Inspiration

Claire Cottrell’s Serene Home

March 14, 2013

I really enjoy reading Berlin-based website Freunde von Freunden because they bring you back to the real world without overly styled homes and Pinterest perfection. The homes they feature belong to creatives around the world and it’s pretty inspiring to catch glimpses into so many interesting apartments and homes from Berlin to LA and back again. A home that I really connected with recently belongs to online book shop owner, the talented Claire Cottrell who lives in Los Angeles. Though she had just moved in when her home was photographed for this feature, I loved how things were arranged so simply with gentle, gorgeous light caressing every corner. The plants made me happy too.

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

I’m IN LOVE with her kitchen. The stove, the mint green cabinets, that PACE monochromatic floral print. Ah. This photo makes me miss America so much.

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Claire Cottrell's Serene Home

Take a look at the entire feature here and read the lovely interview with Claire. Gives me a happy, serene feeling. Peace is a good thing. Also makes me want to have a second home in California. :) Gray, white, mint, gray with shots of yellow. Perfect.

(Photography: Jessica Comingore for fvonf)

20 Comments

• Reply Elena March 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm

I love the wooden floor. I believe that when you go for a white, clean look, you should always invest in a good quality wooden floor, it adds immediately character to the room.!

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} March 14, 2013 at 2:32 pm

such a light and airy space.
    love it!

• Reply Giulia March 14, 2013 at 3:28 pm

While I do agree that this home is beautiful, I do think that it is quite styled and has that ‘perfect’ look about it that you see in magazines and Pinterest. Achieving this simple look for photos was brought about with much attention and a lot of styling in my opinion. Careful ‘careless’ placement of the TV on stacks of magazines, placement of flowers and plants, ‘casual’ placement of art, etc.

• Reply decor8 March 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

@Giulia – I think it depends on the person who places the objects. Some people naturally place things in ways that look “styled” to everyone else without giving much thought to the arrangement at all. Especially if they’re very visual and intuitive/sensitive to their environment. For instance, the TV on top of the books. She may have unpacked her home and just pulled together what made sense for the placement of her TV until she buys a stand for it so the magazines that she stacked on the floor beneath the window was the obvious choice so she placed it on top. To me, that’s not styling. Styling is more of the art of arrangement – you put thought into how you intend for the outcome to be. Of course, maybe she did put a ton of time into how she placed her objects for this shoot – but maybe not – but the current trend in styling is to have the end result look unstyled – so who will ever know?

• Reply Lena March 14, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I agree, the fvf team does a great job – they always seem to capture part of the owner’s personality, it’s never overstyled and cold. I love the unusual but very personal little vignettes they often find, like the one with small tv on a pile of books here.

• Reply Beccy March 14, 2013 at 4:22 pm

What a lovely home, has a very serene feel to it. Love the colours and the plants.

Beccy

• Reply Yuly March 14, 2013 at 4:50 pm

Hi Holly,
    I´m very curious about how will be the feedbacks for this uncommon post. I´m preparing my study case for BLOG BOSS and Freunde von Freunde is one of my favorite blogs. Exactly for the reason you mentioned. Is real and not over accurated or pretentious which for me is the opposite what many decorate blogs show. Another intriguing point, is the fact that in many most decoration blogs is there isn´t almost any male touch. It seems always that in these spaces are living single girls, woman or ladies. Is something I always catch my attention. I think the work of Magazines like Apartamento and blogs like Freunden von freunden or The Selby are very important because they show how people can live in a creative but at the same time also authentic and no trying to follow perfection and not trying to copy a space from a book or a trendy deco-magazine. I appreciate you posted this because I think is a point which can give the possibility to say more than”So Cute” I say with respect because what I would like is talk about more deeply about this point and by that I mean. in a more critical way and not in a “cute way”. Thank you for the oportunity !

• Reply janika R March 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Love this space. Adorable!

• Reply itziar March 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Amazing relaxing home

• Reply Lindy Gaskill March 14, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I like the way the books are used to hold the tv. I use vintage suitcases in our bedroom. I have three stacked and it makes a nice table. I hadn’t thought of using books like that but it’s pretty fun.

• Reply Mrs.D March 14, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Love the simplicity and how they have curated all their wonderful books, pieces of crockery etc

• Reply Rascher Marie Alcasid March 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

@Molly {Dreams in HD}:

I love FVF too and this post in particular.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the house tour but was smitten by her dress!

• Reply Marjory March 15, 2013 at 12:02 am

So serene and refreshing. The plants bring so much aliveness to her space along with the beautiful palette of colors and natural textures. A lovely home. Ah, I miss California!

• Reply Sarah March 15, 2013 at 12:25 am

Wow, I really love that old TV and the record player with albums she has – I read the entire article…kind of refreshing to see someone living the way we USED to live – its a great little spot. I lived in LA in the 80’s and it can be a great place, lots of cool neighborhoods tucked away – I used to love just driving around Beverly Hills and the Hollywood Hills looking at homes – I thought it was fun, my friends were not as keen as me. To me, I could imagine what the houses looked like on the inside – great way to spend an afternoon!! Maybe I should go into real estate??? ;-)

• Reply Heather March 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

Beautiful, stylish, effortless – I love it. Totally appropriate title to the blog when you describe it as ‘serene’.

• Reply Susan March 15, 2013 at 4:33 pm

Simple, serene, beautiful. Love it!
    Susan
    simplymodernhome.com

• Reply Chrystina March 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

What a beautiful home, I just love how light everything is in color – it really opens up the space and makes it feel comfortable and homey!

• Reply Tegan March 15, 2013 at 6:37 pm

I love that I can see the electrical cords. Reality is so refreshing. What a wonderful blog! I’m so happy I found this!

• Reply Gina March 16, 2013 at 1:56 am

Hi,
    I live in Los Angeles and I would love to know where the sofa side tables are from?
    Thanks

• Reply susan farrar March 19, 2013 at 11:04 am

This is beautiful and proves it is not money but taste that creates a desirable living space. Also simplicity , people are often not brave enough to keep things simple ( Myself included at times ) Less really can be more . Thanks for sharing ths Susan Farrar