Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

There is so much going on in the field of flooring! Hi this is Gudy and I’m here with another trend post for the month of March. Let’s talk about floors. I have seen beautiful ceramic tiles for floors that have become a highly valued option with the much seen white subway tiles, beehive or hex shapes and the herringbone pattern. If you are much more into a material that feels and looks cosy, you’ll probably go for parquet but for those who want to try something new, mixed flooring options such as ceramic tiles AND wood are really trendy now.

Paula-Navone-ndustrial-Style-18-Wichmann-Bendtsen-Est-Magazine-

Est Magazine | Paola Navone

I started seeing this material combo last year when Paola Navone’s residential project in Italy was published. Still until now there is no other space I have seen that beats it. The color and shape remind me of a sea of clouds where the wooden tiles are perfectly cut to fit into the ceramic pieces. The contrast of the warm wood and cooler colors chosen for the tiles is really working here.

gudy2
Here’s another look (above) shown over at 41zero42 in Italy that I love, it’s a beautiful look in a kitchen/dining space. What I like about this trend is you are defining your own style. Combining the two materials in a single room creates a customized look where you can work your design skills and get a unique look & feel. You decide on the shape, colors and pattern.

tumblr_mo7xt3wv811r67rloo1_1280
Patrycja Domanska

Kitchens and bathrooms are ideal locations to combine hardwood and ceramic flooring because the materials are durable and easy to match to counters and cabinets. And it looks great!

Kitchen-diner

Livingetc | Photography Jake Fitzjones

2919313_original

Valvet

And then you have the ‘high traffic’ areas. Hallways and entryways receive traffic that can wear down natural hardwood floors over time. Plus, many times your wipe your (wet) shoes of in this area. It is not just a question of trend but a practical solution for certain areas in your home too.

clickhere_decor8

FESTEN arquitecture

This is quite masculine yet it looks great and gives a certain loft feeling in this photo studio in Paris.

DSC_4225
Midhill restaurant in Helsinski via Little Helsinki

gudy3

And to finish up, the same manufacturer Paola Navone had chosen called Tabarka Studio has another spectacular and unique look combining tile with wood.

Are you into wood or tiles? And could you see at your home a combo of both? If so, which design did you like here the most? Have a wonderful upcoming Spring time! Warmly, Gudy

(images linked to their sources above)

Posted by decor8 in Top Trends, uncategorized on March 29, 2014

1. Sarah Yakawonis commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 4:06pm

I love the one from 41zero42 ! Why does saving up for a house take so long, I can’t wait until I own a house and I can do something like this to it!
    Sarah Yakawonis´s last blog post ..Franklin D. Roosevelt quote, “by all means, try something” quote, Inspirational poster, Paper art print, FDR print, FDR Quote by YakawonisQuilling

2. Christine commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 4:39pm

I’ve been researching similar flooring combinations (more out of necessity than choice), but now I actually love the contrast between the two materials. The examples you chose are pretty amazing, let’s hope we can achieve something similar!
    Christine´s last blog post ..Two Down – Seven To Go

3. iHanna commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 5:34pm

I love my wood floors, but every time I see stuff like this I wish I didn’t live in a small rental… :-)
    iHanna´s last blog post ..iHanna’s DIY Postcard Swap Spring 2014

4. Marie Solveg commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 6:23pm

I am totaly wild about the flors:-)

Marie
    Marie Solveg´s last blog post ..Whipped Milkshake :)

5. sula362 commented
    March 29th, 2014 at 8:23pm

some of those look super. What I find interesting as well is that today you can get ceramic tiles that look like wood, and cork floors digitally printed to look like wood. Just what is a wood floor these days?
    sula362´s last blog post ..planning an apartment

6. Nicole Nicol commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 7:26am

wow that has blown me away..love that.
    Especially the bathroom one.. great post x
    Nicole Nicol´s last blog post ..Pinterest Pick… colourful cots

7. thejoyofcolor commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 9:02am

Love the one with the kitchen the wood tile combo is beautiful

8. Kim B. commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 12:00pm

I saw this in a restaurant here in Paris a couple of years ago and loved it. These herringbone inserts are quite something!

9. 3girls1apple commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 7:44pm

Great pics. Love the table in the second pic. Thanks for sharing!

10. caroline @trend-daily commented
    March 30th, 2014 at 7:50pm

Thanks for another great post Gudy-one day I’d love tiles in our upstairs bathroom ;-) xx
    caroline @trend-daily´s last blog post ..urban jungle bloggers

11. Rita commented
    March 31st, 2014 at 1:53pm

But wood get’s bigger when wet, and stone — don’t.

And it’s looks not so fancy
    Rita´s last blog post ..How Oil Prevent Nail Polish from Chipping

12. Gudy Herder commented
    April 1st, 2014 at 9:25am

Rita,
    Hi Rita,
    I guess when any company offers these possibilities they have backed up with sustainable solutions. Here is what I found, hope it helps:

” It depends upon the type of flooring you decide to use. Engineered flooring will have less expansion/contraction than milled lumber, however, at 5″ to 8″ in width you’re not going to get any appreciable wood movement from either type of flooring. ”

13. mel commented
    April 1st, 2014 at 11:25am

Oh I love them both and I really enjoy this micro trend! In our Sydney place we have wood floors that steps into a sunroom with milky blue, grey and white cement tiles it was a great effect but there was a door step between. I wish I tried this continuous style. Another great report Gudy! M x
    mel´s last blog post ..Insta Moments #4

14. Doris commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 2:44pm

Hi Gudy & Holly, what a great post. I really like this trend and I can see it working really well in a large open plan area to help differentiate between multiple zones in both residential and commercial interiors. Thanks for the inspiration. xD
    Doris´s last blog post ..Out & About: Cherry Blossoms

15. Tracey commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 6:16pm

This is absolutely fabulous! It’s something I haven’t seen before and it’s creative. I love the mix of materials, depth and texture. Love love love!
    Tracey´s last blog post ..Laurie & Randy Kelder Home featured in Style At Home Magazine

16. Justwood commented
    April 16th, 2014 at 2:13pm

Wow!! simply wows.. Cant express how does the white hardwood and ceramic flooring looks like. Amazing. Changed the entire look of the room . Thanks for sharing this amazing post and variety collections of flooring types.

17. ramolinne commented