Let’s Talk About Plants

Let’s talk about plants (again). Okay so I’m not a plant person, I’m a total flower girl. And this has NOTHING to do with not liking plants and more to do with killing them quicker than I’m betting any human can possibly kill a plant. I was raised with plants in the house, my mother loves them, and my husband has a windowsill full of them in his home office which he cares for beautifully. Me, well I have a single aloe vera plant on my window and in the kitchen, a few unknown species and some succulents, and I’ve even managed to kill succulents so you can already see that something wasn’t wired correctly in my head. It’s really lame honestly and breaks my heart a little bit that plants never became part of my decor or life in general because I’m a bit intimated by them. Well, not a bit. A lot.

bad90e4edb155258d596f33af2f8f644 Via Albatross

By the way, what kind of succulent is the first one shown far left on the above bench? I’ve been trying to ID it for days… I digress.

I love nature, I mean I love it. LOVE. IT. I could adopt every stray animal, bring home motherless squirrels by the truckload and I’m constantly hauling home branches, leaves and other fallen objects from trees whenever I’m walking in the forest. In fact, I live in this particular house because we have a million acre (not really but it’s massive) forest behind us. Nature is my thing; I grew up on the coast and spent nearly every day on the beach until I was in my twenties. Why aren’t plants a part of my life and furthermore, when I do adopt them, why do I neglect them so terribly? What am I missing here? Are you the same, or?

4b3bb70b4f6de839d28e3961dd99ef65 Via Stylizimo

I thought I’d dedicate this post to those of us who are finally catching on to plants and who are considering adding them to our decor, and even more, maintaining them so they live for awhile. I’m hoping that you plant PROS out there can leave us some advice in the comments section – I certainly need it. We have a few three-season porches on our house and a balcony along with big windowsills in every room so there is more than enough room to decorate with plants. And we have nice daylight, too. I keep looking at those fiddle leaf plants, because they’d be gorgeous on the porches, and I really love succulents because they are so low maintenance, but I really need to branch out (literally).

84cddbc5b9a35b2c762f2812acb65853Via: Broste Copenhagen

Can you suggest some good starter plants for a total plant-phobic? Something easy so I don’t have to water them a thousand times a day, that aren’t poisonous (in case my future baby decides to chew on a leaf when I’m not looking) and I certainly cannot have plants that will run the house, plants that my friends will want to roll and smoke, and plants that go so wild that my home becomes a jungle that I have to constantly dust and maintain, I don’t want to live in the Rain Forest Cafe if you know what I’m sayin’. They also cannot require full on sunlight all day because we’re all not lucky enough to live in the Mediterranean or LA. See, I have a real plant anxiety disorder, don’t I? Plant worry grips me.

e97fcbd54183c574f0f3f7ff31ac837fVia IKEA

Looking at these photos, I can definitely get behind the whole plant trend right now, can’t you? I love how clean and modern these spaces look without a 70s/80s flashback into my childhood home. I love my mother, but we had so many hanging plants and plants in macrame and plants growing other plants (spider plants with their “babies”), it was all just too much for me, I would feel suffocated with so much crowding my windows and my home in general. But I can definitely do a few here and there and honestly, I should because they are great for the air quality and look so pretty! What about you?

28_dsmg7603finalVia Derek Shapton

5f50a6a91ba11507cf5989badf534537

Via: D*S

1nina

Via D*S

8593637833_b77a08a256_b

Via William Dangar & Associates

So guys, what do you think? Any advice for me and others reading this blog who haven’t jumped onto the plant bandwagon yet? Any tips and tricks to share? Product suggestions? Plant species you’d think I’d like? With Spring coming, I’m ready to make a commitment to a few green cuties and honestly, it’s about time I grow up – I’m going to be a mommy soon for goodness sake.

Here is another post of mine from last year where I talk about plants and show some gorgeous images, too. But I’m ready to walk the talk now guys. I’m ready to haul butt to the garden center in a few months and get rollin’ on this whole plant thing, so help me if you can!

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on January 15, 2014

1. Marilyn commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 5:33pm

I use to think I had no green thumb either but now I have 11 plants in my apartment. The key to keeping your plants alive is to put them on a schedule. I water my plants every Saturday morning and I don’t touch them again during the week unless I spot a dry leaf that needs plucking.

