Moody + Inviting Home Tour Of Designer Tracie Ellis

This home is so gorgeous, I simply must share it as I wrap up a week’s worth of posts on decor8! It’s definitely moody, inviting, warm and very stylish for sure. Owned by Tracie Ellis of the brand, AURA, her country home in Victoria’s Kyneton, Australia, is a real stunner. Especially if you’re a fan of grays and blues and a home that feels like a very sophisticated take on Sherlock Holmes. Maybe actor Benedict Cumberbatch (as Sherlock on the BBC) could live here? (And by the way, are you a fan of Sherlock because I totally am…) Anyway, I digress. Let’s look at Tracie’s fab home, shall we? I also interviewed her for this piece, so you can follow along below to learn more about Tracie and what inspired this space!

Unknown-1

Unknown-10

Unknown-21

Unknown-18

Unknown-6

Unknown-5

Unknown-19

Okay, now that we’ve had time to drool over her lovely home, let’s talk to Tracie a little about it.

What do you do for a living?
TE: I am the creative director for AURA by Tracie Ellis

Tell us more about your company?
TE: AURA is an uninhibited, stylish range of homewares; including bedlinen, cushions, throws and rugs. Designed in Melbourne, Australia and inspired by years of global meandering, AURA is about extravagant colour, grand shapes and daring patterns.

What do you love about your home the most?
TE: The space & the proportions – when we first viewed the house I remember my husband being quite taken aback from the grandness of it all. But now we have created a family house that is warm and inviting. I love that when I arrive I relax straightaway, I don’t do that in the city. I also love my garden, we have a fabulous Veggie Garden & the most beautiful roses.

What are some of the favorite pieces in your home?
TE: The lighting, we have a mix of traditional crystal chandeliers, that where in the house when we brought it, and I have added a Dutch brass chandelier in the entrance hall, the stunning Dutch style glass lanterns, and industrial lighting. Also the Portrait in the Lounge room, titled the Academic by an unnamed artist and The Thonet no.16 Settee in the entrance hall.

What makes a house a home in your opinion?

TE: The family and friends who share your space and the love that is there.

How would you define your personal style?
TE: Elegant, with a modern relaxed aesthetic.

How long did it take you to get your home to where it is today?
TE: It took us 9 months to paint and decorate the house, and we still aren’t finished it is a work in process.

When you begin designing a room, where do you begin and why?
TE: When we began designing the house I made mood boards for each room & the exterior. I don’t think you can do a project without mood boards. I had too many ideas, so I called on my friend and interior designer Amanda Lynn, who helped me turn my ideas into reality.

When was your house built and how many rooms do you have?
TE: The house was built in 1857 and has 12 rooms – happy to send you a floor plan if of interest?

Who lives in this space? Spouse? Kids? Pets?
TE: Myself, my husband David and our spoilt miniature Schnauzer, Max.

Tell us how to mix in color in small doses in neutral spaces… You do it so well with the ottoman, old books, cushions. Etc. Any tricks of the trade?
TE: I’m a colour person, always have been, the colours we have used in the house have been inspired by Belgium interiors. All from the same neutral based palette, we have used tones of the same colour through the house, in and out (all wall paint is from Resene). While we have used quite strong colours in our scheme, it is not overwhelming, and each room flows into the next. We have been able to mix old and new in the same space through light and colour, by using traditional serene colours I believe we have been able to add a feeling of another time to the space.

So decor8 readers, do you have a favorite nook in her home? I really LOVE the rustic, inviting living room and that Thonet settee in the hallway because I’ve always wanted one to pair with my white round table in my workspace.

(images: aura home)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on March 14, 2014

1. Ameli commented
    March 14th, 2014 at 5:38pm

Wow- its really beautiful with its dark grey background and combination of rustic elements and contemporary decor.
    Ameli´s last blog post ..Resztki zimy

2. Emma commented
    March 14th, 2014 at 6:28pm

Wow, this home is incredible! Such beautiful dark hues, excellent lighting (the mix of crystal chandeliers and exposed bulb lights is especially cool) and it does kind of look like a place where Benedict Cumberbatch’s Sherlock might live. Thanks for sharing!
    Emma´s last blog post ..Fabulous Friday: The Elk Lighting Odyssey of the Living Room

3. Violette commented
    March 14th, 2014 at 8:48pm

Yes, I think the colors are inviting and unusual. Sherlock is big big on tumblr; check out http://loudest-subtext-in-television.tumblr.com/metas
    for the most addicting metas on the show. Love the blog, Holly.

