From The Heart, Ramblings

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

March 26, 2015

I’ve been so busy lately with work and play (my birthday was last weekend), my little boy running everywhere and organizing play dates (he has more of a social life than me), it’s all exciting but also tiring because of the stupid weather. It continues to drag on in this dull and gray depression and my goodness do I need the sunshine. This morning I woke up, after it was sunny and in the 60s yesterday for the first time in forever and looked out the window and was like WHUUTT. Because yesterday I stayed home all day working and reasoned that the good weather would continue today (I’m an optimist) so I could go out today. NOPE. Didn’t happen. I saw a quote yesterday on the beyond lovely IG account of @verdenius (who works for Jamie mag in the Netherlands) that read, “People don’t notice whether it’s winter or summer when they’re happy”. I wonder if this is really true. Is noticing the weather a sign that you’re in some kind of misery?

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

Maybe it’s just young people or people who just sorta coast who don’t notice. Like me in my twenties. I never thought about the weather. I never sat around wondering what will happen this weekend OUTSIDE. Will it be sunny? Warm? Cold? WHO CARED when I was 22. I only cared about boys and clothes and work. Now I’m a million years older and the weather forecast is ALL I THINK ABOUT.

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

Why do we get old and talk about the damn weather so much? I’m not bored. I’m very busy. Life is good. Yet the weather is something I think about more than the stuff I should be thinking about. Perhaps we think about the weather when we live in shitty weather places. Yeah, that must be it. I grew up on the beach in sunny South Carolina. I moved to Boston after high school and back then, I don’t remember 100 feet of snow in the winter. It was different weather-wise in New England when there was four distinct seasons. At least I think. When I left New England in 2009, the weather was extreme. Nor’easter (is that how you spell it?) every dumb day until like May. I got the heck out and thought Germany would be the promise land because there is so little snowfall over here and I reasoned anything is better than opening your front door to a wall of snow that reaches your neck.

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

Wrong.

We don’t get much snow, this winter none at all. But we do get dark angry clouds that pee on us constantly and frown down in their big gray stinky moods. And then they disappear in seconds and it’s sunny and perfect. You are tricked and so you jump into something cute to wear and run outside and boom! The big gray master of disaster cloud guy is back looking down, only this time shooting lightening bolts and laughing in his best brew-ha-harrrr voice. So then you ditch the idea to go lay on the grass in the park or chase your kid at the playground because it’s pissy again and you just feel super annoyed and wonder what has made you such a weather freak anyway? Like who cares, can’t you still lay in the grass in the park with rain pouring down on you and lightening bolts dancing in the skies? Not unless you want to die.

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

So that’s how weather is here. It’s moody and annoying. It’s kind of like that Laurel character on The Arrow, Katie Cassidy, who is constantly like “Dad” insert uncomfortable long pause “Dad, I’m sorry”. And is acting like she is such a sweet sort of lost girlfriend type who is suddenly studying how to become a ninja and then begins bashing people over the head, while all of the time, being all sensitive to her father and nearly crying whenever Arrow tells her she can’t fight. The weather here is very Laurel. Annoying. By the way I only watch The Arrow because I’m blown away by the amazing acting (not), incredible fight scenes (no) great storyline (ah, no again) and Stephen Amell (yes!).

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

Ok so now it’s your turn, what are you guys doing? I’m actually prepping for a shoot this weekend. With a photographer, makeup artist, models, props and everything! Weeee! You can follow that chaos and adventure on my Instagram @decor8 if you feel a tad interested. I’ll be grammin’ on Sunday and Monday to show you a few behind-the-scenes. The photos will end up being used in a few projects, the most significant for my newly designed e-course site that we’ll be launching in April.

From The Heart: Do Happy People Notice The Weather?

Hope you are all doing good!

How’s the weather?

(photos: Marieke Verdenius)

45 Comments

• Reply Sage @ Plaster&Disaster March 26, 2015 at 1:21 pm

i couldn’t agree more! I’m in my twenties (barely) and live in Boston, and the weather is 50% or more of what I think about (especially this winter, but pretty much most of the time). Especially if you enjoy outdoor activities, your life is very dependent on weather. I’m a runner, for instance, and the weather report for the week seems to dictate my whole life. I’d love to live somewhere where it could be more of a background fixture in my life — I think that would require something more temperate/consistent! It’s kind of exhausting to think about weather so constantly!

