Inspiration

Looking Ahead To Spring

January 6, 2014

Hello friends! I’ve been thinking a lot about spring, have you? I think it’s because winter hasn’t really come yet here in northern Germany – it’s been consistently in the 50s all season so far so we definitely did not have a white Christmas. I must confess though, that being pregnant and walking everywhere as we do – this has been a true blessing for me. Today the sky is clear and blue, temps are in the low 50s, and all I can think about is that my baby will soon be born, we move this Thursday, my mother will be flying in this Spring, my next book with Leslie Shewring will be published all about decorating at home with fresh flowers and that I have an entirely new apartment to decorate and share with all of you, including the baby’s room.

Looking Ahead To Spring

There is so much to be excited about – plus my birthday is in March and it’s always nice to have a birthday even though getting older isn’t really what we all crave, it is nice to say that another year of life has passed and that many more are ahead – and to ask the question, “What’s next?”.

So yes, I have spring and all the things that it brings on my mind today. I can already imagine blades of fresh grass bursting through grayed fallen leaves, daffodils, tulips, peonies and cherry blossoms at the farmers’ market and taking long walks with my baby in the forest. Simple, beautiful moments that will be so much more special with a little one in my life. I’m also thinking about the direction of my business, this blog and the many ideas I’ve started to develop over the weekend after writing, Resolve To Be Happy. I can’t wait to slowly unfold the pages of what I plan to do as time goes by, but for now I’m just focusing on moving, childbirth and navigating the new life of a first time mommy. Yet, I cannot help but think about decorating, design, spring trends, new products that will soon hit market… Exciting!

Looking Ahead To Spring

See the photos in this post? I took them in May last year when Leslie was at my house and we were shooting and styling our upcoming book, Decorate With Flowers. These photos are not in the book, but I thought to share them anyway because they are so pretty. I also love putting flowers beneath bell jars, though you can’t keep them there long as they fade very fast – but for dinner parties or for guests, a few hours is just fine. Aren’t flowers inspiring? And wow, so spring-y!

Are you thinking about spring, too? If so, what are you looking forward to? Do you have some plans? Are you also a spring baby, born in March, April or May like me? Do you have a new baby on the way? Are you considering some changes in your life and if so, what? I’d like to know because it really encourages me to hear what you are up to – makes me feel more of a push towards the positive, too.

(photos/styling: holly becker)

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

• Reply Erin S. January 6, 2014 at 4:20 pm

My one and only true New Year’s Resolution is to break out of my “meh” cubicle job (that I have stayed at far too long) and have a more inspiring, creative career. Life is too short and I will make it happen this year!

• Reply Sheneela Akram January 6, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Oh Holly! This is so wonderful. You just made my day. I am so looking forward to see spring too. And all the blooms and their amazing scent all over the place. Gardens full of life and colors…I so want to walk on the grass barefoot and listen to all the songs of the birds. I love the spring more outside than inside.
    We shall be seeing your baby in a few weeks now. I wish you all the best and lots of health and happiness along the way. Stay blessed.

• Reply Christina // Franny & Franky Designs January 6, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Lovely photos! I would be looking forward to spring… but I live in Florida and it has been so darn humid here! Usually spring is a really beautiful time around here, but I have no idea what it will be like this year, what with our unseasonably warm winter :(

As for new babies… Our “new baby” is turning 1! I can hardly believe it. Other changes this year will be me focusing more on my new graphic design shop over on Etsy, working on marketing that more, and just being more present in general, since I spent much of this past year worrying about our baby (if he was sleeping enough, eating enough, gaining enough) and now all of a sudden he’s a toddler.

• Reply Emma January 6, 2014 at 4:36 pm

While I’m a winter baby myself (December!) and am not expecting, I am looking forward to spring–namely because much of the country is experiencing record-breaking cold temperatures right now, so it’s good to remember that bright colors and higher temperatures are coming.

• Reply Traci January 6, 2014 at 5:37 pm

My birthday is in March too–technically the last official day of winter, although I always think of it as the first day of spring. Spring is a beautiful time of renewal and I am ALWAYS looking forward to it. :]

• Reply Lauren Holden January 6, 2014 at 5:38 pm

It’s so exciting waiting for spring and the first few signs of life, isn’t it? I hope all runs smoothly with the new arrival and you’re well and prepared for the upheaval.

All the very best.

Lauren x

• Reply Frances Marin January 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I’m already thinking about spring too! I have many plans for the first few months this year, including working on the final version of my children’s book and an art show in April. I want this year to be more efficiently busy so I can enjoy other things and spend more quality time with people in my life. I think as creative people, we are always thinking of that part of our lives, even midst bigger things like childbirth!

• Reply Sasha January 6, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Dear Holly,

I too think of spring already or rather it feels like it’s spring, as here in Slovakia the New year started with green grass, rain and even some buds. Just like you, I have a big change ahead of me. After three years of time-alone here in Slovakia, I decided at the age of 33 it was time to do something about my life – I’m single and I live alone in my parent’s home and I am struggling to promote a creative business we started with a friend two years ago, sooo I decided to turn it all upside down and accept the offer of a long-time friend to move with him to Barcelona. I am leaving on the 15th. I am excited but scared at the same time. Leaving the comfort zone is not as easy as it was in my 20s when I decided to move to Prague – but hey, I ended up living there for 9 years and finding my first love….let’s wait to see what Barcelona has to offer.