4. Grey | lovewishfully.com commented
    March 14th, 2014 at 8:53pm

This is incredible! I love everything from the floor to ceiling (especially the floor and those beautiful ceilings!) (also, I think the little deer to frighten me in the middle of the night!). My dream is to live in a mid-19th century home, so I’m a bit jealous. I’d love to see what the exterior looks like. I bet the architecture is stunning.
    Grey | lovewishfully.com´s last blog post ..Easy Chicken Udon

5. Anna commented
    March 14th, 2014 at 10:29pm

Love it! So many great ideas for our next project! Thanks for sharing.

6. C French commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 12:10am

Very lovely except the dead animal on display. Very bad chi.

7. Shalagh Hogan commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 3:10am

I am intrigued by these pictures. It’s quite the opposite of the all white interior and I love that. There’s just enough light and dark to balance. The palette is simple but the aesthetic is opposite somehow. Upside down backwards and I’m so totally in love. Thank you for the inspiration and stimulation Holly.
    Love,
    Shalagh
    Shalagh Hogan´s last blog post ..Fresh Flowers

8. Ruth Singer commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 12:55pm

one of the most beautiful houses I have ever seen! Lovely use of grey / black and interesting old objects.
    Ruth Singer´s last blog post ..Unfold – exploring the process of collaboration

9. Lucy Snowe commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 7:33pm

I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberpatch..and this HOMe :)

10. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 9:12pm

I’m loving all the inspiration of black or off black walls I’m seeing lately! Thanks for fueling my obsession!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..St.Patrick’s Day Meal Idea

11. Tracie Ellis commented
    March 15th, 2014 at 11:35pm

Grey | lovewishfully.com,

Grey | lovewishfully.com,

Thankyou very much everyone for your comments on our beautiful house, I was very excited to share it with Holly for Decor8! And Grey, if you’d like to check out the exterior you can see more images on our website. Ellishouse.com.au, Enjoy Tracie x

12. dawn commented
    March 16th, 2014 at 12:01am

impeccably put together … love the textures and how they play off one another … gloss, chalky, velvet, patina … love the lighting, absolutely beautifully done … love the nook with the books … so gorgeous! i think this is one of my favorite interiors you have showcased.
    dawn´s last blog post ..inspiration rx …

13. Indie commented
    March 16th, 2014 at 5:16am

I have stayed at Ellis House as it’s available to rent through Airbnb or at the website http://www.ellishouse.com.au. And I can assure your readers that it’s just as beautiful as the images.
    Thanks for featuring Holly – great to see some more Australian design on your gorgeous blog.
    Indie

14. Michelle commented
    March 16th, 2014 at 7:08am

Oh, all those books!! Old L.M.Montgomery books- I had to look some up, and hubby thought I was too hilarious for asking for some – I mean what’s a “few” thousand dollars on books for a book lover, heehee? So beautiful, I just love everything. And a big YES to Benedict Cumberbatch! He is by far my favorite Sherlock, I am a crazy person over that show!

15. Laura commented
    March 16th, 2014 at 11:38am

She is a kindred spirit! Look at the beautiful hardcover copy of Rilla of Ingleside. Such a wonderful book.

Gorgeous house, but I would be nervous with the deer watching me all the live long day.

16. bixx commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 12:57am

nice. good call on ben- perhaps a hybrid ben/sherlock would live here.

17. L'Oliphant commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 9:42am

Great ideas for my new home! love it! thanks!

18. Desha Peacock commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 12:48pm

Love the lighting and mix of chandeliers with drop lights- very cool.
    Desha Peacock´s last blog post ..One Month in Mexico

19. Chi chi Furniture commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 1:59pm

I love this home. The use of dark hues looks so sophisticated and stylish, but is softened by the stunning chandeliers and neutral elements and hints of gold here and there. The beautiful furniture and ornate additions add charm and new levels to the home – the balance is perfect.

20. Olivia commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 5:22pm

Absolutely stunning and beautifully moody and mysterious! Love the rustic yet elegant feel. Thanks for posting!
    Olivia´s last blog post ..Holiday gift guide

21. Julia@Cuckoo4Design commented
    March 17th, 2014 at 7:10pm

Oh I love this home.
    So schön!
    Julia@Cuckoo4Design´s last blog post ..New bedding with Crane & Canopy

22. Patricia commented
    March 18th, 2014 at 8:55am

What an incredibly gorgeous home! I love how everything is grounded by dark furniture without making it feel over the top or heavy. Serious-looking and moody, yes. But in a very stylish way! I can totally imagine Sherlock living here! That dining table would be totally covered with flasks and glass beakers though. :)
    Patricia´s last blog post ..When Life Throws a Curveball

23. Robert commented
    March 28th, 2014 at 3:44pm

I am not a big fan of the deer, but other than that, the house is absolutely stunning. The dark colours of the walls and the light give some sort of Baroque touch, in my opinion.

Really looking forward to your next house tour!

24. Dewald commented
    December 18th, 2014 at 1:49pm

This house has my favorite colors which is black, grey and white. Everything goes with black and white.