from the last picture came from?

We have a big oak table (seats 12 ), very bold and straight lines and I am looking for chairs for it… these ones look like something I might like…

• Reply sarah k January 24, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Love the color and gray combination. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Igor January 25, 2013 at 12:45 am

Yellow is simply a hue that screams happiness, right? I have a cheerful yellow sidetable that I dearly love:-) It’s like sunshine in my home!

• Reply Michelle January 25, 2013 at 12:59 am

Beautiful inspiration here on your blog : ) We usually have lots of sun here in Brisbane Australia but at the moment it is a bit grey too. The next few days will be rain and overcast weather. . . When it comes back I will try and send some sunshine your way too ….

I also just received your book Decorate Workshop in the post, I was so excited when it came. I have a sparkly black glitter notebook with a pocket in it from Typo that will be perfect for the writings and clippings you encourage in the book… I love your book already and I think it is even better than Decorate – if that’s possible – which I also have and love.

• Reply decor8 January 25, 2013 at 1:20 pm

@Michelle – THANK YOU so much, it is so encouraging to hear that!!!

• Reply Sheila January 25, 2013 at 1:34 am

Absolutely gorge!

• Reply Jeanne January 25, 2013 at 1:58 am

You hit it right on the nail! I too, can only do yellow in small doses, but when I use it, it’s gotta be that perfect bright, saturated yellow – like a ripe lemon begging to be squeezed!

• Reply Jessica @ The Tiny Abode January 25, 2013 at 2:28 am

“Hey Ho!”

I mean, “Ho, Hey!” I love that song!

Thanks for reminding us that the sun can still shine in the depths of winter, and thanks for humoring me. :)

• Reply Est Magazine January 25, 2013 at 2:59 am

Thanks Holly, great to view these delightful images once again. We are so excited about Issue #8 launching next week – there is just so much goodness to share.
    Stay warm!

• Reply Rachel January 25, 2013 at 3:14 am

i LOVE yellows! and i love accents of yellow in a home! there’s something about that tone that makes you smile!

• Reply Neila January 25, 2013 at 4:36 am

Fresh and cool. Does anyone know where that flamingo is from? I seriously want one!! Any help is most appreciated :)

• Reply Karena January 25, 2013 at 5:19 am

Holly I so agree! I would love to upholster a small piece in yellow velvet!
    You have brightened my day!

New 2013 Artists Series

• Reply christine e-e January 25, 2013 at 5:48 am

you are correct! that spot of citrus yellow really “punches” up the mood of each room. love-ly!!

• Reply jackie January 25, 2013 at 5:58 am

I’m in love with that grey upholstered chair and ottoman with the wooden legs. Who makes it/Where could I find it?

• Reply Laurence W January 25, 2013 at 7:43 am

I have never considered putting some yellow in my home because I didn’t really like this colour but since I read your post I’ve changed my mind. “Yellow in small doses” is what I like and need. Thanks for your precious advice!

• Reply Pilar January 25, 2013 at 7:48 am

I love yellow! i used to hate it, but I really find it a very “happy” colour :)

• Reply Mon Sparkles January 25, 2013 at 8:47 am

One word: Flamingo!

I am going to search high and low this weekend for a flamingo statute!

Have you seen any floating about? (either that size or smaller scale)

• Reply Iwona January 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm

Very interesting post!!! I greet:)

• Reply stephanie @ Baba Souk January 25, 2013 at 2:40 pm

This punch of yellow is needed right now. Here in Canada it is freezing cold! Thanks for this little piece of sunshine. xx

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} January 25, 2013 at 2:50 pm

pops of yellow really do brighten up a room — and i am absolutely loving the gorgeous spaces you are featuring.

• Reply Inge January 25, 2013 at 4:05 pm

@decor8: I did go to sleep very late last night since I couldn’t put away your book! So funny: when I woke up this morning and I saw your book on my nightstand I immediately got happy again! :-) I haven’t read every single word yet but I will. And how come I never thought of the simple but clever idea of keeping a mini mood-book where you also can jot down measurements of small spaces that still need redecorating? I LOVE that idea!!! Great book Holly!! Congratulations!