• Reply julie March 26, 2015 at 2:13 pm

UGH and every winter I say, “THIS IS MY LAST ONE UP HERE” (in the North East US). And I’ll say it again next winter. I grew up in Atlanta and thought I was trading off humidity for snow showers… nobody told me it was just as humid in Philadelphia. Weather is everything. Weather can determine how productive I feel, how many plans I feel like keeping, etc. It’s EVERYTHING!

• Reply Silkie Lloyd March 26, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Hey Holly
    Sounds like you are in need of a lovely family holiday – I remember my first when my son was small – blimey I needed it so bad – it was just a no brainer package holiday but sunshine, sitting by a pool & a good book & splashing about with my little guy was total joy. Hope the sunshine comes to you soon :)
    Silkie x

• Reply Sheneela Akram March 26, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Thank goodness! I thought it was only “silly me” who keeps thinking about the weather all the time. Nice to meet you! :D
    Well, as for the weather, you are always welcome in Lahore (Pakistan) because its really getting hot and hotter here. Uncle Sun is really making his mark in our part of the world. Woo! Feels like being a turkey in the oven. And above all, there are about 6 more months of hot heat that we are going to see.
    But really, that “dark angry clouds pee on us” thing was really a good one. Made me LOL.

• Reply sara mcavoy March 26, 2015 at 2:59 pm

I live in the UK and the weather here is always so grey and dreary that most days blend into one! We had a super sunny day yesterday and it loverrrrrly…except for the fact I spent the whole day at my desk at work. Can’t wait for the summer!
    xx

• Reply Candice@NotesFromABroad March 26, 2015 at 3:06 pm

I’m with julie on this .. I grew up in North Carolina and California .. now I live in New York. I can’t remember what the ground looks like, there has been feet .. FEET ! of snow on the ground for months … feels like years … I wanna go back to North Carolina !

• Reply Lucia March 26, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I have never worried about the weather living in South America … until I moved to Germany … and then I got 30 or more days in a row without seeing the sun during my first days there!!! The cold, the snow, the everything else was ok, but the luck of sun? too difficult to handle! And that was every year again and again, Now I’m back in my country, and winter or gray days don’t scare me at all, I know that after a few days the sun will shine again. On the other side, the summer is unmanageable, high humidity every single day makes me even want to be under the no sun of Germany again!
    So if I were you I would cut the no sun row with a little vacation on the south!!! Like Italy, you know that crossing the alps the sun is shinning more often…. I still don’t know what to do on summer here, 3 months at the ocean is not possible so air conditioner is the way to survive at least for now.

• Reply dianne e March 26, 2015 at 3:17 pm

I agree! This has been the most miserable ever. Here in providence it has been pretty bad but we got half the snow that Boston did. The potholes are real man eaters – I lost two already. But enough of my whining, today is a good day for art and that is what I will do.

• Reply Johanne March 26, 2015 at 3:30 pm

You have been searching for that Scandinavian feeling, and now you’ve found it. It is weather dependent.
    I felt happy all last week, even though I was like super busy. This week though; depressed, but less busy (oh and it’s cloudy and raining)

Ps. I love your blog, and am a long time follower but will you please increase your font size?? :D I rarely make it to the end of the text, but love the pics

• Reply Liz Piccione-Volger March 26, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Hahaha! You are tooooo funny! I hear you on being obsessed with the weather but in my case its the opposite. I live in inland southern California and I am constantly looking to see how HOT its going to be. Today its going to be 90 degrees. That is not Spring weather!! In the Summer its over 100 degrees for too many consecutive days. Although I wouldn’t trade with the Northeast this is just too hot. I wish we could order up our weather every day. For me Spring should be 55-75 degrees and mostly sunny with occasional days of light showers, please!

• Reply linda March 26, 2015 at 4:16 pm

yup, can totally relate. it’s been very gloomy, either cloudy or rainy here in italy as well. when a good sunny day comes along, suddenly i’m all perked up! hah! I wonder if it has to do with getting older and perhaps more cognizant of our surroundings. Maybe we actually care more about things like the weather, as opposed to material items? Hah, that’s what I would like to think!

I’ve been busy working on a project for April launch as well… Spring is here and I hope there will be more sunny days to come – puh-leaseee!

