Homes with Heart: Scandinavian Pretty Home Tour

If you love sweet pastels, Scandinavian style and the domestic talent that lies behind the blog Yvestown, then you’ll love this home tour because today I am taking you through Yvonne Eijkenduin’s beautiful Belgian abode. Hi guys, it’s Holly Marder back this month on decor8 with another home that’s nothing short of inspirational for my monthly Homes with Heart column. It’s fresh, summery and brimming over with heart. Let’s go, oh and you can click on any image to enlarge and pin!

static.squarespace-1

Photographer, blogger and author of the book Yvestown in de Keuken, Yvonne and husband Boris have poured their heart and soul over the past 6 years renovating their 1896 home on the Belgian border. Originally a six bedroom family home, the house was built for a family and their next door brewery. More than a century after it was first built, the Dutch couple (the home’s third owners) have tackled one section of the property at a time, reviving the home’s own original features and creating a space that exudes love, light and Yvonne’s feminine sense of style.

Whimsical florals layered upon a fresh white base set the stage for a striking collection of vintage finds as well as contemporary pieces. And though Yvonne can’t quite pinpoint the look of her interior to any singular style, she agrees with “Scandinavian Pretty”, a description once made of her home by Joanna Copestick, co-author of Decorate, in which Yvonne’s home featured. “It’s mix ‘n’ match, blending Scandinavian and English design styles,” she says.

yvonne2decor8
yvonne1decor8
yvonne_decor821
yvonne5decor8
yvonne3decor8

The first room in the house for renovating was the kitchen, undergoing a fresh color scheme of crisp white and blue, with hints of red, pink and mint green weaving it’s way through accessories and wallpaper. A zinc-topped kitchen island, open shelving and a traditional range hood gives the room a country look and feel, while wooden countertops, simple white cabinetry and clean lines make for a fuss-free, contemporary country kitchen. The fireplace doubles up as storage, where the couple stash cookbooks and mason jars. “I wanted too have a clean kitchen, that wasn’t too girly, mixing industrial, antique and modern styles,” says Yvonne. The blue door in the kitchen leads to the cheerful guest bathroom, employing a palette of pale blue and white, with charming Portuguese tiling underfoot.

Off the kitchen and in the mud room, a favourite piece adorns a Cath Kidston clad wall, Yvonne’s Tala Vegetable Rack which she picked up in an antiques shop on a trip to the UK. The rack is used to store the couple’s fruit and vegetables and has become one of their favourite vintage finds. “I love that it is in my favourite fire engine red and it looks so great against the floral wallpaper in our mud room. It’s very useful but also very photogenic.” Through the mudroom and into the back garden, Yvonne has poured her love of gardening into a thriving space offering fruits, vegetables and flowers in abundance.

yvonne_decor817
yvonne_decor819
yvonne13decor8
yvonne6decor8
yvonne17decor8
yvonne7decor8
yvonne_decor818
yvonne10decor8
yvonne12decor8

The living room is the couple’s most recent project. Walls were painted a soft creamy colour to add warmth to the large space, while white wooden floors and sporadic pops of pink make for a fresh and feminine space. A penchant for combining furniture styles, and a special sway towards vintage finds, the room effortlessly strikes the balance between the old and the new. Natural weave rugs ground each area and add texture to the space, while the couple’s mantle, refurbished with a fresh coat of paint, Cath Kidston wallpaper and a wood burning stove, breaks the space between the living and dining and creates a focal point. The vintage 1920s Ercol chair is a favourite.

“A vintage Ercol chair was on my wishlist for a very long time but I couldn’t find one in the Netherlands because they’re very British. I kept track of online marketplaces until I found one from a man who was selling his for an absolute steal at just 50 euros.” Yvonne had it reupholstered and it has found a permanent home in the couple’s living room. “I like the design, it’s quite Scandinavian in shape but it’s actually a quintessentially British piece. I always like to mix Nordic pieces with English, and it’s funny because the chair seems to have both of these qualities.”

yvonne11decor8

The newly renovated dining room features a pastel pink painted hutch custom made out of repurposed vintage wood, accented by a spray of vintage plates. “I think plates are a very nice decorating alternative instead of paintings and art. Sometimes you don’t want to eat off a pretty plate but would rather hang it on the wall because it’s a piece of art.” Yvonne has combined both new plates with favourite vintage pieces to modernise an old fashioned concept. The hutch houses a precious collection of vintage china which she has collected over several years. Yvonne began her collection of 1920s Johnson Bros china when they were relatively unpopular and she now has a complete set of what has become a rather valuable collection. “I was recently in the UK and was at a little antique shop that was asking about 15 pounds per plate. I feel as if I have a gold mine in my cabinet now!”

