28 Creative Ideas For Valentine’s Day

Oh la la! The day of love is approaching and for some, it spells dread because we’ve been sold to for years that V day is all about romance with your one true love. Don’t buy into it! Gather your girlfriends, your kids, your family or spend it alone in the bathtub with something boozy to drink and bubble bath to celebrate the love you feel for yourself. Dump the dumb traditions and look at February 14th as a fun, positive day and whether you celebrate or not, next month is a great month in general to stock up on lots of fabulous things in pink and red in fun heart shapes (including those yummy candy hearts that I miss so badly here in Germany!) that you can also enjoy year round. I thought you may enjoy some inspiration to see what I mean. Here are 28 ideas that I’ve collected online (please link to those that you fancy) that you’re certain to enjoy. Kisses!

dab010b4c2e4be578ab233479b6edbbd-1
1. Throw a cute kids crafting party like Style Me Pretty did. Photo by White Loft Studio.

il_fullxfull.328829931

2. Cocktails! Just add heart sugar from Dellcove Spices to the rims to make it extra festive and full of love.

leslieshewringheart
3. Creative photography! Arrange something pretty on a tabletop in the shape of a heart, photograph it, print, and pin to your mood board or frame like Leslie Shewring did. You can also turn this into a greeting card to give to someone dear.

leslieshewringhearts
4. Gift giving! Watercolor on paper and cut into hearts and attach them to presents with twine like Leslie Shewring did  – she’s such a talented person!

iloveyouideas

Gift give! 5a. If you like to keep things simple, KROnPINSESSENE has a simple gift wrap idea with string and stickers. 6b. Pretzels dipped in chocolate with heart confetti 7c. Cupcakes with handmade arrows. 8d. love letter cookies from Kanela y Limon.

8a98eb49b0d44b471bdfd1dd4c4c16399. Bake cookies for your sweetheart! Love cookies made by Sweet Style Blog – could these get any sweeter?

zuckerzimtundliebe_herz

10. Whip up a little pie! Bake up a little raspberry pie, this one was made by zucker zimt und liebe.

hello_bri2
11. Host Brunch with friends. Make some heart waffle sandwiches with prosciutto to enjoy brunch with your lady friends on V Day! We have plenty of love in our life to go around without worrying about whether or not we have a date on February 14th! Gather the girls like Design Love Fest did and spread your own love and magic.

bdcfebc345b70db26c2355ba8e29548f

12. Wing it! If you don’t have time to whip up something heart-themed, why not buy some cupcakes at the bakery and add your own touch on top with a little heart you’ve made. In America around Valentine’s Day, lots of cupcakes come with a plastic heart stuck inside but you can easily remove it, cut and attach your own handmade heart using a favorite paper to a straw you’ve cut short (like a cute red and white striped one) and pop it into the cupcake.

maxwangerheartphotodecor8

13. Photo magic at home! Take some fun photos against a white background (hang a sheet you’ve pressed wrinkle-free) and use heart-shaped anything as props like photographer Max Wanger does (his website, his interview on decor8). Take photos of your kids, pets, whomever is around that you love. Or use a camera with a timer and photograph yourself.
balloonsdecor8

Balloons! Oh yeah, definitely do the whole balloon thing. One, two, forty… Balloons say FUN and turn a simple dinner at home into a romantic joy fest. 14a. massive amounts of pink balloons at home from 100 layer cake 15b. order and deliver big hearts to someone you love like these by geronimo balloons via oh joy 16c. A small colorful collection presented to your date on his doorstep (or office) wearing your prettiest outfit like these from lark store 17d. One giant balloon with streamers tied to it like this one shot by Liz Banfield for Style Me Pretty.

