Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Do you want to know what some of the hottest Holiday Decoration Trends are for this year? Of course you do! Hello, it’s Gudy visiting today with another trend report, this time for the month of December. To finish off this year with a trend post, what better than to talk about the current five decoration trends of this festive season? I’m going to highlight branches, wreaths and 3 different kinds of trees! Ready?

Unknown Agent Bauer, styling work of Tina Hellberg

1. Branches: There’s a lot more than Christmas trees to decorate now such as lovely branches! When added to large jars and vases, they make a great holiday display! Natural wood, white and black, add a real Scandinavian style and radiates quite a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. If it feels a bit minimalist and you find that you crave more color then just add red berries or colorful ornaments to hang.

ChristmasTrendsBranches_1

Walther&Co

ChristmasTrendsBranches_2

Walther&Co

ChristmasTrendsBranches_5

Cathrine Aarsland photography

ChristmasTrendsBranches_6

Kristina Dam

ChristmasTrendsBranches_7

Stilzitat

2. Mini Trees: I have never seen so many small Christmas trees as this year and I love the idea of putting them in a glass jar and also that you can plant them again after the holidays. Holly had a row of them down the center of her table last year when I visited her home in Hannover, each wrapped in burlap. Stylish yet sustainable – a great way of decorating! Their main characteristic and the trend is that they are not adorned (well, maybe one or two small ornaments!) and just stand as a statement by themselves. You might want to give a little festive twist when displaying them in different jars, ceramic pots, buckets, crates or whatever you feel like.

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_1Varpunen

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_2 Silje Vaniljeis

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_3 Dreamy whites

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_4 Tyrifryd

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_5 Inspirations Design

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_6Lily

ChristmasTrends_LittleTrees_7 Coco Lapine Design

stylemeprettytree Style me pretty

3. Faux Trees: Last year we discovered some nice alternatives to the traditional Christmas tree by creating several designs directly on the wall. I have loved observing how so many people get creative and come up with different designs for their faux trees. It’s a nice way too to work with your children and create something together, right? I believe this will be an on-going trend for years to come, there is such a wide possibility of working on designs with different materials, shapes, sizes and colors, don’t you agree?

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_1Minted via Sweet Paul Magazine

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_2 Free People blog

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_3 101 Woonideen

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_4 Sköna Hem from Helt Enkelt

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_5 Down to the woods

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_6 Silvia Radmakers Styling

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_7 Kotivinkki

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_8 StudioDIY

ChristmasTrends_FauxTrees_9 BijzonderMooi

4. Bottle Brush Trees: If you have the time to create some fun DIY Christmas decorations, this is your trend! You can reproduce these using a very mundane kitchen utensil – the bottle brush! Simple give them a hair cut and dye to resemble a Christmas tree. If you want to make it look even more authentic add some glitter, stars, ornaments or vintage figurines.

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_1 A beautiful mess

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_2 Apartment Therapy (vintage trees)

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_3 Ashley Ann Photography

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_4 Going home to roost

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_5 Going home to roost

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_6 Yvestown

ChristmasTrends_BottleBrushTrees_7 Little lovelies by Allison

5. Wreaths: Is there a hotter trend right now than crafting your own wreath? Use unexpected materials foraging your local farmers market, pluck pictures from a family album, add paper elements or whatever you feel like. These kind of wreaths offer a more personal way to celebrate the season. We have even started to spot oval, drop, heart and square shapes this season!

