Decorating Tips

22 Hard To Kill Houseplants

January 16, 2014

Looking for some hard to kill houseplants? I am! That’s why I was SO EXCITED when I woke up this morning and found the most super awesome comment on my post about house plants, Let’s Talk About Plants. Sandra, a long time reader, works in a flower shop in Sweden and put together a lovely list of plants that she thinks are fairly easy to care for. I did some digging around to verify her suggestions and ended up finding a few of my own so I’ve compiled a list of 22 house plants that are hard to kill for those of us who have a bit of a brown thumb. I have to thank Sandra for her amazing comment, it really inspired me to pull together this post, so thank you so much Sandra!

22 Hard To Kill HouseplantsFrida Ramstedt, Trendenser

22 Hard To Kill Houseplants
1. Aloe  | 2. Kalancho thyrsiflora | 3. Echeverias (a good variety of these) | 4. Howea forsteriana, Kentia palm | 5. Syngonium, Arrowhead vine | 6. Senecio rowleyanus, string of pearls | 7. Epipremnum aureum, golden pothos | 8. Peperomia argyreia, Watermelon peperomia Note: There are a variety of peperomias, see Exotic Angel for a complete guide. | 9. Peperomia belly button  |  10. Haworthia fasciata, zebra haworthia  | 11. Chlorophytum comosum, Spider plant  |  12.  Ox Tongue  |  13.  Ghost Plant  |  14.  Jade Plant  |  15.  Hawthoria  16.  Sedum morganianum, burro’s tail  |  17. Geranium  |  18.  Ceropegia woodii, String of Hearts  |  19. Rubber Plant

22 Hard To Kill Houseplants
20. Araucaria heterophylla, Norfolk island pine from Room by Sofie.

22 Hard To Kill Houseplants
21. Myrsine by Kakan/Lifestyle and Living

22 Hard To Kill Houseplants
22. Tolmiea menziesii by Floradania

I’m so honored that Sandra commented with her insights and happy that I could share some of my research here too – I’m learning! And it feels so nice to get in the know so that I can add a few plants to my home without fear! Note: If you love succulents, here is a good guide to the different kinds of crassulas.

From those shown above, spot any that you like? That you own? What has been YOUR experience with them? Do you have some easy-to-care-for plants to add to this list? Please comment below so we can check them out!

(images linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

99 Comments

• Reply Michaela January 16, 2014 at 2:22 pm

well, i have killed several of these. my aloe has been really great though and my monstera is growing like crazy.

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 3:19 pm

@Michaela – Oh well, keep trying and try again as the expression goes!!!

• Reply Faith | Ordinary Mommy Design January 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm

What a wonderful list! I’m on a mission to add more plants to my house. We don’t have a lot of light, but I’ve found that philodendrons (like the golden pathos) and snake plants (Sansevieria trifasciata- not shown) work well for me!

• Reply Monika@secretgardenhome January 16, 2014 at 2:40 pm

That’s brilliant. I was reading your previous article this morning as I’m currently looking for some house plants for my living room.
    I killed (oops) the money tree recently as watered it too much and didn’t give it enough light.

The list above is fantastic. Thank you very much both.

Bests

Monikax

• Reply Louisa January 16, 2014 at 2:41 pm

My mum has always had spider plants and she’s really bad at remembering to water them! Until last year I didn’t know they flowered… But they’re all still alive and multiplying, so these are probably a good place to start. I managed to kill a kentia palm (mixture of overwatering and cat based destruction) but the ghost plant looks awesome so I think i’ll have to try one of those. Out of cat reach!

• Reply Aidel.K January 16, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I’ve been trying to add some plants to my home–this post is perfect for me. I bought a Prayer Plant like this http://faculty.ucc.edu/biology-ombrello/pow/prayer_plants.htm last year, and it has done very well. It was a big hanging basket when I bought it. It was looking crowded, so I dug a little section out and potted it separately. The big hanging one is in my kitchen and now the little baby one is in my bedroom. Both are thriving. I have a Golden Pothos, also, doing very well in my low-light living room. I’d love to see a post on plant pots, too.

