Trends: Maison&Objet Fall 2013

Hi everyone, are you ready for a new trend report on the Maison&Objet show in Paris that I attended a few days ago? It’s Gudy here and I’m happy to join you again this month for another report from my travels. Funny thing is, and don’t let this discourage you, but there are not that many striking new trends right now! You might find a new colour or a different combination of colours in one product range, but nothing unusual. For metals, copper is still hot and since we have seen and talked about copper a lot, I have skipped metallics for this report. The brands at this show basically offer what they have tested in the past month to be accessible for the final consumer relying on their catalog and on recent bestsellers. Even still, with 9 huge pavilions there was a lot to see at Maison&Objet and I returned home to Barcelona feeling very inspired! I highly recommend this show – the next ones will be held in January and again in September of 2014.

Color Trends
BLACK IS STILL TRENDING
Black is an evergreen color, in some markets such as in the Scandinavian countries more than in others but yes, there is a common trend back to dark greys such as kohl and black. You will find black as an accent color or total look on accessories and outdoor furniture turned into indoor pieces (Sika Design). Or you’ll find black mostly combined with metallics (copper and gold) and/or white, and any material goes: wood, resin, glass, ceramics, textiles, etc. Walls are painted black again.

Black is back_SIKA._LR

Pomax

Black is back_TinaFrey_LR

Tina Frey

Black is back_Bleu Nature_LR

Bleu Nature

BRIGHT PRIMARY COLORS
Bright colours are linked to geometric patterns and strong graphics. Black and white underline its boldness and play on patterns like grids and checkerboard many times. Red, blue, yellow, green and orange are still a big hit in interior design for accent pieces but look also for packaging, tableware, consumer electronics and graphic design.

block colors_Parsi Debons_Medusa

Parsy Debons Design

block colors_LaLoue_LR

Girardeu

block colors_Mariska Meijers_LR

Mariska Meijers

PASTELS + GREY
Pastels, mainly in combination with powder shades become more serious. Or shall I say less feminine? Pearl grey, slate grey and even kohl are the new partners to combine with. It gets cooler and all shades of grey play a major role again in the interior world. It is understated, sophisticated and most interesting when metals such as copper get into the mix. I think the new pastel + grey combo is truly elegant and perfect for the season to come!

pastels+grey_Broste1_LR

Muuto

pastels+grey_Muuto3_LR

Muuto

pastels+grey_AndTradition_LR

&Tradition

BURGUNDY
Do you recall the shy appearance of the new terracotta colour from my visit to the Milan Show Il Salone in Spring? Well, there is a similar novelty now. Burgundy has been spotted on the catwalks last Fall/Winter 2012/13 and is now hitting fashion stores this year. Since fashion and interiors merge with an awesome velocity for the past two years, we already have seen a few nice examples of the colour to come.
Are you ready to embrace the wine-soaked color trend?

Burgundy_Arcade_LR

Burgundy_Normann Copenhagen_trays_LR

Normann Copenhagen

Burgundy_Serax_LR

Serax

Accessories
INKED CERAMICS
Ink stains and/or watercolour effects on ceramics are one of the hottest trends of the season. The clash of mostly blue hues is intense and resembling illustrators’ work.
Watercolours have been around quite some time now in fashion, stationary design, packaging, web design and textiles. As for tableware, watercolours or ink stain effects seem to be most effective when used with ‘less is more’ and reduced to a few colour shades.

Ink effect_Asiatides_LR

Asia Tides

Ink effect_grassscent_LR

Grass Scent

Ink effect_leezeesoo_LR

leezeesoo

METALLIC EFFECTS
Shiny metallic reflections on glass is one of the latest innovations capturing light and creating stunning mirror effects. Glass design is exploring new fields in colour, shape, mixed materials and finishings. The An&Angel collection has been awarded for High Design Quality with the “Red Dot Award Product Design 2013”. There has never been such a variety and even not spotted at the M&O since I visited an excellent exhibition of Werner Aisslinger in Berlin) this past Spring and would like to add an extra image of his Mesh Vases since they fit perfectly here.

metallic effect_Aisslinger_LR

Aisslinger

metallic effect_AnAngel2_LR.

Angel

metallic effect_Pulpo3_LR

Pulpo

WALL WONDERS
Clustered framing is not new but what caught my eye is the tendency of hanging similar pieces with almost no or few space in between. Trays, plates, frames – there is no limit. It is not about preserving a memory with photos or to hang art on your wall but to decorate the wall with anything collectable.

Clustered framing_Asiatides_LR

Asia Tides

clustered framing_Ibride_plates_LR

iBride

clustered framing_Ibride_2_LR

iBride

clustered framing_Ibride_1_LR

iBride

ESCHER PRINTS
I am happy to see one of the many Escher prints back. I have always been a fan of his work. The classic black and white is the most applied and recognized pattern but there where some color pops too.