ChristmasTrends_wreath_1

Gang and the wool

ChristmasTrends_wreath_2
Sweet Paul Mag

ChristmasTrends_wreath_3 Stillblog

ChristmasTrends_wreath_4 Bildschoenes

ChristmasTrends_wreath_5 Styling Marie Delice Karlsson & Johanna Flyckt

ChristmasTrends_wreath_6 Weekday Carnival

ChristmasTrends_wreath_7 Dwell Studio

ChristmasTrends_wreath_8 Wild Ridge Design

ChristmasTrends_wreath_9Thomas J. Story for Sunset

ChristmasTrends_wreath_10Victor Schrager for Country Living

I have worked this year mainly with several wreath and different natural branches storing my usual ornaments away.What is your favorite trend of these five? Have you seen anything else that might be on raise this season? I have truly enjoyed your thoughts and comments over the past month and wish you a merry and mindful Holiday season. - Warmly, Gudy

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Top Trends on December 16, 2013

1. Emma commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 2:21pm

We have these lovely branches with crystal “snow” on them that we put in a large vase on the mantle when it’s wintertime, so branches might be my favorite of these trends.

The faux trees shown here are really fun, too, especially the one with the pom poms! A “traditional” (as traditional as a white tree can get, anyway) tree will always be my favorite, but it is fun to see how creative people get this time of year.
    Emma´s last blog post ..Mercury Glass: A Treasured, Textured Shine

2. Irene commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 2:34pm

Vielen Dank für diese tolle Zusammenstellung. Das sind ganz wunderbare Bilder und ich finde schlichte Bäumchen sehr geschmackvoll! Danke, Holly, und liebe weihnachtliche Grüße aus Wien!
    Irene´s last blog post ..Travelling Back

3. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 3:04pm

i love the branch and mini tree trend.
    so pretty and simple!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

Molly {Dreams in HD}´s last blog post ..Travel :: Lapland, Finland

4. Lucy Chen commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 3:31pm

Love these Christmas decorations! And especially the big plants. They’re the BEST!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..Why is this Painting Scaring Me (with a Video)

5. Kreetta commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 6:21pm

Ah, great reading. I’m just deciding what will be our x-mas tree…just shopped some flowers. We’ll see. Thanks Gudy!
    Kreetta´s last blog post ..Is It Vintage – Happy Families Playing Cards

6. Aileen@AtHomeinLove commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 7:01pm

I love all of these trends and totally agree with them all! I really like the idea of a mini unadorned tree, and I’m planning to make my own wreath this week! I’ve also been noticing lots of the alternative Christmas “trees”. I’m not sure if I like them better, but I do think the one made out of book pages is really clever and pretty…and definitely cheaper & less hassle than a real tree!
    Aileen@AtHomeinLove´s last blog post ..Christmas Wrapping Ideas from Chocolate Creative

7. Elodie (madame love) commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 7:21pm

That is a really well researched article my dear! Some great inspiration for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you my dear Gudy and to you Holly of course!
    xoxo
    Elodie
    Elodie (madame love)´s last blog post ..Lovely flower blogs #8

8. Allyson commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 8:35pm

So many great examples and inspiration for this year’s holiday decorating. Branches and natural elements are big this year, but they always seem to find their place no matter what the trend is. They are so easy to work with and can be paired with so many different looks….why not use them. I absolutely love the geometric take on the gold and metal wreath from Dwell Studio. Who says holiday decorating can’t be chic!
    Allyson´s last blog post ..When in Doubt, Go Back to What Works

9. monsterscircus commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 10:47pm

I’m a very big fan of Christmas so I could go all in on all the trends. Love the natural touch of the branches and it’s really so wonderful to see so many different ideas made of some of the same materials but yet so diverse outcome. Thank you both for sharing and enjoy this lovely time of the year

10. COCOCOZY commented
    December 16th, 2013 at 11:01pm

Love the wreaths and faux trees. They’re so pretty and you can get so creative with them!
    COCOCOZY´s last blog post ..$30 MILLION DOLLAR PARK VIEW PENTHOUSE – SEE THIS HOUSE

11. Karen commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 3:16am

These are definitely all trends I have noticed this year as well. One you didn’t mention is the influx of antlers and deer EVERYWHERE. I know antlers have been a big design trend before Christmas, but everybody is on the antler bandwagon. Except me, I think.

