Decorating With Delphiniums

Today at the farmers’ market I couldn’t resist the Delphiniums! I just love their elegant stature and particularly the ones in astounding blue and violet tones! I also enjoy them in white with crisp, black centers. I scooped up 3 stems for €5 (steal!) and as I walked home I kept thinking of where to put them and which containers to use. I knew that I didn’t want them all together in one clump nor did I want to hide their stems in vases that were opaque, so when I got home I opened my gardening + containers cabinet and selected some clear, glass vases, one with a greenish tint to complement the flower stems. I unwrapped my flowers in our formal dining room and did a quick walk-through around the house to see where I best imagine placing my new finds. Would I display them in one space or in different areas?

decor8_2

hollybeckerdecor81
hollydecor82

del1

I decided to place them together on the table in our second eating area, which was formerly a very dark and boring hallway that I turned into an eating nook since it’s directly off of our kitchen. It has new flooring (hardwood), the walls were resurfaced (old wallpaper stripped away) and was painted crisp white. This space (below) still needs work (like art work and the rug needs to be pulled away from the wall, also I will have a simple radiator cover made so I can remove the leaning mirror, etc. etc. etc. BUT for now this space was the chosen area for my delphinums. It needed color and life! I decided to go with 5 arrangements and used little scrappy spares in a porcelain Rosenthal vase and others in a simple brandy glass and grouped the larger ones in big vessels across the tabletop. I am very pleased with the results. I walk through this area constantly to Aidan’s nursery, so seeing these gorgeous blooms will definitely perk up my travels back and forth. Quite a statement maker, too – aren’t they!? Love it!

dining3

hollydining3

deee

flowers1

Note: I mixed in a few spare godetia flowers (they look just like paper!) with the delphiniums because I wanted the arrangement to be quirky and imperfect, which I achieved. Decorating with delphiniums really made this area look great. Now I’m motivated more than ever to really decorate this hallway space and show you how it looks when I finish in the next month or so… Wish me luck!

But seriously, see how easily you can transform a space with flowers that cost so very little yet add such a massive impact?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, Flowers on June 18, 2014

1. Sabbie Narwal commented
    June 18th, 2014 at 8:36pm

What vibrant flowers! I love the look of bright florals in a white, airy space, just like yours. So, so lovely! And can I just say, your hallway is perfection! (I’m a big fan of hallways :P )
    Sabbie Narwal´s last blog post ..Great Escapism

2. Jess commented
    June 18th, 2014 at 10:49pm

Hi Holly I just love your white formal dining table, where is it from?
    Where could I source a piece of laminate/plywood similar?
    Also, are the legs ikea? I went to look at these legs as I had done some research online and found they ticked all the boxes. When I went to see them I was worried they were too flimsy and the table would be too low. If yours are the ikea legs, do you find either of these concerns?
    Thanks,
    Jess

3. Ema commented
    June 18th, 2014 at 11:01pm

Da hätte ich auch nicht wiederstehen können! Und wunderschön in Szene gesetzt. Und auch sehr schön die asiatische Zeitung in der du sie sicher nach Hause gebracht hast. :)

Liebe Grüße,

-Ema-
    Ema´s last blog post ..Wochenmuster

4. Melissa commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 5:44am

These are so beautiful; I love how you decorate with flowers. Feeling inspired to go to my local farmer’s market!
    Melissa´s last blog post ..Are You Re-starting? 8 Things You Must Think About

5. decor8 commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 6:18am

@Jess – The table is from HAY in Denmark, it’s called the LOOP STAND TABLE. (http://hayshop.dk/products/98-dining-tables/22-loop-stand-table/)
    The tabletop is White laminate with plywood edge, the legs are powder coated steel. The size is 250 x W:92,5 x H:74 cm. I paid $1,100 for this table.

6. Lucy Chen commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 9:17am

Thank you for the inspiration, Holly. I have quite some camellia blossoms outside right now, maybe I should do something with that :)
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..My First Landscape Painting – Painting Our Neighborhood

7. Claudia commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 1:39pm

Hi Holly, my Godmother recently introduced me to your wonderful blog. I just love it, so thank you. We are expecting in a couple of months time and I would love to take some beautiful photos of our little person and was wondering what camera you use and also what programs you use (if any) to adjust the photos? Thanks so much, Claudia (Australia)

8. decor8 commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 2:01pm

@Claudia – I use a Canon 5D Mark III and I use Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing.

9. Laura commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 5:12pm

SO GORGEOUS!! I can’t wait for my delphiniums to bloom. In fact, now I think I’ll plant more.

Right now I’m enamored of hosta leaves. You can see them with the peonies in my latest post. They come in all colors, some look hand-painted. My current faves are the huge lime-colored Sum and Substance leaves. They look big enough to wrap a present in!

Thanks for the inspiration!

10. Sarah commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 6:13pm

Hi Holly! Those purple delphiniums are striking, however I have fallen in love with the center vase, with the white delphiniums. I would love to know were you got it?
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Red And White Carnations

11. decor8 commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 6:39pm

@Sarah – From House Doctor!

12. Debra commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 9:11pm

Having fresh flowers in the house is wonderful. Your delphinium arrangement is casual yet elegant. I love it.
    Debra´s last blog post ..Quick And Easy Marshmallow And Gum Drop Flower Cake Decoration!

13. Patricia Shea commented
    June 19th, 2014 at 10:16pm

Delphiniums are so beautiful – I can’t wait until mine are out, I have some perfect sky blue ones that always take my breath away! Love your dramatic display with them!
    Patricia Shea´s last blog post ..Rhubarb and Custard Tart with Cream Cheese topping – yes please!!

14. Jess commented
    June 20th, 2014 at 6:06am

decor8,
    Thanks holly!

15. Chris commented
    June 22nd, 2014 at 10:03am

Lovely flowers. Really add contrast to the white room. Thanks.
    Chris´s last blog post ..Penang interior designer: Three questions to ask before hiring one