Petal Cupcakes Recipe

August 5, 2014

Ready to bake some cupcakes with me? Hi everyone this is Jillian with some pretty cupcakes for you to make on Delicious Bites for August. Although I bake regularly, I’m not much of a cake decorator so I turned to the internet for some inspiration. I found lots of pretty images and decided to decorate my cupcakes with petal decorations made from coloured marshmallows. The base is a classic vanilla butter cake recipe and I decided to include some plain flour in the mix to prevent the cakes from peaking too much.The icing is my all time favourite cream cheese icing (frosting) which I whipped for 5 minutes until it was very light and fluffy. I refrigerated the icing for about 20 minutes until it was firm enough to pipe.

Petal Cupcakes Recipe

I topped each cake with a rosette of the icing then decorated the cakes with a chocolate button and 4 marshmallow petals. The petals are easily made by snipping a marshmallow horizontally and like magic, the marshmallow forms the shape of a petal. You can let your imagination run wild while decorating the cupcakes. I tried out a few designs and combinations using different coloured marshmallows and different coloured chocolate buttons but decided I liked a single colour petal topped with the same coloured chocolate button grouped together en masse. Here’s the recipe and instructions for you.

Petal Cupcakes Recipe

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sifted icing sugar
1 tablespoons milk
24 coloured marshmallows
Coloured chocolate buttons or Smarties

Petal Cupcakes Recipe

Line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake liners. Preheat a conventional oven to 180C/350F. Sift the self raising flour and the plain flour together into a small bowl and set to one side. In a large bowl cream the butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract until light and creamy. Gradually mix in the beaten egg, adding a tablespoon or so of flour if the mixture starts to curdle. Add the remaining flour and sufficient milk to form a soft cake batter. Spoon tablespoons of the cake batter into the cupcake liners. Bake the cupcakes at 180C/350F for 20-30 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden and cooked when tested with a fine skewer. Allow the cupcakes to cool a little before removing to a wire cake rack. When completely cool decorate or store undecorated in an airtight container. To make the icing, cream the butter, cream cheese and the vanilla extract together in a small bowl until the mixture becomes light and fluffy. Mix in the icing sugar and sufficient milk to make a soft icing. Whip for 5 minutes until the icing becomes very pale and refrigerate until the mixture is firm enough to pipe.

Petal Cupcakes Recipe

To decorate, pipe a swirl of cream cheese icing over the top of one of the cupcakes. Cut 2 marshmallows in half horizontally. Pinch the ends to make petals. Place a chocolate button in the centre of the icing, then arrange 4 of the marshmallow petals on top. Put the cupcake to one side and decorate the remaining cupcakes. Set the cupcakes to one side to set before serving.

Petal Cupcakes Recipe

Today is my final Delicious Bites column for decor8. I’ve been contributing to decor8 for 5 years now, initially contributing with photos to Holly’s blog posts (since 2009) then with my own column shooting shops for the Shopgirl Visits (May 2012 – December 2012) before turning to writing about my great love, food, in February 2013 and wrapping up the column here today. So after all these years on decor8 I will miss you all. I’ll still be baking and photographing for my own blog though, so please drop by to see what I’m up to. Wishing you all the best, Jillian.

(images/text: Jillian Leifboff)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Yuko Jones | northfield gate August 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

I love those cupcakes – so cute! I will be making those with my boys this weekend. I’m sad to see you go, but I’ll be following along on your journey through your blog! xx

• Reply Sabrina von today is August 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm

looks so tasty <3

• Reply Véronique (BereniceBig! Blog) August 5, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Miam miam !

• Reply Brandi August 5, 2014 at 10:52 pm

This is a great decorating idea! Me + piping bag = disaster, so the less I’d have to deal with one, the better.

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 5, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Thanks Yuko.

Yuko Jones | northfield gate,

• Reply Valerie August 6, 2014 at 10:29 am

Great cupcakes, Jillian – with easy to do decoration! I have a children’s party coming up and these will be perfect. Sorry this is your last column, but I’ll check out your own blog!

• Reply The Daydreamer August 6, 2014 at 5:57 pm

What a beautiful and highly tempting finale, Jillian! Sorry to hear you won’t be contributing anymore, but I will keep following you with relish on your own blog! Happy day to you!

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 6, 2014 at 11:18 pm

The Daydreamer,

Thanks so much.

Looking forward to you sharing the journey with me.

• Reply Jenny August 7, 2014 at 6:06 am

These look delicious and I love the simple decoration – will have to try it with my daughter.
    Good Luck in your next venture.

• Reply amanda August 8, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Love your delicious recipes and mouth watering photos – sorry to see you go but will follow your blog instead!

• Reply Liane August 10, 2014 at 7:48 am

These cupcakes taste as delicious as they look! Why is this your last post Jillian? Your recipes, and the accompanying lovely photos that showcase the delicious delights, will leave a gap on this website. Luckily, we can still follow you on your own blog :)

• Reply Jillian Leiboff August 11, 2014 at 1:44 am

Thanks for the kind words Liane. I’ll let Holly explain why the Delicious Bites column is ending.

• Reply decor8 August 11, 2014 at 4:18 pm

@Liane – Thanks for your comment! I’m trying to get my blog focused back on decorating and not so much on cooking, baking, etc. I’ll keep the videos from Liz&Jewels a bit longer because I think they’re unique and inspirational, but I be discontinuing their column at the end of the year. My goal for 2015 is to write decor8 alone again since I don’t want my blog to continue to develop into a team effort – I found that I was losing a connection to my own blog but having so many writers – so now I just have 2 columnists instead of 6 and it already feels like home again for me. Jillian did a lovely job though, she knows I was always happy with her work!

• Reply Mona Kramer August 12, 2014 at 10:43 am

Am trying this recipe this weekend..fingers crossed..will miss the updates! But will follow your path….naturally!
    xx Mona

• Reply Kirstin September 30, 2014 at 6:05 pm

These cupcakes are adorable! I will certainly miss the recipes on the blog, but I understand the direction change! I’m bookmarking this for spring time, these will make some great treats for easter :) Thanks again for the awesome blog- so glad I found it!