• Reply Jen January 16, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I kill EVERYTHING so I’m looking forward to seeing if any of these can survive my black thumb!

• Reply Christina // Franny & Franky Designs January 16, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I feel like saying, “No, I promise, you totally can’t kill this houseplant” is a challenge to me. I mean, I seriously kill everything. Even the unkillable. The ones they promise last forever. The ones they promise you’d have to douse in acid and beat with a shovel to kill. I kill ’em all. I have visions of a lush landscape of houseplantery in my head, but all I end up with is dead plants. Poor plants :(

That being said… I would totally try some of these. Because, you know, I love a challenge.

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 6:01 pm

@Christina – How are you killing your plants do you think? Neglect? Not following care instructions on the tag? Pots too small? Are they too close to a heat source? Are you over watering? I bet if we plant killers try to identify HOW we are killing our plants, we can better avoid doing so in the future.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 16, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Love this! Always looking for more plants I CAN”T kill! :)
    I second jade plants, they really are hardy little things. No matter what you do to them! I am excited to look for some of these! Especially burros tail,string of pearls ( though I did kill one before ;(,the myrsine and the kentia palm! Thank you lovely gal!
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 6:00 pm

@Melissa – you are so cute. Nice to see you and your comment. xoxo

• Reply Hanna January 16, 2014 at 4:13 pm

I have gotten really into plants this past year! Of these I have a spider plant and a jade plant. The spider plant has been going strong for almost a year and the jade plant a couple months. I’ve also found my english ivy to be very hardy. It lives in the bathroom and hardly needs watering in the winter.

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:59 pm

@Hanna – Yeah I started to get into them last Spring but then lost interest when I got pregnant – I was sick for 5 months straight so I put my plant interests on hold. But now that I’ve moved, I’m decorating and prepping for springtime – I just keep thinking it’s time to once and for all figure out how to be a good plant mommy. ;)

• Reply Hanna January 16, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Oh, and I’ve killed every succulent in my care, including my aloe, although it took some effort.

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:58 pm

@Hanna – How did you kill them? Like what are you doing, maybe some experts can help diagnose your problem if you mention HOW you are killing your succulents because honestly, they are hard to kill even for me. ;)

• Reply Rasa January 16, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Wonderful list. Will ask for Burros Tail, String of Pearls and some others for my big 6-0 birthday this spring.

• Reply Sandra January 16, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Oh wow, i’m blushing over here now!!
    I’m glad you enjoyed the list, and hopefully it can be helpful to others aswell!

I noticed, after i posted the list, that i had linked to some plants that you didn’t really like, such as the spider plants your mum had. But perhaps, if you where to use those plants (old, and trusted after all), in a new setting, with up to date pots etc, then they wouldn’t be so bad?

As with the trailing plants that can easy take over your house – just chop them off it they get too long! It can help them grow more compact and make new shoots. You can always put the cutting in a cute vase – to enjoy a little bit of green somewhere, or if you want more of the same plants, let it make roots and then plant it in soil.

I think the most common mistake is to overwater your plants. It is easier to rescue a plant that’s been underwatered, then it is for one that’s been drowned. Too much water makes the roots rot easily, and from there it’s often downhill. Funny thing is, we often give it even more water when it starts to look sad. We love them to death ;)
    Too much water and central heating are the plants worst enemies i think.

I shall stop now, i could go on forever about plants…
    All i really wanted to say was thank you :)

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm

@Sandra – It’s okay because when I saw SPIDER PLANTS I thought, “Okay maybe I need to rethink this”. :) You are right, I bet it has more to do with them being in hanging planters. Also, that’s a great idea about trailing plants. I’m often scared to cut them down… Yes, I think I overwater them and then not water for two months, then over water again… it’s not good really at all. I plan to change this!
      THANK YOU SANDRA for your wonderful comments!!!