• Reply Cate Lawrence March 26, 2015 at 4:26 pm

i always notice the weather, especially at the moment as I am moving to Berlin tomorrow and I wanted to do a photoshoot today of some recipes for my next recipe book but Leipzig is just totally grey and dark today! It makes photo planning a pain…

• Reply Becci March 26, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I laughed, because i’m 21 and thinking a lot about the weather. When it’s sunny, i’m pretty happy and productive, but i dont want to do chores inside the house. So springcleaning will happen next week, the weatherforecast says its rainy and cloudy – perfect for cleaning inside. ;)
    But we had a lot of sunshine last week here in austria, so i just think you should consider moving to austria ;)) (We had SNOW, too! But i dont want you to feel uncomfortable, there’s good weather in germany also. ;) )

greetings, rebecca

• Reply Cattie March 26, 2015 at 4:32 pm

So true! I live in Boston so I know exactly what you mean (and I too promise myself that every winter will be the last I spend here)! Having said that, it is also so true that it doesn’t matter nearly as much when you’re happy. When I’m shooting, I forget what’s going on around me, it doesn’t matter if it’s so cold I would normally not leave the house, if there is a photo I want to take, I’ll go out and take it, and enjoy myself while doing it! I remember when I was in photography school, I was out shooting on Newbury Street one night, and it was so cold, the shutter of my camera froze open! (this was in the days before digital) It didn’t close until I had been inside for like 10 minutes. Crazy! :-)

• Reply Lolo March 26, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Somehow, I always managed to keep the weather as an external thing. It usually does affect me very much. It’s nice to have something unpredictable. I also live in Boston. Unless it destroys my source of income or my home, I really don’t mind it.

• Reply Lolo March 26, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Sorry, I meant, the weather usually does NOT affect me.

:-)

• Reply Andorinha March 26, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Hi there, I feel your pain completely. I lived in Amsterdam for 6 years, and I’m Portuguese. My first “summer” in NL I couldn’t use a single pair of sandals, always with my boots on. My dresses were in the closet all “summer”, I had a winter coat on, at all times.
    Winters are a sequence of uncountable days of a grey cloud, and that cloud is continuously around 1,5 meters away from the floor.
    I had never thought about the weather until I lived in NL. Portugal is not the Caribe, but we do have summer and spring, and Autumn, and Winter is just raining, no biggy, 3 months and its gone.
    So yes, you only think about the weather when you live in places with shitty weather. The bad news? You will never stop doing that again, everybody gets traumatized after the Nordics and all one wants to do is be under the sun, go somewhere warm, see the sky, see the sea, go to the beach even if you hate it.
    The good news? You are absolutely free to move to another country, maybe not now or today, but for sure very soon. I moved back to Portugal, and I’m happier then a spring bird!
    I like your blog :)

• Reply Izzy March 26, 2015 at 6:15 pm

It could be a geographic thang, Holly. I live in the Netherlands and it’s a topic EVERYONE talks about (including young people). We can have four seasons in one day and sometimes you really don’t know what to wear. The Mister and I would love to move some place warm in the hopefully near future. Where you wouldn’t discuss the weather on a daily basis, ’cause it’s consistently pleasant. That would be such a luxury ;-) .

Hopefully the weather will be much better for you soon, so you can finally enjoy the outdoors! Looking forward to seeing the results of the shoot; have fun!!

• Reply Juju Sprinkles March 26, 2015 at 8:45 pm

What a great post! I have to agree on the obsession with weather nowadays. It does affect me sometimes. Living in San Francisco, I can’t really complain except of the occasional fog in my neighborhood. I like to think that weather is weather, we should keep positive regardless of how gloomy the outside looks =)

• Reply The Office Stylist March 26, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Haha, I can totally relate. The weather is all that I think of. Thank goodness for the sunshine in SoCal.

• Reply Iara March 26, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I could have written this post. seriously. It is probably the kind of thing that happens to us, foreign people living in Germany. I look to the weather forecast several times a day. I am not obssessed but it is part of my daily routine LOL I am living in Germany for 15 years and learned to enjoy each and every sunny day, spaecially now I have kids ;)

• Reply Jan Fawke March 26, 2015 at 10:40 pm

You should all move to Sydney! At the moment its perfect Autumn weather..cool mornings, warm days, cool evenings. Mind you, the summer humidity kills me! So we are never happy where we are. I too am obsessed by the weather report. My partner laughs at me, but a girl needs to plan her outfit.

• Reply Katie March 26, 2015 at 11:25 pm

You write so beautifully, I’m absolutely enthralled! The photos are also making me so relaxed and minimalist! Katie xx

• Reply Stacy / Boulevard House + Life March 26, 2015 at 11:48 pm

I’ve gotta say that I’m 23 (24 in less than 2 weeks!) and I think about the weather constantly…but I think that’s because it’s always changing here in the Pacific Northwest. Or maybe I am unhappy, who knows! I like to think that I”m happy, but I’m even happier when it’s sunny :) Interesting idea to think about though.

