Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

March 29, 2014

There is so much going on in the field of flooring! Let’s talk about floors. I have seen beautiful ceramic tiles for floors that have become a highly valued option with the much seen white subway tiles, beehive or hex shapes and the herringbone pattern. If you are much more into a material that feels and looks cosy, you’ll probably go for parquet but for those who want to try something new, mixed flooring options such as ceramic tiles AND wood are really trendy now.

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

Est Magazine | Paola Navone

I started seeing this material combo last year when Paola Navone’s residential project in Italy was published. Still until now there is no other space I have seen that beats it. The color and shape remind me of a sea of clouds where the wooden tiles are perfectly cut to fit into the ceramic pieces. The contrast of the warm wood and cooler colors chosen for the tiles is really working here.

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile
Here’s another look (above) shown over at 41zero42 in Italy that I love, it’s a beautiful look in a kitchen/dining space. What I like about this trend is you are defining your own style. Combining the two materials in a single room creates a customized look where you can work your design skills and get a unique look & feel. You decide on the shape, colors and pattern.

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile
Patrycja Domanska

Kitchens and bathrooms are ideal locations to combine hardwood and ceramic flooring because the materials are durable and easy to match to counters and cabinets. And it looks great!

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

Livingetc | Photography Jake Fitzjones

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

And then you have the ‘high traffic’ areas. Hallways and entryways receive traffic that can wear down natural hardwood floors over time. Plus, many times your wipe your (wet) shoes of in this area. It is not just a question of trend but a practical solution for certain areas in your home too.

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

FESTEN arquitecture

This is quite masculine yet it looks great and gives a certain loft feeling in this photo studio in Paris.

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile
Midhill restaurant in Helsinski via Little Helsinki

Micro Trend: Creative Floors Combining Wood and Ceramic Tile

And to finish up, the same manufacturer Paola Navone had chosen called Tabarka Studio has another spectacular and unique look combining tile with wood.

Are you into wood or tiles? And could you see at your home a combo of both? If so, which design did you like here the most? Have a wonderful upcoming Spring time!

(text: gudy herder/editing holly becker, images linked to their sources above)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Sarah Yakawonis March 29, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I love the one from 41zero42 ! Why does saving up for a house take so long, I can’t wait until I own a house and I can do something like this to it!

• Reply Christine March 29, 2014 at 4:39 pm

I’ve been researching similar flooring combinations (more out of necessity than choice), but now I actually love the contrast between the two materials. The examples you chose are pretty amazing, let’s hope we can achieve something similar!

• Reply iHanna March 29, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I love my wood floors, but every time I see stuff like this I wish I didn’t live in a small rental… :-)

• Reply Marie Solveg March 29, 2014 at 6:23 pm

I am totaly wild about the flors:-)

• Reply sula362 March 29, 2014 at 8:23 pm

some of those look super. What I find interesting as well is that today you can get ceramic tiles that look like wood, and cork floors digitally printed to look like wood. Just what is a wood floor these days?

• Reply Nicole Nicol March 30, 2014 at 7:26 am

wow that has blown me that.
    Especially the bathroom one.. great post x

• Reply thejoyofcolor March 30, 2014 at 9:02 am

Love the one with the kitchen the wood tile combo is beautiful

• Reply Kim B. March 30, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I saw this in a restaurant here in Paris a couple of years ago and loved it. These herringbone inserts are quite something!

• Reply 3girls1apple March 30, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Great pics. Love the table in the second pic. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply caroline @trend-daily March 30, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Thanks for another great post Gudy-one day I’d love tiles in our upstairs bathroom ;-) xx

• Reply Rita March 31, 2014 at 1:53 pm

But wood get’s bigger when wet, and stone — don’t.

And it’s looks not so fancy

• Reply Gudy Herder April 1, 2014 at 9:25 am

Hi Rita,
    I guess when any company offers these possibilities they have backed up with sustainable solutions. Here is what I found, hope it helps:

” It depends upon the type of flooring you decide to use. Engineered flooring will have less expansion/contraction than milled lumber, however, at 5″ to 8″ in width you’re not going to get any appreciable wood movement from either type of flooring. “

• Reply mel April 1, 2014 at 11:25 am

Oh I love them both and I really enjoy this micro trend! In our Sydney place we have wood floors that steps into a sunroom with milky blue, grey and white cement tiles it was a great effect but there was a door step between. I wish I tried this continuous style. Another great report Gudy! M x

• Reply Doris April 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Hi Gudy & Holly, what a great post. I really like this trend and I can see it working really well in a large open plan area to help differentiate between multiple zones in both residential and commercial interiors. Thanks for the inspiration. xD

• Reply Tracey April 2, 2014 at 6:16 pm

This is absolutely fabulous! It’s something I haven’t seen before and it’s creative. I love the mix of materials, depth and texture. Love love love!

• Reply Justwood April 16, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Wow!! simply wows.. Cant express how does the white hardwood and ceramic flooring looks like. Amazing. Changed the entire look of the room . Thanks for sharing this amazing post and variety collections of flooring types.

• Reply ramolinne May 29, 2014 at 3:01 pm

j adore

• Reply Lachlan Dobie August 2, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Thanks for sharing your designing ideas.It’s help us in future.

• Reply philipgibilisco September 18, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Really nice floor ideas.
    Thank you for sharing.

• Reply Jeremy Hornett December 6, 2014 at 12:53 am

This is the perfect combination for kitchen flooring. I am drooling over this.
    Kalia Floors