• Reply Juli January 16, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I’m actually pretty good with plants, and have quite a collection at home. But a string of pearls plant somehow never survives… maybe just my luck, maybe bad quality plants at the garden centre?
    If I may add to your list: if you find you usually give your plants too much rather than too little water, a Monstera might be for you. It has gorgeous big leaves. A Yucca is also a plant that seems to survive quite some maltreatment – even if you think it’s dead, I often springs back to life after some TLC and water.

• Reply julie January 16, 2014 at 5:02 pm

That’s a lovely assortment of plants. Thank you.
    I planted a couple of clippings from my mom’s Christmas cactus last May. By Christmas this year it had more than doubled in size and was loaded with blooms. It has been so fun to watch and quite easy to care for if it gets the morning sun light and you don’t over water.

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:54 pm

@Julie – My husband has a beautiful Christmas cactus, it blooms each year that he’s had it. He’s great with plants too.

• Reply dervla @ the curator January 16, 2014 at 5:16 pm

yay i was happy to see aloe and haworthia on this list, i have both in my almost windowless office and they are thriving. Plus i get paper cuts daily (the risks of a book editor’s job) and I frequently use a little bit of the aloe to soothe my cuts!

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:53 pm

@Dervia – Yeah, my aloe is thriving too. It was in my husband’s home office for most of the time though, which is most likely why – he took great care of it but gave it back to me last week. So far, so good. :)

• Reply rebekka January 16, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Great, but i killed a burros tail (Sedum morganianum)! ^^

• Reply decor8 January 16, 2014 at 5:52 pm

@Rebekka – ha ha and those are HARD to kill, I mean you really have to neglect them for like months, take it from me. :)

• Reply tinajo January 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I always love suckulents, they work for me!

• Reply Aga @ Passion shake January 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

This is great and so true! I killed all my plants except one – spider plant and to be honest I think unless you really want to kill it, it will survive (even without water!) Not that I’ve tried! I’m just saying! ;)) I’ll definitely chose something more from this survivor’s list so thanks a lot for sharing! xx

• Reply Stephanie | glitter and goat cheese January 16, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’ve killed an echeveria, a palm and a pine. I have mad skills.
    For the record, everybody says fiddle leaf figs are tricky, but if you have a good sunny window, they’re really not bad!

• Reply Samuel Smith January 16, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Pothos and Spiderplant are great traditional plants. May I suggest adding the ZZ Plant to your list? Zamioculcas Zamiifolia en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamioculcas They thrive with just a little water and are quite beautiful with emerald foliage.

• Reply Door January 16, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Thats what we need!

• Reply Kerry | MerryatSeven January 16, 2014 at 7:59 pm

I would add a lemon tree to that list.. We planted a seed/pip from a lemon nearly 6 years ago and it’s the only plant I havent yet killed. I just water it when it looks a little sad. Sounds a bit mean really!

• Reply Sarah January 16, 2014 at 8:37 pm

I definitely need a list like this. When I say that all my plants die, I mean all. I water them so I’m not sure what it is. I’m going to be moving to a home with a lot of natural light so that may help some. Thanks again for sharing this list Holly.:)

• Reply Marty January 16, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I had a black thumb until I learned two important things: put the plant where it needs to be ( read the guide ) and then water all plants on Sunday morning. Some will take a little time to adjust to the schedule but they all do. This relieves the ” did I water the plant recently?” problem.
    About watering: if no water comes out the bottom of the pot, water more until it does and if the plant tray is still filled with water on Monday you are watering too much. Plants need oxygen as well as water and it is drowning without air being able to get in the soil.
    No one ever says “I’d love to have a dog but I keep forgetting to feed them and they die”. Every living thing needs some attention. Do you love it enough to give it?

• Reply maria January 16, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I am absolutely lethal to plants. Cacti, whatever. They are doomed as soon as i set my eyes on them.
    This gives me hope.

