28 Creative Ideas For Valentine’s Day

January 20, 2014

Oh la la! The day of love is approaching and for some, it spells dread because we’ve been sold to for years that V day is all about romance with your one true love. Don’t buy into it! Gather your girlfriends, your kids, your family or spend it alone in the bathtub with something boozy to drink and bubble bath to celebrate the love you feel for yourself. Dump the dumb traditions and look at February 14th as a fun, positive day and whether you celebrate or not, next month is a great month in general to stock up on lots of fabulous things in pink and red in fun heart shapes (including those yummy candy hearts that I miss so badly here in Germany!) that you can also enjoy year round. I thought you may enjoy some inspiration to see what I mean. Here are 28 ideas that I’ve collected online (please link to those that you fancy) that you’re certain to enjoy. Kisses!

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day
1. Throw a cute kids crafting party like Style Me Pretty did. Photo by White Loft Studio.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

2. Cocktails! Just add heart sugar from Dellcove Spices to the rims to make it extra festive and full of love.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day
3. Creative photography! Arrange something pretty on a tabletop in the shape of a heart, photograph it, print, and pin to your mood board or frame like Leslie Shewring did. You can also turn this into a greeting card to give to someone dear.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day
4. Gift giving! Watercolor on paper and cut into hearts and attach them to presents with twine like Leslie Shewring did  – she’s such a talented person!

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

Gift give! 5a. If you like to keep things simple, KROnPINSESSENE has a simple gift wrap idea with string and stickers. 6b. Pretzels dipped in chocolate with heart confetti 7c. Cupcakes with handmade arrows. 8d. love letter cookies from Kanela y Limon.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day 9. Bake cookies for your sweetheart! Love cookies made by Sweet Style Blog – could these get any sweeter?

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

10. Whip up a little pie! Bake up a little raspberry pie, this one was made by zucker zimt und liebe.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day
11. Host Brunch with friends. Make some heart waffle sandwiches with prosciutto to enjoy brunch with your lady friends on V Day! We have plenty of love in our life to go around without worrying about whether or not we have a date on February 14th! Gather the girls like Design Love Fest did and spread your own love and magic.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

12. Wing it! If you don’t have time to whip up something heart-themed, why not buy some cupcakes at the bakery and add your own touch on top with a little heart you’ve made. In America around Valentine’s Day, lots of cupcakes come with a plastic heart stuck inside but you can easily remove it, cut and attach your own handmade heart using a favorite paper to a straw you’ve cut short (like a cute red and white striped one) and pop it into the cupcake.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

13. Photo magic at home! Take some fun photos against a white background (hang a sheet you’ve pressed wrinkle-free) and use heart-shaped anything as props like photographer Max Wanger does (his website, his interview on decor8). Take photos of your kids, pets, whomever is around that you love. Or use a camera with a timer and photograph yourself.
28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

Balloons! Oh yeah, definitely do the whole balloon thing. One, two, forty… Balloons say FUN and turn a simple dinner at home into a romantic joy fest. 14a. massive amounts of pink balloons at home from 100 layer cake 15b. order and deliver big hearts to someone you love like these by geronimo balloons via oh joy 16c. A small colorful collection presented to your date on his doorstep (or office) wearing your prettiest outfit like these from lark store 17d. One giant balloon with streamers tied to it like this one shot by Liz Banfield for Style Me Pretty.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

18. Throw a Craft Party for Your Friends! Host your own V Day crafting party with the girls like they did over at Better Homes & Gardens… And while you’re at it, serve champagne! I also love the at home crafting party that they did over at Style Me Pretty! Nothing makes crafting together more hilarious than when you drop going for perfection – usually a glass of bubbly makes even the most perfectly perfect crafter chill out a bit.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

Play dress up! Wear some hearts without being tacky! 19a. Adorable blogger Jordan Ferney in a heart sweater 20b. shoe clips by 21c. heart skirt (love this) which looks super stylish 22d. heart blouse (I also adore this look) from little miss fearless. Fashion tip: A way to avoid this look turning too twee is to either dress or accessorize with only ONE item that has a heart pattern. Not all at once!

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

23. Decorate with decals! I love these black hearts against a peachy-pink wall by Ferm Living.

24. Decorate the ceiling! And why not? By Designer Emily Mugannam

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

25. Decorate with pillows! I like this understated heart cushion by Foto Le Maire for a living room, especially nice for those who don’t want to go bold.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

26. Decorate the walls with flowers! These wall vases from Love Star are the best.

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

27. Decorate with hoops! This fun V day party by The Nester resulted in these crafty hoops – love!

28 Creative Ideas For Valentines Day

28. Decorate with chocolate! Do you think I’m kidding? The Sweetest Occasion made a DIY heart wall. Yes, really!

See any ideas you love? I love the craft party idea, or the pretty brunch that Bri did. I also love the heart sugar for cocktail glass rims! Yum!

(images linked to their sources above)

• Reply vicky January 20, 2014 at 2:58 pm

As always your ideas are lovely and wonderful !!!! :)

• Reply Traci January 20, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Great collection of inspiration and ideas. I can’t believe Valentine’s Day is almost here! I like the idea of creative photography…I’m thinking of doing with with objects that are meaningful to certain people and mailing them as postcards.

• Reply Carmia January 20, 2014 at 3:44 pm

Lovely ideas! I especially like the watercolour hearts.

• Reply Gina January 20, 2014 at 4:05 pm

Oh Holly!

