Bloggers

Happy Interior Blog

March 18, 2014

I have to begin this post by saying that I’m so happy to have Igor Josifovic from the Happy Interior blog here today because I really, truly adore this guy. He is just so likable and authentic. I’ve met up with him in “real time” on a few occassions over the past years and always find him so professional on one side and really warm and funny on the flipside. He’s a bit of a chameleon, he can be crazy and go bonkers with the best of us but also be a very professional, knowledgeable guy as the situation calls. I think he’s just the sweetest blogger out there and so I’m thrilled he agreed to be part of my Blogger’s Favorites mini series on decor8.

Happy Interior Blog

If you don’t know Igor (shown above), he lives and works in Munich but is frequently in Paris and also visiting numerous design fairs around Europe – he’s very much a fan of design and though his day job is a good one (he’s a marketing guru at Seimens), he is super passionate about decorating, design, art and styling. I’ve loved watching him grow his blog over the years and I’m quite proud of him for what he is accomplishing as a blogger. Go, Igor, rock on! So let’s talk to Igor about his favorite things (ax) today, shall we?

Happy Interior Blog

Five favorite things:
1: Favorite look- I love interiors that are very personal and reveal a bit of the dweller’s character. My personal style is an urban mix of Scandinavian design with vibrant, colorful accents and ethnic elements. I love to combine the cool, sharp Scandi design with eclectic ethnic pieces with vivacious colours.

Happy Interior Blog

2: Favorite trend – As an avid ‘Urban Jungle Blogger’ I love the trend to add greens to interiors. All sorts of houseplants are making their way into interiors – even in cool shops and on design fairs I’ve seen houseplants galore. And it’s a myth that you need to have a ‘green thumb’ to add plants to your home. All you need to do is just get to know the plant a little bit better and then it’s as easy as anything else.

Happy Interior Blog

3: Favorite object – More plant pots by London based ceramicist Stella Baggott! I already own four of her handmade planters but I really need more to extend my beloved collection. However, it is pretty tricky to get hold of her design pieces: Many people have already heard of ‘Atelier Stella’ and her online sales are sold out within minutes. But I am ready for her next sale!

Happy Interior Blog

4: Favorite object that you see everywhere at the moment: I love the String shelving units. I love their simple yet striking design and they offer lots of storage place as well as styling space. As a Scandinavian design classic I keep seeing them everywhere – on blogs and in interior magazines.

Happy Interior Blog

5: Favorite miscellaneous: I am a travel maniac (that’s an ocean scene above my bed, a favorite place of mine). If I don’t travel for a while, I feel like something’s wrong in my life. Traveling fuels my creativity and inspires my life – if I were doomed to an idle life, I’d go crazy probably. That’s why my next trip is already booked and I am in the middle of my preparations: Soon I’ll be off to Israel and discovering Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea!

Why do you like these five – what attracts you? I think this mix of likes is rooted in my mixed background. I was born in Austria to Serbian parents, I had spent most of my childhood summers in what then was Yugoslavia, I studied in Athens, Greece, and traveled the country from north to south, I worked in Vienna and Berlin and now I live between Munich and Paris. All these combined with my happy personality sort of explains my likings and preferences as stated above.

What trends are you tired of? COPPER. I am getting to the point of ‘I’ve seen enough copper’. Maybe it’s time to move on.

Happy Interior Blog

What do you predict will be hot next? The reign of unique, handmade pieces. From furniture to décor items – I see a growing number of bloggers adding special, custom- made or simply handmade pieces to their homes. Whether it’s a custom-made shelving unit for their home or handmade, one-of-a-kind ceramic pieces – I think we are going more and more towards a more individual approach and a stronger appreciation of handmade pieces in our interiors.

Connect with Igor: Happy Interior Blog / Pinterest / Instagram

Don’t miss the other bloggers already featured in this series:
The Style Files
Happy Mundane
Justina Blakeney

Feel free to say hello to Igor in the comments section or ask him any questions that you may have!

(images: igor josif except portrait, taken by riikka kantinkoski and the string shelves by string.)

You Might Also Like

45 Comments

• Reply Igor March 18, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Thank you very much for including me in this illustrious round of bloggers! I hope your readers will like it as much as I do:-)

• Reply Serena March 18, 2014 at 3:15 pm

We love that guy! ;)

• Reply DJ March 18, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Gorgeous! Your apartment is beautiful and I’m excited to see more from Igor on his blog. Igor: I’m also heading to Israel on vacation soon — would love to hear what you won’t be missing while you’re there (and can’t wait to see what kind of unique pieces you’ll be bringing back with you)!