EscherPrint_Serax_LR

Serax

EscherPrint_Asiatides_LR

Asia Tides

EscherPrint_AstierdeVillatte_LR

astier de villatte

EscherPrint_Rouge du Rhin_LR

Rouge Du Rhin

EscherPrint_Myer_LR

Myer

ferm Living

Ferm Living

Materials
WICKER, WOOD, BAMBOO CHAIRS
There is a throwback to the Emmanuelle armchair with the oval back rest and peacock pattern! Whenever I visit our local flea market here in Barcelona I am looking for a reinterpreted object or the original itself! But there are many other wicker and rattan armchairs now edited without compromising the spirit of the original design. The most characteristic feature is the very high back rest.

wicker chair_Asiatides1_LR

Asia Tides

wicker chair_Asiatides3_LR

Asia Tides

wicker chair_Asiatides2_LR

Asia Tides

wicker chair_BleuNature_LR

Bleu Nature

wicker chair_SIKA_LR

Sika Design

NATURAL FIBER CONTAINERS
Everything related to weaving, space-dyed knitting and natural fibers is the biggest trend right now. Due to the growing number of aficionados, new colours and materials are now combined mixing fabric structures with glass, wax, polyethylene, etc. Natural earthy colours are still the most popular but colourful fibers are expected to grow soon. Plus, there is a lot of black now too. This interior throw-back look is back and very popular again! Basket weaving is applied for different types of containers used for several purposes. In the process of weaving vegetable fibers, new materials such as wax or metal structures can be integrated giving a modern look and new style credentials.

containers_grassscent_LR

containers_Serax_LR

Serax

containers_Serax2_LR

Serax

TineK

tinekhome

I’d love to hear your comments on those trends. Is there anything special that caught your eye and if so, why? Have a wonderful day and enjoy the upcoming weekend! – Gudy.

(images: gudy herder, ferm living, tinekhome)

Posted by decor8 in trends on September 12, 2013

1. Antonia of craftifair commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 2:37pm

Oh I really can´t say which is my favorite trend but I have to get something with an Escher print. Geometric prints will always be in my house!
    Antonia of craftifair´s last blog post ..DIY: Pantoffel Espadrilles aus Filz // slipper espadrilles from felt

2. Decorausa commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 2:50pm

Two highly recommended trends!!
    Accent pieces in bright primary shades because they add a touch of spice and are an inexpensive way to update a living-room.
    Choosing colorful, patterned cushions to bring a stunning and speedy transformation to a simple sofa.
    Decorausa´s last blog post ..How to create the WOW factor with outdoor lights

3. Lucy Chen commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 3:54pm

BEAUTIFUL!
    My favourites are the plants, as always, the pictures and plates on the walls, as well as the bright primary colours!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..The Symbolism of Bamboo in Chinese Culture

4. Monaqo commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:23pm

Hi Gudy, thx for your impressions as a little comfort for those of us who didn’t made it to Paris. It seems I am a Scandinavian at heart being addicted to dark Grey and Black for years now … so your post had me at first sight. Two of our bedroom walls will be painted in Farrow & Ball Off Black next week and I am really excited about how the new mood will look and feel.
    Monaqo´s last blog post ..Home sweet home: SCHLAFZIMMER 2.0

5. Jenni commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 4:35pm

I totally felt in love with grey and pastels and the natural fiber containers! I bought one a few weeks ago from IKEA. I love it!

6. Hanna Sandvig commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 5:37pm

I like the wicker and natural fibers :) I don’t know about the rest, I’ve just finished pitching all the black out of my house and I love how light everything feels right now!
    Hanna Sandvig´s last blog post ..Alana + Bill

7. Tracey commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 5:47pm

Love the weaving and geometric prints!

8. Jerroid Marks commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 7:16pm

I really like the fact that primary colors are back in, they just add such a pop to spaces.

9. Afsaneh Tajvidi commented
    September 12th, 2013 at 11:02pm

I loved everything but Tina Frey’s translucent resin was my favorite!
    Afsaneh Tajvidi´s last blog post ..End of summer

10. Vero Palazzo commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 5:09am

I’ve planned to repaint a tiny bathroom/toilette at home and I’ve chosen BURGUNDY for the wall! I can not believe it is the color for 2014 :)
    Vero Palazzo´s last blog post ..In Love ♥

11. mel commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 6:16am

A really thorough report Gudy thank you! I’m surprised that copper is still so present along with the pastels! I’m really fond of rattan and dream of owning a franco albini cane chair one day. Mel x
    mel´s last blog post ..Five Every Day Apps

12. Tracey commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 6:55am

Oh those knits are beautiful ….. I’m loving the grey and pastels ….. crazy because I have always been one to stick with black and white. Looks like you had some fun and I like every single thing I saw. Thanks for sharing!!!!