The best plant to get is any kind of ivy plant like the ones hanging in the first Design Sponge photo. I have had the same plant for almost seven years and as the vines get longer, I trim them and stick them in other glass vases and they become new plants.

I did have a Jade plant once and I totally killed it, not sure how but needless to say, I didn’t get another.
    Marilyn´s last blog post ..A Pulp Sushi Wedding

2. Monaqo commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 5:37pm

Dear Holly – I really had to smile reading about your conflicting relationship to plants. I posted about that topic some weeks ago.
    Same tenor, so we have this in common: loving plants but (unfortunately) killing them ;o)
    Monaqo´s last blog post ..Neue Accessoire Kollektion von Tom Dixon: COG

3. Catherine commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 5:51pm

I’ve been craving having some green around my home. I think it’s due to looking out at white & gray all day. I went to a local market last weekend and picked up a little fern. It was so whimsical and sweet – – reminded me of a little forest! I haven’t had a lot of luck with plants, but I know that our ferns in the yard require nothing to thrive, so I’m hoping the same holds true for this houseplant.

My only tip is to find a low care plant (start with just one!) and put it in a place where you cannot forget about it. I kill any plants that I put on our windowsill in the bedroom or on our mantel because I totally forget they are there & don’t water them.

Good luck! :)

4. Katie commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 5:59pm

Top picture, first plant on the left = Burro’s Tail succulent.

5. Fräulein Julia commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:14pm

Well, start with some succulents and a cactus and it can’t go wrong as they do not need much water and care and enjoy sun a lot ;o) (as well as simply looking great!)

6. Laura commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:14pm

That plant in the top picture is a Donkeys Tail, I’m pretty sure! I inherited one from an old roommate

7. Kelsey commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:15pm

The first plant on the left looks to be a burro’s tail or donkey’s tail succulent.

8. Sherena commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:22pm

It’s a Donkey’s Tail/Burro’s tail or Sedum morganianum.

9. Angela commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:28pm

I’d love to have plants inside my house but, like you, I’m a little intimated by them. I don’t have a good advice to share, but I’d love to see what your readers have to say. All these images are so inspiring and they make me wanna fill my house with so many plants… I don’t know if they would survive, though…

10. luann commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:32pm

The plant name is burro tail. Also try some snake plant also called mother in laws tongue its hard to kill also philodendron is hardy and pretty

11. Laura @ Rather Square commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:38pm

I just posted on my blog about the parsley I grew this summer (and recently dried and stored in my pantry). Parsley is actually a really easy plant to grow. I often forgot to water it or even look at it during the summer, and it was still flourishing by late autumn. It’s a very hardy plant, with the additional benefit of enhancing the flavor of so many foods. You can pretty much add it to anything, dried or fresh. It’s hard to kill. :)
    Laura @ Rather Square´s last blog post ..Preserving fresh herbs

12. Melissa P commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:42pm

Ah, yes…the spider plant with its babies. It’s certainly a plant with a lot of memory associations for me too.

That unknown plant would be Donkey’s Tail (Sedum morganianum) which is one of my favorite succulents for hanging pots. It is very easy to propagate, even for those without a green thumb. Even the leaves can be grown into new plants!

For anyone not wanting to invest a lot in something that you may or may not be able to keep alive, I recommend getting “babies” from friends, especially if they’re succulents or other easily propagated plants.

13. Noelle commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 6:45pm

I believe the plant in the first image on the far left is Sedum Acre. I love it too!

14. Elisabeth commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:00pm

I *think* the little guy on the left of the top pic is a trailing sedum. Plants are up there with laughter, pets, & love on my list of things that help make a house a home.

15. adair commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:28pm

the succulent is called wither donkey/burro’s tail or lamb’s tail!

16. Lysse commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:33pm

Well, this post is so welcome.
    This week i jumped into my car after long workdays and from monday till now on, i’m visiting gardencenters to look for thát plant that i might like for my living room. But i can’t find it. I just don’t like them, or am afraid to kill them if they look fragile. Some are too green, some are too obvious. But when i’m spying on Pinterest: i found the one I want. The Eucalyptus plant. I love grey colored leafs just like the Phlebodium (google this), that I have in my kitchen. But guess what: in Holland they don’t sell eucalyptus to have indoors.
    Not a very big problem though :-) But i just want to say that I understand your feelings about plants. It’s hard. Difficult. But i love them, they can make an interior so personal.