• Reply Stephanie March 18, 2014 at 3:44 pm

I absolutely agree with Igor about custom and handmade pieces – it’s definitely the way to go! I’m so glad to see more and more people taking an interest in how these beautiful things are made, and where. The growing involvement of customers in the making process is really inspiring.

• Reply Karine Kong March 18, 2014 at 4:31 pm

I love Igor! He is great fun and fab company. Perfect guy to have a good time with, n’est ce pas Igor ;-)

• Reply Chedva March 18, 2014 at 5:11 pm

Igor is the best! Always so positive and friendly and with an extraordinary eye for design.

• Reply adolf witzeling March 18, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Great article. On a side note: He works for Siemens and not Seimens

• Reply Elisabeth March 18, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Who makes the magazine rack/shelf in the last photo?

• Reply Galina March 18, 2014 at 9:03 pm

It’s good time to visit Israel.
    Igor,I’ll wait for your report about my country.
    Holly,thanks for so interesting mini series.

• Reply Igor March 18, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hey DJ, I will definitely share my Israel experiences and finds on my blog once I am back – hope you’ll get some good tips and recommendations for your Israel trip:-)

• Reply Sarah March 18, 2014 at 9:14 pm

I am really enjoying Blogger’s Favorites Holly!

I love adding green to a room through plants and I think I am still drooling over those lovely ceramic pots by Stella Baggott.

• Reply Mireya Pizarro March 18, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Interesting interview. I really like the insight about the handmade goods collections. This would be great….to be able to design something that would fit with my decor and represent my character. This gives me much to think about in terms of my business.

• Reply geraldine@littlebigbell March 18, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love your home and styling Igor! I’m beginning to sound like a broken record! See you in April! xx

• Reply DesignBreak March 18, 2014 at 9:49 pm

Oh my Holly,
    I couldn’t have said it any better.
    I adore Igor and his bright and happy personality.
    Plus, there is nothing like spending time with blogger friends in the real world!

• Reply Amy @apidaecandles.de March 18, 2014 at 10:01 pm

Hey Igor, Fun to see you here! Your happiness shines through in your blog.

• Reply Mindi - Dandi March 18, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I would LOVE to know where the artwork behind the couch is from! and also the coffee table – its gorgeous.

• Reply mel March 18, 2014 at 11:00 pm

It’s so true that Igor comes across as such a great fun guy yet so professional. Love what he’s doing connecting bloggers with the “Urban Jungle Blogger”! Also interesting about the copper trend, it really has been around a lot longer than I imagined it would. Great series Holly! Mel x

• Reply Michelle March 18, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Igor has a gorgeous home! It was lovely to get more of an insight into his thoughts on design & favourite styles!

• Reply Andreia March 19, 2014 at 12:27 am

I’m loving this new feature on your blog, Holly.

Wise words about handmade and one-of-a-kind pieces in decoration, Igor.
    Your collection of pots and green plants is beautiful. Love the mix of grey and hues of green. Grey is one of my favourite colour :)

• Reply Lucy Chen March 19, 2014 at 12:37 am

I just LOVE LOVE these little pot plants!!!

• Reply Marilen March 19, 2014 at 1:15 am

Hi Holly and Igor! I love your blogs and have been following you ever since I started my own design blog with the help of Martine de Luna of thedaintymom, now makeitblissful.com.

Do check out my site one time. Still learning.. And will surely joing a blogging your way lesson soon. I believe i signed the mail for that.

Thank you to you both for being my source of inspiration.

• Reply Evie {Domestic Whimsy} March 19, 2014 at 4:12 am

That collection of houseplants is awesome! I also love the rug under that desk :)

• Reply Amy March 19, 2014 at 7:37 am

loved hearing your thoughts and thank you for sharing all the visual inspiration igor :) i’m the same way – totally need to travel *a lot*… was just telling my husband the other day that i want to go to israel – i feel they have so much amazing artisan and handmade work there!

• Reply Igor March 19, 2014 at 10:12 am

Elisabeth,

Hi Elisabeth, the magazine rack is from Finnish Design Shop. It’s called ‘City Sunday’ and is available in various colours.

• Reply anastasia March 19, 2014 at 11:55 am

such a lovely guy – very talented too! a real taste-maker and a great blog too!

• Reply Ana Fensismensi March 19, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Well, how can you not love this happy face. Smiles every time you see him on photos. His posts are happy and inspirational and I love the reports he brings from all the fairs. Makes everybody happy.

