Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake Recipe

Cheesecake fan? Would you like to make Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake with me today? Hello decor8 readers! Jillian with a new recipe for you this month… Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake! I was in Europe a couple of summers back and I was blown away by the abundance of ripe, red strawberries in the markets. You know the kind you can smell before you can see? Each day I would buy a kilo or so and munch my way through them.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Inspired by the memory of those beautiful strawberries, I’ve come up with a strawberry flavoured treat for you. I decided to make a strawberry swirl cheesecake. I grew up eating baked European style cheesecakes with a filling made from dry cottage cheese, lightened with cream and beaten egg whites encased in a pastry shell then topped with a pastry lattice. As you can imagine, making one of those cheesecakes is a labour of love so over the years I’ve been trying to simplify the recipe.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Instead of a pastry shell I make a shortbread biscuit base and usually leave the top unadorned. I often use a combination of dry cottage and cream cheese in the filling but sometimes dry cottage cheese can be hard to track down so I’ve just used cream cheese in this recipe.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

If you can’t be bothered separating the eggs and beating the egg whites, you don’t have to but then you won’t know what you’re missing out on. The cheesecake texture is so light and a little soufflé like because of the beaten egg whites but there is a downside to all that airiness. The top of the cheesecake will crack as it bakes but as you’ll be covering the cake with cream and strawberries no-one will know. I think the cracking is part of the character of this style of cheesecake anyway. The strawberry flavoured swirl is something new I tried out because who can resist strawberries and cream? If you’ve got a few berries leftover you could make a strawberry sauce to serve with the cheesecake.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

I’ve not tried making this recipe with any other berries but I’m sure raspberries, blackberries, blueberries or a mixture of all of them would work just as well. If you try out any other flavour combinations, I’d love to hear them.

Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Strawberry Swirl
200 g (7 oz) quartered hulled strawberries
1 (20 ml) tablespoon caster sugar
1 tsp lemon juice

Topping
One 250 g (8 oz) punnet strawberries, washed
Whipped or double cream to serve
Icing sugar

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Base
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) springform tin. I line mine with baking paper but that’s optional.
In a food processor, combine all the base ingredients and whiz until a shortbread mixture forms around the blades.
Remove the biscuit mixture from the food processor and press over the base and slightly up the sides of the prepared tin.
Place the tin in the oven and bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until the base is lightly golden. Remove the tin from the oven and allow to cool completely.

Strawberry Swirl
Using a potato masher or a stick blender, mix together strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to form a coarse puree. Set aside.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Filling
Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F.
In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the sugar, the flour and vanilla until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks and the cream.
Remove 2/3 cup of the mixture and fold into the strawberry mixture. Set to one side.
In a separate clean and dry bowl, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Beat in the additional sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time. Fold the egg whites into the cheesecake mixture.
Spoon about half the cheesecake mixture over the shortbread base, then alternately with the strawberry mixture. Using a skewer or a chopstick, gently swirl the colours together to create a marble effect.
Bake at 160°C/325°F for 1 hour or until the cheesecake is just cooked but still jiggles in the middle. Let the cheesecake cool in the turned off oven for a further hour.
Transfer the cheesecake to a rack and allow it to cool completely. Cover the cheesecake and refrigerate it for a few hours.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Because of the egg whites, this cheesecake rises a bit like a soufflé then sinks in the middle. The top always cracks so don’t despair.
To serve, fill the centre of the cake with whipped or double cream, sprinkle the edges of the cake with icing sugar and top with strawberries.
If you like, you can make a simple strawberry sauce with any remaining berries by following the strawberry swirl instructions and sweeten to taste.

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

ss6Delicious Bites: Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake

For next months Delicious Bites column, I was wondering if there was anything in particular you’d like me to bake. So far we’ve made cake, cookies, meringues, tarts and cheesecakes so I can’t wait to see what you come up with.

I’m really looking forward to your suggestions! See you all again next month – Jillian.

(images/text/recipe: Jillian Leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on June 04, 2013

1. Franzis commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 4:29pm

mhmm…look so delicious! Would love to make it right away!
    But what kind of cream cheese did you use? Like the German Frischkäse or Quark?
    Thanks for the recipe!

2. Bex commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 4:41pm

This looks lovely.
    How about ginger biscuits next time? Or something with caramel?
    Making myself hungry now and trying to be good this week!
    Help!

3. gosia commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 5:08pm

why don’t you go for icecream or popsicles??? It will be mid summer then.

4. Salma commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 6:20pm

Hi:)
    Looks so Delicious ….

5. Shannon commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 6:38pm

Hmm…how about a pull apart cake/brioche…apple cinnamon or whatever else you can think of…:)

6. Vicki commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 6:38pm

One of my readers asked me for a cheesecake recipe just yesterday – what perfect timing this looks absolutely delicious! V x
    Vicki´s last blog post ..Delicious Pops of Colour

7. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 7:12pm

Oh my gosh, YUM. This looks sooo good and the photography and styling are just gorgeous as well. I will have to try it!

I’ve been wanting to try a pavlova so I’d love to see your take on that, but really anything would be lovely!
    Aileen@AtHomeinLove´s last blog post ..May Instagrams

8. Bine [was eigenes] commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 7:15pm

This sounds so delicious!
    Thanks for the receipe.
    cheers, Bine

9. decor8 commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 7:23pm

@Franzis – I think she used what is in Germany stores – Philadelphia plain cream cheese — that’s what we usually use in the USA to make cheesecake.

10. tinajo commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 9:00pm

Oh yum, yum – love everything with strawberries! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Tuesdays around the world!

11. Julie Gallagher commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 9:24pm

Lovely! My vote is for ice cream!