17. Karen commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 7:49pm

Try a ZZ Plant! I have had one for years and it just won’t quit, despite all my neglect and low light. I’ve tried the whole Fiddle Leaf thing a million times and it’s just not.. going.. to happen.

18. Svetlana commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:13pm

The plant you’re wondering about in the first photo is called donkey tail.

Snake plants and peace lilies are the easiest to care for in my experience, but if you have enough daylight and know how to water, most plants will thrive.

Having plants indoors is very important! There are lots of chemicals in our homes (from paint, particle board, printed paper, etc.) that plants filter out.

19. amanda commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:19pm

As someone who has killed a fair share of succulents i call bull**** on everyone saying that they are indestructible. It fat they require pretty specific lighting and moisture to keep them happy and healthy – turns out, my apartment just doesn’t have the right light for them.

I have a plant addiction so my house is filled with those plants that are truly hard to kill. mother in laws tongue, rubber plants, ferns and vines. If you have low light they seem easy to keep alive if you have a lot of direct light – i envy your potential.

20. Di commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:30pm

Hi Holly. What you need is Aspidistra. Common name – cast iron plant. It’s not called this for nothing. It has lovely dark green leaves. Quite long and wide. It doesn’t need lads of water. Can survive in low light and looks quite abundant after 12 months or so. Very difficult to kill. Should be available in Germany.
    All the best from Newport Beach Australia. Di x

21. Summer commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:36pm

Pretty Post! as a (former) plant killer I will tell you that my problem was caring too much for the plants. Good soil, proper container, appropriate light and NOT over watering are the basics. Plants that take neglect and look great, Fiddle Ficus Leaf Fig Tree, the Dragon Tree and Sansevieria (Snake Grass) Plant…Rubber Trees are cool and reminiscent of the 70’s for me. Fiddle Leaf need Bright Light, need to sit on the floor and be in well-drained soil. http://houseplants.about.com/od/foliageplants/p/Ficus-Lyrata-growing-Fiddle-leaf-Fig-Indoors.htm
    Bonne Chance!

22. Gwen. The Makerista commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:48pm

I love this post! Plants can be very intimating and I used to have a really black thumb. Now I have at least 30 indoor plants. I started with an orchid and grew from there. They need some bright light and 3 ice cubes once a week and that’s it! They will keep their flowers for up to a few months.

I wrote about some of the plants I have in our home and something that I found essential to keeping them alive here.

A snake plant is a great choice. They don’t require much water or sunlight and it’s pretty hard to kill them. The number one killer of plants seems to be overwatering.

Most plants are unfortunately not great for kids to eat, but I’ve found most of my plants are on tabletops or shelves that babies can’t get to anyway. I have a few trees, and while I found my daughter playing in the dirt a few times, she’s never tried to pull off a big fig leaf and chomp away. :) Best of luck, I know you can do it!
    Gwen. The Makerista´s last blog post ..Making a Home: The Kid’s Space: The Details

23. Doreen commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 8:50pm

I loved reading about your experience. I can understand your reaction so well. I find plants do tend to attract dust, in the city at least. It is just great to leave so much space between the plants. Their amazing forms begin to take on a quality beyond the plant itself. And they do have amazing forms.
    This was such a nice article. Thank you, Doreen

24. decor8 commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 9:16pm

@Amanda – ha ha Well said!!!

25. Anthea Grob commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 9:28pm

Hi Holly, I was given an electronic gizmo with prongs you put into the soil, it’s great for realizing you don’t need to water , or you do, when life gets distracting and you don’t know if things need water. I use it heaps.

26. Hannah Mattinson commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 9:31pm

Hi Holly,

I inherited a cactus when I moved in to my house – so kindly donated by the ex tenant. And so far it’s being going pretty well.
    However, I tend to get more excited about the planter than the leaves of green themselves. http://my-first-house.com/quirky-furnishings/cool-plant-pots/ The book planter is my particular fave

xx

27. Jessica commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 9:44pm

Oh, Amanda, I SO agree regarding succulents! I have killed so many. They require really specific things that I, too, do not possess.

