Delicious Bites: Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies Recipe

Ready for a delicious recipes for brownies? Why not, right? Hi everyone, it’s Jillian here with this month’s Delicious Bites post. With Easter just around the corner, my initial thought was to do something chocolately, then my thoughts turned to cheesecake, as they often do. I try to keep my chocolate consumption down to a bare minimum but sometimes nothing else but chocolate will do. Do you feel the same way? With both chocolate and cheesecake on my mind I decided to put the two together and came up with this, a recipe for chocolate cheesecake brownies. These little squares are an absolute favourite with my workmates and when I take them into work for morning tea they disappear in a flash.

brownies5

There’s something about the combination of cheesecake with just set chocolate brownie that’s irresistible. The secret ingredient is the potato flour (starch) which helps keep the brownie mixture moist and squidgy while the cheesecake part is cooking. The swirl is important but you do need to do it gently to keep the 2 mixtures separate. I used the closest thing I had at hand to do this, which in this case was a chop stick.

brownies4

The brownies are very rich so I normally cut them into squares but if you’re brave, then cut them into bars.

Here’s the recipe for you and trust me, you’ll be glad you made them.

Brownie Ingredients:
125g (4 oz) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
185g (6 oz) dark chocolate, chopped
2/3 cup caster sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup potato flour (starch)
1 1/2 (20 ml) tbs cocoa

Cheesecake Ingredients:
250g (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
1 large egg
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Grease and line the base and sides of a 8 inch (20cm) square pan with baking paper or aluminum foil, making sure the paper goes up all four sides. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F (conventional). Sift the flours together with the cocoa into a small bowl. Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl placed over a medium saucepan filled with simmering water, stirring until smooth. You could also do this in the microwave. Remove the bowl from heat and mix in the 2/3 cup sugar, then the eggs. Mix in the flour and cocoa mixture and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the batter becomes smooth and glossy. Spread half the brownie mixture evenly in the prepared pan. In a separate bowl, beat together the cream cheese, the egg, 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla extract until smooth. You could also do this step in a food processor. Dollop the cream cheese alternately with the remaining brownie mixture over the batter in the pan, then take a knife or spatula (or even a chopstick) and gently swirl the cream cheese mixture with the chocolate batter.

brownies8

Bake in the preheated 180°C/350°F oven for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the batter in the centre of the pan is just set. Leave the brownie in the switched off oven with the door slightly ajar for a further 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack, then lift the brownie out of the tin and peel away the foil. Cut the brownies into squares or bars. These will keep in an airtight container for a couple of days. They also freeze well.

brownies6

brownies3

brownies2

Wishing all of you a vert Happy Easter and Passover! I’ll see you all again next month with some more Delicious Bites for you, Bye for now – Jillian

(images/text: jillian lieboff)

Posted by decor8 in Delicious Bites on April 02, 2014

1. SATUSH commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 9:11am

ıt seems very delicious. I have a question.
    1/4 potato flour (starch) cup or tbs?
    Thanks in advance..Best regards

2. Kalyani commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 10:21am

YUMMM!! The photos make me want to leave my desk and rush to the kitchen to try them.
    I don’t use eggs in my cooking though, would you be able to confirm which form of egg substitute works best with the recipe?
    Thanks a lot!

3. Valerie commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 12:28pm

Wow, these look amazing! Definitely giving them a go!

4. Caroline commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 12:44pm

Oooh I made something really similar just the other week, and they were SO tasty! Mine don’t look quite as pretty as yours tho…

xx
    Caroline´s last blog post ..a healthy life – week 12

5. Lucy Chen commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 12:55pm

I’ll substitute butter with magarine, and cream cheese with the soy sheese. And let’s see how it turns out. Something to make this weekend! Thanks for the delicious recipe, Jillian.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..101 Inspirational Art Quotes

6. Polly Rowan commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 1:59pm

WOW these look amazing! Would these work with gluten free flour do you reckon? (I’m coeliac)
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..My eBay Collections

7. Lisa commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 5:03pm

These look amazing
    L x

Lisa´s last blog post ..Orange and Chilli Tuna Steak

8. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 8:51pm

SATUSH,

Hi Satush,

a gremlin got into the recipe I’m afraid. It should read 1/4 cup potato flour/starch.

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..spiced sourdough fruit buns

9. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 8:52pm

Polly Rowan,

Hi Polly,

I think GF flour would work fine. If you’re not allergic to nuts, I think 1/4 cup almond or hazelnut meal instead of flour would be pretty tasty.

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..spiced sourdough fruit buns

10. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 8:53pm

Kalyani,

Hi Kalyani,

I’m no expert here I’m afraid. Maybe another of Holly’s readers could help you out?

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..spiced sourdough fruit buns

11. Mona Kramer commented
    April 2nd, 2014 at 9:45pm

Looks yummy!! Will try a bake off this weekend!!!

12. Polly Rowan commented
    April 3rd, 2014 at 3:35pm

Jillian Leiboff,
    That sounds delicious! I’ll give it a go :)
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..Gym Picks

13. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    April 3rd, 2014 at 7:38pm

These look positively addicting!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..House Wine 2010 Mountain Merlot Review

14. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 3rd, 2014 at 8:50pm

Mona Kramer,

I hope you enjoy them Mona
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..spiced sourdough fruit buns

15. Faiz Alam commented
    April 4th, 2014 at 12:01pm

Favorite of my wife. f@iz@…she love to much all of chocolates flavor cake..
    Faiz Alam´s last blog post ..66FitHoDays To My Favorite Jeans

16. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 4th, 2014 at 10:15pm

Hi Kalyani,

have you seen this site?

I think apple sauce would work fine in the brownies. For the cheesecake part, I think it would set fine without the egg but a teaspoon of cornstarch would probably help.

Caroline – how funny. They’re delicious aren’t they?

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..spiced sourdough fruit buns

17. Maria commented
    April 8th, 2014 at 3:12pm

Made them and loved them! Thanks! :)

18. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 8th, 2014 at 9:49pm

Maria,

So glad you liked them,

J
    Jillian Leiboff´s last blog post ..Passover week – chocolate date and almond cake

19. Rebecca commented
    April 9th, 2014 at 3:38pm

Hi Jillian. These look fabulous! Just wondering, not sure if you’re in the USA or UK, but I’m in the UK am not familiar with potato flour. Is there something else that could be substituted? Cornflour perhaps? Not sure if they do potato flour here? Thanks for any help.

20. Jillian Leiboff commented
    April 15th, 2014 at 7:22pm

Rebecca,

Hi Rebecca,

I live in Sydney and potato flour (starch) is sold in the specialty flour section in the supermarket and also at chinese grocery stores. If you can’t find it, then just leave it out and use 1/2 cup plain flour instead. It will work fine, just not quite as squidgy.

Hope that helps