Home Tours

April 25, 2014

Would you like to tour a Natural Nordic-inspired home that I photographed for you guys this month? Good! It’s Holly Marder with another Home With Heart to show you. This month, I’m taking you on a tour of the home of Wendy, the photographer, stylist and blogger behind beeldSTEILIf you follow Wendy’s blog you’ll know she oozes Scandinavian style, and her promises nothing less than cool, calm, natural Nordic inspired gorgeousness. Step inside and see for yourself!

Natural Nordic Home Tour

Wendy van Woudenberg spent her childhood exploring the mountains and forests of Scandinavia, and has always been fascinated by the mountainous Norwegian landscape. So it’s little wonder that her Soest, Netherlands, home’s interior echoes the Northern way of life and its rugged landscape. In the home she shares with her two children, natural tones, materials and textures combine with tough industrials and graphic elements, resulting in a stylish space that is every bit as serene as it is edgy.

Natural Nordic Home Tour

The living room features a mix of industrial and Scandinavian finds, from vintage to design pieces, while maintaining the natural aesthetic the couple wanted to give the space using wood and natural products that reflect nature. Wendy’s first impression of the room inspired the final design. “It instantly reminded me of a Scandinavian cabin with the wooden ceilings.”

Natural Nordic Home Tour

“I love the minimalism of Scandinavian design,” explains Wendy. “It’s very quiet yet stylish, and so clean. It’s all in the details, and there’s always a story in the designs. But what I most love is the way nature plays such a prominent role in Scandinavian design.”

As many as three to four times a year, the family escape their busy lifestyles to their second home in the Norwegian mountains, where they indulge in photography, hiking, visiting family and exploring some of the larger cities. It is here, in the solitude of nature that Wendy finds true inspiration.

“Nature has always been a big inspiration for me,” she says. “I feel at home in the forest and mountains where I can breathe the fresh air.” Part of what inspires Wendy most about the nature are the vastly changing seasons, particularly the winter with its snow and ice. It’s no doubt that the colour scheme in her home is reminiscent of the changing colours of the seasons.

Natural Nordic Home Tour

The family’s dining room is situated in an extension built by the previous owners. The tired wooden floor that was there when the house was purchased was replaced with concrete look tiles. During the winter months, a rug is added to the space to add coziness and warmth underfoot. “I wanted to bring a Scandinavian atmosphere to this room, with the wooden ceiling and concrete tiles on the floor,” Wendy says. Piet Hein Eek scrapwood wallpaper makes a striking statement behind an existing built-in cabinet, which was painted white along with the rest of the space.

Natural Nordic Home Tour

The house has three bedrooms upstairs, all with grey marmoleum floors and fresh painted white walls. “The bedrooms are quite small because they all have slanted ceilings, but they are very cozy,” says Wendy. The master bedroom features a self designed bed that Wendy had custom made out of steel pipes from a local metal farm.

Wendy snapped up her 1930s home in 2011. “I had to sift through a lot to see the underlying beauty of the home,” Wendy says. “But the house had a few lovely details, which reminded me of the Scandinavian way of building, such as high ceilings with exposed wooden beams, plenty of wood and bright natural light, and of course the shed in the backyard.”

Creating a home that reflected her laid back, nature inspired style started with a lot of white paint. “We painted all summer long after we purchased it, until everything was white,” Wendy says. A visually larger and brighter interior ensued. In the living room, more emphasis was placed on the exposed wooden beams and leaded glass panels on the original doors, which were Wendy’s favourite features. The room’s oak floors were originally coated in varnish which had yellowed severely with age. In contrast to the bare white walls, and to tie-in with the industrial references seen throughout their home, The floors were given a coating of  ‘concrete grey’ paint. The kitchen and bathroom also got an update  to reflect her clean, fuss-free sense of style.

Natural Nordic Home Tour

Wendy’s son Mees (12) is as inspired by nature as his mother, and his room is testament to this. In his bedroom, which he prefers to be sparse and minimalistic, he displays some of his favourite animals and nature inspired artwork. His desk, which was a gift from his parents after starting his first year of primary school, is a personal favourite item.

Natural Nordic Home Tour

Wendy’s creative studio for blogging, styling and photography for her blog beeldSTEIL is situated in a sizable garden shed. “It was on my wish list just to have a little cabin in the garden,” says Wendy. “This one is bigger than the one in my dreams! It was a huge selling point.” Originally bright yellow with green window frames, the studio underwent a makeover in 2012, when the entire interior was painted white, the roof was replaced and heating installed. Last summer, plywood floors were installed along with a gas fireplace and an Ikea kitchenette.