• Reply Jennifer January 16, 2014 at 9:19 pm

Thakn you for posting this, I’ve been known for a while not only to have a brown thumb but a “black thumb” as if each of my fingers could give the kiss of death to my plants :_< I think with a little more balance of time this year, I'll finally tackle that little corner of my home and mind!

• Reply Anu January 16, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Great list! I have many different house plants in my home, but only one of those in this list – hawthoria. Since I’ve had it (it’s little bit strange to name the plant IT, but to use HE or SHE seems even more strange) only for couple of months it’s really hard to tell how bombproof it is. But it certainly looks good!

As for other easy-to-care plants I have two to add: Zamioculcas zamiifolia and Sansevieria Cylindrica (I use latin names, because I’m not sure about the English version of their names). Both of them look good and survive with minimal care. Sometimes I forget to water them for quite a long periods, because they need much less watering than my other plants and so I skip them during my watering sessions and usually forget about when I skipped them and when I watered and … I need some kind of watering schedule, I think :)

Good luck for growing into green thumb and all the best for the exciting time you have :)

• Reply anchor cottage January 16, 2014 at 10:16 pm

Think baby proof as some of those plants are poison for a baby. I think the Arrowhead vine may be one of those.

• Reply caroline @trend-daily January 16, 2014 at 10:23 pm

Really love these last two posts Holly. House plants are close to my heart, but I actually know nothing about them and have to work VERY hard to keep them alive! :-)

• Reply Nina Frøkedal January 16, 2014 at 10:24 pm

Thanks!

This is just the right post for me! Im not too good with plants…Actually, i see that ive managed to kill one of the plants ure showing…Bad sign…

But there is always a next time right? :)

Love ure blog! Hugs from Norway

• Reply Corenne January 16, 2014 at 10:48 pm

Zanzibar Gem’s are very hard to kill, require little watering and do well in low light.

• Reply Holly January 16, 2014 at 11:32 pm

Some great plant ideas there! I’d also like to add the Peace Lily (or Spathiphyllum) (this plant is often found inside office buildings in Australia, so that tells you how hardy they are! Plus they have beautiful deep green glossy leaves and pretty white flowers); the Zanzibar Gem (Zamioculcas zamiifolia-, which ‘thrives on neglect'; the green supreme (Caliphruria subedentata, or mini Amazon lily) if you can find one); and the Dracaena Costa Rica Compacta, which is considered by some to be the hardiest indoor plant species. The Peace Lily and Dracaena are also great at filtering toxins from the air :)

• Reply Kendra January 17, 2014 at 3:12 am

Pretty! I’ve killed about half of those plants. I took the time to invest in those “hearty hard to kill plants” and I still kill them! Next investment, fake plants. ;P

• Reply Bronwyn January 17, 2014 at 4:01 am

I can testify to the Arrowhead Vine – I have had mine for over 20 years – it has travelled interstate and back again and is pretty much ignored – it does live outside in a pot though – in a lightly shady area outside my back door – I never water it, never feed it and it has stayed the same for all this time!!!

• Reply Inness January 17, 2014 at 4:04 am

I DID once manage to kill an aloe vera plant, but that’ll happen if you leave it in a windowless bathroom for months.. whoops. Moving into a new house soon and hopefully I can keep future succulents alive!

• Reply The Ficus Wrangler January 17, 2014 at 5:16 am

Hanna,

Succulents aren’t hard to kill, if you don’t let them get dry all the way to the bottom of the pot between waterings. And most of them need high light, too.

• Reply The Ficus Wrangler January 17, 2014 at 5:59 am

I’m thrilled to have found your site, with so many people who are interested in having houseplants. I’ve been an Interior Landscaper for 30 years – that means I’ve been involved in the industry that takes care of all the live plants in offices, hotels, restaurants, etc. I’d love to give you my take on the “hard to kill” plants. Those are the ones that are used commonly in commercial situations, precisely because they are easy to grow, beautiful, easy to find, and cheap. I would say the 5 easiest are sanseveria, pothos, peace lily, Chinese evergreen, and corn plant. If you want to add 5 more, try ZZ, heart leaf philodendron, arrowhead, neanthe bella palm, and bamboo palm. Then there’s always spider plant, hoya, aspidistra, ficus alii, and areca palm. Another 5 could be pachira, schefflera, janet craig, warneckei, and ficus banjamina. There are quite a few more, 40 -50 plants routinely used commercially, but these are some of my favorites.

