Trends

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

December 16, 2013

Do you want to know what some of the hottest Holiday Decoration Trends are for this year? Of course you do! To finish off this year with a trend post, what better than to talk about the current five decoration trends of this festive season? I’m going to highlight branches, wreaths and 3 different kinds of trees! Ready?

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Agent Bauer, styling work of Tina Hellberg

1. Branches: There’s a lot more than Christmas trees to decorate now such as lovely branches! When added to large jars and vases, they make a great holiday display! Natural wood, white and black, add a real Scandinavian style and radiates quite a comfortable and welcoming atmosphere. If it feels a bit minimalist and you find that you crave more color then just add red berries or colorful ornaments to hang.

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Walther&Co

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Walther&Co

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Cathrine Aarsland photography

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Kristina Dam

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Stilzitat

2. Mini Trees: I have never seen so many small Christmas trees as this year and I love the idea of putting them in a glass jar and also that you can plant them again after the holidays. Holly had a row of them down the center of her table last year when I visited her home in Hannover, each wrapped in burlap. Stylish yet sustainable – a great way of decorating! Their main characteristic and the trend is that they are not adorned (well, maybe one or two small ornaments!) and just stand as a statement by themselves. You might want to give a little festive twist when displaying them in different jars, ceramic pots, buckets, crates or whatever you feel like.

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013Varpunen

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Silje Vaniljeis

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Dreamy whites

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Tyrifryd

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Inspirations Design

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013Lily

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Coco Lapine Design

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Style me pretty

3. Faux Trees: Last year we discovered some nice alternatives to the traditional Christmas tree by creating several designs directly on the wall. I have loved observing how so many people get creative and come up with different designs for their faux trees. It’s a nice way too to work with your children and create something together, right? I believe this will be an on-going trend for years to come, there is such a wide possibility of working on designs with different materials, shapes, sizes and colors, don’t you agree?

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013Minted via Sweet Paul Magazine

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Free People blog

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 101 Woonideen

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Sköna Hem from Helt Enkelt

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Down to the woods

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Silvia Radmakers Styling

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Kotivinkki

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 StudioDIY

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 BijzonderMooi

4. Bottle Brush Trees: If you have the time to create some fun DIY Christmas decorations, this is your trend! You can reproduce these using a very mundane kitchen utensil – the bottle brush! Simple give them a hair cut and dye to resemble a Christmas tree. If you want to make it look even more authentic add some glitter, stars, ornaments or vintage figurines.

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 A beautiful mess

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Apartment Therapy (vintage trees)

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Ashley Ann Photography

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Going home to roost

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Going home to roost

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Yvestown

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Little lovelies by Allison

5. Wreaths: Is there a hotter trend right now than crafting your own wreath? Use unexpected materials foraging your local farmers market, pluck pictures from a family album, add paper elements or whatever you feel like. These kind of wreaths offer a more personal way to celebrate the season. We have even started to spot oval, drop, heart and square shapes this season!

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013

Gang and the wool

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013
Sweet Paul Mag

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Stillblog

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Bildschoenes

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Styling Marie Delice Karlsson & Johanna Flyckt

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Weekday Carnival

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Dwell Studio

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013 Wild Ridge Design

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013Thomas J. Story for Sunset

Holiday Decoration Trends 2013Victor Schrager for Country Living

I have worked this year mainly with several wreath and different natural branches storing my usual ornaments away.What is your favorite trend of these five? Have you seen anything else that might be on raise this season? I have truly enjoyed your thoughts and comments over the past month and wish you a merry and mindful Holiday season.

(text: gudy herder/editing holly becker, images linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

27 Comments

• Reply Emma December 16, 2013 at 2:21 pm

We have these lovely branches with crystal “snow” on them that we put in a large vase on the mantle when it’s wintertime, so branches might be my favorite of these trends.

The faux trees shown here are really fun, too, especially the one with the pom poms! A “traditional” (as traditional as a white tree can get, anyway) tree will always be my favorite, but it is fun to see how creative people get this time of year.

• Reply Irene December 16, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Vielen Dank für diese tolle Zusammenstellung. Das sind ganz wunderbare Bilder und ich finde schlichte Bäumchen sehr geschmackvoll! Danke, Holly, und liebe weihnachtliche Grüße aus Wien!

• Reply Molly {Dreams in HD} December 16, 2013 at 3:04 pm

i love the branch and mini tree trend.
    so pretty and simple!

Molly {Dreams in HD}

• Reply Lucy Chen December 16, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Love these Christmas decorations! And especially the big plants. They’re the BEST!

• Reply Kreetta December 16, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Ah, great reading. I’m just deciding what will be our x-mas tree…just shopped some flowers. We’ll see. Thanks Gudy!