A vibrant acrylic painting in this space makes a striking statement atop a contemporary sideboard, a vignette which offsets the farmhouse farmhouse feel of the rest of the room.

yvonnedecor8002

yvonnedecor8001
yvonne_decor820
The second living space is where the couple come to relax, read and unwind. The piece of art above the piano is a piece by a close friend of Eijkenduijn’s, Dutch artist Auk van Hilten.

yvonne14decor8
yvonne16decor8
yvonne15decor8

Yvonne runs her blog Yvestown from the light and sunny front room, which features a French antique round table and mix of vintage chairs. Some of Yvonne’s favourite finds are her vintage Eames Bertoya wire chairs which she found on the Dutch online marketplace, Marktplaats. “I have wanted to buy a pair for quite some time because they are such a lovely design. When I finally found some for sale they were selling them in a set of four so I shared the purchase with a friend and we each kept two,” Yvonne explains. “In a way they are not really farmhouse vintage which is a style I like, but they compliment the rest of the pieces. They are still vintage but they have very clean lines and therefore go with a lot of things.”

The fire engine red bench is another favourite, the ‘Småland’ bench by the Swedish designer Yngve Ekstrom, scouted for Yvonne by her blogger pal Caroline from Lille Lykke. “I loved it immediately for it’s shape and the bentwood feel and went to pick it up right away for an absolute bargain, much less than it is worth.” Yvonne kept it’s vibrant red colour to add contrast to a wall of Cath Kidston floral wallpaper. “Every room in my home needs a bit of red to offset all the pastel colours.”

yvonnedecor821

boo

Delicate floral wallpapers by Cath Kidston, Eijkenduijn’s favorite designer, can be seen throughout the couple’s home, bringing each space together to form one harmonious picture derived from a palette of pastels. “I just love her aesthetic, her clever floral patterns for the modern day women,” she says. “Cath Kidston is great for mixing and matching, and in combination with a lot of white.”

Eijkenduijn owes her interior design success to understanding her own style. “I know my style. I stick to the palette (white, pink, red, blue, green) and style and it just works,” she says. “If you have a good concept and it flows, stick to your guns.”

So what’s Yvonne’s secret when it comes to combining vintage pieces with newer items? “If you want to mix modern vintage with antique vintage, you have to make sure the lines are very clean. I don’t have a lot of frilly antiques, but I go for the cleaner lines with that Scandinavian feel to them.”

So guys! What do you think? I have visited Yvonne’s home several times now and never fail to be inspired by her consistent sense of style and all round love of interiors. Ah, and her cooking! Make sure you get your hands on a copy of her book. She has some delicious recipes and fabulous interior inspiration in there too.

Spot anything you love? Feel free to ask about it in the comments section below! - Holly

(photos/text: holly marder with the exception of 1st image by Yvonne Eijkenduijn)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours, Homes With Heart on August 07, 2014

1. Colleen Moran commented
    August 7th, 2014 at 5:15pm

I would LOVE to know where those framed city prints are from (she has London and Paris that we can see). What a beautiful home!!

2. Yuko Jones | northfield gate commented
    August 7th, 2014 at 5:22pm

Yvonne’s home is so light, fresh, and pretty! I love the way she mixes vintage and modern pieces. Beautiful!!!
    Yuko Jones | northfield gate´s last blog post ..Seven Years

3. paola commented
    August 7th, 2014 at 5:42pm

Love her house, is my dream house with the cat included! Lol. As interior designer I must say,she is magnifique! Her palete and every piece she choosed is perfectly balanced and creates a space filled with calm and freshness

4. Heather | Three Hearts Home commented
    August 7th, 2014 at 9:04pm

Love this! So bright and cheery, and incredibly cohesive from room to room!
    Heather | Three Hearts Home´s last blog post ..Behind the Scenes: Stamp Making

5. Sandy Deasey commented
    August 7th, 2014 at 10:07pm

Love it! Madly pinning images to my interior inspiration board.

6. Catherine commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 5:40am

Such a pretty home! I could move right in. I love every bit of it right down to the red accents. I absolutely love that red bench.
    Catherine´s last blog post ..Hump Day Colour Inspiration

7. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 7:03am

Oh wow – I love everything about this. The colors are so lovely.
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Adoption Update – 14

8. Georgy commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 7:05am

Yvonne’s home sings of warmth, colour and love! Can we come over for some of those delicious baked goods Yvonne?
    A beautiful home.

