Decorating Tips

I’m Loving: White Brick Walls

July 9, 2013

Hey everyone! I’m seeing painted brick as trendy, especially painted in white. Have you noticed that too? Seems that lots of people are painting brick walls or brick fireplaces white these days. And though it is HARD (some say nearly impossible) to ever restore the brick back to its original glory, many who do go with painted brick are fine with that – they are content to keep it painted for years to come. Last year, we photographed a loft in SOHO and the homeowner had amazing brick walls that she painted in a very deep eggplant. I’m not a fan of purple walls, but in her home, it looked almost black until the light came in and wow – it was magical. For me, when it comes to brick, I love seeing it painted in black, gray or my favorite, white. Here are some examples of white brick walls that I love. For more inspiration showing rooms with white brick walls and fireplaces, visit my White Brick pinboard!

Im Loving: White Brick Walls

Im Loving: White Brick Walls

via: the red house

Im Loving: White Brick Walls

via: 79 ideas

Im Loving: White Brick Walls

via: home decor obsession

So what do YOU think? Would you consider painting brick walls or is that, to you, the ultimate taboo – like painting an antique piece of furniture? Or have you done it and love the results? Are you a little on the fence?

(images: linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Agi @ Passion shake July 9, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I love brick walls and all these photos are a great examples of how they can add character to the space. I like them painted in white, as well as the ‘original’ look :) I’ll be helping to renovate my friend’s restaurant soon and we are deciding right now whether we should paint them in white… inspiring post! I start liking this idea more and more! :)))

• Reply dawn July 9, 2013 at 6:43 pm

we have a brick faced fireplace 70’s style downstairs that i plan to whitewash so that it is not as stark as paint. i love the look, but would be hesitant in an old warehouse setting where the brick is 100+ years old and has the beautiful golden hues from that time period. 70’s brick is not so chic, so i prefer the white clean look it gives. i think the context of the painted brick has a lot to do with whether it looks appropriate or not and not that it is just a trend. lovely pics.

• Reply Debra Townsend July 9, 2013 at 7:04 pm

White brick is my favorite. I love all the examples here!!

• Reply Lucia Albertine July 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Hi, white bricks look really amazing, I love it, it is good idea. Thank you for sharing! :)

• Reply Margaret July 9, 2013 at 7:10 pm

In a previous home, I painted the bricks around the fireplace in the kitchen white and it completely transformed the room. It gave it a lovely Mediterranean feel, especially in summer.
    I didn’t have to fret over destroying the original brick as the previous occupant had already beat me to it…by painting them bright pink!

• Reply Kari Anne July 9, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Great post Holly. Love white painted brick walls. Makes me wanna rip the plaster off our interior walls in our London brick home!

• Reply Lallabel July 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I love white brick walls! So much that I convinced my husband to do it in our dining room. Now that he has this idea in mind, he always show me haw we can do it. I don’t see the time to have it in my home and these images inspire me so much!

• Reply Griffin July 9, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Painting brick walls is perfectly acceptable, the examples you show are lovely! White painted brick allows you to have the beautiful texture and character of brick while brightening up the space! I am seeing a lot of brick and even concrete walls painted but then leaving a portion of the wall, often in the shape of a circle or square, exposed, giving you a glimpse of it’s original character.

• Reply Jenn July 9, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Agreed! I love the look of artwork on textured walls! Beautiful photos

• Reply kelley July 9, 2013 at 9:14 pm

i love white brick! it can really brighten a room! and it creates a nice background to add pops of color in other, unique ways!

• Reply sue July 9, 2013 at 9:16 pm

we have a white painted brick wall in our attic. It came with the place, but I like it. I am so tempted to add a Banksy type graffiti on top – if only i was talented enough. Unfortunately there is no more exposed brick in the place, but I think painting it is fully okay – probably keeps the spiders at bay as well, or easier to spot.

• Reply iHanna July 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

How fun & serendiptius that your post is just above Alisa Burke’s in my reader about painting her brick firewall – white! :-)

• Reply LookNoo July 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Part of me wonders if painted brick will be thought as a cardinal sin in ten years. Although I do love it today!

• Reply Becky July 9, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I think the white brick walls in my apartment are ugly. Thanks for all these inspirational pictures!

• Reply Kathi July 9, 2013 at 9:37 pm

love this post ! i would certainly paint a brick wall white, i love the texture and clean look.

• Reply Amy @ Milo and Mitzy July 9, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I am hearing you. I love white brick walls. Such a cool statement.

Amy x

• Reply Peyton July 9, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I think brick is such a great look – even better when it’s white!!

• Reply Nicole July 9, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I am a huge fan of exposed brick, especially when painted white! So dreamy and rustic!