• Reply Marty January 17, 2014 at 6:11 am

Marty,

I’m so sorry. That last remark came out so snotty sounding. It wasn’t meant to be. Accept my apologies. The day will come when you help plants thrive and you’ll see how easy it really is.

• Reply meg January 17, 2014 at 6:43 am

This is helpful! I have several of these hard-to-kill houseplants and I have to say, they are doing well. Thanks for sharing

• Reply Laurence W January 17, 2014 at 7:41 am

Thank you for this great list ! I’m getting to like succulents because they are easy to care for and don’t need much room !

• Reply decor8 January 17, 2014 at 10:17 am

In reading your comments, I’m glad I titled this post HARD TO KILL not IMPOSSIBLE TO KILL – lol!!!

• Reply Cathy from KY January 17, 2014 at 11:07 am

ZZ. Plant…my favorite hard to kill plant.

• Reply sue January 17, 2014 at 5:58 pm

what a great post. I can vouch for geraniums, I have them on the windowsill every summer, and they are amazingly hardy. I love the look of the ghost plant, what a super colour.

• Reply Sandra January 17, 2014 at 6:45 pm

The ZZ plant is poisonous tho, that’s why i didn’t put it in the list =(
    But for those with no babies/pets – it sure is easy!

• Reply Katie January 19, 2014 at 5:40 am

Great post!! Aloe is one of my favs … hard to kill, pretty, and useful too! :)

• Reply Barbara Cortili January 19, 2014 at 5:30 pm

We have been having a rubber plant for years now and it is definitely immortal! I didn’t know many of this so it is a very useful post! I love that myrsine plant , it looks kinda cute!

• Reply eleni January 19, 2014 at 7:24 pm

I actually own quite a few of those plants and it’s so true!!! They just don’t die!!!

• Reply zhi / curiouszhi January 19, 2014 at 11:42 pm

OOh thanks for these. I cannot seem to keep plants alive long either so all I have are cut flowers which I buy every week to make the house a bit prettier. I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a little succulent but wasn’t sure which variety to go for so your list is timely! I like the Echeverias and Zebra Haworthia plants so will look out for them..

• Reply Kate January 20, 2014 at 6:18 am

THANK you for this.

• Reply Lindsey January 21, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Thanks for this. I don’t usually kill plants but my place has very little light in areas where I can put plants. I will definitely check out some of these options.

• Reply Wendy January 25, 2014 at 10:22 am

Are all of these pet friendly?

• Reply decor8 January 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

@Wendy – Not sure, maybe you can google the ones you and like and look into it.

• Reply Sally January 25, 2014 at 8:16 pm

In my last apartment I had almost no natural light which meant that most plants died except for phalenopsis orchids (my favourite) and certain ferns. I moved upstairs to a bigger apartment with lots of light and now it’s too bright for all of those orchids and ferns! I’ve gone for succulents and airplants instead.
    Also, I just thought I’d point out (as I’m sure many others have) that the picture above isn’t a geranium! The Better Homes and Garden webpage put the wrong picture with the description. Oops!

• Reply Kim January 25, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I am terrible with plantx. I did manage to kill a spider plant.

• Reply Ginger January 26, 2014 at 1:38 am

Thanks so much for this list. There’s a few on here that I want to try to find in my neck of the woods cuz they look so pretty!