I wish you a very happy year and joy with your soon-to-be-born newborn (:

Sasha

• Reply Polly Rowan January 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I am looking forward to Spring too! And I know what you mean – Winter hasn’t truly come in London either. It is cold but it’s not FREEZING cold and nowhere near snowing. But it is very grey and rainy so I can’t wait for warmer weather and sun.
    Sounds like you have lots of exciting things coming up. I’m looking forward to being more creative with my blog and my textile designing. I am a Winter baby, born in February. I’ve never liked having my birthday in the Winter but at least it’s something to look forward to :)
    Looking forward to seeing your new apartment x

• Reply Magda January 6, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Yes, I do think about spring already and today this feeling was quite strong when I got rid of our Christmas tree today. I always tend to delay this moment, afraid of feeling a void after the Holidays. But hey, spring is on the way, so why should I be unhappy? As a matter of fact, I have some career plans this year, as I am about to launch my surface pattern design business as a freelancer. I hope this is the very first step towards something bigger one day.
    I am May child, as well my wedding anniversary is also in May, so…Spring, come ASAP as you are the best!

• Reply Carole Poirot January 6, 2014 at 6:37 pm

I tend to “come to terms” with grey and rainy weather during November and then actually enjoy the cosiness of candlelight and fairy lights, so I’m not too fussed about Spring just yet. That’s probably a good thing seeing that winter seems to arrive later every year in the UK (much like the North of Germany). Maybe I’ve found a tiny way of being happy – enjoying what’s on offer at the moment. Having said that, if I was moving home, had a baby on the way and a book, then I’d probably think slightly differently and flowers are always a great idea, no matter what time of the year :-)

• Reply Kate January 6, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Oh, I look forward to spring so much! I’m an April baby and one of sisters is expecting a baby herself in just about a week! So by springtime I’ll have a plump, joyful little niece or nephew to dote on–a totally ridiculous amount of dotage is about to happen. All the best with your adventures this spring! :D

Kate

Artsy Abroad // http://artsyabroad.blogspot.com

• Reply {leah} January 6, 2014 at 7:20 pm

I love the thoughts on the freshness and new beginnings of spring. Can’t wait to see how you decorate your new home. We have lots of plans and things on the horizon here this year, too!

• Reply Brandyn | Southern Distinctions January 6, 2014 at 7:54 pm

Being an avid gardener Spring is my favorite season. Sunshine and spring breezes cure all my winter woes!

• Reply zhi / curiouszhi January 6, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Spring is my favourite season of all. The longer days, cool weather (not uncomfortably warm like summer) and the flowers slowly blooming… it all just feels like so much positivity brimming when I think of spring. :) Personally, for this year, I’m putting more effort to my creative pursuits (designing, drawing, blogging, photography) and I’m looking forward to see how I grow by the time Spring rolls by.. :)

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 7, 2014 at 1:33 am

I should have known this image was your home & styling. I fell for it on pinterest and well, I LOVE it! Thinking of you and your upcoming adventures!
    YAY!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Beth @Burlap & Roses January 7, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Erin S.,
    Please act on your ‘hearts desire’ as soon as you can. It makes life so much sweeter when what you’re passionate about is your life’s “work”.

• Reply Louisa Blackmore January 7, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Carole Poirot,

I’m so with you on that Carole!

• Reply Louisa Blackmore January 7, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Holly – so excited to see how your decorate your new home. I hope you are able to put your feet up a little before the baby arrives :) Much love and best wishes for an early spring x

• Reply Sarah January 7, 2014 at 10:12 pm

I have resolved to start taking myself on more creative “dates”: trips to the museum, a night at the theater, attending a poetry reading.

• Reply Claire January 9, 2014 at 6:04 pm

A lovely post Holly and good to get a peek behind the scenes and see some shots that didn’t make the book (but are still lovely).

I have made a list of 10 things that I’m looking to achieve this year. You can read more about it on my blog if you are interested as I wrote a post about it this week. I love goal setting fun challenges and things I’d like to learn such as a new skill each year. I’m not really good at keeping resolutions such as ‘get fitter/diet’ etc. I need something more interesting to motivate me!
    Claire.x

• Reply dawn January 12, 2014 at 5:33 pm

hello miss holly,

i am a spring baby … i haven’t thought about that in a very long time … my parents named me dawn renee’ … rebirth, rebirth, in a rebirth month… i had forgotten that, thank you for that reminder … spring is my favorite season for the very reason that everything comes to life again … we have had it -30 F, so i am not thinking of spring just yet … lots of winter to go yet. :)

• Reply Holly Hudson January 14, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Spring is my favorite season, if I was pregnant (I am not @ 57) and having a daughter, Spring would be her middle name….I love everything about spring, longer daytime, beautiful flowers, lush green grass….Easter with my family.

I did have 3/5 boys in the spring, April ’84, May ’88 & June ’89…..it is perfect for a new mom, especially since you’ll probably have the baby in a front snuggie…you won’t get over-heated. My two daughters were born in Sept/Oct.

I was born in early December, my name is Holly.

enjoy your pregnancy; don’t worry about childbirth — your team of professionals & husband will be there; and throw out your clocks….childbirth & babies/children are on their own schedule. at this very moment, my husband of 35+ years is on OB Call for Anesthesia, one of the most rewarding aspects of anesthesia.

Holly
    PS I love all of those light fixtures, I would love to have ’em in our townhouse

• Reply Waschmaschinen Ersatzteile - nepiix December 5, 2014 at 12:05 am

Is it really worth thinking about the winter?
    Winter is coming just like Christmas!

I wish you all a blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Tom