Delicious Bites: Blood Orange Tea Cakes Recipe

Hi everyone, are you ready to see and taste Blood Orange Tea Cakes today? It’s Jillian here with my Delicious Bites column for March. As spring is nearly here, I decided to make some blood orange tea cakes to celebrate its arrival. Can you remember the first time you tasted a blood orange? I can. Somehow when I was 15, I managed to persuade my parents to send me on a school trip to Europe. By the time we made it to Italy; we were desperate for some real orange juice. We ordered glasses of orange juice and when they arrived we were sure the waiter had mixed up our order. We sipped our drinks and even though they looked like glasses of tomato juice, they tasted like orange juice.

As soon as blood oranges arrive at the fruit market, I always pick up a few and all these years later I still get a kick out of their brilliant colour. Blood oranges are a little more tart than a regular orange and are great in salads and make a fantastic orange cake. If blood oranges are hard to find where you live you can replace the blood orange in this recipe with a regular orange. I added a little almond meal to the mix to make sure the cakes were nice and moist.

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

As mini bundt tins differ in size it’s a bit hard to predict how many cakes the mixture will make. I used quite large tins and made 3 cakes but I think you’d get 6 cakes if you used mini bundt tins. If you’d like to make a 9 inch bundt cake just double the recipe and the cake will take close to an hour to bake. No cake is complete without icing. Can you believe the vibrant colour of the blood orange icing? When I saw these poppies and realised they were the same shade as the blood orange icing, I had to have them.

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

Here’’s the recipe for you.

BLOOD ORANGE TEA CAKES
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
100g (3½ oz) caster sugar
Finely grated rind of 1½ small blood oranges
1 egg
1/4 cup self raising flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup strained blood orange juice

METHOD
Grease and flour 3- 6 mini bundt tins. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Sift the flour into a small bowl and mix together with the almond meal. Set to one side. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, orange rind and caster sugar until light and fluffy. In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg then gradually mix into butter mixture. If the mixture starts to look curdled, add a spoonful of the flour mixture. Add the remaining flour mixture into the batter alternating with the orange juice to make a soft batter. If the batter looks too thick add a little more juice. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and bake the cake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until the top is lightly golden and cake is cooked when tested with a skewer. Leave the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before turning out on a wire rack. When the cakes have cooled completely, ice with the blood orange icing.

BLOOD ORANGE ICING
15 g (1/2 oz) softened unsalted butter
1/2 tsp finely grated orange rind
1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons blood orange juice
Optional – edible flowers

I decided to decorate the top of the cake with some basil flowers. As well as being very pretty and edible I discovered that basil goes really well with orange. have you discovered any other surprising flavour combinations?

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

Cream the butter and orange rind together. Add in the icing sugar and enough juice to make a soft icing. Drizzle over the cooled cakes. Decorate with edible flowers if desired.

And of course, always add some fresh flowers nearby as you set your table and serve your delicious bites.

Blood Orange Tea Cakes

See you all again next month with another Delicious Bites column. Bye for now, Jillian

(images/text: jillian lieboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on March 03, 2014

1. Rebecca commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 3:09pm

These look so perfect for spring!
    Rebecca
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Five Uses for Coconut Oil

2. Molly {Dreams in HD} commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 7:51pm

thees are so gorgeous jillian!
    perfect for spring.

3. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 9:25pm

Absolutely stunning! I love it!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Scottsdale Mom’s Blog and one of their new contributors!

4. tere commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 9:37pm

Such beautiful styling!!! Thanks for sharing Jillian!
    tere´s last blog post ..hi-tech monday: inspiración deco on line / deco inspiration on line

5. Victoria Ross commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 10:21pm

What a fantastic recipe for Easter. I don’t think Blood Oranges get enough traction. They are absolutely fantastic. Have you ever tried the Blood Orange variety of San Pellegrino? It’s delicious!

Thanks for the recipe
    -V

6. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 10:39pm

With one egg I might be able to adapt this to be egg free! can’t wait to try it out!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..Luxe Be A Lady Tonight: Luxe Sweatshirts For Women

7. jillian leiboff commented
    March 3rd, 2014 at 11:02pm

Victoria Ross,

No but I will,

J
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..swetschkuchen – german plum cake

8. Helen Ludford commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 1:15am

Looks beautiful ! Must try.

9. Zandra Zuraw commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 4:12am

Oh my, how beautiful! I love blood oranges and this recipe looks amazing. I must make time to try this out. Thanks so much for the inspiring photos!
    Zandra Zuraw´s last blog post ..Bookish

10. Eva commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 8:45am

That looks delicious.
    And I wanted to congratulate you on your Home Design: Lifetime Achievement Award from Apartment Therapy! You deserve it!

11. In a Trendy Town commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 12:12pm

Amazing deco in this declicious cakes, we love pink!

Thanks!!!

In a Trendy Town´s last blog post ..Outfit: Fur vest

12. chelsea commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 7:10pm

This looks amazing!

13. PinkPanthress commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 8:03pm

I’ve done a lot of baking with Citrus… but using blood orange/grapefruit?

P.S.: Beautiful photographs…
    PinkPanthress´s last blog post ..Tumblr Tuesday IX

14. Erin commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 9:15pm

Hi Kelly, I love your blog! I’ve been following it for quite some time. I just wanted to let you know that I posted a link to your blog (and made a little comment about your blog) on my blog today! I hope you don’t mind. I wanted to share it with my followers. Here’s a link to it so you can see it:http://www.lifeaswegoit.com/2014/03/i-love-blogs.html. If you have any issues with it, please let me know. Take care and happy blogging :) -Erin

15. jillian leiboff commented
    March 4th, 2014 at 9:36pm

Clever Girl Reviews,

Have you ever tried using flax seed as an egg replacement? I haven’t but I’d love to know if it works.
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..swetschkuchen – german plum cake

16. Shell commented
    March 5th, 2014 at 10:33am

Cannot wait to cook this divine little treats . A beautiful post that is full of Autumn inspired colour. Heart It !!!!! Shell – A Darlings Nest

17. jillian leiboff commented
    March 5th, 2014 at 10:41pm

Thanks for all the lovely comments
    jillian leiboff´s last blog post ..swetschkuchen – german plum cake

18. Sarah @ Mocha commented
    March 6th, 2014 at 9:14am

What a perfect recipe for the start of spring!
    Sarah @ Mocha´s last blog post ..5 Ways To Bring Spring Into Your Home

19. Marie Solveg commented
    March 6th, 2014 at 1:28pm

Goodday,
    such a beautiful and lovely Blood Orange Tea cake you made, I love your decoration:-)
    Great ingredience, I will try it next weekend.
    Maria