13. geraldine commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 8:26am

Brilliant report Gudy, love it! thanks so much for this, I feel as if I was there. I’m liking the inked decorative pots and the colours blacks, grey, oranges and Indigo blue. Those planters by Serax are great too. x
    geraldine´s last blog post ..Shopping in Copenhagen

14. Bettina commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 9:44am

Great trend overview from Gudy! I love the grey and pastels. Grey is everywhere at the moment. Just saw a new Minotti collection at DeDeCe Sydney and everything was grey: lounges, beds, rugs – stunning when mixed with orange, purple or pastels.
    Bettina´s last blog post ..Colour Your Life this Spring

15. Holly {Avenue} commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 10:11am

What an impressive round up, Gudy! I particularly love the pastels and grey combo with copper. Those bold graphic Escher prints are also fab. ope you enjoyed your time in Paris!
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Wedding Files: Engaged + Great News!

16. Elena commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 12:40pm

Thank you for this report on the Maison & Object show. I couldn’t go this time and your selection of images offers a good view of the show. I totally agree with you, there are not many new trends at Maison or in shops and magazines at the moment. It is a sort of year of confimation not affirmation of trends. Having said that, Maison & Object has became very commercial and has lost the ability of proposing unique things or unusual ideas. Some of our clients go to Maison & Object, it is not anymore a place for professionals but almost a high street show,
    Because it is very big and the variety is huge, it is still really inspiring, also for the way things are displayed.
    Thanks again.
    Elena´s last blog post ..Alfred Kornfeld’s half gallery, half private house

17. Deepa commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 1:05pm

Gorgeous photos and great post, Gudy! I love the cool pastels and grey.
    Deepa´s last blog post ..Going to Greece!

18. Lena commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 2:15pm

Thank you Gudy for another brilliant trend report! One of my favourites is the watercolor on ceramics trend – I’ve loved it seeing it in fashion design and other fields and I think it looks great on tableware, as well.
    Lena´s last blog post ..MY MOODBOARD LINK PARTY CONTRIBUTION: INDIAN SUMMER

19. FeadorM commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 2:33pm

BEAUTIFUL!
    Orange funky dresser.

20. Gudy Herder commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 3:19pm

Black or dark grey walls are a dramatic change but can easily be spiced up by any other color you are a fan of. I like the moods you have created as an inspiration on your blog.

21. Gudy Herder commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 3:23pm

I am a fan too of all the wicker objects, especially when it comes to a new more contemporary interpretation! There were loads of lamp shades too, I just didn’t take enough pictures of them.

22. Gudy Herder commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 3:24pm

I thought of you and your recent post when seeing the Marimekko water colour tableware at Paris!

23. Gudy Herder commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 3:27pm

I believe grey is just one of the perfect neutral colours to be combined with the entire colour palette to soothe or get a more sophisticated look!
    I can imagine that Minotti goes grey, it perfectly matches with their designs.

24. Kreetta commented
    September 13th, 2013 at 6:09pm

Inked ceramics and wall wonders!
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..Is It Vintage – Cloth Pins

25. Purple Area commented
    September 14th, 2013 at 10:28am

Great pics, thanks for sharing!

/Susann
    Purple Area´s last blog post ..Koppar och grått.. funkar

26. Gwen. The Makerista commented
    September 14th, 2013 at 9:16pm

I really love all of it, but the first two definitely reflect my personal style, as they are a big part of our main living area!

I figured burgundy would be creeping its way into home decor sooner than later. I think it can look so modern with clean-lined pieces, blacks and whites. I really love it with grey and I’ve seen it beautifully done with a really pale mint color.

Thanks for sharing!
    Gwen. The Makerista´s last blog post ..Making a Home: Adding Easy and Affortable Houseplants to Your Space

27. Femke Dekker - ter Meulen commented
    September 15th, 2013 at 6:53pm

Thanks for this round up Gudy! As I had to cancel due to a too crowded diary, I am happy to read a report like this! X Fem
    Femke Dekker – ter Meulen´s last blog post ..Oh My Home!! (Prints)

28. Tanja commented
    September 15th, 2013 at 9:17pm

Dear Gudy,
    thanks a lot for all those wonderful impressions at maison et object!
    Great pics, great trends, great report!
    i would love to visit this exhibition once.
    i love the black vase from Guaxs, the material looks so tactile, satin gloss, … very nice.
    Black is back – i agree
    And i also like the grey-pastel theme, it is so cosy, so relaxing,…
    Burgundy is great for fashion, but i’m not yet ready for interior-decorations
    Tanja

29. Lindy Gaskill commented
    September 16th, 2013 at 7:40am

As a lover of vivid color, I’m really liking all those primary color images. Love a trend like that!