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove December 16, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I love all of these trends and totally agree with them all! I really like the idea of a mini unadorned tree, and I’m planning to make my own wreath this week! I’ve also been noticing lots of the alternative Christmas “trees”. I’m not sure if I like them better, but I do think the one made out of book pages is really clever and pretty…and definitely cheaper & less hassle than a real tree!

• Reply Elodie (madame love) December 16, 2013 at 7:21 pm

That is a really well researched article my dear! Some great inspiration for Christmas. Merry Christmas to you my dear Gudy and to you Holly of course!
    xoxo
    Elodie

• Reply Allyson December 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm

So many great examples and inspiration for this year’s holiday decorating. Branches and natural elements are big this year, but they always seem to find their place no matter what the trend is. They are so easy to work with and can be paired with so many different looks….why not use them. I absolutely love the geometric take on the gold and metal wreath from Dwell Studio. Who says holiday decorating can’t be chic!

• Reply monsterscircus December 16, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I’m a very big fan of Christmas so I could go all in on all the trends. Love the natural touch of the branches and it’s really so wonderful to see so many different ideas made of some of the same materials but yet so diverse outcome. Thank you both for sharing and enjoy this lovely time of the year

• Reply COCOCOZY December 16, 2013 at 11:01 pm

Love the wreaths and faux trees. They’re so pretty and you can get so creative with them!

• Reply Karen December 17, 2013 at 3:16 am

These are definitely all trends I have noticed this year as well. One you didn’t mention is the influx of antlers and deer EVERYWHERE. I know antlers have been a big design trend before Christmas, but everybody is on the antler bandwagon. Except me, I think.

• Reply mel December 17, 2013 at 7:18 am

I really like all of these creative ways to decorate for Christmas! I especially love the small trees in a vase, so elegant. Here I go pinning! Thanks Gudy:) M x

• Reply Becky - pretty dandy December 17, 2013 at 11:46 am

Am I allowed to just love everything on here? What a beautiful selection of pictures you have chosen, Gudy. Just gorgeous. I’m definitely inspired to give the wreath & bottle brush ideas a go!

Merry Christmas!
    Becky

• Reply Dana @ chocolate and sunshine December 17, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I like the bottlebrush trees and the mini trees the most. Everything is beautiful but we started a small bottlebrush tree collection for my daughter a couple years ago and are always on the hunt for new additions to her collection.

I had a Ladies Night Ornament Exchange Party this past week-end & bought an extra full-sized tree, a real tree, to place behind the buffet table & decorated it only in silver. Loved the look & probably the same price as multiple smaller ones.
    Fun post!! Merry Christmas to you!

• Reply Temmy December 17, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for this post Gudy! I’m mloving the mini Xmas trees :)

• Reply GANGANDTHEWOOL December 17, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Oh!!! Holly Becker!!!
    Thank you very much!!!

Super happy to be part of your list.

In LOVE

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo December 17, 2013 at 8:11 pm

This is totally my taste, simple, easy and easy to achieve. I need to get thouse small trees I keep seeing everywhere. Very good post I love it!

• Reply zhi / curiouszhi December 17, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Of all these trends you’ve mentioned, my favourite is the mini trees since it’s as close to a real big tree which is still my preference (probably simply because I have never had a Christmas tree before! :D)

I’m not too fond of the branches trend in general, but I really like the one by Kristina Dam with the monochrome scheme and geometric ornaments – it’s very graphic and striking.

• Reply Sonya December 17, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Love these decorating ideas! I can visualize so many of these festive ideas at home in the mountains.

• Reply Olivia December 18, 2013 at 2:23 am

I love this! The faux christmas trees especially struck a chord with me- I love that idea, and I especially love how you can make it so unique. I’m thinking maybe maybe making one out of one out of stockings or maybe wrapping papers. So many possibilities!

• Reply Gudy Herder December 18, 2013 at 12:14 pm

Thank you all for your lovely comments. It seems we have quite some favorites here! Wishing you all a fantastic time decorating! xx

• Reply Severina December 18, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Holly, all the ideas are amazing! Happy Christmas!

• Reply Doris December 18, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Fantastic post Gudy, Thank You for all of the inspiration. The mini tree’s are also something I’ve seen a lot of lately. xD

• Reply Barbara Cortili December 18, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Very inspiring! I love that cookies Christmas tree! Simplicity at its best!

• Reply Sarah December 18, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I loved the Washi Tape tree! I am going to try it with my niece and nephew!

• Reply Anu December 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Such an inspiring overview and so many great ideas! I have also noticed the popularity of alternative Christmas trees, my favorites are those drawn on the walls using washi tape. Unfortunately I don’t have enough wall space in living room for this kind of tree, but I did a mini version of it and framed it :)
    And branches are really beautiful decorations, I have used those in my home many years already :)

• Reply Bianca December 19, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I like especially the geometric paper things! Great idea for a DIY afternoon!