Books + Magazines

Flow Spring Book

April 2, 2013

There is a Dutch magazine called Flow that I really love, though I cannot understand a word of it. They recently introduced an English version (order here) and I ordered it and wow, that lifted a huge veil! Did you know that Flow also has seasonal books, too?

Flow Spring Book

I didn’t either until December when I taught a blogging workshop at my home and Dutch student, Louise, gave one to another student as a present. Yes, we did a gift exchange. I never saw it done before at a blogger event, but the idea was for each blogger to bring a gift – something from their country that they really love – so that when they arrive at the workshop and were introduced to their partner-in-crime for the weekend (we paired up teams), they both could exchange gifts. The bloggers, as a result, loved the idea soooo much! And I loved it because I could watch everyone unwrapping and saying ahhhhhh a lot! One gift struck me as so amazing that blogger, Louise, asked if I wanted a copy too and I said YES YES ohhh YES and a month later, I paid her and it was in my mailbox.

Flow Spring Book

Flow Spring Book

Flow Spring Book

Flow Spring Book

Now, with the spring edition out, Louise asked me if I wanted the latest copy and I was so happy she offered, so I bought another copy from her. I tell ya, it’s magic when there are people so nice as to do things like this. Today, the spring Flow book arrived and though it’s in Dutch (boo hoo), I still love looking at it. The layouts, the colors, the freebies (cards and planners and posters, oh my!), it’s all so inspirational and nice. I wish it were available in English – I’d be totally in love. But for now, I love it as it is – so thank you Louise and thank you Flow for creating something so inspirational in print. When I see stuff like this I know for a fact that print is here to stay as long as publishers GET CREATIVE!

Flow Spring Book

And don’t you love how Louise wrapped it in brown paper, gift wrap paper and washi tape? So pretty – thank you Louise!

Flow Spring Book

Here are the freebies on my pinboard – I wanted to show you what everything looked like. There is a poster, 5 postcards and a weekly planner. I also added Louise’s pretty wrapping paper. Love!

Are you a Flow fan?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

• Reply bulats April 2, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Everything looks so happy here! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

• Reply cinzia ruggieri April 2, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Yes,I love Flow,I bought a copy in Milan this winter,I love both images and texts.Really inspiring! But now I want the book…

• Reply Silky Hart April 2, 2013 at 5:29 pm

A few months ago I saw a photo you posted of Flow Magazine on Instagram and ordered it right away. The Spring Issue looks wonderful — thanks for the sneak peek and can’t wait for my copy to arrive!

• Reply Margot Madison April 2, 2013 at 5:56 pm

I love the gifting aspect with the included freebies in the magazine. I feel like I’m seeing a trend that really puts the focus on building relationships with the readers. Giving a gift is such a charming way to make friends, right? Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Sari April 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Great post! I am from the Netherlands and Flow is also one of my favorite magazines. Great to hear you got yourself an international copy! But even if you don’t understand what they are saying, the magazine looks pretty enough so you can always just look at it ;)

x Sari

• Reply Cynthia Pijlman April 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Oh yes, I am!! Since they started FLOW in november 2008 and I discovered it at our local bookstore I didn’t miss an issue. I really love everything they are doing!

• Reply Rachelle Blondel April 2, 2013 at 6:04 pm

OOh Holly
    I sneak a peek of Maude my caravan in the pics above… how exciting…wish my garden looked as green as that now especially with a very important photo shoot almost upon me, thanks for sharing, great post as always
    Rachelle x

• Reply Neele de Boer April 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yes, I love Flow.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Sarah B April 2, 2013 at 7:07 pm

thankyou for the eye opening … i have just ordered issue 1 and 2 for international version, but cant seen to see the spring book? for international? if anyone can let me know if its available or if im missing something .. that would be great ..x

• Reply Bessie April 2, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I can see why you like it ! It’s gorgeous to look at. I’m in love with a lot of japanese magazines and books that I can’t understand either.

• Reply Nadia April 2, 2013 at 7:50 pm

Beautiful! Lucky you! X

• Reply Margarida April 2, 2013 at 7:56 pm

Thank you for sharing, Holly!
    This looks really great.

And you know what? My sister and I used to sit in front of the computer and look for pretty blogs but some of them were written in languages we couldn’t read, so we looked at the images and tried to guess what was written – it was great fun!!!

• Reply Kate April 2, 2013 at 8:05 pm

Very cool! Thanks for teaching me about Flow.

• Reply Melanie April 2, 2013 at 8:55 pm

No no no!!!!! Another magazine that I HAVE to get. I think that’s the third one in the last 5 days. Thanks, Holly…and I mean that both sincerely and in a “Nooooooooo!!!!” way. :)

• Reply iHanna April 2, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I love FLOW! I got an issue sent to me by one of my lovely readers. Can’t read it, but love the layout, the illustrations, the typograhphy:

• Reply Sonia April 2, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Lovely! I have to rush and buy Flow too.

