Micro Trend: Teepees

February 27, 2014

Hello decor8 readers, are you ready for another trend report? I have been wanting to write about this Micro Trend for quite some time already but I thought it could be a nice moment to be shared when little Aidan (Holly’s baby) arrived. So let’s see if we get him a mini teepee when starting his first crawling adventures! What do you think, Holly? Have you noticed too a certain Native American trend on the rise, both in fashion and interior with loads of arrows, feathers and teepees? What do you think about it? I know in fashion, there have been issues raised about whether or not showing a model wearing a headdress is culturally appropriate. What do you think? How about for interiors though? Do you think a teepee is appropriate?

I say let us embrace the latest movement no matter if you consider yourself grown up and prefer to lounge rather on day beds or sofas. The novelty here is that it is not just thought up and designed for your kids. Your inner child will love having a good time with friends and your kids chilling on cushions and throws. I am thinking here about parties, events and picnics – or how about a romantic date? Indoor teepees have grown in popularity and interior designers and boutique owners have seen the potential in it. Let’s start with some playgrounds for adults…

Micro Trend: Teepees

Sukha – I guess we all have seen this white, simple yet wonderful teepee of the must-visit Sukha store in Amsterdam which has been all over the net for a while now. It looks like a perfect DIY idea for any inside or outdoor space to me.

Micro Trend: Teepees

Styling Emma Persson Lagerbers / Photography Petra Bindel for Urban Outfitters: This gorgeous styling has been done by Emma Persson Lagerbers for Urban Outfitters and is a total contrast to the first image. The tribe vibe here illustrates how differently you can create your own teepee world with a wide mix & match of all kinds of fabrics and patterns.

Micro Trend: Teepees

The Handmade Home – The Handmade Home suggests a no-sew totally self made teepee out of fabric samples which takes you not more than one day to fix. You decide on the design, it is a real low cost project and you could plan it as fun family project.

Micro Trend: Teepees

Mary Romneys’ home on Color Issue: And then you have the kids options where I picked some rather monochromatic examples. I love the Scandinavian edge here and how easy they seem to adapt to any space starting with this striped black and white tent.

Micro Trend: Teepees

Photo by Rolinda Windhorst, Seen on Stijlbloem: And how about a soft unisex design ready to fit into any corner? The fun thing about teepees is they are perfect for boys AND girls, and you can give them by styling a fun colorful twist or you go for a romantic look with mini flower prints, all up to you, there are so many options on the market.

Micro Trend: Teepees

Mokkasin: Sofia from Mokkasin sells gorgeous pieces in her online shop with a very lovely color range. This would not be the typical teepee but I wanted to show you this design anyhow since the idea and look are so inspiring.

Micro Trend: Teepees

Residence Magazine / Styling Lotta Agaton / Photography Pia Ulin: Lotta Agaton and Pia Ulin have been teaming up here again for another fantastic shooting published in Residence Magazine. The home owners live in Skivarp, Sweden in the middle of nowhere yet in a very stylish way.

Micro Trend: Teepees

MILK magazine: This loft and former warehouse located in Amsterdam gives the perfect scenery for a more industrial feeling with furs to stay cosy and wooden crates as toy storage containers. It’s quite a different child room feeling but that makes it so interesting, don’t you think?

Micro Trend: Teepees

April and May Styling for Zara’s Baby Collection 2014And to finish up, April and May have been styling the last mini and baby look book for Zara and it looks gorgeous. Loving the little flags on the top.

So, if you are now in the search for a teepee, Etsy is a great source, there are some there… I hope I have been able to seduce you a bit or transport you back to your childhood.
Do you believe this could be the summer party trend 2014 for adults?

(text: gudy/editing holly becker, images linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ana February 27, 2014 at 5:55 pm

I’m happy to hear this trend is not over yet. I want one for my daughter probably more than she wants it.