I love them all! Maybe If I start now I can finish them all by Valentines Day :) and have the most unique + creative day of all :)
    Thank you so much for thus daily + loving candy :)
    You rock!

• Reply Aga @ Passion shake January 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm

All of them are super cute, it’s hard to chose favorite one, but if I had to I would probably go for the heart-shaped wall vases – pretty, original and I like a lot the pop of color! Also balloons are great and wrapping idea by Leslie and those black hearts and… Aaaa I just LOVE IT ALL ! :)

• Reply Casapinka January 20, 2014 at 4:57 pm

Heart vases are from Oz company Lovestar. Love them.

• Reply Alina January 20, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Absolutely lovely Valentine’s ideas. I’m a big fan of creative crafts and these things are so cute too. Thanks for posting :)

• Reply Beauty Follower January 20, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Lovely ideas and DIY!

• Reply decor8 January 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I just added the link into the post. You’re a star!

• Reply jelena January 20, 2014 at 6:45 pm

aww lovin’ thisss! <3

• Reply glomerylane January 20, 2014 at 7:20 pm

YES! Thank you, dear Holly! Inspired by your post I invitated the girls to a Valentine’s Day party to celebrate “Day 100” after my transplantation! :)
    Kisses and lots of love to you, Thorsten and your little baby boy! ♥ Inga

• Reply decor8 January 20, 2014 at 8:45 pm

@Glomerylane – How are you feeling and doing??? I think about you nearly every day and wonder but always feel awkward bringing it up because I know you don’t like to be known as someone who is “ill”. But to hear you received a transplant, oh my goodness, I couldn’t be happier for you!!! I did not know this! And a big hug to you for organizing a V Day Party – wonderful!!!!

• Reply Amy - Pride of Place January 20, 2014 at 8:31 pm

I love all of these ideas, especially the pretzels – so simple. I have never been one to do much on valentine’s day apart from avoid restaurants as they are sooo expensive on that day but this year I am going to go mad with decorations, but not with a heart theme. It is my son’s first birthday so it will be paper pom poms and striped paper straws all the way. Along with confetti 1 cookies. I’ve been looking forward to having a little party for ages. It was supposed to be in our new house but we won’t be moved in on time so now my mum will be hosting birthday number one. But I’m also hoping for a box of chocolates from my husband, I mean I did give him the best gift ever last valentine’s day ;-)

• Reply Patricia January 20, 2014 at 8:40 pm

Thank you so much for including our cocktail rimming sugar! I love the idea of hosting a craft party – though, knowing my friends and family, it would be a cooking party.

• Reply Kristin Johnsen January 20, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Fun! I love the photos Leslie took – I am such a fan – but I also think the craft party idea, with Champagne, is a GREAT idea!!!! thanks for sharing all the great thoughts…..

• Reply Cyd January 21, 2014 at 12:03 am

Thanks so much for sharing our DIY chocolate wall, Holly! You totally made my Monday :-)

• Reply mireya pizarro January 21, 2014 at 12:53 am

Wow what really cute ideas!

• Reply Anna January 21, 2014 at 2:59 am

Brilliant ideas! I love them all ! :)

• Reply Die Landfrau January 22, 2014 at 10:32 pm

Thank you for such alot of inspiration. Cheers from Stuttgart.

• Reply Lucy Chen January 23, 2014 at 4:17 am

I like Valentines Day, solely for these beautiful interior decorations!

• Reply Véranda Magazine January 23, 2014 at 11:06 am

I love them all :)
    Very nice inspiration for the next valentine’s day !

• Reply Lisa | Happy By January 23, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I love all these ideas you gathered Holly! Valentines is one of my favorite holidays only because of the beauty you can find around internet :)

• Reply Sandeep Singh January 26, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Lovely ideas specially the Bake cookies for your sweetheart!……really liked ’em…

• Reply Sathishkumar January 27, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Hi, The ideas involving cookies, pie and the balloon are really wonderful. I am gonna definitely follow one of the three for this valentines day. Thanks Holly!

• Reply jody January 31, 2014 at 6:40 pm

i am in love with all of this!! v-dizzle is kinda my favorite holiday to delve into craftilly dorky depths! i hosted a v-day craft party last year. it was so so fun. i invited friends to bring their kidlets for them to make their school valentines. people brought supplies because i called it a craft supply potluck. we had a reused/recycled materials focus with loads of crafty bits as well. mos’def doing it again this year! people are already asking about it. happy valentines day!

• Reply Margaux February 6, 2014 at 11:40 am

Thank you soooooo much Holly for those wonderful and so lovely tips ;) I’m gonna forward this article to my boyfriend !!!!
    That would be great to do it together don’t you think?
    Special thanks for the shoe clips :) so cute ! Have a delicious and beautiful V-day all!

• Reply Sahid January 3, 2015 at 2:31 pm

A very happy valentines day 2015 to all of you. Visit our website to share and get everything related to valentines.

Get Valentines sms, images, quotes, poems, pictures, ides, gifts.

• Reply King in Calgary February 5, 2015 at 10:26 am

Holly! thanks for the great tips, This is gonna be my first Valentines with my wife being married and I’m want to make every little detail count haha. I don’t know where to buy all those small frosted hearts… where does a guy buy those things, a supermarket? thanks Holly!

• Reply Robin February 5, 2015 at 10:37 pm

. I love really good DIYs for Valentine’s Day for that special someone in your life! So Fun!

• Reply Fashionable Streets February 9, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Amazing post! Very helpful!