• Reply hilde April 2, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I live in Belgium and the first years I drove to Holland to get this magazine! I bought it since number one came out. it is the best magazine ever! there is a new one I love as well…daphne’s diary…also with lots of free fun thing!
    but not in english so far…I love these two magazines and I am always looking for magazines that look like these…have not found them yet. It was great to read about Flow here!!

• Reply Making Happy April 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

So pretty and inspiring! Must check it out! Love the little “happy” banner on the bulletin board. Happy spring! It is FINALLY looking and feeling like it here in on the east coast of Virginia!

• Reply Making Happy April 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Just checked out Flow’s website, and it has lots of fun, free downloads! Also looks like there are a number of Barnes & Noble locations that sell it here in the states. Thanks, Holly!

• Reply Selena April 2, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I wasn’t, but I am now! Wow! What a gorgeous magazine, I love it! Thank you for sharing, I am definitely off to get a copy :)

• Reply Natalie April 2, 2013 at 10:26 pm

I love flow magazine, I always pick it up when I’m in the Netherlands even though I can’t understand a word of it either. So happy they have an English version now, thanks for sharing that! x

• Reply Dawn@joyfulscribblings April 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Everything looks so fun, fresh and screams Spring. I love Louise’s packaging. I follow her blog as well and met her through one of your BYW classes. Happy Spring!

• Reply kittybaroque April 2, 2013 at 10:50 pm

FLOW is a ridiculously awesome magazine! A friend told me about it but he store in Melbourne only imported 2 copies of first international so I was too late to buy. Luckily, the online store had a copy AND it cost less than the imported would have here, even WITH international shipping so it was a WIN.
    I then accidentally ended up on the Dutch site so bought an extra couple of copies and it really doesn’t matter that I can’t read them, it’s ALL about the AMAZING design/imagery

LOVE IT!

• Reply Brooke April 2, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Thanks, I’ve just popped over and ordered mine :)

• Reply Creole B. April 3, 2013 at 1:27 am

@Making Happy:
    I saw them at Anthropologie too.

• Reply Angela April 3, 2013 at 6:15 am

Flow is awesome! I remember the first edition. My friend called me super excited and told me to go to the bookstore and buy it because she was sure I would love it. I did and still do!

• Reply Eva April 3, 2013 at 7:47 am

@Sarah B:

Hi Sarah. Unfortunately there isn’t a Spring book in English. It looks that way on the picture Holly posted because it says “Simplify your life” but the magazine is in Dutch.

• Reply Eva April 3, 2013 at 7:58 am

I also love Flow. It has been a big hit over here in the Netherlands ever since it came out. Copies that are sold out are even selling for much more then the original price.
    I have had there daily planner they sell separately for three years now and love it too.
    And I love their free printables!

• Reply LIVSGLITTER - INTERIOR - DIY - PHOTORAPHY April 3, 2013 at 10:18 am

• Reply Inge April 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Awww… That’s so cute and sweet of Louise to send you such a lovely wrapped issue of Flow! I love Flow too, so nice to see the magazine mentioned here! And in case you’re wondering what it means… In my mind “Flow” has got to do with getting your creative juices flowing in your mind or going with the flow (in the sense of relaxing more and not getting too stressed out about things). It’s a very cool magazine! It inspires you, gives you new visions on things, but also sometimes includes crafty ideas!
    There’s one copy of a few months ago that I kept (nr. 6 of 2012) which was all about life and finding your inner piece of “luck”. And what that means. And it also means: doing something you never ever dared to do before. I loved it. On the cover of the copy it said “All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. – Ralph Waldo Emerson”

It struck me when I read this line again on my copy of Flow last week – two years ago I did something I never dared before: I always loved writing and when I started my blog I never dared to let anyone read my thoughts and ideas – the thought that other people would laugh made me scared. Now I’m so happy I have more readers, and that they like me and my blog for what it is. My crazy thoughts of a few years ago have vanished although I sometimes get a little anxious when I post a new idea or show more of my own home. But it truly is something I love doing. And now that I have taken your classes I now see where my creative “flow” comes from: from doing what I love and write more about what I love and showing who I really am.

Thank you so much Holly!!

• Reply Lisa April 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Yes I bought a copy when I was in Belgium. Even though I couldn’t read it I couldn’t resist the beautiful colorful pages!

• Reply Juliane at Modern Mural April 3, 2013 at 6:38 pm

This looks perfect for a rainy day! All I can think about is curling up on the couch with this book and some coffee!