12. mel commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 7:18am

I really like all of these creative ways to decorate for Christmas! I especially love the small trees in a vase, so elegant. Here I go pinning! Thanks Gudy:) M x
    mel´s last blog post ..Menu Multi-Basket by Norm

13. Becky - pretty dandy commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 11:46am

Am I allowed to just love everything on here? What a beautiful selection of pictures you have chosen, Gudy. Just gorgeous. I’m definitely inspired to give the wreath & bottle brush ideas a go!

Merry Christmas!
    Becky

14. Dana @ chocolate and sunshine commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 2:35pm

I like the bottlebrush trees and the mini trees the most. Everything is beautiful but we started a small bottlebrush tree collection for my daughter a couple years ago and are always on the hunt for new additions to her collection.

I had a Ladies Night Ornament Exchange Party this past week-end & bought an extra full-sized tree, a real tree, to place behind the buffet table & decorated it only in silver. Loved the look & probably the same price as multiple smaller ones.
    Fun post!! Merry Christmas to you!
    Dana @ chocolate and sunshine´s last blog post ..We Have a Winner!/Christmas Giveaway The White Rabbit

15. Temmy commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 4:16pm

Thanks for this post Gudy! I’m mloving the mini Xmas trees :)
    Temmy´s last blog post ..Walk boldly into 2014.

16. GANGANDTHEWOOL commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 7:31pm

Oh!!! Holly Becker!!!
    Thank you very much!!!

Super happy to be part of your list.

In LOVE

17. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 8:11pm

This is totally my taste, simple, easy and easy to achieve. I need to get thouse small trees I keep seeing everywhere. Very good post I love it!
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..KITCHEN RENOVATION USING CHOCOLATE CREATIVE WOODEN KNOBS

18. zhi / curiouszhi commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 10:15pm

Of all these trends you’ve mentioned, my favourite is the mini trees since it’s as close to a real big tree which is still my preference (probably simply because I have never had a Christmas tree before! :D)

I’m not too fond of the branches trend in general, but I really like the one by Kristina Dam with the monochrome scheme and geometric ornaments – it’s very graphic and striking.
    zhi / curiouszhi´s last blog post ..Free Printable: Christmas wrapping paper

19. Sonya commented
    December 17th, 2013 at 10:52pm

Love these decorating ideas! I can visualize so many of these festive ideas at home in the mountains.

20. Olivia commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 2:23am

I love this! The faux christmas trees especially struck a chord with me- I love that idea, and I especially love how you can make it so unique. I’m thinking maybe maybe making one out of one out of stockings or maybe wrapping papers. So many possibilities!
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Holiday gift guide

21. Gudy Herder commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 12:14pm

Thank you all for your lovely comments. It seems we have quite some favorites here! Wishing you all a fantastic time decorating! xx

22. Severina commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 2:37pm

Holly, all the ideas are amazing! Happy Christmas!
    Severina´s last blog post ..Kelly Wearstler Work

23. Doris commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 2:43pm

Fantastic post Gudy, Thank You for all of the inspiration. The mini tree’s are also something I’ve seen a lot of lately. xD
    Doris´s last blog post ..Designing a family bathroom with C.P. Hart

24. Barbara Cortili commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 8:32pm

Very inspiring! I love that cookies Christmas tree! Simplicity at its best!
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..That’s Origami!

25. Sarah commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 8:37pm

I loved the Washi Tape tree! I am going to try it with my niece and nephew!
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Art And Appetite

26. Anu commented
    December 18th, 2013 at 9:36pm

Such an inspiring overview and so many great ideas! I have also noticed the popularity of alternative Christmas trees, my favorites are those drawn on the walls using washi tape. Unfortunately I don’t have enough wall space in living room for this kind of tree, but I did a mini version of it and framed it :)
    And branches are really beautiful decorations, I have used those in my home many years already :)
    Anu´s last blog post ..White Christmas

27. Bianca commented
    December 19th, 2013 at 8:49pm

I like especially the geometric paper things! Great idea for a DIY afternoon!
    Bianca´s last blog post ..Im Kupferwahn …