• Reply un23 ilaria February 27, 2014 at 6:06 pm

An absolutely adorable trend! I noticed all these little teepees for a while as well and I’d love to get one for me, oops for my kids ;-) Lovely post Gudy xx Have you both ladies a beautiful evening!

• Reply elodie February 27, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Oh gudy, this is so lovely. I can’t wait my daughter is big enough to have one in her bedroom.

• Reply Küchenzirkus February 27, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I love the handmade home one the best. Colorful and full of joy!

• Reply Giulia February 27, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I made a teepee for my daughter’s third birthday. I made it out of her old swaddle blankets and dresses she had outgrown. It’s fun to see the patchwork of memories being used years later by her and her brother.

• Reply Roseanna February 27, 2014 at 8:33 pm

My “puppies” have a Restoration Hardware kids teepee, for our large studio space. They love it. We put a huge round pillow and blankets in it. We chose the rough texture RAF reused canvas one. Spoiled or what?

• Reply Emily February 27, 2014 at 9:46 pm

Such a cute trend and you’ve put together a gorgeous selection. We have a super cute on from Cox & Cox, which I love for cosy reading, teddy bear picnics and for curling up with the iPad indoors in the Autumn/Winter and out in the garden in the Spring/Summer.
    We also spent our wedding night in a teepee, so they will always have a special place in my heart! x

• Reply Elena February 27, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I am definitely going to make one for my little boy Giulio!

• Reply Clever Girl Reviews February 27, 2014 at 10:35 pm

My mom made TeePees when we were kids. My siblings loved them! I wish she’d make them again and sell them!

• Reply Katrin February 28, 2014 at 1:38 am

Great post, Gudy! Danke.

I’d love to make a TipiLotta playtent for little Aidan. Interested in a custom made tent to fit his nursery, Holly?
    Since seeing little Aidan’s beautiful nursery I am dreaming of making a tipi for him.

See my TipiLotta indoor playtents here:

• Reply vanessa February 28, 2014 at 2:05 am

Love this trend! I think I will have to try a little DIY version of this! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Aileen@AtHomeinLove February 28, 2014 at 4:29 am

I’ve definitely noticed this trend, too, and I love it! I would totally hang out in an adult sized teepee. That top one is GORGEOUS :)

• Reply Dora February 28, 2014 at 10:34 am

I love it!! It´s a great idea for kids and adults. I want to make one with my nieces. I can´t wait!!

• Reply Vire-tue-elle February 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I like it ! :)

• Reply Beth February 28, 2014 at 4:48 pm

I absolutely love this trend! teepees are just so cosy looking and would be perfect for a children’s room when I finally have them. They also be lovely to have on rainy days so you can hide away with friends and loved ones to cosy up with hot chocolate, popcorn and a few good movies

• Reply stephanie@babasouk March 1, 2014 at 12:29 am

Oh my oh my I need one to hide! You know when I need a break ;)

• Reply Gudy Herder March 1, 2014 at 10:12 am

Thank you all for the lovely comments, I guess we all might need a teepee from time to time :-) Glad you liked the idea! xx

• Reply March 1, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Tepees are great for adults and kids. You offer such a fabulous collection in this post. Have you ever seen Ralph Lauren’s teepee? It is amazing.

• Reply Angel March 1, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I want one for me :)

• Reply Patricia March 3, 2014 at 9:14 am

Oh, what a fantastic idea! This is something my two boys would absolutely love. I might even join them. :)

• Reply Lorenashabitat March 4, 2014 at 4:43 am

Love your blog! Very inspiring!!!

• Reply Ministijl April 8, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I’m definitely making my own teepee when my daughter will be turning one year old.. or else I need to pay at least 100 euros .

• Reply karen September 2, 2015 at 12:51 am

Love this!! Any chance you know where the grey butterfly wings in the photos with the Numero 74 canopy is from? I checked the Mokkasin website and had difficulty navigating it as it wasn’t in English :)