Decorating With Roses: On My Wall

Would you like to see a simple floral project that came from discarded roses? Yesterday I was with my baby, mom and husband in the gorgeous Herrenhausen Garden and I came across a most beautiful site that everyone else seemed to walk right by… A massive pile of rose heads that had been trimmed from the Rosengarten and were getting ready to be discarded. The pile was massive, see?

roses8
My husband was sweet enough to venture in to fetch some of the best heads for me. Here are the fruits of his labor here in my hands…

rose7

I decided to take them home, so I tucked about ten of them away from the sun into my cooler bag and, despite knowing we wouldn’t be home for hours, I thought I’d risk it anyway and hope for the best. By the time we arrived back home, they were slightly wilted so we placed them in the fridge in a bowl (without water). Here is what they looked like this morning – plump, perky and lovely! And they smell divine…

rose6

Because they lack stems, and I wanted to decorate with them, I thought to simply tie neon yellow string to them and tape each onto my dining room wall with some Liberty washi tape that I bought at Merci in Paris. They can dry this way but be decorative too.

rose1

rose4

rose2

rose5

rose3

It’s always so amazing to me how little things make a big impact – even flower heads found alongside of a rose garden (meant for the trash!) can be a thing of beauty. It’s important to look at everything a little differently, to see the potential in all things, don’t you agree?

(images: third: thorsten becker, all others: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, Flowers on June 04, 2014

1. jook commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 7:53pm

What a lovely idea! Greetz from Holland, Jook

2. Alexandra commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 8:53pm

There’s treasure everywhere, you just have to see it. And once again – Holly does see it. What a beautiful idea.
    Love
    Alexandra
    Alexandra´s last blog post ..Blühende Baustelle – Blooming construction site

3. Sarah commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 9:40pm

I love the vibrant pink of the roses siting against the white wall, with just a hint of neon yellow!
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Red And White Carnations

4. Hajir Al commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 11:07pm

Omg this is so beautiful! <3 roses are perfect srsly, and the final project is so amazing .loved how just a small touch made a huge difference! thank you alot dear for sharing <3!^_^

5. Zandra Zuraw commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 11:29pm

Holly,
    I love that you found a way to take something that wasn’t meant for decor and turned it into a beautiful piece of wall art! (Also, thanks for the tip about putting the wilted flowers in the fridge…didn’t know about that one!)
    Zandra Zuraw´s last blog post ..DIY: Nail Polish Bangles

6. Shalagh Hogan commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 11:42pm

And that is why you are the master of the decorating with flowers obvious. And that your husband would fetch them for you gets extra points. So sweet and perfectly simply necessary.
    Love to you,
    Shalagh
    Shalagh Hogan´s last blog post ..The New Puppy, I Mean Baby, Was Your Idea

7. Anna commented
    June 4th, 2014 at 11:42pm

So pretty!

8. merilyn commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 12:43am

just gorgeous holly and ofcourse thorston! love it! m:)X

9. Chantele commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 12:57am

Pretty and so creative!

Chantele´s last blog post ..Bay Magazine 5th Birthday & a Lindy Bop Dress

10. Kati commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 2:32am

What an inspiring post. It is always easily said to look for and enjoy the small things in life but you actually did it and came up with such a cool idea.

Kati´s last blog post ..Perfect Couple // Decor & Food

11. Michelle - Jarrah Jungle commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 6:55am

They look so pretty, cant believe they were being thrown out :)
    I didnt know about the fridge trick will have to try that next time!
    Michelle – Jarrah Jungle´s last blog post ..Before and After: Window Frames With Dulux Paint

12. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 7:03am

Oh how absolutely lovely!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..For the beauty…

13. Sandra commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 8:51am

Good morning!

This is so awesome.
    I didn’t know the trick with the fridge. How long did you let them in the fridge?

Best wishes from Braunschweig to Hannover :-)
    Sandra
    Sandra´s last blog post ..Rosige Zeiten – Hilfe, ich bin rosenverrückt!

14. Marie Solveg commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 12:27pm

I love your ideá to take care of the roses.
    Lovely husband, to think good for you.

Have a nice day.
    Marie
    Marie Solveg´s last blog post ..En uglet familie..

15. Tanya commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 2:01pm

Hi Holly,
    Looks fab…indeed it does inspire one to see beauty even in (almost) decay! love it, looks very pretty x
    ALso, any heads up on when you’re going to London…for book launch?
    Hope your having a fab special time with your Mam around – so nice, enjoy every minute
    Tanya x

16. Janelle@awhitefarm commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 2:27pm

SO pretty!! And I love that beautiful heap of rose heads on the ground…I bet it smelled divine!!! :)
    Janelle@awhitefarm´s last blog post ..Lately…….

17. Sabbie Narwal commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 6:51pm

Absolutely agree! These look so, so lovely. And it’s great that they’ll dry nicely there too. What a fun, lucky find!
    —Sabbie
    Sabbie Narwal´s last blog post ..Great Escapism

18. decor8 commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 7:10pm

@Tanya – Yes the date is set for SEPTEMBER 17 at Anthropologie on KINGS ROAD! :) YEAH!!!

19. Mariz commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 7:11pm

Amazing, i love flowers <3
    Mariz´s last blog post ..30 Modelos de Frentes de Casas

20. Emma Harris commented
    June 5th, 2014 at 10:55pm

What a brilliant inspirational idea, they look beautiful on the wall!

21. Clever Girl Reviews commented
    June 6th, 2014 at 7:43am

I love that little display, I might do the same thing with Peonies!
    Clever Girl Reviews´s last blog post ..CGR Interviews HGTV’s Jonathan Scott

22. Lucy Chen commented
    June 6th, 2014 at 1:08pm

Love this little project! You really have an eye for beauty in the simplest things, Holly. This can work with not only roses, but many other flowers, right?
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..My First Landscape Painting – Painting Our Neighborhood

23. decor8 commented
    June 6th, 2014 at 8:42pm

@Lucy – Yes definitely!

24. Olivia commented
    June 7th, 2014 at 4:32pm

Wow, I love little things like this! Treasures always pop up in the funniest places, don’t you think? Beautiful post, beautiful photos. You’re blog is so inspiring! thanks for brightening my day :)
    Olivia´s last blog post ..who to follow

25. L'atelier Azimute commented
    June 9th, 2014 at 4:55pm

Wow, I love the Idea ! I hope you don’t mind, I shared it on my blog (with a link to yours). It didn”t color the walls ? How long did they last without water ?
    L’atelier Azimute´s last blog post ..Motifs #Cubes

26. decor8 commented
    June 9th, 2014 at 5:29pm

@L’atelier – they lasted one day – then I put them in a dish of water to float on my table. No, they didn’t color the walls.

27. Decorators Best commented
    June 10th, 2014 at 4:35pm

Loving that you used real flowers! If only they could last longer. Sigh.

28. Hannah commented
    June 16th, 2014 at 4:12pm

How unexpected and lovely! Thank you for sharing, Holly :)
    Hannah´s last blog post ..DIY embroidered word art

29. L'atelier Azimute commented