30. Anastasia of Stilzitat commented
    September 16th, 2013 at 1:14pm

It’s always such a pleasure to read Gudy’s trend reports! Holly, thank you for having her and bringing her to an even larger audience! She is great and I love her approach to colors and trends in general! I have been working with watercolor backgrounds for my online shop for a while now and love seeing this on ceramics. Isn’t it great to have someone to go to OM for you? I try to go in January… I just NEED to experience it myself, though!
    Anastasia of Stilzitat´s last blog post ..THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!

31. Magda commented
    September 17th, 2013 at 12:36pm

I am a big fan of wicker products, so I am happy that they are officially back in fashion (although I follow the rule of having things that I like, even if there is not a single store that carries it).
    I also like the product range of Asiatides, I did not know this company before.
    Great round-up, Gudy, and I hope to go to M&O one day!
    Magda´s last blog post ..Color of the year – modern meets vintage

32. Iwona commented
    September 17th, 2013 at 7:08pm

Pastels and colors ♥ I really like the colored chandelier! I greet:)

33. Anthea commented
    September 17th, 2013 at 8:43pm

Thanks so much for such a detailed report and with great pictures too! I like the quirkiness of the ibride trays and furniture and the block colours and patterns of Mariska Meijers and Parsy Debons Design . Their chandelier really makes a statement!

34. Realyn P. commented
    September 19th, 2013 at 10:57am

I call them trendy natives, I love it! And those maisons were so gorgeous, simple yet elegant.
    Realyn P.´s last blog post ..Hotel de Paris: A Grandiose Monte Carlo Hotel

35. Anne Marie Jackson Pattern Occurring commented
    September 19th, 2013 at 8:06pm

Gudy, these are super photos. What is looking fresh to me is the Grass Sent wax and cain vase. Love the material mixing. Norman Copenhagen is always great. Loving the rust colour and cola tinted glassware from Arcade. I know people are hanging on to the black but i feel we need to move on. Tom Dixon did it so well like 6 years ago. Then Li Edelkoort was all over it in 2010. Move into the light people! Give us some iridescent light please. I probably feel this way as i live in seattle and it is dark for so long.
    Be In the Light!
    Anne Marie/Pattern Occurring

36. Bryson Kaleb commented
    September 20th, 2013 at 12:15pm

Great compilation, Gudy, and gorgeous pictures! I particularly love the Burgundy and Inked ceramics trends. Not very common, but very chic. Also like the fact that wickers and bamboos furnitures are en trend again.

37. Gudy Herder commented
    September 20th, 2013 at 12:41pm

Femke Dekker – ter Meulen,
    Oh, I hope you can make it to the January show!

38. Gudy Herder commented
    September 20th, 2013 at 12:43pm

Magda,

Asiatides is the must go if you visit the show one day. It’s always one of the highlights!The owner has Asian roots and works with different designers for the collections. As well, he has always one of the best colour proposals even it didn’t match my personal taste this year.

39. Katriina Seppälä commented
    September 21st, 2013 at 9:50am

Elena,

Thank you Elena for comments. Me and our company had a stand first time in M&O this autumn. How you Elena feel which is the most interesting fair NOW to show your works?
    I am from Finland so like scandinavian style. The candle holder of Norman Copenhagen is fresh idea.

40. Lindsey commented
    September 22nd, 2013 at 12:25am

Oh My Gosh! All of these items and designs are truly inspiring!

Gave me a few DIY ideas for the artsy girl inside of me!

41. Leanne Edwards commented
    September 25th, 2013 at 12:29am

So pleased to hear that pastels and grey are still going strong. I adore those colour combinations. Really hope i can make it to one of the shows next year!

42. Karolina Barnes commented
    October 6th, 2013 at 4:07pm

Thanks for sharing these trends. I attended the show as well and reviewed it on my blog. It’s interesting to see a different review on it as some of the trends I didn’t even notice. The show was so big and unless you plan and split your visit over several days, it’s impossible to view everything. One day definitely wasn’t enough. Thanks for filling the gaps, very helpful and beautiful photos.

43. Iris | c-more interior commented
    October 13th, 2013 at 10:42pm

I totaly agree Karolina! I visited Maison in one day too. To short to see it all. Thx Gudy for your trendreport :-)

44. Hieu Hoang commented
    October 14th, 2013 at 10:49am

I love it…i love it….can’t you believe it
    Hieu Hoang´s last blog post ..3 sample ideas decor Vietnam terracotta pots