• Reply Janet March 27, 2015 at 12:26 am

I need an warm sunny day soon! I feel like I am vitamin D deficient at this point. The snow is melting here and that is a plus.

I am sitting here enjoying Modern Family on TV and reading blogs. Two more days of work this week!!

Have a good evening.

• Reply Libby from Libby's Lifestyle March 27, 2015 at 2:23 am

Autumn is just beginning to show its face here. The nights are cool enough to sleep under a light blanket or two. The days beautiful, sunny, clear. The ocean still warm enough to swim in. After the Easter bunny visits, the cooler weather sets in, not cold enough for snow, just the odd frost. But snow is so beautiful. It creates such magical scenes. I don’t think I could live through a snow filled Winter though.

• Reply Jess March 27, 2015 at 3:15 am

I live in Tasmania, Australia, and we have typical “4 seasons in a day” type weather here. Like Germany, it doesn’t snow in winter unless you live in high altitude but it gets damn cold and when you head to work and come home from work in the dark it can feel very dull and gloomy indeed. My mum always says “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only poorly dressed people” – after buying lots of warm clothing and water resistant jackets, I try not to let the weather get in my way anymore! :)

• Reply Trina McNeilly March 27, 2015 at 3:20 pm

I think it does have something to do with age, and having children AND where you are originally from. I remember thinking it was so weird how much my grandparents talked about the weather and how one parent started to plan things around the weather and what the weather channel said. So much so that my sister said she was going to do a documentary on people and the weather channel. For a season it was the background noise in our home. Instead of the radio, the weather channel on. I grew up outside of Chicago. It’s grey a lot. Cold alot. SNOW a lot. I moved to Altanta right after I got married…my husband is from there. I didn’t think much of it. I knew it would be warmer and humid…but it gets pretty humid in the mid-west in July. I had no idea how much I would hate the heat. Like felt like I couldn’t survive it. Suddenly, I was craving grey days. When it rained there it was like for 2 hours and then gone. I missed full on rainy and moody days. Now we live back near Chicago and my husband hates it here. I’m certainly beginning to think the lack of sun is having a huge affect on my mood….I can see it when I travel and then return. I think happiness does come from within and makes a huge difference, but no sun has a physical effect too. It’s certainly an interesting topic and converation. Hoping sun heads to Germany and Chicago soon! xo . t

• Reply Linda Arandas March 27, 2015 at 5:13 pm

my mood is so influenced by the weather, and living in Western PA…that’s not a good thing! in order to combat the snow (rain & mud & clouds too) I try to bring a bit of Spring inside throughout the year. currently i’ve been planting mini terrariums of succulents & herbs in egg shells (see some examples on my IG if you’d like… linda_arandas )…also I’ve tried forcing bulbs this winter. I used to laugh when my mom obsessed & complained about the weather…and now I’ve become her. oh dear :)

• Reply Michelle March 28, 2015 at 4:57 am

Haha, all you had to do was move to Oregon! I lived in Germany for a year and a half, and had been told repeatedly how similar the climate was. So true! Though Germany is filled with beautiful old buildings we don’t have. Here the saying goes, “If you don’t like the weather, wait five minutes!”

• Reply Marinda March 28, 2015 at 9:48 am

The weather always gets me worked up, too (I live in the Netherlands)! It feels as if I’m always working when the sun is shining and having the day off when it is raining. Still, I’m lucky to be a winter person and I can stand a lot of rain and cold. By the way, this post was very funny and had me laughing at loud!

• Reply Kim B. March 28, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Holly — that was such a vibrant piece of writing about something that we think is such a mundane subject!!! I’m sorry to say that your frustrations with the fickle weather made me chuckle — but only because you articulated it so well and with such humor. We’re certainly in the same situation here in Paris: gray and rainy for weeks and weeks. I don’t mind so much for myself, but my sister-in-law’s friend and her husband are here visiting for a treat for her 40th birthday,and I just wish they’d had more than one sunny day. Yes, Paris is beautiful even when it’s gray — but it’s even more beautiful if it’s sunny and Spring has sprung!!!

Hang in there! Besides the Chekhov quote, are the rest your photos? The architecture in Hannover looks sooooo beautiful.

• Reply Kim B. March 28, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Oops, I’m a nerd, I see they’re all Marieke’s photos. Off to follow her on IG thanks to your tip! Don’t know why I didn’t look properly before asking a question that was easily answered right on your page which I should have known it would be!!