• Reply Katrin July 9, 2013 at 11:06 pm

We’ve moved into an old brick building four years ago and most walls were painted already. The building was previously used as a printworks and some walls were painted white decades ago and had layers of paint splashes on them. Wherever possible we kept that. The only brick wall that has not been painted was in the (now) bathroom wall which originally was the outside wall of the building – now inside, as they’ve built an extension. It took me three weeks of hard thinking before I could actually paint the wall as there is no way back. I did not regret it. It’s beautiful.

• Reply Mirian Simões de Mello Pinto July 10, 2013 at 12:07 am

everything beatifull!

all this white!

so simple, so pure!

love it

• Reply Vero Palazzo July 10, 2013 at 12:33 am

I love it!! the same way I love to change the look of antique furniture by painting it! your selection is great!

• Reply Elle avait pris ce pli July 10, 2013 at 12:58 am

In my opinion, it depends how are the bricks; if the bricks are antiques with a beautiful blend of faded colors, the bricks have to stay as they are.
    But if the bricks are relatively news and with an uniform color, they have to be painted.
    It ´s exactly what we have done; the bricks in our kitchen weren’t beautiful, so we painted them in white and the kitchen is now more light.

• Reply Jane Buchanan July 10, 2013 at 1:16 am

I’m absolutely loving the white brick wall! I’m not usually one for white walls but this look has me hooked! I’m currently pulling together a mood board for my lounge/library, as we don’t have brick walls I’m sourcing some amazing wallpapers to create the look for a feature wall. Great post Holly & so timely!

Jane xx

• Reply JESSE DRESBACH July 10, 2013 at 1:33 am

YES! I love these walls, I admit, it is a really hard to decision to paint brick. I debated painting our fireplace, but since it was behind a big black woodburning stove I opted just to whitewash it.. Which was still a big decision! Here are some pics on my blog if you want to see:

BUT! If I had a huge wall of brick, I’d definitely go for it because I think the look is great. Now, what do you think of painted stone? Like that 1970’s stone… bit tougher there…

• Reply Mirjam July 10, 2013 at 4:43 am

Love love love it. Always have. I would totally do this. I also love the herringbone patterned brick as flooring, but that’s not something I would do right now with two kids under 5, and one more on the way… I can see too many bumps and bruises happening. I would do it in a mud room and laundry room, though. Lovely images!

• Reply suzi July 10, 2013 at 5:00 am

Beautiful images! Love it! Love that the texture of the bricks still creates a beautiful look but the white allows the natural sunlight to bounce into the room, definitely would do this in a small space to keep the area feeling light and fresh.

• Reply Dominique July 10, 2013 at 6:01 am

I must admit that I wasn’t always a fan of painted brick walls, because I grew up around a yellow brick wall. But Yes white brick walls are beautiful!

• Reply Desirae July 10, 2013 at 8:23 am

This post has inspired me even more to paint my stone fireplace white! It really just looks like a big tan and brown blob in the middle of an all white living room-an eyesore, I can’t wait to paint!
    Lovely post as usual!

• Reply Heather July 10, 2013 at 10:09 am

Hi, I totally agree too.
    We made a bold move to paint a totally brick corridoor totally white last year and I’ve never looked back. The light is incredible in there now and I particularly like the texture of the brick and the way the light hits it.

Thanks for another fab post.

• Reply Jane July 10, 2013 at 11:35 am

Love it, but don’t have any. Thought about wallpapering a few walls with this:—koziel-10m-roll-11012-p.asp

• Reply mel July 10, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’m a fan of it and I especially love the example of the living with the painted brick wall and fireplace. Depending on the brick that I had, I’d do it in a flash!

• Reply emma lilley July 10, 2013 at 11:45 am

Love this look, we have a small exposed brick area on the downstairs toilet extension, i was just going to plaster over it, looking at this has inspired me to paint them instead. Do you have to use a special kind of paint?

• Reply laurie July 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

I painted the exposed brick white in my 18th century home a few years back and don’t think I’ll ever regret it and wouldn’t hesitate to do it again. Though, I’m on the fence about the floors I’m prepping to paint now!
    Thanks for these great inspirational photos – love them!

• Reply Stacey July 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Oh I adore white painted brick. I was so nervous to paint the brick in our house but it was the best decision I ever made. It brightens up the space while keeping that great texture. We did our kitchen which made it so much easier to keep clean. Love the images you chose. GORGEOUS!

• Reply decor8 July 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

@Stacey – that looks amazing, great job!!!!

• Reply DELEITE DESIGN July 12, 2013 at 12:27 am

in my opinion depends if your bricks are really old and nice to see or if they are just bricks, if is like that, PAINT IT

• Reply angie July 14, 2013 at 10:31 pm

love love love the white brick!! i’ll be pinning a few of these babies for sure!! i’ve been currating fresh and modern inspiration rooms for a beach company i write for…these will be awesome!

• Reply Antonella August 2, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I’m with you. It really depends on whether it’s a lovely old brick or a newish ugly one (70s onward…)