Recipes

Red Cabbage Smoothie Recipe

July 21, 2014

Are you guys brave foodies? Me, not so much. But sometimes I have my moments. Hello everyone, this is Jewels again from Liz & Jewels with another episode for Food in Motion. Here in New York, I see people on the streets all the time with smoothies in unexpected colors – mostly green. So they must be putting things in there that go beyond berries and bananas. Word on the healthy street is that it’s kale and spinach. I did not grow up putting vegetable in my smoothie, but I am willing to give it a try!

Red Cabbage Smoothie Recipe

So for this culinary experiment I’ve mixed red cabbage, cucumber, pear, pear juice, mint, and for optional seasoning I’ve added lime. As I was making this I kept thinking, “This will NOT be good. Colorful. Photogenic. YES. But not good (to taste). Why am I doing this.” I had a childish “gross-face” on when I finally tried it. But luckily my narrow-minded taste buds were happily surprised because this smoothie actually tastes AMAZING. I promise you: it is sweet, refreshing, minty – basically everything you expect from a smoothie!

This time I was having a little fun making the video by trying out stop motion for the very first time! Yay! Another first!!

Red Cabbage Smoothie Recipe

And for those who still need a recipe after watching, here we go:

A large handful of chopped up red cabbage
1/3 of a cucumber, sliced
1/2 a pear, sliced
1 cup of pear juice
a few mint leaves
lime for decoration
ice cubes

Throw everything in the mixer. Add some ice cubes. Be creative with the decoration. Enjoy! – Julia

(Video and text: Julia Cawley)

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Rebecca @ Hello Creative Blog July 21, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I admit, I’d probably have the same look on my face trying this, but it is very pretty!! :) I’ve been wanting to make some different (healthy) smoothies – so I’ll save this to try! Thanks!

• Reply Yuko Jones | northfield gate July 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I was watching Curious George (tv show) the other day (i have two little boys), and in the show, George was adding cabbage and other vegetables in to mix his own juice. I must try this with the boys – they will be thrilled! And I grew up those “green” smoothies or juice, so I’m sure I’ll love the taste! Thank you for sharing the fun recipe! xx

• Reply Parth July 21, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Ahaa Nice recipee
    I tried though it didnt occured well

• Reply Daniela July 21, 2014 at 9:30 pm

Love the video!

I was surprised with the taste of cabbage, too – but now I put it into my smoothie when I feel like “extra healthy”! ;-)

Greetings from Germany

Daniela

• Reply Emily July 21, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Ooh, I’d never have thought of this combination but it looks so delicious! I love the video too!

xx

• Reply Sylvie July 21, 2014 at 11:20 pm

I will definitely try it! Love the video and music!!

• Reply Madelein - mother to six wonderful kids July 22, 2014 at 7:47 am

Absolutely fantastic colours! :-)

• Reply Aga @ Passion shake July 22, 2014 at 10:01 am

I don’t know if I’m brave enough for this smoothie but I absolutely love the colors and the video. Amazing ;)

• Reply JP July 23, 2014 at 10:41 pm

Love the video – what tools/software did you use to make it? We’ve been wanting to do stop-motion with the kids and haven’t found a good setup yet.

• Reply sue|theviewfromgreatisland January 14, 2015 at 1:36 am

Wow — I’m one of the few out there who actually likes red cabbage, so this is a win win for me!