One thing that sets people up to fail with plants is that often at large garden centers the plants can arrive with or acquire problems. Even though one plant looks really cute, pick it up and check it out. Esp the base where the plant meets the dirt. Any yellow leaves? Not the one for you. If you tap the side of the pot, do little gnats buzz? Leave it behind. Roots coming out of the bottom of the pot? Set it down and back away.

Bright green leaves and new ones coming in? Yes! No little buzzing things or webs? Woo hoo! Healthy, bushy growth with no leggy bits stretching for light? Awesome!

Its not that those plants with problems are bad, they’re just better left to people with experience in handling those matters. And the plant is already stressed. You want a stress free plant!

African violets are not poisonous. Rather Victorian, yes. ALSO, Air Plants. No dirt involved, happy to be forgotten.

28. Lynn commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 10:10pm

Hi Holly,

Lots of great suggestions above! I also think a bromeliad is quite easy to grow and colorful. Tillandsia’s are also nice and easy care. Ferns are beautiful too.

I think sometimes we try too hard with plants. Of course they need watering and attention but I think that we tend to go overboard because we don’t want to kill the darn thing! Then, of course, we kill it by over watering. It also can be a matter of trial and error. Not all plants will grow for all people and their situations.

Keep trying….you’ll find a winner :)

Love your blog!
    ~Lynn

29. Chasity commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 10:39pm

The first plant is a donkey’s tail. I have one and I LOVE it! It just keeps growing and growing, longer and longer.

30. Anastasia of Stilzitat commented
    January 15th, 2014 at 11:29pm

Holly, remeber our conversation on Instagram a while ago where I suggested you get a mint colored ‘sedum burrito’ to match your mint colored glass cabinet? This is the first plant shown on the first photo… Now I am a bit confused, bc you say, you’ve been struggling to identify it for days.. because on IG you said, you already had some and those have gotten very leggy…. I really want to have a huge sedum burrito…. I ordered one but unfortunately my florist can’t get any, he even went to Holland to get some and couldn’t find any at this time of the year. A bummer bc I really love to decorate with my army of cacti and succulents right now! I used to be a killer too, but I worked on this destructive relationship and now we live in a healthy environment…. I hope you can find the right plants to live with… I’m sticking to my Sedum Burrito though :-)
    Anastasia of Stilzitat´s last blog post ..DIY CONCRETE TABLE

31. Lucy Chen commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:23am

I LOVE plants, too, and especially the in-house pot plants! I’m going to bring the garden inside our house slowly after we settle in our new home this weekend.
    By the way, is the painting in the top 6th photo by Audrey Kawasaki? She’s one of my favorite!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..Why You Should Read “Leonardo’s Swan” Now

32. Loveash commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:57am

I used to accidentally kill all sorts of plants until I got a fig tree as a present. It’s still alive, and that was at least 5 years ago. Mother-in-law’s tongue is also pretty low maintenance. Good luck, I hope you find some plants to get along with!

33. Rochelle Greayer commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 1:52am

I love recommending plants! I will second a bunch of these recommendations…(snake plant, zz, cast iron plant, pothos, jade plant – and yes that first one is a donkey tail sedum) — but there are a couple that I love because they are so under appreciated for their easy care and beauty. A pony Palm is just about the easiest thing to grow — and they are totally cute. Also Cymbidium orchids are really easy too. They have great grassy/ strappy foliage and the blooms are like clockwork a couple times per year – and totally gorgeous. I totally ignore mine and it really doesn’t mind. Also try a clivia….great blooms (orange) and also pretty indestructible. You can do it holly — especially with the right plants … baby steps, try one and then just keep exploring from there. Also — one last thing….if you know someone with a donkey tail sedum you can can start your own from theirs so easily. Just snap off a few stems, remove a few of the ‘leaves’ around the base of your cutting leaving a clean stem that you can insert into potting soil. Do maybe 3 -5 in a 5 in diameter pot, keep them just damp and they will root in about a month. Dead easy. If you have questions… I’d be happy to answer.