• Reply Miss Eliza WonDerland January 26, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for doing this! I’m super lazy too but love the idea of surrounding myself with plants

Miss Eliza WonDerland

• Reply lynn January 26, 2014 at 2:56 pm

My husband purchases a Norfolk Island Pine every year!!! I can’t seem to keep mine alive….so disappointing. Maybe I should purchase a few succulents – although they aren’t my favorite. LOL

• Reply Abigail January 26, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Great post as I am currently looking for some plants to make my room a bit more colourful. :) ♥ I have a little cactus and I find they’re difficult to kill because they don’t need much water.
    Also, my Mum used to have a rubber plant and it grew quite big, I love the look of them.

• Reply qatheworld January 27, 2014 at 7:30 am

I have unfortunately killed several strings of pearls and a burro’s tail! :( And a few of the others, at least one jade and “string of hearts” (though those took much longer to succumb). If you grow a jade plant, try to root the leaves whenever they fall/get knocked off… they root fairly easily and then at least you have a backup :P (I do have some “clones” of previously killed plants). Haven’t figured out what the trick is with string of pearls though, they always die a rapid death.

• Reply Crista January 27, 2014 at 5:27 pm

This is a great list! I’m bookmarking it for sure….
    I need to know which plants don’t require as much sunlight, my new place has very little sun shining in (not happy about it!!)

• Reply Blanco y Chocolat. February 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

thanks for this wonderful post.
    i would like to share it on my blog tomorrow, of course telling the source.
    thanks!!
    sara

• Reply Alicia Parsons @ Atypical Type A February 13, 2014 at 12:34 am

Thanks so much for this list! I really want to add more greenery to our home but I don’t have a good track record of keeping pots alive – I need something indestructible!

• Reply Pat February 18, 2014 at 8:42 am

Remember to check out the plants for toxicity if you have pets.

• Reply Christine February 25, 2014 at 11:55 pm

It’s about time I added some plants to our home so it’s going to be a little project for me over the coming weeks. But with a dog, toddler and another baby on the way I want to be sure about whether they’re safe.

There are some tips here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tara-heibel/baby-proof-plants_b_2741861.html

And a PDF here listing toxic and non-toxic plants: http://www.calpoison.org/hcp/KNOW%20YOUR%20PLANTS-plant%20list%20for%20CPCS%2009B.pdf

Hope the links are helpful!

• Reply The Queen of Dreaming February 27, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Cool post! I kinda kill every plant I meet, even if I really love them (actually I study them at university!), I don’t know what0s wrong with me T.T
    I’ll try with ghost plant, it’s so fascinating!

• Reply Meenakshi Dwivedi March 25, 2014 at 6:27 am

i have these plants :)

• Reply Abril May 3, 2014 at 2:00 am

Oh how exiting! Some of these are so pretty is hard to believe that they are easy to take care of….which is exactly what I need ♥¡

• Reply Shelley May 13, 2014 at 7:18 am

I have a pothos that is 40 years old. It’s been through 5 moves, it’ seen cut back to a manageable size several times. And it’ sever had great sunlight. I love it!

• Reply GLENDA May 13, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Sedum is great in drought and is left outside in winter. spider plant also live in drought–I killed my norfolk pine last year that I got on after Christmas Clearance. Second one not looking well. Advise would be welcome.

• Reply GLENDA May 13, 2014 at 3:38 pm

have not succeeded with rubber plant or palm either

• Reply Liza May 13, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Faith | Ordinary Mommy Design,

Begonias, Coleus & atleast some Dracaena do well with low light.

• Reply Carolina Mello May 13, 2014 at 9:26 pm

Love succulents!

• Reply kathy stauffer May 13, 2014 at 9:46 pm

i love your site, i aM A REAL LOVER OF PLANTS AND FLOWERS, I NEED TO KNOW WHAT PLANTS ARE POISION TO CATS AND LOVE BIRD, PARRIOETTE THANK YOU

I LOVE YOUR SITE. I LOVE PLANTS AND FLOWERS ALOT. PLS TELL ME WHAT POISION PLANTS FOR CATS AND LOVEBIRD, PARRIOT. THANK YOU

• Reply Darla May 14, 2014 at 12:48 am

I would like to see a list of plants that doesn’t need a lot of light. My house is lacking light.

