Homes with Heart: High Contrast in a Blogger’s Amsterdam Abode

Hello! It’s Holly Marder here with another Homes With Heart column for you to feast your eyes upon. This month I’m taking you on a tour of the Amsterdam home of Desiree Groenendal of the Dutch blog Vosgesparis. Let’s go! Oh and please click on any image to enlarge or pin to your Pinterest boards!

des27 “Pure, simple, industrial and tough” are words that Desiree uses to describe her 85 m2 Amsterdam abode, which she has called home for the last 25 years. The blogger and stylist prefers to keep her Scandinavian style space uncluttered, clean and minimalistic, with strong Northern European references that rely on tough materials and high contrast. “I am really fond of the clean uncluttered look,” Desiree says. des1 des4 des2 des7 des5

des6

des3

When Desiree moved into her apartment, it was apart of the newly converted former Eastern docklands, where she and her family were some of the area’s first inhabitants. With two small children, the house offered a practical, large space for a young family. With her children grown and out of the house, Desiree has took the opportunity during the summer of 2011 to create a more open plan living, starting with the removal of several walls and doorways. The removal of a wall seperating the kitchen and living room, as well as one between the bedroom and hallway, was a decision that has resulted in one of Desiree’s favourite features. “I love to see through from the kitchen to the living room and hall,” she says. At the same time, Desiree had her kitchen remodelled, featuring sleek white cabinetry, a built-in fridge and storage unit, and a black chalk painted wall. “I liked the combination of black, white and a touch of wood, and the black wall brings in some depth,” Desiree explains. She is now working on ideas for a light fixture above the dining room table, which will incorporate several pendant lights she has been collecting over the years.

des13

des20

des12

des16   des28

des19

des26

des29

The renovation was a swift process that was carefully considered, ensuring that Desiree wasn’t met with any challenges along the way. “I think a lot and very long about things,” she explains. “I had designed everything so I wouldn’t come up against any challenges. You have to be very sure when you start breaking down walls.” Though some 37 bags of stones were removed during the renovation, the efforts were well worth the results – a spacious home that offers stylish, open plan living in one of Amsterdam’s most up and coming areas. “I love to have space,” Desiree says. “I am fortunate to have an affordable home in a desirable area – the best of both worlds.”

clickhere_decor8

As for colour, Desiree prefers to keep things monochrome cool, relying primarily on black and white as the basis of her interior. “I used to have more colour in my home when my kids were at home, but over the years my style has changed.” Against a high contrast canvas, Desiree combines old, industrial items with design pieces and Scandinavian made furniture. “Scandinavian furniture is simple but well made. Clean design combines beautifully with craftsmanship, but what I love most is the strong emphasis on family businesses and their clean, contemporary take on old craftsmanship,” she says. But one of Desiree’s top tips when it comes to decorating is choosing pieces that are versatile. “I like to be able to change the look fast, so I am attracted to pieces that are versatile and can easily be moved around the house.”

des11

des24

des22

des33

des37

des34

Desiree applies the same decorating ethos to art around her home, preferring interchangeable, inexpensive art that can be quickly and easily applied. Some of this interior’s most striking features are the exposed concrete areas on otherwise white plastered walls. “I love the contrast between the concrete and the white,” Desiree says. “It is almost like a work of art.” This feature can be seen in the living room and also continues into the bedroom, where crisp whites dominate. “It feels good to wake up in a white and light space. I like my bedroom to be uncluttered,” Desiree says. A coatrack displays items worn on a daily basis, while the rest of Desiree’s wardrobe remains behind closed doors.

des23

des21

des35

des30

des36

So what is Desiree’s style secret? “I love imperfection. Walls don’t have to be perfectly finished; it’s the rough edges which I love most about my own home. A bit of the unexpected, with nice combinations of various materials. All a bit unpredictable.” So what did you love about this space? Could you have the discipline to go all black and white? I would love to read your comments, and look forward to seeing you back here next month for another fabulous home! – Holly

(text/images: holly marder)

