Decorating Tips, Tabletop

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

October 19, 2015

It’s Monday, a new week and new inspiration to be found! This is Anke and I’m back with a new theme for you this month, today with an autumnal table for you. Let’s celebrate the golden month of October with warm colors, oak wood, soul food and beautiful flowers. Before I develop my ideas for table decor I usually begin with my current color crush. Lately I’m falling for ochre yellow, which is a bit brownish, like curry powder. I enjoy viewing the autumn forest so much and have noticed lots of ochre this year. Do you have a favorite color at the moment? What is it?

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

When it comes to eating, my go-to food at this time of the year is a hot and creamy soup. In my photos you’ll see a pureed pumpkin potato soup garnished with roasted seeds, fresh parsley and coarsely grounded black pepper. If desired my guests can help themselves with french farmhouse bread, homemade herb butter and fleur de sel (which you’ll always find on my table as I am a little addicted to it). I also like the idea of serving soup in small espresso cups for an amuse-bouche. I found a non-alcoholic apple quince apéritif in our local shop the other day. A perfect fit for autumn cuisine.

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

My table decoration combines rustic elements such as cutting boards, small butter knives with a wooden grip, and clear simple design such as my plain white tableware and thick tea candle glasses. I added the little oak houses because I like playful details and autumn reminds me of how cozy it is at home.

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

The four cotton napkins were formerly two aprons. I purchased them at a gorgeous store in Amsterdam when I was out shopping for napkins. I’m not the most talented sewer but I can manage on small projects such as for napkins, pillowcases and anything else that only requires me to sew in a straight line!

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

I hand cut some petite branches with leaves using paper with the “Autumn” banner as an template. Paper will always be my favorite craft material, you too? The vases on my table are filled with loosely arranged huge mums (Japanese Chrysanthemum), protea, dahlias and two different kind of eucalyptus.

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining

I hope that you have enjoyed this autumn-themed setting. I also want to thank you so much for your kind comments on the first article of my column here on decor8. If you have any questions about a recipe, please you contact me through email which you can find on my blog. Have a comfy autumn everyone and see you again in November! – Anke

(text, styling, photography: Anke Illner /Tabletop: Ideas For October Entertaining Text edits: Holly Becker)

13 Comments

• Reply monsieurmuffin October 19, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Liebe Anke,

da habe ich die Bilder gesehen und wusste sofort die sind von dir. Wieder mal wunderschön.

Zuckersüße Grüße

Jenni

• Reply Izzy October 19, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Dear Holly,
    I’m sorry for posting this message as a comment as it is off-topic (I don’t expect you to publish it – in fact, please don’t, since it features my e-mail address – I just don’t know how else to reach you!). But I sent you two e-mails last week after you approached me through Instagram regarding my winning your Zazzle contest. I never received a reply and just wanted to check if you have received my messages. Please let me know if you have, I’d really appreciate it! Like I mentioned in my messages, there’s no rush whatsoever but I just want to know if you received them!
    Aside from my Gmail account as mentioned in this comment form, I can also be reached through izzy@nearnoise.com. Thanks so much for your feedback!
    Warm regards,
    Izzy

• Reply Holly Becker October 27, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Hi Izzy – Yes I replied and sent you and email and so did Zazzle – did you not get it yet?

• Reply Mnêmosunê October 19, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Hi Anke, Hi Holly,
    What a beautiful post, thanks for sharing ! Truly love the flowers, so beautiful !
    I was wondering where did you find these super cute butter knives ? I’m looking for some and I have hard time to find ones that suit my taste…
    Have a nice day !

• Reply gabriella October 19, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Oh my, this tables cape is just beautiful. Saving it and using it for Thanksgiving! I love the light and airy elements here – especially when mixed in with some wood.

g.

• Reply Estelle October 19, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I love how you are able to match the food with the table decor. Everything is amazing !

• Reply Vera October 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Anke is simply the best.

• Reply Stefanie October 19, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Lustig- ich habe die gleiche Schürze heute gekauft, um daraus eine patchworkdecke zu nähen! Bei uns in Enschede gab’s auch Servietten in den Muster zu kaufen- dille und kamille ist einfach toll!!!

• Reply Deirdre Powell October 19, 2015 at 11:58 pm

What a fantastic table setting. Great idea for the flowers and I’m going to use cutting boards on my place setting now.

• Reply Tina October 20, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Dear Anke,
    just can call it beautiful! I love it!
    Hope we can read soon from you. (Please!!!)

• Reply fantas-tisch October 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Dear Mnemosune,
    the small butter knives are from Dille and Kamille,
    I bought them in Amsterdam.
    They have a webshop too! Just search for “botermesje”
    at http://www.dille-kamille.nl
    Anke

• Reply Julia von Tiergezwitscher October 21, 2015 at 9:58 am

I´d die to be one of your guest!!!

• Reply Julia (mammilade) October 22, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Dear Holly, dear Anke,

i am just speechless…
    So delightful, harmonic, airy, aesthetic and full of passion!
    Compliments!!!