9. Lucy Chen commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 8:47am

Apart from the paintings on the walls and many other things, I also LOVE the tulips! They are so beautiful as a big bunch, or just a few. Thank you for sharing, Holly.
    Lucy Chen´s last blog post ..Café Sketches

10. Chi chi Furniture commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 10:31am

What a beautifully light and homely home :O)
    The pastel additions and pops of vibrant colour are spot on, adding warmth and style, without detracting from the mainly all white scheme. I love the pink display cabinet and agree its a great decorating alternative to art.

11. Maria commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 12:34pm

The decoration is lovely, but there are not pictures of the house from the outside. After I read your first paragraph, I was thinking the architectural features of this house must be amazing, but… there are no pictures of the House at all… :-(

12. Yvonne Eijkenduijn commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 3:00pm

Colleen Moran,

You can buy them at http://www.alicetaitshop.com/ Thanks for your lovely comment x
    Yvonne Eijkenduijn´s last blog post ..Snor Festival and Yvestown Market

13. decor8 commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 9:20pm

@Maria – It’s pretty rare that home tours online will show the house from the outside (same for magazines) unless the property is listed for sale. Otherwise, it can pose a security issue to homeowners.

14. Christian Kocx commented
    August 8th, 2014 at 9:49pm

Lovely interior! Love the colours. Job well done, Yvonne!

As someone from The Netherlands, I also bought a house from 1925 just across the border in Belgium. I’ve been renovating it for 7 years it now.

I really like the authentic feel of the house in combination with the personal touch. It’s warm and welcoming.

15. Tina slocum commented
    August 9th, 2014 at 12:07am

I love Yvonne’s taste and her decor! May I inquire who is the artist of the painting above the dining area with the dog in it?

16. Sarah commented
    August 10th, 2014 at 7:54am

Oh I love Yvonne’s home, it’s so sweet, charming and packed with inspiration.

Sarah x
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Pyjama Party

17. Amy Lighthall commented
    August 10th, 2014 at 7:07pm

What a beautiful home! I love all the colors and the wall paper.

18. Leslie-Anne commented
    August 11th, 2014 at 1:39pm

There is nothing I don’t love about Yvonne’s style. It is all so fresh and pretty and looks so comfortable! I would love to drink a cup of tea in her kitchen.

19. Tatjana commented
    August 11th, 2014 at 3:52pm

Congratulations for how lovingly you decorate your home, I really like it :) Thank you for sharing and being an inspiration :)

20. Irina commented
    August 11th, 2014 at 4:27pm

Love Cath Kidston! Although the only thing I own from her is a cup …

21. julia I mintlametta commented
    August 11th, 2014 at 10:05pm

So beautiful! The interior, the colors, a great combination of style, mix of materials … Seems to be a great place to live – all the best julia
    julia I mintlametta´s last blog post ..mint montag # 71

22. Paty commented
    August 13th, 2014 at 3:35am

beautiful pictures, beautiful house!!

23. pam commented
    August 13th, 2014 at 11:19pm

I have been a Yvestown follower for years! I love her style. I would love to know about the scallop table. I have loved it since it first caught my eye. I ‘d love to find one of my own!

24. Patrick commented
    August 14th, 2014 at 11:07am

The design looks absolutely spotless and peaceful.

25. decor8 commented
    August 19th, 2014 at 1:22pm

@Maria – Why would someone WANT photos of the outside of their home posted online with their interior photos? Isn’t that a little too revealing? I’d worry about security…

26. Pom Graphic Design commented
    August 21st, 2014 at 6:47pm

This is so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing. Gorgeous vintage fresh style!
    Pom Graphic Design´s last blog post ..Collaboration For Dakine Women’s 2015 Summer Line

27. Sri commented
    August 27th, 2014 at 4:58am

I appreciate how this home is warm and uncluttered, yet full of the owner’s personality. It’s given me plenty of inspiration for my own home – using a neutral palette as a blank canvas to splash my love of vibrant colour throughout my home. I’d love white floors, but with 4 children, I think I’d be mopping every single day. I’ll enjoy them from afar!

28. Serena commented
    September 1st, 2014 at 12:41pm

I love all of this house… is full of poetry for me, inspirations and creativity
    It’s one of my dream house
    Serena
    Serena´s last blog post ..Un ritorno con il botto: estrazione giveaway & premio

29. www.mbfestudio.com commented
    November 18th, 2014 at 12:06pm

Is wonderfull, i love it :)) Kiss from Spain

30. Anne commented
    November 26th, 2014 at 12:10am

Here you can find beautiful and luxury “dekbedovertrekken”(dutch). Inspiring!