Trending: Moody Colors

Hello everyone! Moody, dramatic and captivating – these are the characteristics for this season’s wall colors and so I’d like to highlight the current trend: moody colors! This is Gudy and I’m back with a new trend report. When stylists like Maria Grossmann, Hans Blomquist and even the queen of white walls, Lotta Agaton, start to work into their projects misty blues, different shades of grey and darker greens, you know we are talking about a trend on the rise. For my trend post this month on decor8, we’re going to examine 3 different moody colors with a focus on walls. I am personally working with moody colors this month – here is my current mood board in my studio here in Barcelona.

moody

MOODY BLUES
Deep, dark blue tones are taking over currently in the interior color scheme. I’d describe it as greyish-petrol. Blue is considered a cold color but this hue embodies a wonderful moody atmosphere inviting you to read, sit by the fireplace, gather around table for hours and to relax. I never quite know how to name colors but Farrow & Ball helps out this time calling it Stiffkey Blue in honor of the mud found at Stiffkey beach, Norfolk. The first two interiors shown below have Stiffkey Blue on the walls. As you scroll down, notice the the other moody blues and click on the links I’ve left so that you can visit some pretty amazing websites and portfolios while you’re at it!

stiffkey-blue-2

Styling Ditte Isager for Fritz Hansen

moodyblue_Hans Blomquist sofa
Hans Blomquist

moodyblue_Hans Blomquist chairs
Hans Blomquist

MOODY GREYS
Moody greys can be comforting and are very much in vogue this season in textiles such as thick knits, crumpled linens and tactile fabrics adding a wonderful link to walls painted in a similar shade. Colors range from warm pearl grey to an intense matte charcoal. If you are not too much into a single tone color palette or believe these are too dark for your taste then opt for contrasts with some accent colors in mustard, pink or pops of gold. Teal and grey are beautiful color combos too.

moodygrey_littledandelion

moodygrey_AthenaCalderone_2
Interior Designer Athena Calderone on Refinery 29

moodygrey_GlenProebstel
Styling by Glen Probstel

moodygrey_LaGrangeInteriors La Grange Interiors

MOODY GREENS
Moody moss green is probably the least seen and used domestic wall color so far and mostly applied in styling projects. Pantone called the jewelry tone Emerald the color of the year and we have been observing a flawless transition towards a more moody and richer green inspired by the huge indoor gardening and local farming trend.

moodygreen_jeroenvanderspeck
Stylist Jeroesn van der Spek

moodygreen_vangelis paterakis
Vangelis Paterakis Photography

moodygreen_LucyinaMoodie_2
Stylist Lucyina Moodie

moodygreen_LucyinaMoodie_1
Stylist Lucyina Moodie

moodygreen_bar-co-Helsinski
Joanna Laajisto Creative Studio for Bar & Co in Helsinski

moodygreen_ochre_1
Ochre

These three moody colors have a common base holding some mystery, they are rich and sophisticated in their darker and deeper shade. So, are you moody? How do these colors make you feel? Could you paint your walls in these deep hues? Have you?

Wishing you all a nice Christmas season to come! – Warmly, Gudy

P.S. If you want some more moody inspiration, follow the decor8 MOODY pinboard here.

(images: credited and linked above)

Posted by decor8 in Top Trends on November 21, 2013

1. Traci French commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 6:46pm

This post is one of my all-time favorites. Gorgeous! xo T
    Traci French´s last blog post ..wee wednesday with lindsay | childhood is magic

2. Jenny commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 8:10pm

I love the moody blue colors so much! I´m looking forward to paint one wall in this color, but I´m a little bit affraid of it, too. Will it be too dark, too heavy, too hard? I´l let you know, when I did it!
    Jenny´s last blog post ..Party Survival Kit Korres

3. gosia commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 8:11pm

for some time now I’ve been thinking of this petrol-teal-greyish shade of blue on my kitchen walls (we have olive green cabinets with some dark grey). Alas, my husband wants to keep them the way they are: pale grey. …
    working on convincing him we need a change…

4. Alison Dulaney commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 8:53pm

Moody and dark is the way to go especially for fall! Fantastic inspiration.

5. monsterscircus commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 9:32pm

Oh love this color scheme – the moody colors has a more masculine but yet cozy look. Inspiring post Gudy and thank you so much for sharing. Enjoy your weekend ladies:-)
    monsterscircus´s last blog post ..Danish Christmas Cookies – The Hive

6. geraldine commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 9:38pm

Such beautiful colours Gudy. I’m loving a combination of moody blues and greens, especially a deep Teal tone .A wonderful curated collection of images as always. x
    geraldine´s last blog post ..Advent calendars for 2013 – My favourite five.

