Micro Trend: Pineapples

Hello friends and happy Saturday to you all! My lovely columnist and dear friend Gudy Herder will no longer cover trends on decor8 since she’s decided to take a leave from traveling to trend shows as regularly, so I’ve decided to go back to producing my random trend posts based on what I see online and during my travels locally. I will miss Gudy but I’m sure she’ll come back and visit us again soon. So let’s talk about a trendy little motif that you’ll see dotted about in the fashion and interiors world right now, particularly in parts of the world where it’s summer. PINEAPPLES! 3aa9a744c9473bbd15d20e251e6e2307 pineappletrenddecor8

Pineapple feet print (bottom left) by Kim Fearheiley.

You either love ‘em or hate ‘em. In celebration of this trend, I had a virgin piña colada for lunch with my girlfriend yesterday which helped reiterate the fact that I’m a pineapple fan to the core. As a motif and food! I believe its popularity and whether YOU like it or not has to do with where you live. Like if you’re in the middle of Ohio this motif may not speak to you as much as if you live in Miami or LA. I grew up on the South Carolina seacoast so I can totally imagine working pineapples into our family home back in the day or running around with a pineapple clutch under my arm. But in northern Germany, not so much. For me to hop on this trend, I’d have to work it in subtlety at home or include it in a summer party theme. I remember as a kid we always had a golden pineapple on our bookcase. It symbolized hospitality. And of course, one on our doormat. Maybe that was just a southern thing growing up in South Carolina. I remember seeing pineapples more commonly there, especially as brass door knockers. So tell me, where are you based, would a pineapple motif fit your world? Or would it feel out of place? So, let’s look at some fun pineapple-y things that I found online that may inspire you. I personally LOVE seeing all of the yellow and citrus hues – it makes me happy!

pineapplelove

Pineapple Love print from Hard to Find.

05final_5651

DIY pineapple ring dish by Jade and Fern.

2a2c491556059334b1d4a96a02055432

via helado de nata

Prairies-de-Paris-02-604x905.jpg.pagespeed.ce.I--chXbcqV

Pineapple t-shirt from The Working Girl.

weheartit

Pineapple pattern from we heart it.

hyggewest

Pineapple wallpaper designed by Rifle Paper for Hygge & West.

1_Gold_Pineapple_Decals

Gold pineapple wall decals by Empire Lane.

pinepin

DIY Pineapple piñata by Studio DIY.

pineapplepillows Pineapple throw pillow by Eloise Roberts, throw pillow by Sibylline, throw pillow by Jacqueline Maldonado, pillow by Grace, solo pineapple by ez pudewa, pillow by marta li, fresh pineapple by penelope prince, fruit pineapple by Madelyn Bilsborough.

Astrobrights6

Pineapple straws DIY from Sugar and Charm.

pineappleprints

Pineapple art print by ez pudewa, print by Grace, tribal pineapple print by sunkissed laughter, The Gilded Pineapple by Amy Lowry.

Screen Shot 2014-07-19 at 1.48.08 PM

Free printable gift wrap at  Whimsy Box.

pineappledecor

Mint green resin pineapple, white pineapple lamp from Horchow, pineapple accent lamps from Horchow, Pineapple poster from French Blossom.

il_570xN.580967890_j9ml

Print from Letters on Love on Etsy.

iphonepineapples

iPhone cases by Field Trip: pink blushmint, blue, black.

pineapplestuff Girl’s t-shirt from JCrew,  Labdip skinny jeans at Anthropologie in pineapple print, Pineapple still life tee at Anthropologie, Anthro pineapple print pillow, pineapple-y paradise cove tablecloth, pineapple tights for kids by Strathcona.

Pineapples2

A more grown up take on this trend is the Pineapple print by Kara Rosenlund.

PineappleKitchen_zpsd82c3c44

Pineapple cookie jar as seen on the Hunted Interior.

fd1f4d2c162da9dc75f60d51b065bc3d

Great art in the home and one with a pineapple! Fun! As seen on room gallery.

So what do ya think? Are you in love or not? Psst: Looking for pineapple print fabrics? Visit spoonflower here. Or are you feeling hungry after seeing these lovely prints? Try this pineapple skinny smoothie…

Have a lovely weekend everyone, see you next week!

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in trends on July 19, 2014

1. Denise Beckand commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 3:17pm

Can’t get enough, LOVE the pineapple!!
    Denise Beckand´s last blog post ..Een kleurrijke dag

2. Andrea Hurley commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 3:37pm

I love that print by Kim Fearheiley! It’s one of my new favorite pineapple pieces. I think I may have to add that to my kitchen decor :)

3. Toni commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 3:43pm

I love the pineapple trend, think they look really bright & fresh. Adore the pineapple decals! x
    Toni´s last blog post ..Broken Age: Act One

4. Yuko Jones | northfield gate commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 4:35pm

I always dated someone who loves pineapples and of course, that’s my husband’s favorite fruit. So I definitely have a thing for pineapples. Love the black + white print, pineapple center pieces, and wallpapers. Would love to incorporate more pineapples in our home :)
    Yuko Jones | northfield gate´s last blog post ..Lately

5. Emma F.W commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 4:38pm

Here in Sweden we have these retro pineapple made by Guldkroken.
    They are so beautiful and come in different colors.

6. Maike commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 4:53pm

I love pinacolade but pineapple in any other way is a no go for me. Living in the netherlands I could walk with a patatoo on my shirt as a statement … :-)
    Maike´s last blog post ..Slaap Kindje Slaap

7. Emma commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 5:02pm

I’m loving the pineapple trend even though I’m in rainy Scotland! In fact I wore my pineapple patterned jacket today.
    Emma´s last blog post ..The Willow Tearoom

8. julia I mintlaetta commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 5:18pm

love it definitely too ! and such a great selection – love especially the prints and the ring dish – all the best julia

9. Christina / KreaVilla commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 9:12pm

I’m definately in!
    I recently wrote a post about pineapples on by blog and also made a free printable pineapple poster. ;-)

They looks so beautiful.