101617086.jpg.rendition.largest

54869f2fdce63e8a485698f638b296c8

18. Throw a Craft Party for Your Friends! Host your own V Day crafting party with the girls like they did over at Better Homes & Gardens… And while you’re at it, serve champagne! I also love the at home crafting party that they did over at Style Me Pretty! Nothing makes crafting together more hilarious than when you drop going for perfection – usually a glass of bubbly makes even the most perfectly perfect crafter chill out a bit.

heartclothesdecor8

Play dress up! Wear some hearts without being tacky! 19a. Adorable blogger Jordan Ferney in a heart sweater 20b. shoe clips by Ban.do 21c. heart skirt (love this) which looks super stylish 22d. heart blouse (I also adore this look) from little miss fearless. Fashion tip: A way to avoid this look turning too twee is to either dress or accessorize with only ONE item that has a heart pattern. Not all at once!

heartdecals

23. Decorate with decals! I love these black hearts against a peachy-pink wall by Ferm Living.

PageImage-506085-3246879-IMG_8290

24. Decorate the ceiling! And why not? By Designer Emily Mugannam

123e72dc4b4d4f103ab213ddd5953b25

25. Decorate with pillows! I like this understated heart cushion by Foto Le Maire for a living room, especially nice for those who don’t want to go bold.

ab9469d82ee8a6c2fb81bdad0bc948f4

26. Decorate the walls with flowers! These wall vases from Love Star are the best.

hearthoops

27. Decorate with hoops! This fun V day party by The Nester resulted in these crafty hoops – love!

DIY-Chocolate-Heart-Wall-10

28. Decorate with chocolate! Do you think I’m kidding? The Sweetest Occasion made a DIY heart wall. Yes, really!

See any ideas you love? I love the craft party idea, or the pretty brunch that Bri did. I also love the heart sugar for cocktail glass rims! Yum!

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in round-up on January 20, 2014

1. vicky commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 2:58pm

As always your ideas are lovely and wonderful !!!! :)

2. Traci commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 3:24pm

Great collection of inspiration and ideas. I can’t believe Valentine’s Day is almost here! I like the idea of creative photography…I’m thinking of doing with with objects that are meaningful to certain people and mailing them as postcards.
    Traci´s last blog post ..Great Words From MLK

3. Carmia commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 3:44pm

Lovely ideas! I especially like the watercolour hearts.
    Carmia´s last blog post ..Fabulous Font: Fancy Me

4. Gina commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 4:05pm

Oh Holly!

I love them all! Maybe If I start now I can finish them all by Valentines Day :) and have the most unique + creative day of all :)
    Thank you so much for thus daily + loving candy :)
    You rock!

5. Aga @ Passion shake commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 4:06pm

All of them are super cute, it’s hard to chose favorite one, but if I had to I would probably go for the heart-shaped wall vases – pretty, original and I like a lot the pop of color! Also balloons are great and wrapping idea by Leslie and those black hearts and… Aaaa I just LOVE IT ALL ! :)
    Aga @ Passion shake´s last blog post ..DIY – Cute handmade hearts

6. Casapinka commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 4:57pm

Heart vases are from Oz company Lovestar. Love them.

7. Alina commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 5:11pm

Absolutely lovely Valentine’s ideas. I’m a big fan of creative crafts and these things are so cute too. Thanks for posting :)
    Alina´s last blog post ..Yellow Wedding Ideas for Summer

8. Beauty Follower commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 5:59pm

Lovely ideas and DIY!

9. decor8 commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 6:35pm

Casapinka,

THANK YOU SO MUCH. I just added the link into the post. You’re a star!

10. jelena commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 6:45pm

aww lovin’ thisss! <3
    jelena´s last blog post ..“…a da nisi malo pretjerala sa cvjetnim patentom?”

11. glomerylane commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 7:20pm

YES! Thank you, dear Holly! Inspired by your post I invitated the girls to a Valentine’s Day party to celebrate “Day 100″ after my transplantation! :)
    Kisses and lots of love to you, Thorsten and your little baby boy! ♥ Inga
    glomerylane´s last blog post ..Gastpost von Stilzitat: Geschenkpapier DIY in Schwarz-Weiß

12. Amy - Pride of Place commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:31pm

I love all of these ideas, especially the pretzels – so simple. I have never been one to do much on valentine’s day apart from avoid restaurants as they are sooo expensive on that day but this year I am going to go mad with decorations, but not with a heart theme. It is my son’s first birthday so it will be paper pom poms and striped paper straws all the way. Along with confetti 1 cookies. I’ve been looking forward to having a little party for ages. It was supposed to be in our new house but we won’t be moved in on time so now my mum will be hosting birthday number one. But I’m also hoping for a box of chocolates from my husband, I mean I did give him the best gift ever last valentine’s day ;-)
    Amy – Pride of Place´s last blog post ..The fun begins with mood boards, crow bars and shopping