• Reply Sil from Pencilory April 3, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Oh! I loved your post. I follow Flow since I arrived in Belgium but also I have the same problem I don’t speak Dutch. There are so amazing magazines in Holland (in Dutch) that I was motivated to start a dutch language course….!
    Tha Facebook of Flow is also very nice.

• Reply Corrie Goldsteen April 3, 2013 at 9:28 pm

I love Flow magazine! I lived in Holland and this is one of my favorite magazines. Every month lots of paper crafting, how to live more mindfulness and down to earth. I hope you enjoy Flow in the english version also!

• Reply Kreetta April 3, 2013 at 11:06 pm

It’s adorable! I found it when they released international version. Have to go and get the new one. I love the feeling in Flow. Something precious and not too glossy and fancy. Full of woderful things!

• Reply Emily April 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Beautiful, I love everything about this!! I am going to order a copy, despite not having a word of Dutch, just so I can salivate over the pictures :-)

• Reply Bea Klopstra April 4, 2013 at 9:55 pm

@Sarah B:
    Hi sARAH,

• Reply Nicole Rene April 5, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I want one! Do you know how to buy online?

• Reply decor8 April 5, 2013 at 8:31 pm

@Nicole – I think it’s best that you email them – I don’t see a link for it on their website.

• Reply Bobbi April 5, 2013 at 4:29 pm

What a beautiful book and such fun goodies. Your colorful blog sure brightens things up when I’m sitting in the dark on a rainy morning:)

• Reply Susan April 6, 2013 at 7:27 am

OMgoodness, just stumbled across your site and I can’t believe I haven’t seen it before. Love at first sight!

No, I’ve never read (or…looked at, LOL) Flow but now that I know about it, I may just have to have a little peek. Seasonal anything really gets me goin’.

• Reply Louise - 30s Magazine April 6, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Hi Holly,
    Thanks again for mentioning me. I have good news for you and all internationals. The seasonal Flow books (4/yr) can be ordered online at (one of my favourite shops, with lots of nice stuff)

The summer issue came out this week and is lovely! Holly if you have any problems ordering online, let me know and I’ll send you the summer edition. No trouble at all, the bookshop and post office are right across the street.

Happy weekend! -Louise

• Reply Marjory April 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Happy to see so many flow lovers! Can’t believe I missed out all this time! Thank you so much, ordering today!

• Reply Marinda April 8, 2013 at 10:04 am

Speaking Dutch, of course I love Flow. I prefer Ariadne at Home and 101 Woonideeën, though…

• Reply Lisa April 15, 2013 at 4:40 pm

I’m a Texan living in the Netherlands. Luckily, I can speak a fair about of Dutch and I too LOVE “Flow” magazine and especially their special issues, which come out 4x per year. I can understand a lot of the Dutch but I have to read it slowly, it doesn’t come as naturally to me if it were in English. Today I ordered the two English versions of “Flow” magazine, although I also purchase the Dutch ones too. It would be great if they eventually publish the special issues in English as well. I hope you all enjoy it and can get access to it. For those of you who would like to order it (even if it’s in Dutch) you can check their website and perhaps they can send it directly to you: At the top of the page click “Losse Nummers, Specials en Producten van Flow”. That means “Loose Issues, Specials (as in Special Issues) and Products from Flow”. Once on that page, at the bottom you will see a drop down menu with the year you can choose. Select your year and then click “Speciale uitgaven”.. .this means “Special Issues”. Here you can see all the Special Issues they have released each year. There will be a “Naar Buiten” book which is the most recent. Last winter there was a “Winter Boek”. For instance, to see that you’ll have to first click 2012 and then once again click “Speciale Uitgaven”. If you do that for each year you’ll see the special issues. Not sure why you have to click “Special Issues” each time but that’s the only way I could get them to show up. Last year they also had a “Vakantieschrijfboek” = “Vacation Writing Book” and a “Lekkerweg Blok” = Hard to translate but it means “Nice Way Block”. In Dutch they say “Lekker” to mean something tastes good.. or something is fun.. or exciting or they are looking forward to it. So in this case it would refer more to “Nice Vacation Spots”. This one might only be useful if you are traveling to the Netherlands. However, I ordered it for myself today and when I receive it I can let you know if it’s only addresses for hotels/B&Bs or if it also has paper materials. :)

• Reply Emily August 8, 2013 at 6:45 pm

When I was visiting a friend in Amsterdam, I found this magazine on her table and started flipping through it. Completely distracted by the colorful images, layout and even though I couldn’t read a lick of it, I could not put it down. Barely spoke to her for the next half hour. Ha! I’m so happy to find out they have an English version now.