Trends

Micro Trend: Dipped Paintings

December 17, 2014

Dip, baby dip! Dipping anything from forks to baskets, glassware to plates, is most definitely a trend when it comes to decorating. I’m not sure if you noticed it yet in your part of the world, but to add to the dip trend I’ve been seeing more and more dipped paintings – where paintings (usually thrift shop finds) are literally dipped into enamel paint revealing only a small part of the original work. Some handpaint, but the results aren’t the same. And while it’s a micro trend now, this definitely has legs to become more common in certain parts of the world. Have you noticed this? What do you think about it? And I wonder where it originates (Oliver Jeffers maybe?) because it’s quite clever and it must have gotten it’s start from one brilliant mind out there. Do you know? Here are some that I’ve seen and liked. Please click on their links below to view more.
Micro Trend: Dipped Paintings

Oliver Jeffers dipped paintings and details about his gorgeous work and process here. Breathtaking.

Micro Trend: Dipped Paintings My Dear art shop, “Dipped Girl“. Also stunning.

Micro Trend: Dipped Paintings
Inside Closet – Fun and creative.

Micro Trend: Dipped Paintings

Around the web from bloggers…. 1. Brit & Co DIY dipped frames – not the same but sort of an inspired by idea. 2. This one was made by Something Savage. 3. Another DIY for dipped artwork, this time from DIY Candy — and look! There’s my book Decorate! 4. More dipped art DIY’s on Homeedit by Francesca Stone from Fall For DIY.

What do you think? Do you like dipped art? Would you try this at home?

I’d like to try this with old photographs that I find at the flea markets here in Germany. I know, I know… Lots of vintage fans would HATE that thought but in my opinion, some photos are just not that pretty for display and are being stored in bins and drawers anyway so why not give them a new spin so you CAN display them again… Hmmmm. Makes me think about a little craft project I could try now. :)

(images linked to their sources above)

17 Comments

• Reply Laura @ Rather Square December 17, 2014 at 3:40 pm

This trend is so cool. It makes me want to go out and get a bunch of salvage paintings and start dipping! I know the idea of altering thrift-store paintings has been around for a while, but the dipping part looks really fun. I especially like that the frames are incorporated as part of the whole piece – I think if the paintings were dipped and then framed, the whole feel of this concept would be missing. Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Jaclyn December 17, 2014 at 5:16 pm

What a fun idea! I love the “Dipped Girl” piece best!

• Reply In Case Of Need December 17, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Some i really like. Especially the once on the top, as the have something mysterious.

• Reply Nicola Fanstone December 17, 2014 at 6:14 pm

I love this trend! It’s a great way to add something eye catching and interesting to your wall.

• Reply Heather P. December 17, 2014 at 6:30 pm

I think the first time I saw this was on The Glamourai, where they did something similar to her boyfriend’s new restaurant design. The painting was dipped, and the surrounding wall was painted the same color below it:

This seems like a great way to salvage a painting/photo that is damaged or not in use. I really like the use of black paint – very graphic and bold!

• Reply Tara December 17, 2014 at 8:07 pm

This is interesting. I’m going to remain undecided on how I feel about this right now, as I think it might just take some getting used to.

• Reply Ellen Kirkendall December 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm

I like the idea of it, although not necessarily these examples. What I like about it is the idea of treating art with a sense of play, whether adding color dipping, glitter, or other treatments.

• Reply Lucy Chen December 18, 2014 at 2:25 am

This looks fun! Although I’m pretty sure if we’d only be dipping prints and not originals.

• Reply Beth December 18, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Art is made to push boundaries……I wouldn’t have dreamed of painting my nails with turquoise nail polish a few years ago either! I’ll be in NYC at the Matisse Exhibit at the MOMA this weekend….His now famous and highly coveted Cut Outs were frowned upon in their day!!

• Reply Tutumutti December 18, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Beth,

And what if you only paint the frame and the glass, not the photos?
    Tutumutti

• Reply Lucy Chen December 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm

Beth,

His cut out may look easy but it’s actually quite difficult to do. And to come up with it originally, well, you know.

• Reply Home Decorating Blog December 19, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Lyka Walton December 19, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I don’t think I could dip a whole painting, BUT I did stumble on some dipped frames on Pinterest and love that idea.

• Reply Charles December 20, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I think it is truly awful.

• Reply Michelle December 27, 2014 at 5:46 am

Charles,
    I agree with you Charles, just so awful and stupid

• Reply Bella Q March 13, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Ha ha- a interior designer pal was trying to explain this trend to me- and I just couldn’t visualize it. Your post is great- and now I can see it and want to try it myself!

• Reply Marcelo Gama December 30, 2015 at 11:18 am

I love this kind of trend bringing some sense of humor in the decoration but still elegant. And it’s a great solution for those “not so great” pictures everyone has at home hahahaha