12. Momographica commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 9:43pm

Hi Jillian,

such a wonderful treat you are sharing!I would love to try this soon.
    Just wondering how this would work out with cherries or bananas! (two of my favorite!).

The photos are also gorgeous, I really like the light in the.
    Thank you for sharing this with us! :)
    Momographica´s last blog post ..Peonies in Studio

13. June g. commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 11:05pm

Looks so delicious! And I love your darling needlepoint:)

14. jillian leiboff commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 11:16pm

@Franzis: I just used supermarket brand packaged cream cheese like Philadelphia but I’m sure Quark would work fine.
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..autumn sydney finders keepers 2013

15. jillian leiboff commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 11:18pm

@gosia: Hi Gosia,
    I have a killer strawberry ice cream recipe in the wings but I thought 2 strawberry posts back to back might be a bit much. I could work on another flavour though….
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..autumn sydney finders keepers 2013

16. dee commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 11:48pm

This looks so delicious I can’t even tell you how badly I want to make this. I love the shape as well. Yum!

17. gillian commented
    June 4th, 2013 at 11:59pm

Hi,

That Cheesecake looks great. I would like to see you bake and Courgette and Lime sponge cake (preferably a slimline method as I am on a diet, if poss).

Thanks.
    gillian x

18. Janet Wilson commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 1:51am

*drooling!!! This looks and sounds delicious!

Love all the pretty photographs too!

19. Ryoma Sakamoto.Japan commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 1:57am

Good morning!!
    It is the design which is very appetizing.
    I also love the strawberry.
    Strawberry jam homemade is popular in our house.
    From Japan.
    XO
    Ryoma Sakamoto.

20. Patricia commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 3:17am

That looks absolutely delicious! Will definitely have to try it.
    Patricia´s last blog post ..Great Gatsby inspired

21. Laura Gaskill @ Lolalina commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 3:36am

Of course the cheesecake looks delish, but what really caught my eye was the sweet little strawberry needlepoint – beautiful!

Oh, and for next month? How about something frozen? Ice cream, sorbet, fresh fruit popsicles… Yum!
    Laura Gaskill @ Lolalina´s last blog post ..30 Ways to Use a French Market Basket

22. Sara Domini commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 8:28am

Seems to be so Yummy!

23. eva commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 9:27am

looks delicious – i will make it for my husbands birthday on friday! thanks for the receipe!
    habe a great day, eva

24. Valerie commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 11:01am

This looks absolutely delicious – I’ve been fancying trying a baked cheesecake and this looks like the one. Perfect timing with the new season British strawberries in the shops now.
    Thanks!
    Valerie

25. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 2:40pm

yum, this sounds and looks absolutely delicious!
    Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Hi There!

26. Liese | lipstickandsoda commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 4:41pm

this looks absolutely delicious, thanks for sharing!

27. Andreia commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 11:04pm

So inspiring!

Loved this post!

28. jillian leiboff commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 11:18pm

Glad you liked the recipe. The gremlins got into the system though and there is a typo in the fillling part of the recipe.

It should read

Filling

750 g (1¾ lb) cream cheese, softened
    ¾ cup caster sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    175 mls (¾ cup) cream
    1 (20 ml) tablespoon flour
    4 large eggs, separated
    2 additional tablespoons caster sugar

Thanks for your suggestions,

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..autumn sydney finders keepers 2013

29. jillian leiboff commented
    June 5th, 2013 at 11:22pm

@Momographica: I think bananas would work well. You’d need mushy full flavoured ones mashed in the filling and firm ones drizzled with lemon juice to stop them browning for the topping.

As for your cherry idea – that would be amazing! Originally I was going to make a sour cherry cheesecake for the Delicious Bites column but strawberry won in the end.
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..autumn sydney finders keepers 2013

30. Tatjana commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 8:42am

It looks great! My strawberries are turning red and I have to try this one!

31. gosia commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 12:34pm

no need to worry: i can’t think even of one single person who would be fed up with strawberries (the season’s too short)!

32. mariam commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 6:01pm

Oh-mi-gosh this is heaven in a picture. The cake looks gorgeous definitely going to try this out! Don’t know if my try will look as good as your but lets hope it tastes equally amazing!
    mariam´s last blog post ..Lets get minted!

33. energia commented
    June 6th, 2013 at 7:52pm

Yummy, I’m already hungry just looking at …. :)
    energia´s last blog post ..Podwodne magazyny energii elektrycznej

34. Tea commented
    June 8th, 2013 at 11:52am

Talk about simply beautiful. This is totally re-blog worthy.

35. Barbara commented
    June 10th, 2013 at 8:44am

Looks amazing! I love cheesecake! Its my favorite thing in the whole world. I will definitely try to do it!
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Homemade Granola bars

36. Barbara commented
    June 10th, 2013 at 8:50am

i will definitely try this! I love cheesecake.

37. Irene @ {a swoonful of sugar} commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 10:45am

This is such a beautiful cheesecake. Sunken middle just makes it all the more rustic looking! :)

38. El Cajon de las Especias commented
    June 18th, 2013 at 11:35am

This is more than a tasty snack. It’s a magnificent recipe, design, photography …
    We are in love with your blog.
    Congratulations.
    Spanish Greetings

39. Jillian Leiboff commented
    June 19th, 2013 at 10:52am

Thanks for all your lovely comments,

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..macaroni cheese

40. hagit commented
    April 25th, 2014 at 12:24pm

i kept this recipe from last year for “shavuot” …looks so great!
    just one question :i should fold the egg whites to the cheese mixture only ?
    the strawberries mixture is without them?

41. jillian leiboff commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 1:44am

hagit,

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Yes that’s correct – the egg whites only go into the cheesecake batter to lighten it it’s texture.

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..little rhubarb and ginger puddings with caramel sauce