Posted by decor8 in Homes With Heart on February 25, 2014

1. Holly Irwin commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 3:25pm

Love Desiree’s space! Black and white, so minimal. It just always looks right to me. Thanks for sharing,
    Holly

2. Yuko @ northfield gate commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 3:33pm

I LOVE this – every single thing about it! Of course, I love Desiree’s beautiful house in its simplistic glory, but I also enjoyed reading how she approached the renovation, and how she embraces imperfection. Her house truly is a work of art. Thank you so much for sharing! ox
    Yuko @ northfield gate´s last blog post ..5 Things I Learned in February

3. Barbara commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 3:43pm

wow, this is really beautiful space, with a lot of great details, art and solutions. I have similar kitchen with this black walls, only I have the titles, but I like this one more.
    The Lamp in the living room and black chalk closet, just perfect.
    Barbara´s last blog post ..Prague bits /// Detalji Praga

4. iHanna commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 4:02pm

Oh wow, what a beautiful home especially with all those black and white prints and typography strewn around the home. I wish I could do a home like this when I see these images, but I guess I’m too much of being a rainbow girl.
    iHanna´s last blog post ..Tin Can Assemblage

5. MeredithTested commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 4:53pm

I like how this space is monochromatic but cozy and lived-in. Thanks for sharing! There’s lots of great inspiration here.

6. Angela - designhaus no.9 commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 5:07pm

Hello, I know Desiree’s blog and I like it. Wonderful her black & white style.
    Angela – designhaus no.9´s last blog post ..Designer auf der Blickfang 2014 in München

7. Allyson commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 5:08pm

What a great space. Often the sparse use of colour can feel cold and unwelcoming but Desiree has created a clean, minimalist style that feels lived in and warm. It’s so fun to take something you’ve lived with for so long and create something new and fresh. The use of wood helps ground the space and provides that added texture. Thanks for opening your home and sharing.
    Allyson´s last blog post ..Electronic vs. Paper Invitations

8. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 5:34pm

I really like the look but don’t think I could live without color. Living in Germany and coming from California and the Pacific Northwest, I know how much color and light affect me. I like the brightness but I’d need pops of color!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..Stinky Situations: Old Spice Wolfthorn vs. Dove Care Clean Comfort

9. In a Trendy Town commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 5:52pm

Amazing lamp! We love this space.

In a Trendy Town´s last blog post ..Jollychic

10. Iris | c-more interior commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 6:35pm

I absolutely love the Home of Vosgesparis!! Thx for sharing it overthere :-)

11. Ginger Deverell commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 8:18pm

Love this space! Thanks for sharing.

12. Hedda Pier commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 8:20pm

You nailed it Holly, great pictures of a gorgeous home! x

13. Ofelia, from Mexico City commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 8:22pm

I love black and white combo, so uncluttered and serene, but I ‘m in doubt about if I can embrace myself in my space because many objects that I need and want to decorate-use daily only comes in colors, no white or black, so my choices are minimal.

14. Michelle commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 10:09pm

I love Desiree’s space – but I think she is so brave to go all black and white. I think I would be nervous to do this because I love colour so much – I’d have to inject a pop of colour somewhere! I particularly love all the thought that has gone into her styling – the little ornaments, pictures and pieces of art – how they all reflect the overall design concept and colours / materials that she’s using! It looks gorgeous and very very cool x
    Michelle´s last blog post ..Kitchen Cool: This week’s favourite

15. Sue Thomas commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 10:51pm

It is a beautiful stylish home though personally I could not live without colours – especially in England where is is so grey most of the time!

16. Rachel Follett commented
    February 25th, 2014 at 11:54pm

Beautiful spaces! I love how even though they are black and white it still has warmth.
    Rachel Follett´s last blog post ..Beautiful Table Setting

17. nicole von taste-gallery commented
    February 26th, 2014 at 9:49am

I love the black & white kitchen! Great style!
    nicole von taste-gallery´s last blog post ..Gemütlicher Essplatz mit über die Jahre gesammelten Designklassikern

18. Anke commented
    February 26th, 2014 at 12:54pm

Thanks for this nice tour of Desiree´s home. I follow her blog and know her place as well from Holly´s book, but I found this blog post very interesting.

