Cartas De Amor – Love Letters

What a great afternoon I had! Let me tell you what I did. First, I stressed out a little because I realized I have a few looming deadlines I’d forgotten (oops!) and, instead of working on them, I had to stick with my appointment this afternoon because there was no way I was going to cancel it… Then (the fun part), I spent 5 hours with my film instructor, Christopher, shooting and working on editing a short film we made in my work studio about the simple pleasures of reading a good book and enjoying a cup of tea. I’m not going to show it all (sorry, we didn’t finish it) but it came out really good and if you’d like, you can watch some of it on Vine if you follow me there (@decor8).

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Sounds simple, but there is so much that goes in to making a really good film – it’s absolutely the coolest thing to really LEARN. If you want to convey emotion and lots of love (at least if that’s what you’re going for) without having it look boring or too corporate-y, you really have to shoot with your heart. Thankfully, he is exceptionally patient and talented because I didn’t feel for a second like I was going to fall asleep – just the opposite – when it was time for him to wrap up I felt like I could have gone on learning for many hours more. It felt good to just give myself 5 hours “off” (no guilt!) from the normal routine to absorb all he had to teach me.

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Later this week, we’ll go on a field trip to a film studio to work some more — I feel like I’m learning so much. I have no clue what I will do in the end with this education but I’m not learning with any “goal”, no big picture in mind, no end result. I’m simply learning because I’ve always wanted to learn about video production and editing and finally found the time to do it but also the person to teach me. I’ve been thinking more and more about doing a little video here and there for decor8 and my e-classes, so this is also inspiring me in that direction. But again, no big planning or new career direction. Just having some fun. It’s vital to do things that we love, just because we love them.

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Speaking of LOVE, this lovely e-mag that Jen Ramos from Made By Girl just released is LOVELY. It’s called, Cartas De Amor, or Love Letters in English. It’s a collection of personal handwritten love letters from the heart from Jennifer and 17 of her closest blogging pals. It’s really sweet and personal and I think Jen did a really nice job on it and hope she does more e-mags it’s nice to see her eye directing a magazine! To view the entire mag, click here.

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Cartas De Amor - Love Letters

Which reminds me… February 14th is just around the corner – I’m cooking for my family and friends and then we’re all going out to see a concert so it will be a very nice day. What will you do on V day?

(images: jen ramos)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on February 11, 2013

1. Lauren commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 9:13pm

“It’s vital to do things that we love, just because we love them.”- Couldn’t agree more!
    For Valentine’s Day, I am picking up something fun for dinner from Whole Foods and then hanging out with my husband. We may watch ‘Groundhog Day’ because we didn’t get a chance to ON Groundhog Day and it’s one of our favorite movies. Or we may just chat :)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..fancy thumb tacks

2. andriana commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 9:15pm

First of all, doing what you love just because, is the coolest thing! Blogging is like that for me… no end result, no specific target, just sharing what I love!

Secondly, I have never been a fan of Valentine’s day… I much rather prefer the spontaneous, the unexpected than the ‘must-celebrate-your-love-today-because-I-say-so’…. Having said that, I understand those that need an excuse. Have fun. Love. :)
    andriana´s last blog post ..περήφανοι

3. Chloe Moon commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 9:52pm

I have to check out Made by Girl’s Cartas De Amor!! I love reading love letters!!! =) I need to write mine to my boyfriend soon!!! =)
    Chloe Moon´s last blog post ..Living Together + Cupcakes…

4. Amberly commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:21pm

I love the idea of learning how to make a film full of “love.” I’m so curious about what you’re learning, I’ll have to check out some of your video clips. You also have reminded me that I want to get back into documenting through video. My friends and I did this on college and had so much fun with it, but I really haven’t done much recording since. I really need to try out the Vine app! It would be a good start. :)

I also loved Jen’s Valentine magazine! It was so impressive visually and in content. You can’t help but feel happy after looking through it. She is so creative and has such a big heart, I hope she does more pieces like that.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you Holly!
    Amberly´s last blog post ..A Beerthday Getaway to Bend, Oregon!

5. Dee commented
    February 11th, 2013 at 11:46pm

Great collection of books and images!
    Dee´s last blog post ..Touch of whimsy

6. Loretta Fontaine commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 2:35am

Holly – How exciting to see you branch out into more video. I have to tell you your new book DECORATE is on my nightstand – I am adoring it.

I love the international flair and there is something special I couldn’t put my finger on. Then I realized all the photographs were shot just for the book and that was it! An amazing consistency in the “vision” of the images. A lot of work for those photographs and worth it! Beautiful! I can’t wait to finish the book!

Loretta

7. Althea Young commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 8:03am

Valentine is just around the corner!I hope that I can have Cartas De Amor this 14. I hope so.But anyways sounds you had a good day working with your short film. Keep it up.

8. Rachel commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 11:09am

I don’t know how you manage to squeeze all these activities and still find time to blog. I’m amazed!

I’m excited to see Jen’s mag. I have been following her blog for quite some time now and it’s cool knowing that her blog has evolved, like an online mag with different contributors.
    Rachel´s last blog post ..Blog Hug: A Beautiful Mess

9. Jen Ramos commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 2:43pm

Holly, I’m so grateful that you decided to share this ” love letters” project with your readers, thank you. We’ve been working on this for weeks, & wow, it was NOT easy! But I knew I had to keep going as the letters were so beautiful & I knew others would appreciate it!
    Love isn’t just meant to be shared on vday, but everyday.
    Thanks for the support & happy vday to you & ur family! ?

Ps that reminds me I should get a card for my mom- it’s not something I’ve done on vday, but your mention of spending time with ur family put that thought in my heart. ?

10. decor8 commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 3:24pm

@Jen – You’re welcome! xo

11. Fay commented
    February 12th, 2013 at 4:49pm

Beautiful cupcakes and love the hot pink, it never goes out!

12. Desiree {CHIC COASTAL LIVING} commented
    February 13th, 2013 at 5:13am

I absolutely loved the magazine!! So awesome!
    Desiree {CHIC COASTAL LIVING}´s last blog post ..Corona del Mar Beach Home