7. andrea commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 9:39pm

loving these colors right now!

8. karen Herløv Horte commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 10:22pm

I love the dusty dark blues so much so I’ve painted my livingroom walls and ceiling in that colour. However since live in a place that gets very little sunlight I opted to use a varnish on top to reflect a little more light than the colour otherwise permits.

9. Barbara Cortili commented
    November 21st, 2013 at 11:40pm

Hello Gudy! Thank you for this beautiful post! I am particularly captivated by moody blue shades. It made me remember the ocean in one of those gusty days. I wouldn’t mind to paint a wall in my office room in that exact color.
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..Pretty Notebooks For Designers

10. Cintia Soto commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 6:34am

I love the colors and lighting as a photographer is a great inspiration, great style. I love it.
    Cintia Soto´s last blog post ..Walking around San Gimignano.

11. Lucy Chen commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 8:01am

It’s really nice, but I don’t think I can live in a moody color environment for too long, haha!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..On Truth, Beauty and the Secret of A Masterpiece

12. Elena commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 9:13am

Cannot agree more Gudy: there’s a trend on the rise! Love the post and the selection of images: very representative and inspiring.

Elena
    Elena´s last blog post ..Danish Modern

13. Eva Sossnitza commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 9:53am

I really like those those colours, especially the blue ones. Recently I developed a liking for colours with strange names like “taupe”, “ecru” , “greyish rose”, so the grey palette would also suit me well. But it is visible on the pictures that a sufficient amount of daylight need to shine on these walls. Otherwise the coulours would not be able to develop their deep warmth. And then they might look depressing instead of moody. Unfortunately my corridor is too dark already for a nice grey-petrol…

14. Nina Joy commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 10:01am

Thanks for sharing this. Never knew what to call these colours but moody is a good word. Though I am not much of a moody person, only once a month usually ;), I can be gloomy and at these moments I can definitely use moody colours in my house. In my previous house I used moody gray in my living room and hall walls. I used moody green for my toilet and I still miss this look and feel. In my next house I will definitely use this colour palette. It think it’s nice for a web design too.
    Blog Hug Nina Joy
    Nina Joy´s last blog post ..A bad lecture – Happy Vids # 9

15. lisa lehmann commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 1:47pm

LOVE the colors! love the photos! Maybe I’m just a moody girl :)
    lisa lehmann´s last blog post ..Why is handcrafted jewelry so expensive? A peek behind the scenes!

16. Agata commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 2:13pm

This is something that perfectly reflects my mood today :) beautiful pictures

17. Sujatha commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 2:35pm

Love the colors especially the touch of the burnt orange palette from Homs Blomquist
    Sujatha´s last blog post ..DIY brush holder

18. Cathy Nichols commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 6:54pm

I love the moody colors. I would like to have one room in my dream home (the Wee Zero House) with this color scheme. I would put lots of artwork on 3 walls and bookcases on another. Sigh.
    Cathy Nichols´s last blog post ..Mystery Painting Recovered

19. Gwen. The Makerista commented
    November 22nd, 2013 at 8:51pm

Yes! I am definitely loving the more moody colors lately. I painted a full length mirror’s frame a deep green and just finished painting a chair frame a plum color. I love all these colors, and I think it’s fun and modern to mix them with something different like lilac or a neon of some sort.
    Gwen. The Makerista´s last blog post ..Shared Boys Room Inspiration and a Present Day Throw Back Thursday

20. Kreetta commented
    November 23rd, 2013 at 8:59pm

Gudy, I have one word and that is barock. Somehow moody blue expecially. I love these colors. Thanks for inspiration!
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..It’s the color

21. mel commented
    November 28th, 2013 at 6:01am

These moody colors are so warm and inviting. The rich blues are definitely my favorite. I always so enjoy this trend report Gudy thank you! xx
    mel´s last blog post ..New Zealand Christmas Gift Guide #1

22. Gudy Herder commented
    November 29th, 2013 at 11:37am

Thank you everybody for your comments. I have truly enjoyed reading through them! xx

23. Doris commented
    November 30th, 2013 at 11:00am

Gudy, I love every single image on this post! A moody colour creates such a beautiful background especially against aged wood I feel. Thank you for some colourful inspiration and I hope this is a trend that lasts for many years :). xD
    Doris´s last blog post ..And the winners are…