I love the mixture of black and white, the conrete walls and the wooden accents a lot. And the Scandinavian style! But in my home I need a little bit more colour.

Anke

19. Mary Jo Hoffman commented
    February 26th, 2014 at 2:56pm

I love Desiree’s style! I have been trying to evolve to something similar for two years. And it is so much harder than it looks! Color just wants to creep in all the time–books, clothes, gifts, backpacks…. I had someone give me a red cashmere pillow and when i put it in the living room, it threw the whole room off–it was like a beacon it looked so loud. So I commend her and her disciplined restraint! It’s a fun look for these northern latitudes!
    Mary Jo
    Mary Jo Hoffman´s last blog post ..police line up

20. Kevin | Thou Swell commented
    February 26th, 2014 at 4:00pm

I love these bold contrasts, but I think if you do choose black and white as your palette, you should throw in some accents of one other color like some indoor plants or bright pillows to add color!
    Kevin | Thou Swell´s last blog post ..Casual Cottage Living

21. Stacey commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 3:47am

It’s awesome
    Stacey´s last blog post ..Travel Bug.

22. Marie Solveg commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 12:07pm

Hello,

that´s inspiration fore me:-)
    Thank you!

So many different ways of using thing, it´s fantastic.
    I love the writing at the closet.
    I love the photos at the backside of paintings.
    I love a lot of the different small things.
    I love the old stepp………

Nice, nice and nice.
    Also I love Amsterdam, I have been there a lot my self.

23. Martina de Hugo commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 12:32pm

I love the Scandinavian style, so clean, so simple, so elegant. And the kind she choose the vintage items, is beautiful.

24. Desiree commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 7:23pm

Holly Irwin,
    Desiree´s last blog post ..African interiors | Black brown and Bamboo

25. Desiree commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 7:25pm

Mary Jo Hoffman,

hehe so cool to read this ! You know… you just have to stick to your plan ;)
    Desiree´s last blog post ..African interiors | Black brown and Bamboo

26. Anu commented
    February 27th, 2014 at 9:09pm

Perfection, just my taste!
    Anu´s last blog post ..Finally on Instagram!

27. Gudy Herder commented
    February 28th, 2014 at 1:59pm

Super article as usual, Holly. Your posts are always wonderful so see and read! And you have so much deserved making it on the the VTWonen cover! so happy for you! xoxo
    Gudy Herder´s last blog post ..DIY Metallic Desk Organizers

28. Angel commented
    March 1st, 2014 at 2:40pm

I love the black wall in the kitchen.
    Angel´s last blog post ..How to create a stunning nursery, tip number 8 is my favorite

29. Jill commented
    March 1st, 2014 at 2:54pm

What a great home– I love the kitchen. Do you know what paint colours she used?

30. Desiree commented
    March 2nd, 2014 at 12:34pm

Jill,

hi Jill
    I have used Painting the past chalk paint on the black wall , if any more questions let me know ;)
    Desiree´s last blog post ..High contrast | Photo shoot by Holly for Decor8

31. Kayla Seah commented
    March 2nd, 2014 at 10:31pm

Just the most perfect space! Probably the most unassuming piece in this collection of photos, but I love the low, wide white shelf.
    Kayla Seah´s last blog post ..White Boots & Powder Blue

32. Holly {Avenue} commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 9:44am

Gudy,

Thank you so much for those sweet words. It’s been an amazing journey this past year. Excited to see where it all leads! And to think, it all started that weekend in Holly B’s studio :) x
    Holly {Avenue}´s last blog post ..Featured in vtwonen Magazine!

33. Astrid commented
    May 2nd, 2014 at 9:35pm

I love the floor! Would it be possible to let me know the exact colour code? I’d be very gratefull. Thanx!