• Reply Beth March 28, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I think happy people think about the weather! Doesn’t part of being mindful consist of noticing the things around us and making the best of them?

• Reply Nicole nicol March 29, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Haha you make me laugh so much. I’m in Australia near Sydney and I guess our weather is pretty good. But I’ve always been obsessed by the weather. And my hubby being a surfer always knows it and the wind direction so I can always know which will be the best place to go for the park, beach whatever. I do also think that happy people do think of the weather …but when the weather is bad it brings me down. Also once you have kids you do want to plan what to do with them and there is nothing worse than active little boys being trapped inside …

• Reply Christine Enyart-Elfers March 29, 2015 at 8:17 pm

It’s interesting the emotions we experience with the weather. Living on the coast of California – halfway between San Francisco & Los Angeles, we marvel at the perfect weather we experience daily. I should “pinch myself” at having something that someone else would love – but, I had to chuckle that I’ve been complaining that we are currently having unseasonably warm weather. Upper 70’s to low 80’s farenheit. And, I’m guilty of complaining that it’s TOO warm. Guess we have to reframe our thoughts, huh?

• Reply Jane March 30, 2015 at 2:10 am

I think it has to do with control. The fact that people can’t control the weather infuriates and scares them. We have managed to erase all but a few surprises in our lives as we work to control every little aspect of living. People instagram, tweet and Facebook themselves in detailed minutia in an attempt to control how they are perceived. The sex of unborn babies must be known in advance so as to be prepared (as if!). Lives are micromanaged, planned and scheduled to avoid any surprises. We’ve lost the ability to be truly in awe by a surprise; so, darn that weather for making us uncomfortable by reminding us we’re not the boss of everything!

• Reply decor8 March 31, 2015 at 9:59 pm

@Jane – I don’t think it has anything to do with control (for me at least) because I’m not one of these perfectionist control freaks that you speak of. I’m actually very laid back BUT when it comes to the weather, I watch it more frequently now that ever before because everything I do depends on it since we only walk outdoors with our baby, I never drive our car, so all errands are run on foot and I want him outside every day for fresh air if possible. However the past three days it’s been hailing so we couldn’t go out and it’s been so hard on him because he loves being outside. If it’s snowing or even lightly raining, we wing it and go anyway, but when we have windy days, stormy days, t-storms, hail, heavy snow – we have to stay in and neither of us like it. Having a baby made me very weather dependent!

• Reply Wrenaissance Art April 1, 2015 at 12:24 am

I think that you DO notice the weather regardless of mood, it’s just that your mood skews your memory of the weather.
    For example, if you fall in love with your soulmate during a rainy spring, you’ll remember coming out of the movie theatre & seeing a rainbow at sunset. You’ll remember the afternoon you splashed in puddles like kids, or how he held the umbrella over you at the bus stop.
    Likewise, remember the Rolling Stones’ song, “Paint It Black”? It’s about a funeral in the summer.
    Like Jess said upthread

• Reply Wrenaissance Art April 1, 2015 at 12:31 am

Whoops, hit enter too quick!
    Like Jess said, “there’s no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing!”
    It’s a lot easier to get out for fresh air in the rain and sleet if you’ve got good layers and proper boots.
    It’s the lack of sunlight that really is the challenge to staying upbeat during Northern Europe winters–hope the sun returns soon for you!

• Reply Jane April 1, 2015 at 1:10 am

Can you tell I live in NYC, and am surrounded by control freaks? This winter nearly put some of them over the edge!

• Reply emma lamb April 1, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Welcome to my world! Great post Holly! The weather has ruled my life like this for as long as I can remeber having lived all of it in the North East of England and Scotland… this is our winter and mostly we all hate it! Now you know why we bitch about it so much… ;) When the summer comes along we drop just about everything else and run outside… I am perpetually looking forward to those days. x

• Reply kquotes April 2, 2015 at 3:29 pm

this was in the days before digital) It didn’t close until I had been inside for like 10 minutes. Crazy! :-) love quotes

• Reply Marieke Verdenius April 11, 2015 at 11:10 pm

Hi Holly,
    Thank you for your kind mention on your blog about my instagram account! I just found out you wrote this on your blog, even though it’s mainly about another subject, I really appreciate it.
    All the best,
    Marieke Verdenius
    Amsterdam

• Reply decor8 April 13, 2015 at 9:26 am

@Marieke – You’re welcome, so many people thanked me for leading them to your IG account so hopefully you found some more followers too!