10. Andrea @barnwoodandbluegrass commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 9:14pm

Being from Kentucky, USA we love pineapples! They are always on trend, here! Thanks for sharing! Love all of the beautiful patterns and a piña colada, is always a good idea! :)
    Andrea

11. Judy H. commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 10:02pm

The pineapples are darling, but I could see where a trend like this could get WAY out of control, really fast~

12. Amy commented
    July 19th, 2014 at 11:17pm

Loved seeing this gorgeous round-up in my feed Holly. We have some great pineapple prints and other tropical prints in our online store. They’d make a great addition! http://www.everythingbegins.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pineapple+art+print

13. Amy (Field Trip) commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 1:30am

Thanks so much for including my cases and print! I wasn’t into pineapples (life here in the Pacific Northwest is usually anything but tropical) but then summer hit and they grew on me big time. I really want that cookie jar!!

14. Elizabeth Mcclean commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 3:45pm

Go the pineapple!

15. Marlene @ Jade and Fern commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 4:27pm

Sweet, thank you for including my pineapple ring dishes on this awesome post! I’m clearly on board with the pineapple trend. It’s funny you mentioned Germany and South Carolina–I don’t remember seeing many pineapples when we lived in North Carolina when I was little, but there were quite a few in older architecture in Leipzig while I lived there and that’s where I learned about them representing hospitality. I think it’s such a sweet tradition that I now keep a vintage brass pineapple sconce by our front entry.

Also, those Anthropologie pineapple jeans are amazing. Need.

16. Laurl commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 4:40pm

Pineapples sell SOOO well in my Etsy shop! Brass pineapples, glass pineapples, pineapple bookends- are all hot on etsy! One of my brass pineapples was even published in German Cosmo this January! I love pineapples- they say welcome and they are great for you! Thanks for featuring them.

17. Christiana commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 5:36pm

Thanks so much for including our wallpaper in your fab round up, Holly! I’m mad for pineapples and have them in my bathroom. And now I want that tee and cookie jar! They do seem to be very on trend, but definitely also a classic :)

18. laura commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 7:13pm

Oh yes, I have noticed pineapples are appearing often at the moment, some great examples here. They seem to be taking over from watermelons!

19. laura commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 7:13pm

20. laura commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 7:13pm

21. laura commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 7:13pm

22. Ez commented
    July 20th, 2014 at 8:12pm

Thank you so much for including both my pineapple pillow and pineapple print amongst so many great pineapple finds Holly! xo
    Ez´s last blog post ..Summer Print Sale – 25% Off Everything

23. Kim B. commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 6:50am

Well you certainly opened my eyes — yesterday walking around here (Paris), I saw several pineapples, including on a pair of chunky-soled white sneakers! I wouldn’t have noticed them except for this post.

I liked your insight about them feeling “right” to you since you grew up in SC.

Fun!

24. Kim B. commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 6:52am

P.s where is the very top image from? Love those.

25. Polly Rowan commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 11:51am

I love this trend! It’s so Summery and fun! I love the pineapple tshirt from Hush as well.
    We’re having a Hawaiian themed party on holiday in the South of France in a few weeks and I’m looking forward to incorporating pineapple themed drinks, food, games and decor!
    Polly Rowan´s last blog post ..IBIZA

26. anastasia commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 1:56pm

Im loving this ‘Club Tropicanna’ trend…gorgeous!
    anastasia´s last blog post ..Shibori techniques on paper….

27. LisaS commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 3:37pm

Love the pineapple trend and love that photo by Kim Fearheiley!
    LisaS´s last blog post ..Etsy Love: Winter Knits

28. Amber commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 7:10pm

Pineapples really are all the rage! We featured an article about Pineapples (bit.ly/1mwKGTo) back in June. While it took me awhile to (partially) jump on the bandwagon, eventually I got there!

29. Michelle commented
    July 21st, 2014 at 8:47pm

I think the pineapple trend has taken off as an international symbol of mourning over the loss of the tv show, Psych! Just teasing, but I really am enjoying all the pineapple, it is so cheerful and bright. It is a symbol of warmth and welcome here in the US, too.

30. Kim commented
    July 22nd, 2014 at 2:09am

I always find it so interesting how trends get started! I looked up a month or so ago and started seeing pineapples everywhere. Do they get started by fashion or other designers. Is it something as simple as a celebrity that wears a pineapple tee that’s gets the trend started. I love the pineapples though but I try not to hop on every bandwagon!
    Kim´s last blog post ..Happy Birthday Maggie Holmes…

31. Amanda Rose Zampelli commented
    July 22nd, 2014 at 2:19pm

Pineapples are SO having a moment! I blogged about ti the other day too: http://amandaroseblog.typepad.com/my_blog/2014/07/pineapples-are-having-a-moment.html

32. oneradinatstar2b commented
    July 23rd, 2014 at 9:20pm

Where I come from, pinneapples have always been in style–I do believe it’s a Southern thing! I’ve had a beautiful mahagany bed with pinneapple finnials since I was 13, and this post just may inspire me to add a few more pinneapples to my life!

33. Tanis S commented
    July 25th, 2014 at 12:17am

Being from Canada, I can’t say I’ve noticed a pineapple trend in decor, and it seems that it would be a little out of place here. I do like to have a pineapple in the middle of my fruit bowl when I’m entertaining though!

34. canne commented
    October 10th, 2014 at 7:08pm

Symbol of hospitality hence the brass doorknockers in a pineapple design