DIY: Creative Paper Lamps

I’m a regular reader of Danish magazines now, thanks to my neighbor who is in Denmark at least once a week and generously brings them home for me to drool over. One that I really like is called BoligLiv. They recently shared a fun DIY that I simply must show you because these two ideas for round paper lights are both so easy and creative – two of my favorite words when it comes to DIY!

DIY: Creative Paper Lamps

Lamp with paper strips: Get a rice paper orb from IKEA, copy paper, glue stick, spray paint in the color you love and scissors. Now you spray the bottom edge of each sheet of paper and let them dry. Once they are dry, stack multiple layers of the papers together and cut them into 2 and 2.5 cm wide strips. Stack the strips according to length, you will have two piles. Glue the strips individually onto the paper orb keeping some space between each one. Use the longest strips first, starting from the bottom, using your glue stick. Use row after row of strips altnerating between the 2 cm strips and the 2.5 cm strips. Note: Hang the longest strips at the bottom. Full instructions here in Danish.

DIY: Creative Paper Lamps

Lamp with fabric triangles: You will need 1 rice paper (Ikea) orb, scrap fabric, glue and scissors. Now you should cut a pair of triangles in two sizes in the fabric. Fold the fabric along a few times, and cut several triangles in two sizes through the layers with the first triangles as templates. Keep the big and the small triangles separated. Glue the triangles from the bottom up. Allow approx. 1 cm between each triangle and about. 2 cm distance between rows so you can still see the lamp between the triangles. Full instructions here in Danish.

DIY: Creative Paper Lamps

What do you think, will you try these DIY projects??? I may because they look fun and I’d love to try using some of my spare Liberty fabrics for a project like this!

(images: boligliv)

Posted by decor8 in diy on June 11, 2013

1. Tracey commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 12:24pm

Looks stunning!

2. Eve commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 12:41pm

At some point I noticed that German home magazines are hugely ‘inspired’ by Dutch ones which are hugely ‘inspired’ mostly by Danish (and some Swedish) home magazines … ;-)

I’ll stick with the Dutch ones – can’t understand Scandinavian languages, and for me, it’s the images AND the texts that inspire me!

Greetings from Hannover-Linden! :-)

3. decor8 commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 12:50pm

@Eve – Actually German magazines are hugely inspired by Scandinavian magazines and homes – lots of homes in German mags are in Denmark and Sweden, for instance, and the trends are trickling down from DK and Sweden to Germany as well. Not so much Dutch magazines – I don’t see much influence on German magazines from the Netherlands. Living at Home is inspired by Martha Stewart Living from what I can see, and Flair is very much it’s own magazine, but looks and feels very Italian to me. Couch feels like it’s trying to be Dutch but it’s not really succeeding as it’s very cluttered and Dutch mags tend to be a lot cleaner. So I think Couch is more German than anything else, it looks and feels very German to me – quirky and cluttered – it has a very “Berlin” vibe to me. LUNA (German parenting mag) is very inspired by MILK out of France. Living & More and the others that are thinner on the newsstand here are VERY Danish and Swedish inspired. Deli (food mag) is very inspired by Jamie Oliver’s aesthetic.

4. Quinn Cooper commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 2:30pm

LOVE this DIY. Such a good one.
    I want to make these for an outdoor party.
    Thanks for sharing.
    xo Quinn

Quinn Cooper Style
    Quinn Cooper´s last blog post ..Nectarine Ricotta Bites

5. Marianne commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 5:58pm

@decor8: I have to agree with Holly. Both Dutch and German magazines are influenced by Scandinavian magazines (not by each other). Although I think VT Wonen has a style of it’s own.
    Marianne´s last blog post ..Meet my new friend: Canon EOS 100D/EOS Rebel SL1

6. laura redburn // cardboardcities commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 6:18pm

love these lamps! i need a new one for my room so i may have to make one of these at some point. also, i have to say it.. i LOVE that cushion in the top photo too!
    laura redburn // cardboardcities´s last blog post ..cardboardcities colour love – tan

7. DAGNÝ // FEEL INSPIRED BLOG commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 6:34pm

Thanks for sharing! Love this DIY
    DAGNÝ // FEEL INSPIRED BLOG´s last blog post ..BLOOMINGVILLE A/W2013

8. Holly {Avenue} commented
    June 11th, 2013 at 11:53pm

Love this idea!!
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..The Mill Blanket: All Natural Dutch Design

9. Hannah commented
    June 12th, 2013 at 8:31am

Thanks for sharing! LOVE!

10. Law commented
    June 12th, 2013 at 10:19pm

I love the second one with fabric, so clever :)

11. Michelle commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 4:12am

These look so good I just wish I had the patience for it!
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Hard To Find – Dear Noah

12. Shas commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 5:58am

This may seem like a stupid question, but I’m always worried that regular paper or fabric might get too hot when I see DIY’s for lampshades, is it not really a problem?

13. decor8 commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 11:28am

For this, no because the paper and fabric are on the outside of the shade and inside is a hanging bulb and as long as you do not exceed the wattage for the socket, you should be fine.

14. Heidi commented
    June 13th, 2013 at 8:41pm

I’m super excited for my subscription to BoligLiv. I wish it had already started last month because they had an extra magazine with DIY projects in it (including this one). Hope you got your hands on that one!