13. Patricia commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:40pm

Thank you so much for including our cocktail rimming sugar! I love the idea of hosting a craft party – though, knowing my friends and family, it would be a cooking party.
    Patricia´s last blog post ..Cocktail rim sugar – honey flavor – flavored sugar for bar drink glasses, sweet martinis by dellcovespices

14. decor8 commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 8:45pm

@Glomerylane – How are you feeling and doing??? I think about you nearly every day and wonder but always feel awkward bringing it up because I know you don’t like to be known as someone who is “ill”. But to hear you received a transplant, oh my goodness, I couldn’t be happier for you!!! I did not know this! And a big hug to you for organizing a V Day Party – wonderful!!!!

15. Kristin Johnsen commented
    January 20th, 2014 at 11:33pm

Fun! I love the photos Leslie took – I am such a fan – but I also think the craft party idea, with Champagne, is a GREAT idea!!!! thanks for sharing all the great thoughts…..
    Kristin Johnsen´s last blog post ..When does it go from I hate it to I can work with that?

16. Cyd commented
    January 21st, 2014 at 12:03am

Thanks so much for sharing our DIY chocolate wall, Holly! You totally made my Monday :-)
    Cyd´s last blog post ..Color Palette: Olympic Blue + Rouge

17. mireya pizarro commented
    January 21st, 2014 at 12:53am

Wow what really cute ideas!
    mireya pizarro´s last blog post ..For The Love Of Typography!

18. Anna commented
    January 21st, 2014 at 2:59am

Brilliant ideas! I love them all ! :)

Anna

19. Die Landfrau commented
    January 22nd, 2014 at 10:32pm

Thank you for such alot of inspiration. Cheers from Stuttgart.
    Die Landfrau´s last blog post ..Schwarzwurzelquiche und Suppe

20. Lucy Chen commented
    January 23rd, 2014 at 4:17am

I like Valentines Day, solely for these beautiful interior decorations!
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..A Studio Tour Just Before I Packed Up and Left

21. Véranda Magazine commented
    January 23rd, 2014 at 11:06am

I love them all :)
    Very nice inspiration for the next valentine’s day !

22. Lisa | Happy By commented
    January 23rd, 2014 at 5:11pm

I love all these ideas you gathered Holly! Valentines is one of my favorite holidays only because of the beauty you can find around internet :)
    Lisa | Happy By´s last blog post ..What I’d like to buy right now // River Island

23. Sandeep Singh commented
    January 26th, 2014 at 1:15pm

Lovely ideas specially the Bake cookies for your sweetheart!……really liked ‘em…
    Sandeep Singh´s last blog post ..Valentines day Quotes Valentine day Message for this Valentines Day

24. Sathishkumar commented
    January 27th, 2014 at 4:52pm

Hi, The ideas involving cookies, pie and the balloon are really wonderful. I am gonna definitely follow one of the three for this valentines day. Thanks Holly!
    Sathishkumar´s last blog post ..Valentines Day Wallpapers: Top Wallpapers Expressing Love

25. jody commented
    January 31st, 2014 at 6:40pm

i am in love with all of this!! v-dizzle is kinda my favorite holiday to delve into craftilly dorky depths! i hosted a v-day craft party last year. it was so so fun. i invited friends to bring their kidlets for them to make their school valentines. people brought supplies because i called it a craft supply potluck. we had a reused/recycled materials focus with loads of crafty bits as well. mos’def doing it again this year! people are already asking about it. happy valentines day!

26. Margaux commented
    February 6th, 2014 at 11:40am

Thank you soooooo much Holly for those wonderful and so lovely tips ;) I’m gonna forward this article to my boyfriend !!!!
    That would be great to do it together don’t you think?
    Special thanks for the shoe clips :) so cute ! Have a delicious and beautiful V-day all!
    Margaux
    Margaux´s last blog post ..Three tips for choosing safe cleaning products