• Reply Michele Joslin May 14, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Thanks for this list of indoor plants that are hard to kill. I’ve tried many times and I used to bring them to my mom who would bring them back to life. I can’t do that anymore because she passed away in 2005. I also was wondering if you had a list of outdoor plants that are easy to care for? I’ve tried to plant annuals & perinnuals but they end up dying on me. Help!!!

• Reply Sheila May 14, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Melissa de la Fuente,

Jade plants are hardy until you try to repot them. They break apart really easily. But I have to say, I repotted mine and although it went from being a big plant to just a stick (because it’s branches fell off), it IS still alive.

• Reply Romana May 31, 2014 at 12:38 am

me too…sadly

• Reply Kelly July 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

The ghost plant and Burros tail look amazing and are sure to be a conversation piece! Can’t wait to buy mine!

• Reply Morgan July 25, 2014 at 7:25 am

I will second that. I am a serial houseplant killer as well, but I have a meyer lemon tree in my sunny dining room that is awesome! It is always doing something fun; growing new little leaves (really fast!), blooming, with GIANT lemons. Very easy to care for, and really pretty with big emerald colored leaves.

• Reply Sonuahua September 15, 2014 at 1:05 am

yes I have killed a few of these.. and have 3 of them dying now and 2 others pulling out of a near death experience… my aloe is doing great, but I killed the first one and learned that they almost hate water…. I water the new one a bit about once every 3 or 4 weeks now and it is about 5x the size and has two babies :) a year later yay !! success !!

• Reply Elinore December 18, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Just found this on Pinterest…I’ve got a Burrow’s Tail plant and don’t know anything about it other than I water it every other week…it’s hanging and at times the little nodes fall off ….what does one do to help it grow well?…when and how much water is needed for it….and lastly transplanting this very fragile plant so I don’t lose the nodes hanging down…..thanx so much…have a great day !! Ellie

• Reply Home Decorating Blog December 19, 2014 at 6:15 pm

• Reply cheyenne December 27, 2014 at 6:14 am

I love plants and there are some that seem to be cool with my style of plant-keeping, but this list is like a gallery of plants I have tried to have (multiple times, sadly, in the case of the string of pearls, jade, and other succulents) and totally and often spectacularly killed. Even the aloe. Sigh.

• Reply Elinore December 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Melissa de la Fuente,

I’ve got a Burros Tail and it keeps dropping it’s individual tails and can u give me a clue as to how to repot it and it’s watering habits….appreciate the help…ellieribon

• Reply Chellet December 30, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I can attest to pothos and peperomia. We have these plants for decades and all we do is divide and trim them when they’re growing wild. =)

• Reply Terri Beavers February 4, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I’ve started buying houseplants for my new place and I’m so glad I found your list. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Tara May 14, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I’m so pathetic that I managed to kill an aloe plant! I would love to try the spider plant, but I don’t know yet.

• Reply Loring June 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm

We live in Florida and decided to try some Kentia Palms. They either were going brown from not enough water or the stems were soft from too much. I found out later that they really love sun, but part shade? I read another article that said that it is misleading that we see them healthy in so many offices and indoor public spaces. This is most likely because they are swapped out once in a while and kept outdoors in some sunshine every so often. We killed two. If I were to get another (and they are kinda pricey), I would rotate them to the porch occasionally.

We nearly killed a Pothos, but I rescued it from the bathroom and put it outside and water it with the other porch plants and it is thriving.

I gather that most succulents, which make up the majority of your list, are easy to grow. I hear that you can also snip off a leaf and lay it on the soil and it will root. Do you know if that is true?

• Reply Holly Becker June 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

@Loring – Never heard of that, but perhaps!

• Reply ONECOOLLADY July 20, 2015 at 12:45 am

yes it is true I try not to let them over grow, it will fall in another pot and start thriving in the pot it dropped in