Recipes

Recipe: Chocolate Babka

November 26, 2015

Would you like to learn how to make the ultimate holiday comfort food, a chocolate babka? Oh yes! Hello everyone, this is Liz and I’m back with another delicious recipe for the month. Only a few days until first Advent! Slowly I’m getting into the mood. As the days grow shorter and the leaves have been blown from the trees completely, now I like thinking of cozy December weekends.

Recipe: Chocolate Babka

A few weeks ago my newest book (Available only in German) that I co-authored with Lars Wentrup with special photography by Brooklyn-based photographer Julia Cawley, New York Christmas, was published after months of work. We were excited to finally see our “baby” in the bookstores. After months of work in 2014, baking and cooking, shooting the recipes and designing the book, it always seems like a little miracle when you finally see the result. With this book we want to invite our readers on a journey to the Big Apple during Christmas time. The book is filled with delicious cookies, cakes and pies, festive main courses and seasonal sides and salads. We assembled over 50 recipes for celebrating the season.

Recipe: Chocolate Babka

Recipe: Chocolate Babka

Recipe: Chocolate Babka

Here is a recipe from the book for Chocolate Babka that we hope you will try and enjoy this holiday season.

Chocolate Babka

For the dough:
290 g flour
3/4 package dried yeast
40 g sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs
60 ml lukewarm milk
70 g butter

For the filling:
50 g hazelnuts or almonds (skins removed, roughly chopped)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
70 g dark chocolate (70%)
50 g butter
25 g powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa powder

butter for the pan

For the dough combine flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the eggs, milk and butter and knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Place plastic wrap over the bowl and let the dough rise for 1 hour.

In the meantime roast the nuts in a pan. Caramelize them with the sugar. In another pot, melt the chocolate with the butter and let cool. Add the powdered sugar and cocoa and stir until smooth.

Butter a loaf pan. Place the dough onto a floured workspace and roll the dough to a rectangle (approx. 35×25 cm). Spread the chocolate filling evenly onto the dough, sparing the edges. Sprinkle with caramelized nuts. Tightly roll up the dough from the short side. Then slice the roll in two along its length with a sharp knife so that the layers fan out. Combine the ends and twist the two cords. The cut face should show upwards. Place the twisted cords into the loaf pan and let rise for 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 175 degrees Celcius. Bake the Babka for 30-35 minutes. If it turns too dark during baking, cover with aluminum foil. Let cool completely before serving.

I hope that you will enjoy this yummy cake! – Liz

(Photos: Julia Cawley except for food photo: Lisa Nieschlag)

16 Comments

• Reply Anaïs November 26, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Oh my god it looks delicious, I will definitly try this one ! Do you think your book will be translated in english or in french some day ? I would love to discover new recipes like this one but unfortunatly I don’t speak german (thank you for posting this Chocolate Babka recipe in english !)

Have a good day,

Anaïs

• Reply bshujewelry November 26, 2015 at 1:53 pm

The pictures are gorgeous! Really makes me want to go to NY during christmas :) Thank you for the recipe, I’ve been looking for a cake like this!!

• Reply janet November 26, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Beautiful photographs :-)
    The babka looks and sounds delicious, I fully intend to try this recipe – thank you1

• Reply Aidel.K November 26, 2015 at 3:24 pm

This looks delicious! Looking forward to trying it soon.

• Reply Arianna November 26, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Is it real??? It looks so tasty and yummy! Now it´s my list of wonderful sweet things to eat at Christmas, thanks!

O, and the pictures are amazing!

• Reply Elena November 27, 2015 at 9:48 am

Hello, how many grams of yeast? Or how big is the packet of yeast you refer to? Here in Australia they come in 7gram sachets. Thank you!

• Reply Ellie November 28, 2015 at 6:19 am

Please translate this for us…..don’t know what 960g flour means. It certainly looks yummy. Thanks.

• Reply Sera @ Caramel Crew December 1, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Looks so delish, I have never tried anything like this before. Weekend baking project, here I come! Thanks for the inspiration! xo

• Reply Gabriele December 2, 2015 at 4:46 pm

So I imagine Christmas in New York ! The pictures are great and the recipe I’ll try at the weekend . Thanks for that

• Reply Liz December 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Dear Anais, right now we don’t know of a translation, but we don’t know what the publisher has planned.
    Best, Liz

• Reply Whitney Shortt December 11, 2015 at 6:24 am

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it

• Reply Travis Ward December 22, 2015 at 4:02 am

Gorgeous article! I’m really looking forward to trying this and sharing with my team at Patch of Earth. Yummy recipe and beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing. This is yet another great reason for me to learn German. :)

• Reply Vanni December 27, 2015 at 4:27 pm

thanks for your recipe <3 we made it for christmas.. fabulous delicious! best wishes from germany :) vanni

• Reply silvina January 2, 2016 at 12:06 am

Thank you for this recipe !! I made yesterday for dinner New Year and it was very good !! I love your blog, I continue for many years. I am your admirer. It is very inspiring! I love!! Thank you. Greetings from Argentina!! Silvina

• Reply Katrina Giogakis September 3, 2016 at 9:44 am

Hello! Such a nice recipe.. I’m from Greece and I’d loooove to have your book but I cannot find it anywhere. Could you please help me?