• Reply Laura Gaskill March 19, 2014 at 6:23 pm

This series is so much fun — I especially love hearing each blogger’s take on what’s hot, what they’re over, and what’s going to be the next big thing. Love Igor’s style…so happy to “see” him here! : )
    hugs,
    Laura

• Reply Clever Girl Reviews March 19, 2014 at 6:30 pm

What a great space!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily March 19, 2014 at 7:10 pm

I totally agree Holly-Igor is just a great guy and I can’t believe how fantastically well he has done with his blog in such a short spec of time. Congratulations Igor-you are super-talented!

• Reply michelle March 19, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I love that colourful rug in last pic. where did you get it?

• Reply Judith March 20, 2014 at 1:20 am

This post makes me so happy, Holly! And also very proud to work with Igor on our Urban Jungle Bloggers series. I totally agree with you, he’s very professional and ever so funny too. And love his comment about custom & homemade items, that’s the way to go!

• Reply Victoria @ Alf & Emilio March 20, 2014 at 3:45 am

The little face planters are so cute !! I have just written a post about planters for succulents as terrariums are very on trend for interios at the moment and I love them !! These little people ones are so cute though I can’t wait to get my hands on one I think now there are so so many cool and quirky planters that there is never any need for a boring old plain plant pot ! Succulents are VERY hard to kill I have heard… so I think it is the best choice of plant for me !!

Great post, the interiors look so fresh and clean and ready for Spring !

I am now following on bloglovin so can’t wait to see what you have coming next !

Thanks,
    Victoria @ Alf & Emilio

• Reply Junaid Ahmed March 20, 2014 at 8:49 am

Yes Igor is really and amazing guy! I don’t know him personally but with the reference of his blogs. He have great experience in interior design that is showed in his blog posts. I find many new ideas and tips of interior designing and decoration from his blog. Well, your own post is also very cool, I liked that plants collection. Thank you for sharing the great post here.

• Reply Elodie (madame love) March 20, 2014 at 9:54 am

Oh Holly, so happy to see my friend Igor over here! He is so sweet and his blog is so inspiring. I wish you both a great day.
    Elodie

• Reply Chi chi Furniture March 20, 2014 at 10:51 am

Hello, really enjoyed this post. Have visited Igors blog on previous occasions and really enjoyed it. The title ‘Happy Interior Blog’ says it all. I love walking into homes where the owners character shines through and there’s a warm/welcoming vibe – thats how I hope my home is perceived anyway :O) Handmade custom pieces are all about making a home personal and unique – I love it

• Reply Igor March 20, 2014 at 11:42 am

michelle,

Hi Michelle, the rug in my dining nook is a vintage kilim from Turkey. I bought it on eBay – you can find great pieces there, just look for ‘vintage kilim’.

• Reply Igor March 20, 2014 at 11:48 am

Mindi – Dandi,

Hi Minid-Dandi! The artwork above the couch is from various sources: The moon print is from ‘Double Merrick’, the girl portrait is by Portland based artist Emily Winfield Martin, the Paris illustration is by Germany based artist Natasa Vuckovic of ‘navucko’ and the print with the art quote is from ‘Ever Made’. The coffee table is from ‘Fashion for Home’. :-)

• Reply Door March 20, 2014 at 10:51 pm

Beautiful pictures! Thanks.

• Reply Gudy Herder March 21, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Igor is one of the most authentic people out there with highest energy (he hardly sleeps) and helping out whenever he can. It’s really fab seeing him over here! Great series, Holly! xo

• Reply Jahaila March 22, 2014 at 3:38 pm

I LOVE his Urban / Scandinavian style- Adding his blog now!!!

• Reply Loom Decor March 24, 2014 at 1:14 am

Love, love, love his blog! Great choice for revealing a hidden gem that many don’t know about. Bravo!

• Reply Sarah March 25, 2014 at 6:32 pm

These posts are really spectacular. Excuse my English is bad I know but I wanted to tell you that I follow your blog and always find it full of inspiration, always fresh and full of ideas. Congratulations!

• Reply Simone March 26, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I love the magazine holder from the last picture :) Where can I buy that? :D

• Reply Igor March 26, 2014 at 11:49 pm

Simone,

Hi Simone, you can find the magazine rack in the webshop Finnish Design Shop.

• Reply Emma March 27, 2014 at 11:08 am

I love the collection of plants. They are so playful and beautiful, this definitely gives me ideas for my dining room table. Thanks!