34. Erin Frost commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 2:25am

Hi Holly,
    I am a horticulturist. I live in Boston, your old home (downtown in a loft by South Station). The deal with houseplants is that you have to match their preferences; light, water and temperature with the conditions in your home. Once you have that figured out you will have happy plants. If you put a high light succulent in a dark corner of your apartment and water it weekly it will die v e r y s l o w l y. Most people buy plants and then confuse their slow death with a black thumb. Having a happy plant means that it loses minimal leaves, produces new leaves weekly, has good leaf color with no blemishes, and blooms once a year or produces seeds. Which direction do your windows face? How far from the window do you want to have a plant. (Every foot away from their light source reduces their ability to make food by 50% .) Many people treat houseplants like “longer living” cut flower and dispose of them after they flower or loose vigor. My advice to you is the following. Find spots near the window to put your plants and figure out your light (does the building shade it how many hours of light do you have). Pick plants that are suited to those light conditions, high, medium or low light. Check your plants weekly (same day each week) and water as needed, don’t just throw water on them, look, feel the soil. Most homes that heat are too dry for houseplants so consider a humidifier, ours is great for both plants and people. Or a spray bottle (make sure it’s pretty and sits near the plant) works well for plants that require humidity, I spritz each morning. Use a time release fertilizer Osmocote and reapply it every 3 months, you can bury it in the soil a bit. Groom your plants monthly/weekly, remove dead or blemished leaves so they can grow new ones and are always looking their best, mostly just observe them and see how they grow through the year. Use a mixture of compost and potting soil and the right size container when you replant them into their fashionable, new homes. Always choose a pot with good drainage. Cover the soil with small rocks, moss or bark bits so their roots which are close to the surface are protected and soil does not splash when you are watering. This practice also helps with children digging. My son is 5 and he is very into touching things but he observes the plants and does not eat them or harm them. Mostly he watches me and follows my model. Don’t worry about harmful plants at this point, you have some time.
    Sorry for the length, but you did ask…
    Erin Frost´s last blog post ..2013 Preschool Garden Plan

35. Becca commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 4:21am

Was pleasantly surprised to see my friend and fellow photographer Tara McMullen’s space on here! Image by another favourite photographer of mine, Derek Shapton. Tara’s place is beautifully decorated and the ladder + plant combo is a total winner. Thanks for sharing Holly!

36. Kathleen commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 5:57am

Memories! Grandma gave me a Donkey’s Tail plant and I managed to over water it and it died. But one of my prize possessions is the small ceramic pot it was in. Just because it is a succulent doesn’t mean it is easy to grow.

37. Jill Anderson commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 7:41am

I’m better with outdoor plants, but the peace lily is one of the easiest house-plants, it has elegant dark green leaves & the occasional white flower. It’s pretty indestructible, happy in shade & if you forget to water it you just sit it in a saucer of water for a couple of hours & it bounces back……. house plants are good for purifying the air too!

38. 2moiselles commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 8:03am

Love these plant’s selection . I kill all my plants so I haven’t any in my house but I would love to fill my house of plants :-)
    xx
    2moiselles
    2moiselles´s last blog post ..Le style glam rock

39. Andrea commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 9:34am

Ha, coincidence is a funny thing. I started a pinterest board a little while ago called ‘green inside’ focussed on ….well, green (plants) inside. So when I popped in today and saw this post I laughed. The post was just waiting for me wasn’t it! I always love walking into homes with lots of plants…but like you I succeed in, well, killing them.. Maybe the gods are conspiring, and I too should have a think about greening inside!
    Andrea´s last blog post ..Strongsoutherly Society 6 print giveaway

40. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 10:17am

@Anastasia – Hi – I was asking last week on IG about a plant species that a few of you thought you knew the name of but no one was sure, so I posted the first image here to show it again to hopefully get the answer (top image). I also said on IG that I already had a burros tail, which I did, but I gave it away during my move so I no longer have it. :) :)

41. Sandra commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 10:41am

Hi there!
    Long time reader, first time poster. :)
    I’ve put together a list of plants that i think are fairly easy to care for.
    I work in a flower shop, and to a customer with your “problem” i would recommend trying these plants.
    This is my little way of giving something back to you, as a thank you for what you give us year after year. <3

Aloe plants

Kalanchoë thyrsiflora

Echeverias
    (so many different beautiful ones)