• Reply Laura Gaskill January 25, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Oh YES! I am in desperate need of some sunshine, er, yellow! It’s been hovering around 6 degrees daily here in New England, and I cannot wait for spring! Thanks for the cheering up! :) xo Laura

• Reply Bee January 25, 2013 at 7:47 pm

YAY! Yellow and grey was definitely one of my favourite trends emerging at the recent Home and Maison &Objet shows! The contrast of the bright yellows with the charcoals is surprisingly quite… gorgeous (!) and throwing in some of the soft greys to really warms it up a bit.

Love some of the geometric patterns on the canvases above too – quite the contemporary statement…just need to decide if i’m brave enough now :)

Might have to start with the yellow tulips too!

• Reply Bee January 25, 2013 at 7:48 pm

@paola: if you find out please do share!!

• Reply Rose January 25, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Hi Holly – wow it has been quite a while since I last chatted via a comment. I was intrigued by your comment about the grayness of your winter weather. It took me back to wet, cold chilly winters here in Cape Town seem to stretch out forever. You just cannot wait for the sun to begin showing up again. Maybe you should consider taking a break next winter down here in Cape Town, where it is so lovely and sunny at this time of the year. Sending you loads of sunshine and happy thoughts.

• Reply Moniquee Sobocinski January 25, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love your blog and can’t wait to follow you. . .please connect me.. .your workshop and office are especially wonderful

• Reply Jessica Nichols January 26, 2013 at 1:36 am

I agree about the bright yellow this time of year, it really lifts my mood and energy. I happened to buy yellow tulips today myself for this very reason, what a coincidence. I also created a pinboard and named it “Visual Vitamin D.” It cheers me up so much.

• Reply Est Magazine January 26, 2013 at 3:01 am

@Neila: Hi Nelia, This flamingo was found at “Puces de Saint Michel” flea market in Bordeaux, so she is a little bit rare. Try bird taxidermy specialists for recreations. eg. x x Lynda

• Reply Est Magazine January 26, 2013 at 3:24 am

@jackie: Hi Jackie, This is an Australian made and designed 1951 Grant Featherston Contour Chair and Ottoman, R160. You can either buy new from Gordon Mather Industries or sometimes you can find vintage ones here x x Lynda

• Reply pouted January 26, 2013 at 9:01 am

yellow color is a shiny color and inspiration with vitality in our life and it can change the mode

• Reply Lauren @ girl and the abode January 26, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Gosh I love the color yellow. Such a warm and cheerful color. I have a yellow bed cover in our room, and it makes me happy every time I see it. I absolutely love the iron bed with that gorgeous yellow spread! Great interiors all around!

• Reply Holly (Love,Thomas) January 26, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Hi Holly! Love this post. I usually stick to neutrals at home, but lately I have also been loving a touch of yellow here and there. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. If the weather in Hannover is anything like it is over here in snowy Delft, keep warm!! xoxo

• Reply Katrin January 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I am a big fan of your blog and I love your ideas! Though, I’ve never, never thought that yellow can be such an amazing colours. Maybe it will be part of my home, soon :)) Thanks so much for the inspiration!!!

• Reply Suzie | PalazzoPizzo January 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Yellow is the new orange.
    I noted that in fashion, especially handbags recently. Shiny yellow, full of energy, like the sun.

• Reply Amberly January 28, 2013 at 4:50 am

Before I comment on the photos, if you haven’t already, you must listen to the song “Stubborn Love.” I was obsessed with Ho, Hey and now I’m obsessed with this one! So good!

Onto the color… I love these pops of yellow. That Bally artwork is absolutely fantastic and I love the idea of bringing yellow flowers into the room. I may just have to buy some tomorrow. ;) Great post!

• Reply krishka studio January 29, 2013 at 8:42 am

great testament to yellow!!!!

• Reply Rose @ Stylista Mama January 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Gorgeous post! I love that Bally print – would love to know what it’s called and where to buy…

• Reply Est Magazine February 4, 2013 at 9:30 am

We love this artwork too by Australian artist Miranda Skoczek .@lei:

• Reply Est Magazine February 8, 2013 at 12:43 am

@paola: Hi Paola The beautiful grey dining chairs are Billiani “Doll” chairs by Italian designer Emilio Nanni They are stocked by Hub Furniture in Australia