Above all, home for this nature-loving family represents a safe haven to unwind at the end of a busy day, a calm environment that promotes relaxation and creativity.

“I do like my home to be stylish, but it has to be liveable too, a place where everybody feels comfortable, where it’s quiet and calm, white and bright,” says Wendy.

So what do you love about Wendy’s home? I hope you enjoyed this tour, and I look forward to seeing you back here next month! Holly

(images/text: holly marder)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Katy at Apartment Apothecary April 25, 2014 at 7:08 pm

This is all completely gorgeous. Love the colours, simplicity s d personal touches. Also, totally jealous of the garden ‘shed’!

• Reply Sandra April 25, 2014 at 7:58 pm

Stylish and livable – those are the ideal but so rarely achieved like in this home. This feels like a home that I could live in.

The photos are lovely and the text works to create a feeling like I’m right there. It also whets my appetite even more for a summer place like the one mentioned! We had a cottage once and I’d love to have one again.

• Reply Eva Maria April 25, 2014 at 8:40 pm

What a wonderful home…

• Reply Claudia April 26, 2014 at 3:28 am

Holly, such a lovely home you posted here. I love how the living room is so spacious but still cosy and how the colors come back in every room in the house.

• Reply leaca April 26, 2014 at 9:24 am

lovely….all of it.

• Reply Mecki von fein & raum April 26, 2014 at 12:04 pm

what a lovely home!
    and the plastic-chair from eames in this special color is very very nice!

• Reply Lucy Chen April 26, 2014 at 1:12 pm

Oh love how she organises her stationery on the wall! Really clever and neat!

• Reply The Daydreamer April 26, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Essential styling yet very cozy and welcoming – what an inspiring combination.

• Reply Mary Jo Hoffman April 26, 2014 at 3:15 pm

I love Wendy’s aesthetic! I have been a huge fan for a while. Her instagram feed is wonderfully inspiring too!

I loved seeing behind the scenes like this. Thanks Holly!

Mary Jo

• Reply fiona duke April 26, 2014 at 5:07 pm

what a gorgeous home. totally love the bed which looks as if it’s made from scaffolding type bits ? also love the way in her son’s room how the picture is just put up with tape. looks so relaxed :)

• Reply Mimi April 26, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Love the bold black graphic s against the white. I also like the dark back splash in the kitchen. What’s it made of?

• Reply Jackie April 26, 2014 at 11:33 pm

Looks great!

• Reply Colleen April 27, 2014 at 8:57 pm

I just love those wood beam ceilings!

• Reply Maggie April 28, 2014 at 6:17 am

Love everything about it! Especially the colors, or lack of. The black and white everywhere just works.

• Reply Heather April 28, 2014 at 11:30 am

Oh my goodness – this is one of the loveliest home tours that I’ve seen for quite some time – what a beauty.

I simply love the clean, nordic influences.

Can I ask where you sourced the light in the dining room please? It is stunning.

Thanks again for posting this one. Just lovely.

• Reply Meinhilde April 29, 2014 at 12:02 am

I love Scandinavian decor, so stark but pretty, and this house is such a great example! The bed and desk are gorgeous.

• Reply Orla Trappe April 29, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Beautiful home. Just wondering if you could let me know the source of the stove with the glass panels at the sides?

• Reply Margaret April 30, 2014 at 5:16 am

I love this home. This lovely home has tons of wonderful home decor . The result is absolutely amazing!
    Thank you for inspiration.

• Reply Wendy Schultz May 7, 2014 at 1:14 pm

A garden shed for working sounds Heavenly! There is not a good place to escape in our house currently. I’m in love with the paneling on the ceiling. I just did a blog post on using paneling to create a cottage style. I love it so!

• Reply iris | C-More May 9, 2014 at 11:56 am

Wow I love Wendy’s home !!! Very much my style too. Only I can’t keep it that organized ;-) Many greetings to Wendy and to you Holly!

• Reply Anke May 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm

What a beautiful home. And I agree with Wendy´s son: his desk is very nice.

• Reply Clairie May 16, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Scandinavian style means for me large open spaces, warm tones of woods and the symbols of nature everywhere around… This is something I totally fell in love with when I read about it for the first time here. I was expecting that these kinds of interiors just couldn’t be so perfect and liveable at the same time but as I’m googling more and more I see that I wasn’t right… This seems like a perfect style in which I will hopefully makeover my flat by adding one piece to another. By the way, I would really like to know what’s written on the graphic artwork which starts with “Don’t let anyone else…”, thank you :)

• Reply Tonje October 24, 2014 at 2:32 pm

Where is the lovely workdesk with drawers from?