Howea forsteriana, Kentia palm

Syngonium, Arrowhead vine

Senecio rowleyanus, string of perls

Epipremnum aureum, pothos plant

Araucaria heterophylla, Norfolk island pine
    (said to bring happiness to a marriage)

Peperomia argyreia, Watermelon peperomia

Different peperomias
    (there are so many beautiful peperomias, some very easy)

Haworthia fasciata, zebra haworthia

Chlorophytum comosum, Spider plant

Tolmiea menziesii
    (in sweden we call it mother and child plant ;) )

Crassula ovata, jade plant

Different crassulas

Ceropegia woodii, string of hearts

Sedum morganianum, burro's tail

Rubber plant

Hoya plants, many different ones, some very very easy

Myrsine
    (dont confuse them with myrtles, as they are difficult)

Good luck! :)

42. Emelie @florainspiro commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 11:05am

I know exactly what you mean about too many trailing plants ;)
    Some of my favourite plants are pilea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilea_peperomioides (water once aweek) and maidenhair fern http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Adiantum_fragrans_(aka).jpg (water twice aweek). And I have to admit that I love geraniums (preferely óld and high ones) even though they are “granny flowers” ;)
    My best advices about plant is 1) a watering schedule, as someone already said.
    And 2) even thought I hate to see plant dyíng it happens. I’m a florist but that doesn’t mean I’m that good with taking care of my own plants. Sometimes it’s the heating in ´the house/flat that kills it, sometimes not enough water or too much water. But as long as the plant didn’t cost more than a weekly bouquet/bunch of flowers it’s ok. I enjoy it while I can and I try my best, that’s it I can’t do more than that m ;)
    Good luck with your plants Holly! :)

43. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:20pm

Sandra – THANK YOU – and wow, amazing comment!!!!

44. Lena commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:27pm

Haha, I know exactly what you’re talking about, I seem to have that same wire-disconnection in my head, even though I love indoor plants and admire people who are more talented (or patient?) with them.
    Have you heard of the “urban jungle bloggers”, started by Igor from happy interior blog and Judith from joelix (who is linked in your first image?) http://www.pinterest.com/igorjosif/urban-jungle-bloggers/
    They have created a whole blogger community around that theme. I haven’t been brave enough to join them yet, still learning from them…
    Lena´s last blog post ..COLOR COMBO #1

45. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:30pm

@Lena – Heard about urban jungle bloggers until last night on twitter by Igor, he saw this post and was nice enough to tell me about it – I’ll have to check out his pinterest board!
    I started a plants board about a year ago on Pinterest if you need more green inspiration:

46. Iro Nassopoulos commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 12:52pm

Among all other plants who haven’t made it, I’m just so overjoyed to hear about your aloe vera still being close to you.

I hope it brings you happiness. I don’t know about consuming it – whether it’S particularly dangerous or not – but can verify that the rich juice its leaves have is beneficial for soothing skin.
    So perhaps it’ll be ok when one day your little one might cut or break a leaf.

With labor and your beautiful son coming in your life, “worries” about not being such a good “plant mother” could fly outside the window!… who cares after all? Everyone has their strengths & weaknesses after all. You’ll have many & other virtues to share.

Wishing you all the very best during these last days of your pregnancy and the most amazing time ahead from his arrival and on for both you and Thorsteen.

The kindest of regards & may all blessings be with you.

Iro xo

47. Judith commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 1:26pm

Hi Holly, so glad that you found out about the “Urban Jungle Bloggers” project by Igor and myself (and a growing community of green bloggers!). Today we published our favorite green bloggers, instagrammers and pinners, so I’m sure there will be some more inspiration for you in there.

I agree that the whole which-plants-should-I-choose-for-my-home can be overwhelming, but in the links above in the comments are some brilliant suggestions. It’s all about trial & error and about seeing what works for you and your home, but before you know it, you’ll be hooked ;) Thanks for sharing your insights, Holly!

Judith´s last blog post ..Urban Jungle Bloggers #5

48. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 2:11pm

@Iro – Hi Iro, nice to hear from you. I have to show you a photo of my aloe – are you on Instagram? Do you still live in Frankfurt?

49. Iro Nassopoulos commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 2:27pm

decor8,

Hi Holly,

yes I am incredibly happy & immensely grateful to be living with J in the home we “built” together. Though not in the city itself, it’s short drive to Frankfurt and less that 50 meters from beautiful woods & lakes.

It’s just GOOD to be HOME. I’m very, very happy for how you attended the Aloe plant and has now grown. Our own is doing beautifully, too :)

Please send in a picture, though I like to watch some pictures on Instagram & have an account, I do not post any of the pictures I take. But I have the feeling this will change this year. I just need my own time, pace & “conditions”, well like with everything. { Not so easy being “me”, eh?… I know ;)}

Take care,
    Iro xo
    Iro Nassopoulos´s last blog post ..E n t e r * m a g i c *

50. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2014 at 3:18pm

@Iro – So you are back with your man again? I didn’t know that but THAT IS GREAT news.

51. Laura Dennison commented
    January 17th, 2014 at 12:33am

Ohhh, I am right there with you on the plant phobic thing. The only plant I have been able to have a relationship with for years is the spathyphylum(sp). That wonderful plant tells me when it HAS to have water. I am looking forward to seeing the comments and learning lots!

52. Iro Nassopoulos commented
    January 17th, 2014 at 11:21am

decor8,

Thank you Holly!

53. Shanti commented
    January 18th, 2014 at 4:04am

Katie, thank you!

54. Barbara Cortili commented
    January 19th, 2014 at 3:30am

Holly, how have you been doing? It has been a little while since I visited your blog because of my tight working schedule (shame on me!) but I am glad be back and read your gorgeous posts. I am not a mother yet but I used to be a very energetic, troublemaker baby and my mother had to hide all the plants in the house at some point because I ended up chewing a leaf of one of them , making the poison control center utterly crazy. Because of these past experiences I don’t feel recommending having plants around when babies are.

But if you are still looking for an indestructible indoor plant, a ficus elastica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficus_elastica) could be good. We have been having one for years and it survived my mother and three housekeepers so far! : )
    Barbara Cortili´s last blog post ..5 Golden Rules To Social Network Users

55. jja commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 12:55am

I killed numerous plants I got from my friends, some of them with a special remark that they are very resistent and nothing can go wrong. Well, yes LOL.
    Mum mom has a huge garden and house full of beautiful flowers and can not understand what am I doing…
    jja´s last blog post ..Obavijest

56. The Ficus Wrangler commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 2:11am

Laura Dennison,

You can use spaths like “canaries in the coal mine.” When the spath tells you it needs water, it’s time to check the others, also.

57. The Ficus Wrangler commented
    January 30th, 2014 at 2:26am

I’ve been an interior landscaper for 30 years. That means I’ve been taking care of the plants in commercial surroundings, and training people to do the same, and incidentally talking to people about their plants and answering their questions. Now I’m sharing what I’ve learned about taking care of potted plants with whoever wants to learn. I would love to get a little on-line course going (in addition to my blog and videos) working with some folks who want to have houseplants but feel they always kill everything. So if anyone wants to volunteer, leave word at my blog. Join the Down With Dead Houseplants Movement!
    Thanks for your interesting blog.

58. jordan commented
    February 2nd, 2014 at 5:46pm

start with herbs! most of them are basically just tasty weeds, so they’re pretty resilient little buggers. i particularly have had a great experience with chives, rosemary, and spearmint. basil, lavender, and thyme can be a little finicky.

59. Jill commented
    December 5th, 2014 at 6:04pm

I don’t really believe the whole thing about succulents being indestructible; I find them to be really difficult to keep alive. So, I suggest NOT going with succulents. I think philodendrons and snake plants are the easiest to keep alive. Spider plants are pretty easy, too, as long as you don’t over water them. I have a gorgeous plant called a hoya that I absolutely love. They like sunlight, so they can’t be in a dark corner, but I pretty much ignore mine and it is gorgeous (dark, glossy leaves) and has the most beautiful and unusual flowers.
    I couple things I have discovered trying to grow plans over the last 10 years:
    1. my larger plants seem to be hardier, than smaller plants.
    2. don’t repot as soon as you bring a plant home. Let them acclimate to their new home for a month or so before repotting.
    3. most plants don’t like direct sunlight, so putting plants right in a window doesn’t usually work for me (but I live in the Southwest where there is a lot of sunlight, so that might not be true for other places).

Anyway, good luck!